ADVERTISEMENT

Next year

Well if they have that much D-1 talent,they must be underperforming because Central had more trouble moving the ball and stopping the Luray Bulldogs than they did Graham, Luray won the first game at Central 41 -25 lost second one 23-15, had over 350 yards rushing in the first game. This team didn't have but a couple kids that made all district.
If going 15-0 and winning the state title 34-7 and having a 30 game regular season winning streak is under-performing, we will take it..

Well if they have that much D-1 talent,they must be underperforming because Central had more trouble moving the ball and stopping the Luray Bulldogs than they did Graham, Luray won the first game at Central 41 -25 lost second one 23-15, had over 350 yards rushing in the first game. This team didn't have but a couple kids that made all district.
Not a good take bro. Never write the word underperforming in describing a team that wins a state title, in any sport. Even if you feel that way, ya just don't write it.

Good thing the game is four quarters, I guess. I'm a fan of a different program who has won state a time or two and they won one title in particular by 3 scores and because it was a one score game midway through the fourth, the ultimate MOV apparently doesn't matter.

They play 48 minutes. Not 36, not 40, not 43, but 48. If your team can't hold up for the full 48 then that's their problem and the score is well, the score. Elite teams play a full 48, end of discussion.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
That game was never in doubt 5 minutes in. I dont know what game you watched but if that makes you feel better ok.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
As long as Tydrez Clements plays Cook-Cash won't be.
I said “arguably.”

I’ve seen both play multiple times. Both are great, but they are completely different players so “best” is very subjective when comparing the two.

Cook-Cash is definitely something to see for those who haven’t followed 1A ball.

You’re definitely spot on, Graham is underperforming. I don’t know what Tony Palmer & company are doing up in Bluefield but they obviously need some direction. What a dismal record and showing last year. Hopefully, they get their act together this year and those players do better against their opponents. 😂

I said “arguably.”

I’ve seen both play multiple times. Both are great, but they are completely different players so “best” is very subjective when comparing the two.

Cook-Cash is definitely something to see for those who haven’t followed 1A ball.
I agree with this assessment. Clements looks bigger, stronger and faster(hard to believe he could get much faster) going by the eye test, to me. Can't wait to see him play. The emergence of sophomore RB Daniel Jennings, who is a different type of running back, but very effective, will most likely spell Clements somewhat this season. Not sure if he will put up the video game-like stats as often this year, because he may be sharing the ball more often, but he will be more than capable.

Bluefield
I agree with this assessment. Clements looks bigger, stronger and faster(hard to believe he could get much faster) going by the eye test, to me. Can't wait to see him play. The emergence of sophomore RB Daniel Jennings, who is a different type of running back, but very effective, will most likely spell Clements somewhat this season. Not sure if he will put up the video game-like stats as often this year, because he may be sharing the ball more often, but he will be more than capable.
What I have been trying to say is, last year to have read the stats and all the hoopla,I figuerd there was absolutely no reason for Central to even show up,take away the 5 turnovers they had they could have possably won the game

Bluefield

What I have been trying to say is, last year to have read the stats and all the hoopla,I figuerd there was absolutely no reason for Central to even show up,take away the 5 turnovers they had they could have possably won the game
Great defensive coaches teach players how to cause turnovers and how to hit to knock the ball loose. Central was solid but they weren’t winning that game regardless of turnovers in my opinion. I’m anxious to see CCC & Forbes in that first regular season game. Class 2A has a lot of talent all over the state.

take away the 5 turnovers they had they could have possably won the game
I respectfully disagree on this one my friend. Central had 232 yds offense total. They were also done by the 4th quarter on the line of scrimmage. If that game were 5 quarters, it would have been much worse. What got Central was their inability to big play Graham. Even when Graham was fooled by early passes in the first quarter, the closing speed of Graham turned what should have been a 50 yd gain into a 15 yd gain. Other than the one turnover for Central that happened inside the Graham 20, if Central wouldn't have turned over, they would have punted. 3 of the 5 turnovers came on 3rd and long desperation plays for Central. If Central doesn't turn over the first two times, Graham still gets the ball at midfield after the punt instead of getting the ball at the Central 30.

Bluefield

Yes because the Graham defense had nothing to do with that. They played once and got their ass kicked. That's the bottom line. And if Luray was there it would've been the same.

Yes because the Graham defense had nothing to do with that. They played once and got their ass kicked. That's the bottom line. And if Luray was there it would've been the same.
Good luck this year to you guys and if my teams young players pan out we could be good by the time playoffs roll around, one thing is for sure they will be battle tested.

Last years Luray team, when healthy, was nasty. As someone has mentioned before, they just had very little depth. An injury or ejection to one player changed them. Graham is the real deal though and everyone should know that.

Last years Luray team, when healthy, was nasty. As someone has mentioned before, they just had very little depth. An injury or ejection to one player changed them. Graham is the real deal though and everyone should know that.
They were nasty. Depth was a issue. The ejection or all the crazy 15 yard penalties they would get when a player would lose their cool. That all comes back to dicipline and coaching.

They were nasty. Depth was a issue. The ejection or all the crazy 15 yard penalties they would get when a player would lose their cool. That all comes back to dicipline and coaching.
Yes, those dumb penalty issues have haunted Graham for the past few years as well. They improved on that quite a bit last season as the season went on.

King William vs Stuarts Draft on Auguat 25th should be another one that could be special.

Reactions: 19GHS87
Appo fans. How much us of those lineman do you return next year. Appomattox County from game 1 through the last game just kept trending through the roof on the offensive line. Were those kids seniors, juniors, sophomores, etc. Even with the loss of Pennix and Copeland, Appomattox is going to be scary if they replicate what the offensive line was at the end of the season. That Appo offensive line is what beat Radford and Glenvar in the playoffs.
Poor coaching is why Appomattox beat Radford. Crist thinks he can outscore everyone and plays a lackluster defense. Last season was a big disappointment.

I was a bit surprised when the Raiders made it past Radford last year, then surprised again to see them beat Glenvar. Not that I thought they were bad I just didn't think they were on that level.
I wasn't at the Graham game and don't remember the score. I do think I remember it being a competitive game where Appo took the opening drive to the goal line and fumbled. I also remember a Graham KO that looked like it was going out of bounds and then took a drastic turn to roll to the one where we covered it and later resulting in a safety.
Not sure on how Appomattox will be this year. They return some key players but have some holes to fill as well.
You just don't replace a Jonathan Pennix easily.

I was a bit surprised when the Raiders made it past Radford last year, then surprised again to see them beat Glenvar. Not that I thought they were bad I just didn't think they were on that level.
Appomattox is so well coached. He takes a team that might have similar talent across the board or maybe last year, not quite as talented as Radford/Glenvar, but Smith accounts for 14 points and closes that gap. Special coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT