ADVERTISEMENT

Never seen this called unsportsmanlike, but guess it is in NOVA

I didn’t like these calls either. Damn refs always injecting themselves into the outcome. This was a fantastic game and match up. BR had a ton of penalties called on them throughout the game as well.
No surprise about BR. If you remember I commented on the 4A board that I wouldn't expect to get any 50/50 calls playing at Salem. BR had 10 penalties called against them and Salem only had 2.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
No surprise about BR. If you remember I commented on the 4A board that I wouldn't expect to get any 50/50 calls playing at Salem. BR had 10 penalties called against them and Salem only had 2.
Sorry got crossed up in posts. I meant Stone Bridge had a lot of penalties as well. Looked like a helmet to helmet hit that caused the fumble recovered for a TD by Highland Springs. I was right there but it happened fast, so not a 100% sure. The SB guy with the film was screaming he had it on tape.

Salem is generally one of the least penalized teams. That is not a Salem Stadium phenomenon, that is a Salem Football phenomenon. They are disciplined, well coached, and they don't beat themselves.

Salem is generally one of the least penalized teams. That is not a Salem Stadium phenomenon, that is a Salem Football phenomenon. They are disciplined, well coached, and they don't beat themselves.
I didn’t like these calls either. Damn refs always injecting themselves into the outcome. This was a fantastic game and match up. Stone Bridge had a ton of penalties called on them throughout the game as well.
From this clip doesn’t look like a taunt. But I would like to know if somethings was said which could certainly draw a penalty. Several years ago I saw an unsportsmanlike called on a two point conversion negating the successful conversion. Team lost state championship on the call. Receiver flipped or toss the ball to Mr. Official standing in the end zone.

Stone Bridge had 11 penalties for 120 yards against them (10 for 110 accepted). Highland Springs had 8 for 75. Lots of flags throughout the game.

We should have a Congressional hearing to while we are at it. I am thinking 10-15 years without parole for that ref. If we find any video of another call he missed in any other games, maybe 20 years is more like it. Look, Loren Johnson admitted the 2nd call was fair, so we are talking about 1 call (15 yards). Granted, it was a big situation, but to call for an investigation taints the great fans of Highland Springs, and I don’t believe that should be how the fan base and program should be viewed. You have one of the best programs in VHSL history and a lot to hang your hat on. That program will come out hungrier than ever next fall.

From this clip doesn’t look like a taunt. But I would like to know if somethings was said which could certainly draw a penalty. Several years ago I saw an unsportsmanlike called on a two point conversion negating the successful conversion. Team lost state championship on the call. Receiver flipped or toss the ball to Mr. Official standing in the end zone.
We are missing the other side of the story.. It would be interesting to interview the refs for that game. Something was said or the refs layed down the law in the pre-game briefings and the kids chose to ignore the authority of the refs..

Reactions: mbonape1 and OCBoy
So I've heard. I'm not disputing that. But one has to wonder why the away team seems to be penalized far more than Salem when at Salem Stadium. 10 penalties for BR compared to only 2 for Salem is a big disparity. BR won so it obviously didn't change the outcome of the game but it's still worth noting.

Last edited:
So I've heard. I'm not disputing that. But one has to wonder why the away team seems to be penalized far more than Salem when at Salem Stadium. 10 penalties for BR compared to only 2 for Salem is a big disparity. BR won so it obviously didn't change the outcome of the game but it's still worth noting.
Half of Broad Run's penalties were on 2 plays. Holding/block in the back on 1 play, 3 unsportsmanlike penalties when BR stopped Salem. On to next year. Can't win em all.

Things being said on here are making Highland Springs and Salem sore losers. Both need to get over the losses and move forward.

Things being said on here are making Highland Springs and Salem sore losers. Both need to get over the losses and move forward.

They aren’t accustomed to losing so when it happens they start clamoring for anything to ease the pain . If … they… nah just a game decided after 48 minutes that team a was better than team b

Reactions: OCBoy
Because BR kept holding. That's not a 50/50 call. Do you realize that Salem's last 4 loses have been at home? Yeah Salem gets all the 50/50 calls SMH

Half of Broad Run's penalties were on 2 plays. Holding/block in the back on 1 play, 3 unsportsmanlike penalties when BR stopped Salem. On to next year. Can't win em all.
Someone trying to make something out of nothing Mike 😂. 💯 On to next yr

Last edited:
They aren’t accustomed to losing so when it happens they start clamoring for anything to ease the pain . If … they… nah just a game decided after 48 minutes that team a was better than team b
Let's not forget about the Salem fans that predicted Broad Run to win a close game. Go look at my preseason picks for C4. Salem took a step back this yr after losing several key plays from title team to graduation and finished right where I thought they would.

Reactions: gwb16 and OCBoy
Doesn't look like much to me. Did the kid say anything? Had the ref already talked to the kid prior to this play? So basically what lead up to this? From a distance we don't notice the refs talking to players or coaches during the game and definitely don't know what was said.

Reactions: gwb16
Because BR kept holding. That's not a 50/50 call. Do you realize that Salem's last 4 loses have been at home? Yeah Salem gets all the 50/50 calls SMH
LOL yes, I do realize that their last 4 loses have been at home. I am very familiar with Salem's program. That's why I said I have the highest respect for their players and coaches. But that has zero to do with my point. I'm not claiming that Salem being less penalized is why they are successful. What I am claiming is that is tends to be a large disparity in the number of penalties that the visiting teams has versus what Salem has at Salem Stadium.

And holding is absolutely a 50/50 call. Ask any official and they will tell you they could call holding every play in high school football but they don't.

Would love to know the lawyer who takes this.

Guarantee you could find one. Lawyers love stuff like this. Flat fee for writing (read, pawning off on a junior associate) a threatening letter. Maybe one face-to-face, no court appearance, hour to draft, follow-up phone call...Easy $$$.

Guarantee you could find one. Lawyers love stuff like this. Flat fee for writing (read, pawning off on a junior associate) a threatening letter. Maybe one face-to-face, no court appearance, hour to draft, follow-up phone call...Easy $$$.
Not all lawyers...some of us have intake standards. I'm guessing the claim here must be illegal use of the flag.

No lawyers were called and at the end of the day Congrats to SB on winning their second state championship in the calendar year. The HSHS/SB game was an amazing game and a few questionable calls happened, but at the end of the day, that's sports. Human error is a part of the make up of the game. It will be interesting to see where everybody goes next year. HSHS is returning quite a bit and they will most certainly continue to play a tough schedule.

No lawyers were called and at the end of the day Congrats to SB on winning their second state championship in the calendar year. The HSHS/SB game was an amazing game and a few questionable calls happened, but at the end of the day, that's sports. Human error is a part of the make up of the game. It will be interesting to see where everybody goes next year. HSHS is returning quite a bit and they will most certainly continue to play a tough schedule.
Thanks for clearing up that lawyer debacle, HL!!

On the 1A board he claimed there were over 400 calls to VHSL and that 2 of the officials have been suspended for next year. And there was an investigation about racism and bribery.

Dude is crazy. Believe he was also the one touting his biblical values at one point, while simultaneously calling another poster f*ggot. A real cool dude.

Dude is crazy. Believe he was also the one touting his biblical values at one point, while simultaneously calling another poster f*ggot. A real cool dude.
Yea he really went off the deep end. I wasn't expecting that. His silly personal insults didn't bother me considering I've been giving him hell, but blasting all of 1A by basically calling kids "trash" didn't sit right with me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT