ADVERTISEMENT

Region 1B

Nov 24, 2006
the region many consider to be the weakest coming into the season is turning interesting. Brunswick moved down and has been playing well (Beat 4A Mecklenburg and 2A Nottoway) and they are always blessed with tough athletes and speed. Altavista just beat Appomattox in the game I thought was a typo when I saw the score and Sussex Central has been on a roll since their week 1 game vs. Essex

I respect your opinion but imo Region B is Sussex’s time time to shine and I don’t think it’s close.

Brunswick’s two wins you mentioned are against teams with a combined 2-10 record. Kudos for beating the teams they are supposed to but I dont see that leading to a region title.

Altavista at 4-1 look good on paper but their win against an average William Campbell team is their other decent win. Appo isn’t Appo right now so we will see how significant that win ends up being.

As o see it with a few weeks left, it’s Sussex and Altavista fighting for wins and points enough to host. May end up being a good game when it starts turning cold

Might be wildest region in Division 1 this year. Doing points I think you’ll see a clear divide between top 4 and bottom 4, but beware, depending on the matchup, and this is just all conjecture. I’m interested to see Buffalo Gap. They run an offense that the teams at the top don’t see often until postseason. And BG is playing pretty much all 2A and above competition. But that is just conjecture probably as they are likely to finish 1-9/2-8

Gap has had a number of injuries to deal with and may start seeing some of that clear up. Also replacing several key players has been challenging for the staff this season. When they are on, they sure are tough but can/will they be ready for a deep run likely on the road?

Gap has had a number of injuries to deal with and may start seeing some of that clear up. Also replacing several key players has been challenging for the staff this season. When they are on, they sure are tough but can/will they be ready for a deep run likely on the road?
I wouldn’t put them in for a deep run, but get healthy and face a team that’s used to defending nothing but spread teams all regular season and you could find yourself seeing a first round upset.

Agreed, playing in a phone booth is uncomfortable for spread teams. I call these offenses RPO too, Run Power Often………….

I respect your opinion but imo Region B is Sussex’s time time to shine and I don’t think it’s close.
I don't care if Appo is 1-8 on the season. If you beat Appo 56-16, then you are probably pretty good. It may be Sussex as the favorite, but yes.....it's close.

That’s the thing, neither of us is right or wrong until they meet and settle it. I can agree to disagree because it’s only an opinion.
No question, we are just giving opinions on it and neither of us is right or wrong. They may end up playing in the playoffs. Right now, Calpreps has it 28-27 in favor of Sussex if the two were to play.

I’m telling you Sussex is scary good, they are peaking , this team is best in all 1A. The Essex lost was a good thing, it will allow them to be taken for granted come playoffs, this team is not the same team that we saw in week 1. Personnel different, mentally different, team chemistry different, confidence on fire. Let’s wait and see ?

This might be an unpopular take, but the Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, and Class 4 titles are totally up for grabs this year. We may very well see some surprises along the way in the playoffs.

This might be an unpopular take, but the Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, and Class 4 titles are totally up for grabs this year. We may very well see some surprises along the way in the playoffs.
Agree, in Class 1, Sussex, Essex, Altavista, Honaker, Grayson all have a very reasonable chance and there may be 1 or 2 better than the other 3, but all 5 of those schools are fairly close. There is no separation so lobsided that it would be just a complete shocker if 1 team didn't win it. If any of the 5 above win it, it's not a surprise to me. The surprise part is that there really is a good 5 or so teams with a chance.

Class 2- Union, Riverheads, Radford, Graham, Central, Clarke. 6 schools of which none would be a surprise to win it. Again, not a ton of separation there.

Agree, in Class 1, Sussex, Essex, Altavista, Honaker, Grayson all have a very reasonable chance and there may be 1 or 2 better than the other 3, but all 5 of those schools are fairly close. There is no separation so lobsided that it would be just a complete shocker if 1 team didn't win it. If any of the 5 above win it, it's not a surprise to me. The surprise part is that there really is a good 5 or so teams with a chance.

Class 2- Union, Riverheads, Radford, Graham, Central, Clarke. 6 schools of which none would be a surprise to win it. Again, not a ton of separation there.

I would throw Grayson off the list. First blow out win against a weak Giles team. The rest of their schedule should have resulted more convincing wins, to be considered a serious contender. Maybe they are starting to find their way and will surprise me.

Agree with all of 2A. Ridgeview has a big game against Union this week. Gretna plays a tough Magna Vista team.
Given the result of these games, you could argue adding either team to the "watch" list.
Should make for great entertainment down the stretch.

I would throw Grayson off the list. First blow out win against a weak Giles team. The rest of their schedule should have resulted more convincing wins, to be considered a serious contender. Maybe they are starting to find their way and will surprise me.

Agree with all of 2A. Ridgeview has a big game against Union this week. Gretna plays a tough Magna Vista team.
Given the result of these games, you could argue adding either team to the "watch" list.
Should make for great entertainment down the stretch.
Good points on Gretna playing MV and RV playing Union. For Grayson, the host Bluefield (West Virginia) in 2 weeks. That will be an interesting game.

In talking with a friend who is well versed on most of 1A. He says 1A is probably down all over the state. He thinks Brunswick is a sleeper. Also says Essex and Sussex are strong. I’ve seen several of Southwest teams. Personally I don’t think as good as eastern teams. I’ve coached in Southwest and from what I’ve seen lately they aren’t no where near as physical as once was. Now in 2A Graham and Union are physical. Saw that game a few weeks ago. Reminded me of old Appalachia and Graham teams. Barring injuries one could easy be the champion. Only seen some of the others on film. Oh by the way East Tennessee not as physical either,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT