ADVERTISEMENT

No Friday night lights in Essex this week

Oct 13, 2013
Due to lighting issues at Essex High School, the game has been officially moved to Saturday at 2pm. School staff have started working on the repairs this morning, however this will be an extensive project involving outside contractors and the utility provider. The plan is to have it completed by the end of the week, however the move was decided today to give everyone time to prepare in case something did not go as predicted.

I understand they have known about this issue for a while but took no action until now. True or false?

Essex as a consistent playoff contender should have a better place to call home stadium geez

Essex guys, hey there, wait just a moment. I could not help but comment on your problem with lights at your statidum. I would not rule out the use of some rental industrial lights for this game. These lights are out there, have your Superinendent look into this as an option. Just my 2 cents worth!

Hey guys, please keep this date change updated. I may finally get my opportunity to see Essex play. I've tried for two years to catch the W&L-Essex Sat. game and couldn't work it out. But this looks like my chance.

I have chatted with several of you over the last year or tow and would appreciate the chance to meet you personally before the game, and just put a face to a name. I suggest before the game at a place and time one of you designates?

Looking forward to this game and shaking hands with a friend or two.

DP

If Essex community wants better facilities than they should do a better job attending games. There isn't a lot of money the school system has for improvement, especially when they need improvement scholastically. The money they get for attendance is pretty much the only revenue the athletic department receives - very few 1A schools have school board funds earmarked specifically for athletics.

Reactions: gwb16
I'm not sure how their booster club works (if its football only or as whole sports booster club).

Last edited:
The game will be on Saturday, many people are not happy with this decision, especially since there may be other underlying issues other than the lighting that have caused the game to be moved. The lights are under repair this week, however this is a constant problem dealing with the aging infrastructure of the stadium. Most of it has been in place since 1976. The scoreboard is that old per others in the community confirmed last year when Essex had to play an entire game with the score and time kept on the field by the officials. Every year it is something else that is failing and doing just enough to get by. either way, I'm sure the Trojans will be ready to play come Saturday when they meet Luray. Just sad that these kids have had one of the most consistent programs for almost 15 years, and the schools doesn't do anything to enhance the experience for the fans or the students. If you have the time on Saturday, kickoff is set for 2pm

Another reason why the VHSL makes Essex host at other sites. Soon any playoff game will require hosting at another stadium.

Hey guys, Essex football is known all over the State, and for all the right reasons. Success breeds success. The facilities at Essex are not up to what they should be, from what I gather by reading these post. I added my 2cents once, but here I go again.
You guys in Essex need to revive your Booster club. A Coach of a State Champ squad once told me that a booster club was not doing their job if they were not in debt! In otherwords, the club had to be active in doing things for the school and team, making iimprovements and working hand in hand with the school and school bd on projects. It sort of like knowing you have debts to pay, and that booster club HAS to be active in fund raisers to pay the debt. Some of the problem is when a kid graduates from High School, the parents are no where to be seen the next year at the booster club meeting. That is a fact Jack! Retention of members in a booster club is a big issue. Keep the club going and meeting 12 months a year. Everyone has to buy into this idea, and that includes the school and coach. If the kids see the club members working, they will work also!
I hope that Essex's booster club is well and active. If it is not, maybe a few tips can help. Hey guys, I have been there before, and it ain't easy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT