ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

Graham is a well oiled machine and will be a problem for all of 2A for the foreseeable future. IMO, Riverheads may be in contention in region B but likely will not have the horsepower to make it back to Salem. Time will tell and either way it will be fun to see another season of HS football unfold for us old folks.

The young man to watch from our area is an upcoming freshman with Stuarts Draft. He is an absolute monster that will likely determine just how far the Cougars go this season. Hard runner but he is a hammer on defense with high football IQ.

Is Alleghany and Covington combining?
Alleghany and Covington are combining to become the Alleghany Cougars and will be Class 3
1p1.jpg

I’m going to assume that you haven’t actually seen Riverheads play if you don’t think they would’ve been right in the mix for the 2A state championship the last 6-7 years. If they had been 2A it wouldn’t have been as easy on them in the playoffs but I think they would still have somewhere between 2-4 state championships in that time frame.

I know Riverheads will lose Bennet Dunlap, Luke Bryant, Cody Cash and some others to graduation but they will have Cayden Cook-Cash back and (if healthy) he will (arguably) be the best player in 2A next year. I’m not sure if they have enough to reload this year like they have in the past but with their coaching, tradition & Cook-Cash coming back I wouldn’t count them out being back in Salem.

Graham's talent is not 2a. It's 5a type talent. Just crazy that each year, not 1, but sometimes 2 and 3 guys with d1 offers. Great coaching in Bluefield with Palmer and company. I just dont know if RH has the talent for its top 22 players compared to Graham. Got Jennings, Isabelle, Clements,. All 3 either have or will have D1 offers. Then you got another Bradshaw and Isabelle coming up, and they say Palmers own kids might be div 1 who are coming up. It just dont end there with d1 talent. Then, they got a kid from Princeton who transferred and they say he might be the best player on the entire team in 2023. Just not 2a talent up there.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Graham's talent is not 2a. It's 5a type talent. Just crazy that each year, not 1, but sometimes 2 and 3 guys with d1 offers. Great coaching in Bluefield with Palmer and company. I just dont know if RH has the talent for its top 22 players compared to Graham. Got Jennings, Isabelle, Clements,. All 3 either have or will have D1 offers. Then you got another Bradshaw and Isabelle coming up, and they say Palmers own kids might be div 1 who are coming up. It just dont end there with d1 talent. Then, they got a kid from Princeton who transferred and they say he might be the best player on the entire team in 2023. Just not 2a talent up there.
I don’t doubt Graham is very good with much talent. RH is a seasoned program from what I understand. A friend from that area tells me they don’t get intimidated by larger, much bigger school enrollments who often have more talent. He refers to them as engerizer bunnies. All can be said but my conclusion is that’s why we play the game. Wishing great season for everyone.

Riverheads has a great program and talent of their own. Riverheads is usually the more talented team in their cause they built and grown talent over the years. They've benefited by 1a where teams are heavy run. 2a is mostly the same. Graham is different. They will spread you out and force you to cover their speed. Few teams RH has played over the years is just wide open and spread out. It just dont happen much in 1a or 2a. A glimpse of some problems RH could have with Graham was 2 years ago at home against Tazewell who passed them at will. Tazewell couldn't stop them and RHs one the game, but that's a glimpse of something RH would have to deal with, but on a whole other level than Tazewell.

I would say the reverse opposite, most of these spread offenses are soft as cotton , with the spread if you turn the ball over to a ball control physical team you could be in trouble , I see the Gladiators having great success because of their physicality.

Reactions: TS69
What you guys do not seem to understand is that Riverheads has never been made up of the most talented kids. They play a system and beat teams with more talented kids every year. The last few years they have had very good talent to go a long with that system. Without injury they will be in the mix for 2A this year. I believe their talent level will fall off a good bit after this season but, we will see. I have a ton of respect for Graham, they have talent every year it seems. Essex was a very talented team this past year also. Riverheads has played 3A spread teams in their own district the last upteen years. You can look up 3A state track results and find the names of kids that were on the losing end on the football field. I hope Riverheads is good enough to meet Graham in the post season, and if somehow they did, and Riverheads won, it would not be because they had better talent.

Reactions: Bama1985
Graham will be a serious threat again. The defense should be solid again and with all of the offensive firepower and good physical strength on the line, they will have all of the ingredients to be successful again. Can't imagine how Clements could top the performance in his junior season, but I'm ready to watch him again. That kid has talent.

I’m going to assume that you haven’t actually seen Riverheads play if you don’t think they would’ve been right in the mix for the 2A state championship the last 6-7 years. If they had been 2A it wouldn’t have been as easy on them in the playoffs but I think they would still have somewhere between 2-4 state championships in that time frame.

I know Riverheads will lose Bennet Dunlap, Luke Bryant, Cody Cash and some others to graduation but they will have Cayden Cook-Cash back and (if healthy) he will (arguably) be the best player in 2A next year. I’m not sure if they have enough to reload this year like they have in the past but with their coaching, tradition & Cook-Cash coming back I wouldn’t count them out being back in Salem.
As long as Tydrez Clements plays Cook-Cash won't be.

What you guys do not seem to understand is that Riverheads has never been made up of the most talented kids. They play a system and beat teams with more talented kids every year. The last few years they have had very good talent to go a long with that system. Without injury they will be in the mix for 2A this year. I believe their talent level will fall off a good bit after this season but, we will see. I have a ton of respect for Graham, they have talent every year it seems. Essex was a very talented team this past year also. Riverheads has played 3A spread teams in their own district the last upteen years. You can look up 3A state track results and find the names of kids that were on the losing end on the football field. I hope Riverheads is good enough to meet Graham in the post season, and if somehow they did, and Riverheads won, it would not be because they had better talent.
They beat teams because they execute and they are better and stronger on the lines. But they won't be better than Graham up front. That's a fact.

I know Riverheads will lose Bennet Dunlap, Luke Bryant, Cody Cash and some others to graduation but they will have Cayden Cook-Cash back and (if healthy) he will (arguably) be the best player in 2A next year.
Cayden Cook-Cash is a supreme talent but so is Clements from Graham. Kid had out of this world stats & that's with missing two games. I hope both stay healthy because they’re both lots of fun to watch.

Graham is loaded with talent at the skill positions, along with Clements and Jennings, Jamel Floyd and Chris Edwards aren't your average 2A players either. They lose a solid QB in Meadows, but I hear very good things about the Roberts kid who I suspect will be the starter. Graham's line play should be stellar once again, they will have size and depth and the linebacking corps will be outstanding with Isabelle, Hughes, Raley and company. This team has potential to be as good as or better than last season, can't wait to see how it all unfolds. One thing for sure is that Graham is producing consistently solid teams. I hope this trend continues for a while.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Riverheads has a great program and talent of their own. Riverheads is usually the more talented team in their cause they built and grown talent over the years. They've benefited by 1a where teams are heavy run. 2a is mostly the same. Graham is different. They will spread you out and force you to cover their speed. Few teams RH has played over the years is just wide open and spread out. It just dont happen much in 1a or 2a. A glimpse of some problems RH could have with Graham was 2 years ago at home against Tazewell who passed them at will. Tazewell couldn't stop them and RHs one the game, but that's a glimpse of something RH would have to deal with, but on a whole other level than Tazewell.
WC was the last program to repeatedly beat the Riverheads program and they spreaded them out and made them cover speed and the run. Imo, he was WCs defense that gave them the advantage to be able to win games against Riverheads.

WC was the last program to repeatedly beat the Riverheads program and they spreaded them out and made them cover speed and the run. Imo, he was WCs defense that gave them the advantage to be able to win games against Riverheads.
If Graham & Riverheads were to ever meet, Graham has one of the best defensive minds in HS football on staff and the defense was very consistent all year last year. The defense held Central Woodstock to a 1st Q TD. Graham lost some key defensive players but return a lot. The returning players for Graham and upcoming 9th graders have been hitting weight room hard & heavy since January. I look for the GMen to be just as athletic and physical as last season, maybe more so.

If Graham & Riverheads were to ever meet, Graham has one of the best defensive minds in HS football on staff and the defense was very consistent all year last year. The defense held Central Woodstock to a 1st Q TD. Graham lost some key defensive players but return a lot. The returning players for Graham and upcoming 9th graders have been hitting weight room hard & heavy since January. I look for the GMen to be just as athletic and physical as last season, maybe more so.
7 defensive starters return

You're not wrong about that. They will be big and physical and strong with some very talented athletes in the mix. Credit to the coaches and the off-season weight lifting and conditioning. They are working hard.

I think Riverheads will win Region 2B, but won't win the state title. That would be my prediction. They will be a top 5 team in Class 2 but not quite the best. Central and Draft will be their two biggest threats in the region but I think Riverheads will be fine. I think once they get to the Final Four, they finally run into teams in the playoffs that are just as traditionally strong (Appo, Graham, etc.) and will bow out there. We will see! 2B is a pretty tough region top to bottom. Excited to see Big Red Machine this year.

I think Riverheads will win Region 2B, but won't win the state title. That would be my prediction. They will be a top 5 team in Class 2 but not quite the best. Central and Draft will be their two biggest threats in the region but I think Riverheads will be fine. I think once they get to the Final Four, they finally run into teams in the playoffs that are just as traditionally strong (Appo, Graham, etc.) and will bow out there. We will see! 2B is a pretty tough region top to bottom. Excited to see Big Red Machine this year.
I think Riverheads plays for the state title. Style of play with Woodstock and Draft plays into Riverheads hands in Region B post season. I got Riverheads in a close one over Poquoson/King William winner in the semi's. I'd be surprised if the team coming from the west isn't Graham or Appomattox that Riverheads meets in title game

You're not wrong about that. They will be big and physical and strong with some very talented athletes in the mix. Credit to the coaches and the off-season weight lifting and conditioning. They are working hard.
Yeah, they've been in the weight room since January. Some of those boys are really bulking up. I think they'll be just as physical & strong as last year. Tony Palmer has assembled a great coaching staff that work well together. They get the boys to buy into the off-season lifting & conditioning. If a team doesn't have players all in even during the off season, it's hard to build a consistently successful program. I look forward to seeing how they do this year.

Yeah, they've been in the weight room since January. Some of those boys are really bulking up. I think they'll be just as physical & strong as last year. Tony Palmer has assembled a great coaching staff that work well together. They get the boys to buy into the off-season lifting & conditioning. If a team doesn't have players all in even during the off season, it's hard to build a consistently successful program. I look forward to seeing how they do this year.
I wish I could see that kind of dedication at Radford. We have some dedicated kids, but don't have that kind of buy in like a Graham or Appomattox or even Glenvar in the off-season.

Riverheads should be competitive in the Region. I would not be surprised to see them wing Region B. My main concern with them is can they match up with the physical line play that Central has. That was on of the main places where Central held a big advantage over all teams they played with Graham being the exception. Central also has a very good and physical LB group led by who I think is best LB in Region B in Forbes. Week 1 will be interesting as the Falcons and Gladiators face off.

Central did a good job of containing Clements, for the most part, he did manage to break a td run tonput the game out of reach. Graham had too many weapons in the arsenal. Turnovers hurt Central, but I was impressed with their physicality. It'll be interesting to see if they can contain the rb from Riverheads. Offensively, it will be interesting to see if Central can move the ball consistently against the Gladiators and limit the turnovers. They seem like they could control the ball against other teams, if they can capitalize off of their possessions.

Central did a good job of containing Clements, for the most part, he did manage to break a td run tonput the game out of reach. Graham had too many weapons in the arsenal. Turnovers hurt Central, but I was impressed with their physicality. It'll be interesting to see if they can contain the rb from Riverheads. Offensively, it will be interesting to see if Central can move the ball consistently against the Gladiators and limit the turnovers. They seem like they could control the ball against other teams, if they can capitalize off of their possessions.
Did Central lose much to graduation, reason I'm asking is because Luray beat them on their home field last year and was up 15-6 at halftime in playoffs, Centrals depth wore Luray out in the second half, Luray's team depth hurt them all year.

Reactions: BGfootball95
I do not think they lost much to graduation. They return Forbes who will be a major key to their success. If memory serves me right they have 8 defensive starters returning and 7 or 8 offensive starters returning. I can not find last years roster to verify my numbers.

Central

Overall, on offense for All State, they had 5 players make either 1st team or 2nd team All State, and they lose 4 of those 5. Forbes Returns, but they lose a WR, an O Lineman, the Kicker and the Kick Returner.

Overall on defense for All State, Central had 3 players make either 1st team All State or 2nd Team All State. They lose 1 of those 3 with a DB lost to graduation, but Forbes and Lopez both return and they both were 1st team All State.

Team Total is 8 players that made either 1st or 2nd team All State. They lose 5 of the 8 (return 3).

Last edited:
Central

Overall, on offense for All State, they had 5 players make either 1st team or 2nd team All State, and they lose 4 of those 5. Forbes Returns, but they lose a WR, an O Lineman, the Kicker and the Kick Returner.

Overall on defense for All State, Central had 3 players make either 1st team All State or 2nd Team All State. They lose 1 of those 3 with a DB lost to graduation, but Forbes and Lopez both return and they both were 1st team All State.

Team Total is 8 players that made either 1st or 2nd team All State. They lose 5 of the 8 (return 3).
I forgot about Lopez, very good defensive player, reminded me a lot of Graham's Roberts.

Riverheads/Central game 1 should be a good one. They could very easily have a rematch for regional championship. Usually the best time to get Riverheads is early but, I think Riverheads will be out to make a statement game one. CCC was only healthy the first two and a quarter games last year. Should be fun.

Riverheads/Central game 1 should be a good one. They could very easily have a rematch for regional championship. Usually the best time to get Riverheads is early but, I think Riverheads will be out to make a statement game one. CCC was only healthy the first two and a quarter games last year. Should be fun.
I am not going to My alma maters opener just so I can go to the Riverheads/Central game. I want to see Forbes and Cook Cash collide that night

I am not going to My alma maters opener just so I can go to the Riverheads/Central game. I want to see Forbes and Cook Cash collide that night
Does anyone on here remember the game between Rivershead's Andrew Hemp and Luray's Chris Good,RIverheads won 49 -47

Reactions: Bama1985
Should be a great game, both Forbes and CCC are very talented runners, see which team can slow down the other team if possible, if u can get to rhs it will be early in the season, where they usually start out sluggish, hopefully central will bring some extra bleachers out cause rhs brings the crowd for every game

That was on of the main places where Central held a big advantage over all teams they played with Graham being the exception.
Central held its own against us on the LOS. We got the best of the battle especially in the 4th, but Central helds is own on the LOS. Forbes had over 100 yds and a 34-7 type game would have been a 27-13 or 30-14 type game if Central doesn't have some really costly turnovers, and one of those where they were about go in. We were the better team, but the two teams were closer than what the final score showed. 5 turnovers is brutal. I was impressed with Central up front.

After calling the play-by-play for all but one of their five previous playoff matchups on Raiders Radio-WBRG, Lynchburg, I will predict it here once again: Doug Smith's Appomattox Raiders will most definitely win over Kevin Clifford's Glenvar Highlanders in the Region 2C Playoffs for an unprecedented 6th season on November 24, 2023.

Graham is loaded with talent at the skill positions, along with Clements and Jennings, Jamel Floyd and Chris Edwards aren't your average 2A players either. They lose a solid QB in Meadows, but I hear very good things about the Roberts kid who I suspect will be the starter. Graham's line play should be stellar once again, they will have size and depth and the linebacking corps will be outstanding with Isabelle, Hughes, Raley and company. This team has potential to be as good as or better than last season, can't wait to see how it all unfolds. One thing for sure is that Graham is producing consistently solid teams. I hope this trend continues for a while.
Well if they have that much D-1 talent,they must be underperforming because Central had more trouble moving the ball and stopping the Luray Bulldogs than they did Graham, Luray won the first game at Central 41 -25 lost second one 23-15, had over 350 yards rushing in the first game. This team didn't have but a couple kids that made all district.

Well if they have that much D-1 talent,they must be underperforming because Central had more trouble moving the ball and stopping the Luray Bulldogs than they did Graham, Luray won the first game at Central 41 -25 lost second one 23-15, had over 350 yards rushing in the first game. This team didn't have but a couple kids that made all district.
Last time I checked the scoreboard said 34-7

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT