ADVERTISEMENT

New High School to relieve overcrowding at Cosby...

EPJr

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 27, 2002
This project would provide a new high school in the western Rte 360 area, likely in the recently rezoned Upper Magnolia Green (West). This would be Chesterfield’s 11th comprehensive high school, the first new one since Cosby High opened in 2006. The new high school is needed to meet rapid population growth, as evidenced by the installation of mega trailers with 24 classrooms at Cosby High for the 2022-23 school year. The new school will also provide capacity to relieve overcrowding in adjoining attendance zones

https://www.chesterfield.gov/DocumentCenter/View/30003/Community-Facilities-Bond-Plan_Bond-Information-OverviewPDF?bidId=

Last edited:
Reactions: OCBoy
FUNDING ALLOCATION $375 MILLION, 7 PROJECTS Projects include replacement schools for A.M. Davis, Bensley and Grange Hall elementary schools, replacement of Midlothian Middle School, expansion for Thomas Dale High School, a new western 360 area elementary school, and a new western Rte 360 high school.
images

NEW WESTERN 360 AREA HIGH SCHOOL, $135 MILLION This project would provide a new high school in the western 360 area, likely in the recently rezoned Upper Magnolia Green (West). This would be Chesterfield’s 11th comprehensive high school, the first new one since Cosby High opened in 2006. The new high school is needed to meet rapid population growth, as evidenced by the installation of mega trailers with 24 classrooms at Cosby High for the 2022-23 school year. The new school will also provide capacity to relieve overcrowding in adjoining attendance zones.

Last edited:
Chesterfield decides on location for new high school
by: Will Gonzalez
axis-map-5.png

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Chesterfield County Public Schools has announced that it has decided on a location for it’s first new high school since 2006.

According to a Chesterfield County’s website, the 2,400-student school will be located on county-owned land on Duval Road, about 1,600 feet west of the intersection of Duval Road and Otterdale Road.

Approved by voters in a 2022 referendum, the new school would alleviate capacity-related issues at Chesterfield’s current newest high school, Cosby, which opened in 2006 and is currently over 100% capacity.

The county plans to construct several new roads around the school in anticipation of increased car traffic through the area.

The county says it plans to open the school to students by the fall of 2027.

Chesterfield decides on location for new high school
by: Will Gonzalez
axis-map-5.png

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Chesterfield County Public Schools has announced that it has decided on a location for it’s first new high school since 2006.

According to a Chesterfield County’s website, the 2,400-student school will be located on county-owned land on Duval Road, about 1,600 feet west of the intersection of Duval Road and Otterdale Road.

Approved by voters in a 2022 referendum, the new school would alleviate capacity-related issues at Chesterfield’s current newest high school, Cosby, which opened in 2006 and is currently over 100% capacity.

The county plans to construct several new roads around the school in anticipation of increased car traffic through the area.

The county says it plans to open the school to students by the fall of 2027.

I am always intrigued when it comes to new schools and choices of mascots. I hope they do something original. Across the state we have so many Wildcats, Devils, Raiders, Warriors, Patriots, Eagles and Bulldogs.

Also intrigued by how this shapes district games when it opens. A Dominion District slate with 11 teams would mean a 10-game district schedule meaning no Thomas Dale-Bird... I don't see anyone letting the Battle of Chester go by the wayside so I got to believe someone like a Huguenot or Richmond City would be moved to maybe the Colonial District or maybe a prerequisite that you only have to play 9 district games... just something to think about.

I am always intrigued when it comes to new schools and choices of mascots. I hope they do something original. Across the state we have so many Wildcats, Devils, Raiders, Warriors, Patriots, Eagles and Bulldogs.

Also intrigued by how this shapes district games when it opens. A Dominion District slate with 11 teams would mean a 10-game district schedule meaning no Thomas Dale-Bird... I don't see anyone letting the Battle of Chester go by the wayside so I got to believe someone like a Huguenot or Richmond City would be moved to maybe the Colonial District or maybe a prerequisite that you only have to play 9 district games... just something to think about.
In 2003 Cave Spring was split creating Hidden Valley. They were in the Blue Ridge district at the time. Creating an 11 school district. The River Ridge district was then created having teams from C3-C6. It was made up of mostly Roanoke Co schools along with Salem. Carroll Co was added later (head scratcher).
We still have the Blue Ridge district and several of the teams still play their old rivalry games.
This is probably the best option. Make two districts one with 6 the other with 5. You could then add a school that's looking for a new district to compete in as well. Allows the old rivalry games to continue with schedule openings for football and basketball

Dan, you of all people know that the RVa area don't care about districts - they make their own rules. The Magnolia Green area school will be 6A and will play the schools that will enhance their regional standings.
However this may fuel the fire for an all Chesterfield District (again).

Reactions: BoKnowsSports

nobody asked me but I would call them;
the Otterdale High School Otters.
I would have the colors forest green/white/burgundy
depositphotos_335891460-stock-illustration-otters-cute-cuple-animal-characters.jpg
images

or
D-400.png
800px-Lion_Passant_Guardant.svg.png

the Duval High School Lions
I would have the colors blue/gold/red

Last edited:
In 2003 Cave Spring was split creating Hidden Valley. They were in the Blue Ridge district at the time. Creating an 11 school district. The River Ridge district was then created having teams from C3-C6. It was made up of mostly Roanoke Co schools along with Salem. Carroll Co was added later (head scratcher).
We still have the Blue Ridge district and several of the teams still play their old rivalry games.
This is probably the best option. Make two districts one with 6 the other with 5. You could then add a school that's looking for a new district to compete in as well. Allows the old rivalry games to continue with schedule openings for football and basketball
That's actually not a bad idea. I mean lets be honest, in the old days (pre-2013) when we had the old regions each region had 4 districts but I don't believe there is anything that would keep a 5th district from being created. In fact, in the Richmond/Central Region we have 34 schools and when you add another that will be 35 schools. You could actually do 5 districts with 7 teams in which is what the four districts (Capital, Central, Colonial & Dominion) had back in the 90's.

This would be my suggestion: 4 districts with 9 teams each. Not perfect, but fair. Especially, with the VHSL allowing districts to allow teams to waive some district games. Great for other sports too.

Dominion: Powhatan, Midlothian, Manchester, Monacan, James River, Cosby, Midlothian, Clover Hill, and New School.

Central: Bird, Dale, Meadowbrook, Matoaca, Hopewell, Dinwiddie, Colonial Heights, Prince George, and Petersburg.

Colonial: Freeman, Huguenot, Glen Allen, Hermitage, Tucker, Deep Run, TJ, Godwin, and RSA. Maggie Walker (non football)

Capital: Highland Springs, Varina, John Marshall, Armstrong, Atlee, PH-Ashland, Hanover, Mechanicsville, and Henrico

Reactions: pizzzzza and SFUWO
This would be my suggestion: 4 districts with 9 teams each. Not perfect, but fair. Especially, with the VHSL allowing districts to allow teams to waive some district games. Great for other sports too.

Dominion: Powhatan, Midlothian, Manchester, Monacan, James River, Cosby, Midlothian, Clover Hill, and New School.

Central: Bird, Dale, Meadowbrook, Matoaca, Hopewell, Dinwiddie, Colonial Heights, Prince George, and Petersburg.

Colonial: Freeman, Huguenot, Glen Allen, Hermitage, Tucker, Deep Run, TJ, Godwin, and RSA. Maggie Walker (non football)

Capital: Highland Springs, Varina, John Marshall, Armstrong, Atlee, PH-Ashland, Hanover, Mechanicsville, and Henrico
not bad
Chesterfield will want an all county district tho.

I hope not it would wreck the Central District and would create a horrid situation for non revenue sports as well.
They tried last cycle but the VHSL executive committee turned them down.

Last edited:
Dan, you of all people know that the RVa area don't care about districts - they make their own rules. The Magnolia Green area school will be 6A and will play the schools that will enhance their regional standings.
However this may fuel the fire for an all Chesterfield District (again).
I'd almost bet on Chesterfield pushing for their own district again.

Good looking district lineup.

I will still beat it like a dead horse. Every school should play every team in its district no matter what the Richmond teams think. There should no waivers to allow a team go not schedule district opponents. Every region should have two or four districts; preferably four if we dropped to four classes.

If you think you're too good to play a full district schedule, just go play in VISAA or just have a random national independent schedule.

@Virginia HS Football Fan, I tend to agree with you about the District games; however, due to the current district alignments some games are just not a good idea and frankly not in the best interest of either school. Let's use Glen Allen (Class 6) vs. John Marshall (Class 2). They are both in the Colonial District, but the enrollment, depth, and talent gap in every sport other than basketball is ridiculous.

Its not just about football. I umpired for many years in the 804 and I can tell you a Glen Allen vs. John Marshall game takes 3+ hours to play even with the mercy rule. What does it prove? These are kids we are attempting to encourage to participate and stay involved.

@Virginia HS Football Fan, I tend to agree with you about the District games; however, due to the current district alignments some games are just not a good idea and frankly not in the best interest of either school. Let's use Glen Allen (Class 6) vs. John Marshall (Class 2). They are both in the Colonial District, but the enrollment, depth, and talent gap in every sport other than basketball is ridiculous.

Its not just about football. I umpired for many years in the 804 and I can tell you a Glen Allen vs. John Marshall game takes 3+ hours to play even with the mercy rule. What does it prove? These are kids we are attempting to encourage to participate and stay involved.
I fully agree. That’s why there is an option to opt out, and it’s “checked and balanced” by the fact that it has to be approved unanimously by the district.

Remember the VHSL is the member schools. Why would each region allow school divisions to determine regions. That gives a clear unfair advantage to the bigger divisions. It would set a bad precedent. Just saying.
also remember regions are autonomous and the VHSL has little power over them.
Remember the VHSL is the member schools. Why would each region allow school divisions to determine regions. That gives a clear unfair advantage to the bigger divisions. It would set a bad precedent. Just saying.
too late the precedent has already been set in NOVA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT