ADVERTISEMENT

My Current State Top 10 (October 25th)

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Yes I'll get flack for having Bath Co in my top 10 🤣, but Virginia Preps had them 6th last week in their poll. Plus they're 8-0 and beaten everyone in front of them. That hasn't been the case for them in recent years, so I say let them enjoy it.... Class 1 GOTW in my opinion is 7-1 Sussex vs 7-1 Brunswick. Winner should win the Tri Rivers District Title and also the top seed in Region 1B.

1. Honaker
2. Essex
3. Grayson
4. Sussex
5. Rye Cove
6. Brunswick
7. Altavista
8. Galax
9. Narrows
10. Bath Co

Reactions: offmylawn
G.Wythe could easily beat a couple of those teams. But until it's all played out, you got to give respect for won/loss records at this time. Rural Retreat quietly having a good season out in region D

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Bath's schedule has been very week but they have demolished everyone they play by halftime. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat Narrows and win a couple of games in the regions.

Reactions: TS69 and kwhs95fan
I agree with it yet again. No issue with Bath at 10th. The teams ranked 5th through 10 could all beat each other and put in a couple of teams not in the top 10 and they could beat those 5 through 10 and vice versa. What stands out to me is Essex, Sussex, Grayson, Honaker. I still go with Essex first, but at this point, I think ALL FOUR have a case four number 1 in the state and that includes Sussex and Grayson.

Unless they fall really flat in the playoffs, I have a hard time believing anyone will beat Essex. I know the SWVA guys dont want to hear it but that was the best Class 1 team Riverheads played the last two seasons and they look to have reloaded. I have watched some of Honaker admittedly on film and they do look very good but there is speed then there is Tidewater/Eastern Shore speed. Wont be much longer and we will see who is for real and who isn't.

Unless they fall really flat in the playoffs, I have a hard time believing anyone will beat Essex. I know the SWVA guys dont want to hear it but that was the best Class 1 team Riverheads played the last two seasons and they look to have reloaded. I have watched some of Honaker admittedly on film and they do look very good but there is speed then there is Tidewater/Eastern Shore speed. Wont be much longer and we will see who is for real and who isn't.
I will say this. You would be surprised seeing Grayson County, from the size to the speed. Alarming talent for a Class 1 school. I still think when all is said and done, Grayson will beat Honaker in the semi's. Essex is solid, but I'm telling ya man, Grayson is the real deal. It's not your typical physical on the line, disciplined, hard nosed, less athletic team from SWVA that outschemes or outcoaches people, and nothing wrong with that either. Grayson is athletic, very athletic, and big up front.

I will try to watch a game but I heard the same thing last year about how they had all this talent. GW and Galax and frankly several teams played with them so it could be much different this year but from the little I have read, they play to the level of their competition which generally doesn’t end up being a winning formula once the playoffs hit. There are exceptions but that usually isn’t a light switch that can be turned on at will.

I will try to watch a game but I heard the same thing last year about how they had all this talent. GW and Galax and frankly several teams played with them so it could be much different this year but from the little I have read, they play to the level of their competition which generally doesn’t end up being a winning formula once the playoffs hit. There are exceptions but that usually isn’t a light switch that can be turned on at will.
GW hasn't played Grayson yet. They play tomorrow night. That will tell the tale on region C, IMO. Also Grayson hasn't played Galax either, that is next week.

I will say this. You would be surprised seeing Grayson County, from the size to the speed. Alarming talent for a Class 1 school. I still think when all is said and done, Grayson will beat Honaker in the semi's. Essex is solid, but I'm telling ya man, Grayson is the real deal. It's not your typical physical on the line, disciplined, hard nosed, less athletic team from SWVA that outschemes or outcoaches people, and nothing wrong with that either. Grayson is athletic, very athletic, and big up front.
I hope you are right, I like to see new teams win state titles but George Wythe always seems to have their number. I would still pick Essex if I had to pick somebody right now, but that is why they play the games.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Anyone point me to a game other than the Fort Chiswell game on NFHS? I haven’t found but a couple so tell me which one to watch that showcases what they do best. I see some size and a couple with speed but I didn’t think FC was a world beater so not sure if GC were missing some or what but there isn’t that much separation between them through mid second quarter.

And I will get demonized for this but what’s with every team running that same damn offense now? Galax had some success with it but I am just not a fan for a class 1 school. There aren’t many that will have enough athletes to truly run that shotgun 3wr stuff.

Reactions: Wingo-Dingo
Seems to be common down this way these days. Spreads the defense enough to respect the pass, while opening up some running lanes. Works on teams that don't have enough speed or athletes to cover from sideline to sideline. Which of course is most 1A size schools in SWVA

I hope you are right, I like to see new teams win state titles but George Wythe always seems to have their number. I would still pick Essex if I had to pick somebody right now, but that is why they play the games.
Grayson is too much this year for GW and Galax. Not the same this year as the past. Different team/different level than at any point in recent memory for Grayson this year.

Come again?

Yes I'll get flack for having Bath Co in my top 10 🤣, but Virginia Preps had them 6th last week in their poll. Plus they're 8-0 and beaten everyone in front of them. That hasn't been the case for them in recent years, so I say let them enjoy it.... Class 1 GOTW in my opinion is 7-1 Sussex vs 7-1 Brunswick. Winner should win the Tri Rivers District Title and also the top seed in Region 1B.

1. Honaker
2. Essex
3. Grayson
4. Sussex
5. Rye Cove
6. Brunswick
7. Altavista
8. Galax
9. Narrows
10. Bath Co
Always great job kwhs95fan on your top tens! Thanks for your hard work and thoughts about all the football action.

Just for debate purposes though, again, Essex should be #1. Although they did struggle v a greatly improved Lancaster. Kind of trap type game as well for Essex.

Last edited:

1. Honaker
2. Essex
3. Grayson
4. Sussex
5. Rye Cove
6. Brunswick
7. Altavista
8. Galax
9. Narrows
10. Bath Co
Also, come on man...Northumberland not in the Top 10?

Northumberland is 7-2. The Indians have blown away most of their opponents this season and already played most of the Neck.

Northumberland's only losses were to powerhouse Essex (most likely the best team in 1A) and a close loss to a 2A team at the end of the game. Both losses were away as well.

Northumberland dropped 35 points on Essex recently at EHS' packed homecoming game. That is more than all the points Essex had allowed all season up to that point. Also, Essex was only up 3 points at one point in the second half.

NHS QB Tyreek Lundy is having an insane year!

Not including the 50 points dropped on CB in the game last night -

In the first 8 games this season, Lundy has thrown 21 TDs with only 3 interceptions. He also has several rushing TDs.

Lundy has completed 90 passes out of 117 attempts for 1526 yards (76.9 %).

I think that Lundy is only a sophomore. Dang, the kid could still be on JV....

Reactions: gwb16
Also, come on man...Northumberland not in the Top 10?

Northumberland is 7-2. The Indians have blown away most of their opponents this season and already played most of the Neck.

Northumberland's only losses were to powerhouse Essex (most likely the best team in 1A) and a close loss to a 2A team at the end of the game. Both losses were away as well.

Northumberland dropped 35 points on Essex recently at EHS' packed homecoming game. That is more than all the points Essex had allowed all season up to that point. Also, Essex was only up 3 points at one point in the second half.

NHS QB Tyreek Lundy is having an insane year!

Not including the 50 points dropped on CB in the game last night -

In the first 8 games this season, Lundy has thrown 21 TDs with only 3 interceptions. He also has several rushing TDs.

Lundy has completed 90 passes out of 117 attempts for 1526 yards (76.9 %).

I think that Lundy is only a sophomore. Dang, the kid could still be on JV....
When I did my preseason rankings, I had Honaker #1 and with them being undefeated still, they've done nothing for me to move them out of the top spot.... As for Northumberland, I had them listed earlier in the season and yes, Lundy is a special qb

When I did my preseason rankings, I had Honaker #1 and with them being undefeated still, they've done nothing for me to move them out of the top spot.... As for Northumberland, I had them listed earlier in the season and yes, Lundy is a special qb
Stick to your guns on Honaker. You may be proven correct before it is all said and done.

1) You are way more knowledgeable about the western teams than I am (and most of us in the East).

2) Also, as always, my main concern for Essex (or any team from the East) is how they would fare out in Salem.

The western teams are almost always more disciplined (well done), have way more fans (again, well done), and, depending on where they are from, are often much closer (so they can remain basically in their somewhat normal routines without hotels etc.).

As you definitely know, I can assure folks that those variables can certainly play a huge difference in the outcome of any big game.

Honaker would be the farthest away from Salem a 1A team has traveled in quite a while, as far as I can recall. If they could pull a mild upset, Rye Cove would be a long haul for their squad and followers.

Honaker & Essex in Salem, could be wrong but that's my prediction unless somebody on 1D/1C watches the film on PH & Honaker game and can follow PH's plan and execute it just a tad better. PH had a solid game plan to take on the Tigers just came up a little short.

Last edited:
Great win for GW. I missed this one bigtime. I will still go, even with the big loss, as Grayson winning C.

In regards to Grayson this is first time they had had a solid team in 1A......big difference from 2A.

Grayson technically still has 2A numbers. The superintendent threatened to sue VHSL if they weren't allowed to drop to 1A and VHSL caved. In addition, they reached the 3rd round of the playoffs for the first time in school history last season so, it's not the "first time they had a solid team in 1A."

Reactions: Gridiron1960
@sixcat Galax should compete and possibly win tomorrow night. That is one of the games I will be checking on since JM won’t be traveling to G’ville. Tons of respect for you guys and hope you handle your business. Good luck

@sixcat Galax should compete and possibly win tomorrow night. That is one of the games I will be checking on since JM won’t be traveling to G’ville. Tons of respect for you guys and hope you handle your business. Good luck
Full disclosure, I graduated from Grayson. Left the area immediately after high school and didn't come back for 17 years. Galax is the only school system in this area participating in the Governor's School program so that's where my kids attended.

I hear you having graduated from Stuarts Draft then having kids come through Riverheads. I am not sure why I thought that you were a Galax guy with someone associated with the band maybe?

Reactions: sixcat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT