ADVERTISEMENT

My Top Ten 1A East Region - we have a new #1 in the East...

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
feel free to debate...

#1 Sussex 6-0 (just whipped another one, the undefeated 3A #6 team Park View 32-14)
#2 Riverheads 6-0
#3 Altavista 5-1
#4 Essex 2-4
#5 Franklin 5-1
#6 Central Lunenburg 5-1
#7 Northumberland 5-1
#8 William Campbell 3-3
#9 Colonial Beach 4-2
#10 Surry 4-2

Interesting note -Sussex Central defeated 2 time defending private school champs Trinity Episcopal by 6 points, so did the Northumberland Indians.

Based on opinion and the fact it's a poll, you could be correct. I don't think the points will reflect that but it will certainly be closer. Northumberland falling to Essex does drop them significantly and puts everyone on notice that their early losses aside, they will be heard from this year. Altavista is another team that I am leery of based on the potential speed they have. Last years playoff game at RHS had them behind so fast they never got un-tracked but it's there. Looks like the post season will be interesting to say the least and the top teams are separating themselves from the pack. Not downplaying what the Gladiators have done but we are not where we want to be so your poll is probably spot on.

Yes, this is just my opinion poll as you said not a prediction or reflection of power ratings. However, I would certainly think that all of these programs will be in the 12 East playoff teams. Who will be the other two teams that earn a spot?

Of course, seeding will be vital but I would think they are even more important this year than the past several years. The last few years it was basically a given that the final two East state teams would be Altavista and Essex, last season it was Riverheads and Essex from the start.

This season we have the possibility of much more balanced competition. Any number of those top ten teams could make a run and find themselves in the final four. With turnovers, penalties, momentum swings, etc., the East playoffs should be way more exciting this year! Home field advantages will be huge in this environment. Should be a great, exciting seedings race as well...

Luray could possibly be in this top 10. I don't know much about them this year other than their only loss is to Riverheads. They've also played Essex tough in the past. Could see them falling somewhere in the 7-10 range which is probably where they'll be seeded in the postseason.

Reactions: uvacavs1
I think Franklin vs Sussex this Friday will tell a lot about both teams Sussex is hitting on all cylinders but Franklin has yet to play four quarters of football there still getting it together defensively they play a good game on Friday held Brunswick to 6 points but if they can put together and play four quarters of mistake free football they can beat Sussex at the armory. Don't forget people two out of the last three presidential elections Franklin has won the state championship and it is election year my boy has the talent to go all the way if they play to there potential but as we all know anybody can win on any given Friday night. Just ask galax

Here is mine from 1-21
1. Riverheads
2. Sussex
3. Altavista
4. Essex
5. Franklin
6. Luray
7. Lunenburg
8. Colonial Beach
9. Charles City
10. William Campbell
11. Lancaster
12. Northumberland
13. Surry
14. Northampton
15. Mathews
16. Middlesex
17. West Point
18. Rappahannock
19. Stonewall Jackson
20. Windsor
21. King & Queen

Last edited:
Northampton has beaten both Mathews and Middlesex in high scoring games. I'd say Northumberland is way low but like you said it's just your opinion and nothing wrong with that. We all have our own

Really I believe from 12-18, Northumberland to Northampton any of them could beat or lose to any of them. Even Lancaster. I dont believe any of them can compete with the top 8.
I saw Northampton lose to WP. Saw WP lose to Middlesex even though they controlled the game and probably out gained them by at least twice as much, they still lost on the scoreboard. Saw a one man show beat Rappahannock after Rappahannock pitched a shutout against W&L.
We have a whole bunch of mediocre football teams. I haven't bought into Northumberland yet. Kudos to them though for starting strong. Need to finish it though.

Last edited:
Essex may be a little high, I get that they beat Northumberland, but they are still 2-4.
Northumberland at 5-1 should be higher, IMO.
Interesting to have Charles City (1-5) at #9. Their one win against cumberland, should win this week.
Northampton (4-2) at 18. beat Mathews and Middlesex. Lost to WP but that was in week 0 when everyone else was still scrimmaging.
Mathews at 3-3 below WP (2-4), Middlesex (2-4) (who they've beat)

Those are my questions, everyone else is in the ballpark of what their record/points/who they've played says. Thanks for posting.

Hey, Essex trojan1, you got the kinks worked out on Offense I see. Good win,
My Friend. You guys really have a lot of injuries in each game, but you get some
Support from your bench evidently. One goes down, and another one steps up.

Man, that is something special when kids step in and play hard for their brother.
Keep up the good work, and hopefully this win against Northumberland will give
you guys some momentum for a good run.

How is my "Big Nasty " doing???? I see were you guys are in the top 5 in the East.
Now don't you guys get the big head just yet......just kidding!!!

Last edited:
Valid points HighestPoint. I've adjusted the bottom half because I agree with you. On Charles City and Essex, I will leave those alone for now because I believe Essex and Charles City will win out. I am not a Northumberland believer but they can change that with a win this week.

For my viewing pleasure only, I will list my top 5 east and west. If someone is not on the list, I have serious doubts they will be in Salem. In order how I think they finish.
East: Sussex, Essex, Riverheads, Franklin, AltaVista
West: Hurley, Galax, Wythe, PM, Fort

Hey, Essex trojan1, you got the kinks worked out on Offense I see. Good win,
My Friend. You guys really have a lot of injuries in each game, but you get some
Support from your bench evidently. One goes down, and another one steps up.

Man, that is something special when kids step in and play hard for their brother.
Keep up the good work, and hopefully this win against Northumberland will give
you guys some momentum for a good run.

How is my "Big Nasty " doing???? I see were you guys are in the top 5 in the East.
Now don't you guys get the big head just yet......just kidding!!!
They are showing signs of improving. Still need to clean up some things. Still a work in progress but I'm glad things are turning around for this group. Big Nasty is Big Nasty lol. I'm pretty sure the big head wont happen with this group of young men. They've been through some serious growing pains in the non district portion of the schedule. Still have more growing to do, but getting on the right track.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT