ADVERTISEMENT

Not HS Football, but I gotta vent!!!

ClarkeFan83

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 6, 2015
Berryville, VA
I do not understand why the NCAA has a stupid rule that a team that moves up from FCS to FBS is ineligible for post season play their first year in the FBS. My God, JMU just showed they were the best in the Sun Belt Conference and should be in the Conference Championship game!!! Why can't they be bowl eligible as well? They played well in the FBS and had a winning record!!! Makes no sense.
</rant>

I do not understand why the NCAA has a stupid rule that a team that moves up from FCS to FBS is ineligible for post season play their first year in the FBS. My God, JMU just showed they were the best in the Sun Belt Conference and should be in the Conference Championship game!!! Why can't they be bowl eligible as well? They played well in the FBS and had a winning record!!! Makes no sense.
</rant>

:mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And they ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED Coastal Carolina, 47-7, who gets to play against Troy. CC would have hosted Troy had they been able to beat the mighty Dukes.:mad::mad:

As I understand it, the rule exists to prevent teams from jumping up to FBS when they know they have a generational team and then immediately dropping back to FCS. It's supposed to be a "50-year decision" or something along those lines. I don't agree with it, but that's at least that's what I've been told the official reasoning is.

And fun fact, it also applies to next year too, so unless a waiver is granted JMU won't be able to go bowling in 2023 either.

It does suck for the Dukes though. They have been the best program in Virginia for the last few years. I would take them by at least 21 over Tech. If not for their QB's injury and clearly not being at 100% for a few games, there's a chance they're sitting at 11-0 right now, or at least 10-1.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
From what I've heard, JMU appealed the 2 year rule and it's only 1 year now. And I understand the reasoning behind the rule, but I really don't think that should be the enforcement policy. Denying the best teams to play in a championship game just because they are the new guys on the block is dumb, imho. Don't allow teams to drop back to FCS for 10 years once they join FBS.

And they ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED Coastal Carolina, 47-7, who gets to play against Troy. CC would have hosted Troy had they been able to beat the mighty Dukes.:mad::mad:
To be fair, CC’s star QB was hurt. Obviously that doesn’t have much to do with the defense giving up 47 though.

JMU’s loss to Georgia Southern was the only one where they were really fully healthy, definitely could have beaten Marshall and think would have been competitive with Lousiville had Centeio not gotten injured.

Regardless, great season down here in Harrisonburg.

To be fair, CC’s star QB was hurt. Obviously that doesn’t have much to do with the defense giving up 47 though.

JMU’s loss to Georgia Southern was the only one where they were really fully healthy, definitely could have beaten Marshall and think would have been competitive with Lousiville had Centeio not gotten injured.

Regardless, great season down here in Harrisonburg.
I've seen a fair amount of Coastal this year. I don't know that they would've beaten JMU, but can tell you that's totally different team without Grayson McCall. More to the point, though, it is a dumb rule to hold those guys out of the postseason.

Speaking of JMU there's talk that Cignetti or Coastal's coach could be contacted by Liberty for there opening.

I don’t see Liberty as being an upgrade for either one.

JMU nor CC can come remotely close to matching Liberty's wallet. Programs come and go, one good contract at a school that pays well can set up generational wealth that can affect your grandkid's grandkids.

Fact of the matter is JMU underpays Cignetti by a significant amount and CC is just a random G5 having a good coach/QB combo for a few years. Liberty can offer those guys a contract worth 15-20 million, you'd be a fool to take JMU's chump change or CC's handout salary. I don't even like Liberty in the least but their money is as green as the next school's.

Reactions: tommythecpa
It will be interesting to see who they bring in. One things for sure they have the money. An as they say money talks.

I would be surprised if Chadwell left Coastal Carolina for Liberty. That's a pretty tight bunch. McCall could've transferred to a number of P5 programs, and Chadwell's name has come up a bunch, of course things could change. That would be a solid hire for them.

Honestly, I never would've left Liberty if I were Hugh Freeze. Truth is that's a killer job for someone like him. How much were they paying him? Something like $5 mil a year? He's done the whole SEC thing. Had some success. He could've retired there. Auburn boosters/fans are INSANE.

Because you're from around the area (I'm assuming), like me, and I'd never leave either but Freeze is from the Deep South. That's home to him and he's going back there. Liberty only got him because of unique circumstances, it was only ever a bounce-back job for him. I'm sure he liked Liberty fine and all but it's not where he belonged and he knew it.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
Because you're from around the area (I'm assuming), like me, and I'd never leave either but Freeze is from the Deep South. That's home to him and he's going back there. Liberty only got him because of unique circumstances, it was only ever a bounce-back job for him. I'm sure he liked Liberty fine and all but it's not where he belonged and he knew it.
You are right about that. He's spent the bulk of his career down there. Even at the HS level iirc. I think it's in his DNA too. Some people just have that itch.

Last edited:
JMU nor CC can come remotely close to matching Liberty's wallet. Programs come and go, one good contract at a school that pays well can set up generational wealth that can affect your grandkid's grandkids.

Fact of the matter is JMU underpays Cignetti by a significant amount and CC is just a random G5 having a good coach/QB combo for a few years. Liberty can offer those guys a contract worth 15-20 million, you'd be a fool to take JMU's chump change or CC's handout salary. I don't even like Liberty in the least but their money is as green as the next school's.
They may have more $ but the programs at JMU snd CC are better. But then again I’m from the opposite side of the state where there is little mention of Liberty on football..

JMU is getting a good one. Jarvis Green, a RB commit from Dutch Fork. Surprised he doesn't have P5 offers. Dutch Fork will be playing Fort Dorchester in the SC 5A State Final at noon on Saturday in Columbia.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
</rant>
It's a way to squash potential success and growth of programs under the guise of, "we're really looking out for you".

Personally I feel like Liberty has been the best program in the state the last few years. I also feel like their facilities are superior to those of JMU. The stadium has a better atmosphere and the locker rooms, weight room, and athletic trainer areas are all much nicer than JMU's.

I was surprised that Freeze left, but Auburn threw a ton of money at him and he does have the ties to the deep south. I see Liberty forking out some $$$ to get their next coach. They should go after Coach Prime, lol.

Liberty does have nicer stuff, due to their 100,000 online students and profiting off of the GI bill. JMU has a much better football program though. Def the two best in VA right now.

Not sure he was underpaid at Coastal at all. I mean, his team got WORKED by JMU, losing by 40 and it could have been worse. Think he’s a good coach, but don’t think he was being underpaid at Coastal.

Not sure he was underpaid at Coastal at all. I mean, his team got WORKED by JMU, losing by 40 and it could have been worse. Think he’s a good coach, but don’t think he was being underpaid at Coastal.
I'm not a Coastal fan or alum, so I don't really have a dog in the fight, but as previously mentioned, Coastal was missing their starting QB against JMU. I don't know that they would've won, JMU is very good, but it certainly makes a difference.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Also, I don't know what the going rate is for a HC in the Sun Belt, but Chadwell was something like 31-6 there his last three seasons. He won a ton of COY awards including the AP a couple years ago. Not sure how he'll do at Liberty. But he had Coastal humming along pretty good.

JMU knew Jarvis wasn’t coming. Hell, he and his coach were enthusiastically and publicly begging for offers from Clemson & USC.

• Haha
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT