ADVERTISEMENT

My visit to Staunton this weekend.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
We came with friends to take a ride on the Virginia Scenic Railway out of Staunton. I highly recommend it. But you will have to watch their website closely. Every single seat is booked for this season, which runs into July. At some point in the near future, they will open booking for the fall season. I highly suggest you take a trip.

The Serendipity Coffee Shop across from the train station has some of the best cinnamon buns that I’ve ever eaten.

The folks that I was with are not football people like all of us, so I didnt bother them to drive over to the various high school football fields, but I was close to Staunton, Buffalo Gap, Stuart’s Draft, and Riverheads. And Gunz, I know that I didn’t get prior approval to be in your neck of the woods, so I appreciate that you didn’t have me arrested.

We are headed to Verona to some mega antique place now. Not my cup of team, but I’m just along for the ride. And hey, it ain’t football, but it beats working.

If you are in Verona, and don’t get a meal at Armstrong’s, did you really visit Verona?
I guess not. Oh well, only thing to do is plan a return trip.🥳

We had the pleasure of the company of Rev. Linwood Wilkes, the long term Minister of Lebanon Presbyterian Church out past Craigsville, for some of our trip. He was our tour guide. He started his adult life out in Hopewell, and actually married the couple we were there with. Linwood has been the Pastor at Lebanon for something like 47 years. I just thought some of you might know him? Linwood knows everyone and everything about that area. He sure brought a lot of the area’s history to life for us.

Last night, my friends wanted to go to supper at Edelweiss, out near I81. Terrific food and great service. BTW, we stayed at The Frederick House B&B in Staunton. I have nothing but good things to say about the place.

If any of you are looking for a getaway without having to deal with big city stuff, by all means, try Staunton.

You are in "my neck of the woods", so to speak DW!

That's my home stomping grounds.....miss it dearly!
Pizzzza, I’m sure it’s changed a lot since you lived there, but I can say unequivocally that I have never been anywhere that the people were friendlier.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Pizzzza, I’m sure it’s changed a lot since you lived there, but I can say unequivocally that I have never been anywhere that the people were friendlier.
Fortunately I'm able to get back "home" every so often - I'm hoping this upcoming fall I'm able to do so!

I always try to get back during football season...love that time of the year!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Glad you enjoyed your time in this area. If I had known, I would have suggested while in Staunton going to Wright's Dairy Rite. Old school with outdoor speakers to order, etc. Used to bring food on roller skates etc.

But if you went to Edelweiss, you were about a mile from Riverheads.

@DinwiddieProud if you ever find yourself in Staunton again I have a good restaurant recommendation. Try Mrs Rowe's Family Restaurant, it's very good. My buddy, my daughter, and I, went to JMU this past Sat to watch my nephew compete in the C1/C2 T&F events. We were looking for a place to get some breakfast before the event, and we found a winner. Highly recommended if you're in the area. My nephew finished 4th in the 1600m and was part of the 4×400 that finished 3rd.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thanks guys. And congrats to your nephew Mike.
it’s our intentions to ride the train again this fall so that will definitely be where we eat.
Thanks again.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT