ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on 4B after 3 weeks.

mbonape1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2015
Here is how I would personally rank them off of my gut... If it was by record it would look different.

1.) Louisa County Lions: 3-0 Impressive wins over Chancellor, Courtland, and Massopanox. Big win against Mass that should help rid the taste with that last second miracle loss to EV last year. Note that IMO their best player Noah Robinson hasn’t played a snap yet. Finding a loss in the regular season on the remaining schedule is doubtful. Very few mistakes and always stays in the positive turnover margin.

2.) Eastern View Cyclones: 3-0 with wins over Culpeper, Albemarle, and Orange. They dominated 3 bad footballs teams. As they should. Will certainly finish regular season undefeated

3.) Huguenot Falcons: Beat Jamestown so bad they didn’t come out in the second half and the game was called and beat LC Bird at Bird last night. This team has athletes and is HUGE. Their line average 305. It is still early but they are off to a great start. Big game with Monacan coming up in 2 weeks.

4.) Dinwiddie Generals – 1-2 Generals played a hard OOD schedule and were in all games. Lost to North Stafford and Massopanox. Beat a solid GW Danville team. Tough Central district schedule coming up. Can they beat TD and Hopewell? We will see soon.

5.) Monacan Chiefs – 1-1 beat Hanover and lost to Manchester 34-12. Monacan is dangerous but undisciplined. Too many self-inflicted wounds. Also need to figure out the quarterback position. Not a fan of the 2 QB system. Best player still has not played a down and defense has looked better. Will this team be 5-5 or can they get to 7-8 wins? Time will tell.

6.) Patrick Henry Ashland – Wins over Osbourn, Caroline, and a surprise victory over Glen Allen. Is this team for real? We find out soon. They are a slightly better than average team in the Richmond area at the very least.

7.) Chancellor Chargers – 1-2, lost to Louisa and Massopanox. Beat Hanover handily. I lean towards this being a decent football team. I think they may finish 7-3 which might put them in the top 4 by seasons end.

8.) Spotsylvania Knights – 3-0 wins Monticello, Fluvanna, Culpeper – Spotsy has looked good. They may be higher but I am not ready to put them above the aforementioned teams just yet.

9.) Powhatan Indians– Lost a nail biter to Motoaca in overtime and beat GW Richmond. I think they finish 5-5 but will be in most games. Have the fastest player in 4b and a new coach that has won at other programs. They will be a better football team by seasons end but I don't know if it will be enough to make any real noise.

10.) King George Foxes – 2-1, Beat Orange and Stafford. Lost to Liberty Bealeton. The loss to Liberty makes me keep them in the back half but LB beat another Battlefield class 4 team already. Ranking them anywhere outside of the top 6 is not outrageous

11.) Courtland Cougars– 0-3 Losses to Louisa, Liberty and Stafford. This is the biggest surprise to me. New stadium, 300 new students. I think this team is better than their record shows but at some point you have to actually win em. Can this team be 5-5. IDK?

12.) Hanover Hawks – 0-2, losses to Monacan and Chancellor. Team has heart but doesn’t have the horses to play 48 minutes with the elite.

13.) Orange County Fighting Hornet, 0-3 losses to King George, North Stafford and Eastern View. Played tough schedule and the second half should be more forgiving but a winning season is doubtful

14.) Lee Davis Confederates: 0-3 Lost to Tucker, Deep Run and Godwin. Anything over 1 win is doubtful. I think they may go 0-10.

15.) Caroline Cavaliers, 0-2, lost to JR Tucker and Patrick Henry Ashland.. Might find 1 or 2 wins but I doubt it. I also think they will go 0-10.

16.) George Wythe Bull Dogs: 0-2. Lost to Hampton and Powhatan. Will probably go 0-10 again unfortunately.

Here is how I would personally rank them off of my gut... If it was by record it would look different.

1.) Louisa County Lions: 3-0 Impressive wins over Chancellor, Courtland, and Massopanox. Big win against Mass that should help rid the taste with that last second miracle loss to EV last year. Note that IMO their best player Noah Robinson hasn’t played a snap yet. Finding a loss in the regular season on the remaining schedule is doubtful. Very few mistakes and always stays in the positive turnover margin.

2.) Eastern View Cyclones: 3-0 with wins over Culpeper, Albemarle, and Orange. They dominated 3 bad footballs teams. As they should. Will certainly finish regular season undefeated

3.) Huguenot Falcons: Beat Jamestown so bad they didn’t come out in the second half and the game was called and beat LC Bird at Bird last night. This team has athletes and is HUGE. Their line average 305. It is still early but they are off to a great start. Big game with Monacan coming up in 2 weeks.

4.) Dinwiddie Generals – 1-2 Generals played a hard OOD schedule and were in all games. Lost to North Stafford and Massopanox. Beat a solid GW Danville team. Tough Central district schedule coming up. Can they beat TD and Hopewell? We will see soon.

5.) Monacan Chiefs – 1-1 beat Hanover and lost to Manchester 34-12. Monacan is dangerous but undisciplined. Too many self-inflicted wounds. Also need to figure out the quarterback position. Not a fan of the 2 QB system. Best player still has not played a down and defense has looked better. Will this team be 5-5 or can they get to 7-8 wins? Time will tell.

6.) Patrick Henry Ashland – Wins over Osbourn, Caroline, and a surprise victory over Glen Allen. Is this team for real? We find out soon. They are a slightly better than average team in the Richmond area at the very least.

7.) Chancellor Chargers – 1-2, lost to Louisa and Massopanox. Beat Hanover handily. I lean towards this being a decent football team. I think they may finish 7-3 which might put them in the top 4 by seasons end.

8.) Spotsylvania Knights – 3-0 wins Monticello, Fluvanna, Culpeper – Spotsy has looked good. They may be higher but I am not ready to put them above the aforementioned teams just yet.

9.) Powhatan Indians– Lost a nail biter to Motoaca in overtime and beat GW Richmond. I think they finish 5-5 but will be in most games. Have the fastest player in 4b and a new coach that has won at other programs. They will be a better football team by seasons end but I don't know if it will be enough to make any real noise.

10.) King George Foxes – 2-1, Beat Orange and Stafford. Lost to Liberty Bealeton. The loss to Liberty makes me keep them in the back half but LB beat another Battlefield class 4 team already. Ranking them anywhere outside of the top 6 is not outrageous

11.) Courtland Cougars– 0-3 Losses to Louisa, Liberty and Stafford. This is the biggest surprise to me. New stadium, 300 new students. I think this team is better than their record shows but at some point you have to actually win em. Can this team be 5-5. IDK?

12.) Hanover Hawks – 0-2, losses to Monacan and Chancellor. Team has heart but doesn’t have the horses to play 48 minutes with the elite.

13.) Orange County Fighting Hornet, 0-3 losses to King George, North Stafford and Eastern View. Played tough schedule and the second half should be more forgiving but a winning season is doubtful

14.) Lee Davis Confederates: 0-3 Lost to Tucker, Deep Run and Godwin. Anything over 1 win is doubtful. I think they may go 0-10.

15.) Caroline Cavaliers, 0-2, lost to JR Tucker and Patrick Henry Ashland.. Might find 1 or 2 wins but I doubt it. I also think they will go 0-10.

16.) George Wythe Bull Dogs: 0-2. Lost to Hampton and Powhatan. Will probably go 0-10 again unfortunately.

Nice job; very informative. Posts like this one help those of us in other areas of the state easily see the bigger picture.

As of today, how many teams do you see having a legitimate shot at winning Region B? Are Louisa Co. and Eastern View substantially ahead of the rest, or would Dinwiddie, Monacan, and possibly others be able to go toe-to-toe with those two?

Also - why is George Wythe always so relentlessly bad? Is it due to the typical problems faced by inner-city schools, or is something else going on? Or a combination thereof? I would think coaching plays a significant role. It’s probably pretty difficult to get a good coach to stay there for long. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
t
Nice job; very informative. Posts like this one help those of us in other areas of the state easily see the bigger picture.

As of today, how many teams do you see having a legitimate shot at winning Region B? Are Louisa Co. and Eastern View substantially ahead of the rest, or would Dinwiddie, Monacan, and possibly others be able to go toe-to-toe with those two?

Also - why is George Wythe always so relentlessly bad? Is it due to the typical problems faced by inner-city schools, or is something else going on? Or a combination thereof? I would think coaching plays a significant role. It’s probably pretty difficult to get a good coach to stay there for long. Thoughts?

I'll start off with your question about George Wythe. GW has a higher than normal drop out rate so their pool of upper class-men to choose from is drastically limited. They definitely have less resources and don't play any true home football games. I think the losing culture doesn't help and discourages kids from coming out. GW fields an excellent basketball team year in and year out which leads me to believe they have athletes and under different circumstances things might be different. When I played ball many moons ago beating GW was not so automatic and they fielded decent teams. Huguenot actually was a perennial power in the Richmond area in the 90's.

Realistically win 4B: I think there are 5 teams that have enough fire power. Not that they are necessarily the best teams, but have the ability to do it. I would say the top 5 I mentioned can do it. While I do believe EV and Louisa are a cut above I don't think either are a super team. To me... it is more about can Huguenot, Dinwiddie & Monacan (who all run spread) line up and not get a ton of penalties and turnovers. That is must to beat the likes of Louisa and EV. If they can do that, they have enough weapons to make it interesting.

Reactions: SpartanOfYore

What is it that makes you rank Chancellor over Spotsylvania?

Reactions: 7time
What is it that makes you rank Chancellor over Spotsylvania?

Well, It is certainly not an exact science but Chancellor hung around with Massopanox, played Louisa already, and annihilated Hanover. I think they have seen 2 good teams. I know Spotsy is undefeated but I don’t think they have seen the same level of opponents so you may have a point there. They may be better IDK

Nice stuff @mbonape1. I will take a stab at this, but cant improve on your synopsis.

Louisa is obviously a good team and the will surely go unbeaten and get the #1 seed. Just a very physical team, with sound talent and depth. Skies the limit.

Who knows about EV. They are rarely tested in the regular season and are always tough to read. Dinwiddie has played the Cyclones two years in a row and they have the returning talent to be in the regional finals. I don't see how pounding weak teams helps, but it seems to work for EV. Can't fault their schedule which leads to playoff success. Props to the Cyclones they are just good.

I know very little about Spotsylvania, but Chancellor seems to be capable of making the playoffs. King George appears to be headed in the right direction, but may still be a year away. They have some weapons, so the Fox fans have reason to believe. Courtland? Wow, once again we wonder if the preseason hype is real and boom 3 OOD losses. Is Coach Hall's system and leadership faltering?

That was a good win for Huguenot, but I am not as high on them as you. LC Bird has a sound defense, but virtually no offense (7 points in 2 games) If they continue to roll I may change my tune. Cosby will offer no resistance next week. Monacan is still a threat, but the parity in the Dominion makes things tougher. Coach Henderson has tons of talent he just needs to let the Chiefs soar. Not sure what their identity is. Are they power or a spread team. Overthinking and poor fundamentals continue to cause problems in Smoketree. Powhatan, is not a bad football team, but I just don't know how they will fare against a much tougher district schedule. They need a win this coming week against Midlothian and a few unexpected victories to make the playoffs.

PH-Ashland has 3 wins, but they have some tough games ahead (Varina, Henrico and Deep Run). Their qb Sikar is tough to defend and the Patriots have some athletes. They should make the playoffs. Hanover and Lee Davis are on the outside looking in.

Now for the tough one. Dinwiddie's very young team is a little helter skelter. The offense is not a major concern as they have moved the ball against everyone and that's been without two starting o lineman. Brenton Hilton the sophmore qb has played well and is averaging 173 yards a game passing. He has made a few bad decisions, but will only get better with experience. Early season POY candidate Robert Barlow is averaging 147 yards a game rushing and has 1,040 all purpose yards in 3 games against good teams. The defense is another story. Yes, the Generals have played against three top offenses and faced D1 backs in each game, but they have struggled with technique and tackling. Injuries have haunted us (3 out), but the linebackers just don't have the experience to get big stops when we need it. This team will continue to get better with each game and if the Generals can get in the playoffs they have a chance to challenge the top tier in Region B. Better get Mills now, because this team of talented sophmore starters is going to be nasty the next two years.

My early playoff seeds based on OOD wins/losses and district strength.

1 Louisa 10-0
2 Monacan 9-1
3 EV 10-0
4 PH-Ashland 7-3
5 Spotsylvania 7-3
6 Dinwiddie 7-3 or 6-4
7 Huguenot 6-4
8 Chancellor 6-4

Last edited:
Nice stuff @mbonape1. I will take a stab at this, but cant improve on your synopsis.

Louisa is obviously a good team and the will surely go unbeaten and get the #1 seed. Just a very physical team, with sound talent and depth. Skies the limit.

Who knows about EV. They are rarely tested in the regular season and are always tough to read. Dinwiddie has played the Cyclones two years in a row and they have the returning talent to be in the regional finals. I don't see how pounding weak teams helps, but it seems to work for EV. Can't fault their schedule which leads to playoff success. Props to the Cyclones they are just good.

I know very little about Spotsylvania, but Chancellor seems to be capable of making the playoffs. King George appears to be headed in the right direction, but may still be a year away. They have some weapons, so the Fox fans have reason to believe. Courtland? Wow, once again we wonder if the preseason hype is real and boom 3 OOD losses. Is Coach Hall's system and leadership faltering?

That was a good win for Huguenot, but I am not as high on them as you. LC Bird has a sound defense, but virtually no offense (7 points in 2 games) If they continue to roll I may change my tune. Cosby will offer no resistance next week. Monacan is still a threat, but the parity in the Dominion makes things tougher. Coach Henderson has tons of talent he just needs to let the Chiefs soar. Not sure what their identity is. Are they power or a spread team. Overthinking and poor fundamentals continue to cause problems in Smoketree. Powhatan, is not a bad football team, but I just don't know how they will fare against a much tougher district schedule. They need a win this coming week against Midlothian and a few unexpected victories to make the playoffs.

PH-Ashland has 3 wins, but they have some tough games ahead (Varina, Henrico and Deep Run). Their qb Sikar is tough to defend and the Patriots have some athletes. They should make the playoffs. Hanover and Lee Davis are on the outside looking in.

Now for the tough one. Dinwiddie's very young team is a little helter skelter. The offense is not a major concern as they have moved the ball against everyone and that's been without two starting o lineman. Brenton Hilton the sophmore qb has played well and is averaging 173 yards a game passing. He has made a few bad decisions, but will only get better with experience. Early season POY candidate Robert Barlow is averaging 147 yards a game rushing and has 1,040 all purpose yards in 3 games against good teams. The defense is another story. Yes, the Generals have played against three top offenses and faced D1 backs in each game, but they have struggled with technique and tackling. Injuries have haunted us (3 out), but the linebackers just don't have the experience to get big stops when we need it. This team will continue to get better with each game and if the Generals can get in the playoffs they have a chance to challenge the top tier in Region B. Better get Mills now, because this team of talented sophmore starters is going to be nasty the next two years.

1 Louisa 10-0
2 Monacan 9-1
3 EV 10-0
4 PH-Ashland 7-3
5 Spotsylvania 7-3
6 Dinwiddie 7-3 or 6-4
7 Huguenot 6-4
8 Chancellor 6-4

That is your gut instincts on who are the best teams or just your projected order of finish? Two separate conversations

With respect to Wythe. Like so many inner city schools, they face a myriad of challenges with respect to fielding a football program. You really can't hang it on coaching. That would be unfair. You have a lot of kids without solid family support and guidance. Just getting transportation to and from practice can be a challenge. For the kids that want to particpate, they have to run a gauntlet from the bad kids, in and out of school.

There are no easy answers to these, and other factors. That is why, when you see schools that have to deal with situations like I'm trying to describe here, be successful, you have to be happy for them.

I think that Louisa is out ahead of the pack all by themselves at this point. No one else has a marquee victory like Louisa does. EV needs to continue to dominate any and all of the opponents on their schedule to convince me that they are at the level of Louisa. PH might be the biggest surprise by the end of the regular season.

Gut
That is your gut instincts on who are the best teams or just your projected order of finish? Two separate conversations
Prediction I guess. I have a formula I use to assess things. Heck their are some decent teams from 4 to 12 that will make it fun. Top 3 are likely set. Monacan would obviously drop if they lose a couple more. Who knows how this will play out.

Reactions: mbonape1

1 Louisa 10-0
2 Monacan 9-1
3 EV 10-0
4 PH-Ashland 7-3
5 Spotsylvania 7-3
6 Dinwiddie 7-3 or 6-4
7 Huguenot 6-4
8 Chancellor 6-4
KG was without 2 of their best offensive players last night. I have no doubt they were the better team last night. They were more physical up front on both sides of the ball. Our depleted skill players just couldn't make enough plays. In hindsight, probably could have run right at them all night and pulled out the win. I think it will come down to KG or Spotsy for 2nd place in the Battlefield.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Well, It is certainly not an exact science but Chancellor hung around with Massopanox, played Louisa already, and annihilated Hanover. I think they have seen 2 good teams. I know Spotsy is undefeated but I don’t think they have seen the same level of opponents so you may have a point there. They may be better IDK
I’d have them higher than Chancellor right now. Spotsy has high end talent with Colbert who’s one of the best RB’s in the state and a big OL. Not sure how deep they are though. They have been solid through the first 3 weeks and beat Culpeper in the same way EV did maybe even a little more dominant. I don’t know about the others but these two played last year with a convincing win by Spotsy and they graduated about the same with Spotsy returning more up front.

KG was without 2 of their best offensive players last night. I have no doubt they were the better team last night. They were more physical up front on both sides of the ball. Our depleted skill players just couldn't make enough plays. In hindsight, probably could have run right at them all night and pulled out the win. I think it will come down to KG or Spotsy for 2nd place in the Battlefield.
I think they are much improved and better than last year but not quite what you’re saying here. A bad Orange team had them beat if not for the spike mistake or the trip at the end by OC QB. Definitely headed in the right direction

Yeah, they didn't play well on D in the second half of that game...looked tired. They've cleaned some of that up. Same thing happened at Stafford. They beat them by 13, but it should have been more. Bye week coming up and then on to Chancellor. If they get healthy they should beat Chancellor by a couple of scores. Both teams are pretty good offensively, but I would give KG the edge on D. We'll see...The Liberty game was frustrating to watch, KG was much more physical. It was like losing to a basketball team.

The Battlefield will definitely have a higher win percentage this year giving more teams more power points

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Fantastic point @OCBoy. I know it seems odd, but that's exactly what one needs to considered about playoff contention after the ood games. The teams in the Dominion have it rough. With exception of Manchester (2 ood games) the teams can only rely on points from one game. If the ood team they scheduled doesn't produce points (Hanover for Monacan) then they will suffer come seeding time.

Fantastic point @OCBoy. I know it seems odd, but that's exactly what one needs to considered about playoff contention after the ood games. The teams in the Dominion have it rough. With exception of Manchester (2 ood games) the teams can only rely on points from one game. If the ood team they scheduled doesn't produce points (Hanover for Monacan) then they will suffer come seeding time.
You could have EV, Spotsy, Chancellor, JM, and KG all with a winning record compared to last year’s teams were .500 at the most. It definitely will be a different Battlefield this year. There could be some upsets brewing.

To me... it is more about can Huguenot, Dinwiddie & Monacan (who all run spread) line up and not get a ton of penalties and turnovers. That is must to beat the likes of Louisa and EV. If they can do that, they have enough weapons to make it interesting.
This can't be stressed enough. Louisa had 2 penalties against Massaponax. It'll take a very disciplined team to beat them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT