ADVERTISEMENT

Now here this, mighty Buckingham puts up 84 on Cumberland

lucustookis

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 7, 2007
Bull Island, VA
Looks like Buckingham County may be turning it around as they go to 2-5. With a fierce test placed by the powerhouse Cumberland team, it was one of no vice for the mighty Knights. Bluestone, Randolph-Henry, and Prince Edward County (combined record of 6-16)will certainly be tall tests and they are solid, but no match for Buckingham County which looks to win 4 in a row and finish 5-5 in the season. The final game with Prince Edward will be a tough one. Although the Prince Edward defense gave up 87 points against Central, don't let that fool you. They will come to play against the Buckingham offense. Should be a classic.

Last edited:
For some one that posts such dislike for Buckingham, it is quite ironic you follow them so close and are the first to make a thread.

Now "hear" this. Cumberland may be the worst team in the state!! Also, any coach that allows his team to score more than 80 on a team is a jack wagon. Take a knee punt it away on first down, it's a running clock. At least let the play clock run down.

Your crazy; take a knee or punt on first down.

Second and third team guys (mostly third or fourth team guys by this point) deserve a chance to play and play hard.
Will never tell a kid to not play hard.

Last edited:
Your crazy; take a knee or punt on first down.

Second and third team guys deserve a chance to play and play hard.
Will never tell a kid to not play hard.
Then put your 2nd and 3rd team guys in early. If you can score 80 on a team, surely yor 2nd and 3rd teamers can play before the 4th quarter.

Reactions: BigWinners
I would agree
Start subbing at the begining of 2nd half but I don't think you can tell those back ups to not play hard.
One day you'll need the game time experience out of them.

Not sure what actually was going on last night with the game, however Buckingham has around 30 players total (V and JV combined) Not sure how many 2nd and 3rd team players they are able to put on the field.

I would agree
Start subbing at the begining of 2nd half but I don't think you can tell those back ups to not play hard.
One day you'll need the game time experience out of them.
I can't disagree with that.

I was embarrassed by last night's win. It was 35-0 at half time. Scored on the first play of the 3rd quarter to make it 42-0. Another 42 points was scored after that with a supposed running clock. Officials for some reason kept wanting to stop it by the letter of the law. Buckingham is small in numbers but our starting skill players were still running the ball deep into the 4th quarter. Our jv kids, who didn't get to play the night before due to wet field conditions, didn't play until the last drive of the game. And they were allowed to score one for good measure instead of taking a knee. There was no justifiable excuse why my high school, my alma mater, put up 84 points last night. How is it even possible to score 49 points with a running clock. A supposed running clock. The game was highly mis-managed by the officiating crew and the Buckingham coaching staff.

Looks like Buckingham County may be turning it around as they go to 2-5. With a fierce test placed by the powerhouse Cumberland team, it was one of no vice for the mighty Knights. Bluestone, Randolph-Henry, and Prince Edward County (combined record of 6-16)will certainly be tall tests and they are solid, but no match for Buckingham County which looks to win 4 in a row and finish 5-5 in the season. The final game with Prince Edward will be a tough one. Although the Prince Edward defense gave up 87 points against Central, don't let that fool you. They will come to play against the Buckingham offense. Should be a classic.
Do you know how bad you making yourself look on here lol! You must be related to Josh Wallace (the Buckingham coach) yall both douche bags. The correct changes will be made in 3 weeks to bring this program back underneath a real coach dont worry buddy. I knew my Knights were done before the season started so all these weak insults don't hurt me a bit but if Poquoson plays Appomattox it gonna hurt you more when I say I told you so. Have a nice day PERIOD

Man y'all are too politically correct for my taste here on the 2a boards. This ain't the YMCA league. Play to the clock hit double zero.

These are HS kids. There is no reason for a superior team to leave in the starters just to run up the score. It's in poor taste. If the second or third string kids keep scoring, well that's football. But leaving in the skill kids up 60+ points in the fourth quarter? That's silly.
Union was up 38-0 at halftime last night against a hated conference rival.
You know how many snaps the starters got after half time? Zero. None.
The JV kids added a late score but that's just part of the game. Union was up 42-0 at half v. GC, starters sat entire second half. I've seen some Richlands or GC teams that could've won by 100 but the respective staffs would make sure everyone plays and not throw go routes when up like that.

If the JV can continue at same pace and every kid sees the field, then I'm cool with however many points scored (as long as a coach isn't going hurry up no huddle and throwing bombs). But not having the JV play up 70 after the half? Not cool.

These are HS kids. There is no reason for a superior team to leave in the starters just to run up the score. It's in poor taste. If the second or third string kids keep scoring, well that's football. But leaving in the skill kids up 60+ points in the fourth quarter? That's silly.
Union was up 38-0 at halftime last night against a hated conference rival.
You know how many snaps the starters got after half time? Zero. None.
The JV kids added a late score but that's just part of the game. Union was up 42-0 at half v. GC, starters sat entire second half. I've seen some Richlands or GC teams that could've won by 100 but the respective staffs would make sure everyone plays and not throw go routes when up like that.

If the JV can continue at same pace and every kid sees the field, then I'm cool with however many points scored (as long as a coach isn't going hurry up no huddle and throwing bombs). But not having the JV play up 70 after the half? Not cool.
Buckingham has 8th graders on their team for crying out loud. They have what?? 20 players dressing out.

Y'all know my opinion on running up score and the KIDS, and this one sounds like one of the worst displays.

I'll use my school as an example. SD was playing an inferior team, and SD was also without a few starters. Their 1st 4 plays of game were all Res. They were subbing, minus the backup (now/last night's starter) mid way through 2nd quarter. I understand him being in there to get experience as he could be starter again. It was 42-0 half. Jvs played a lot in 2nd half (the 9th graders who had moved up since they didn't have a game) and final was 42-10.

@DanvilleSportsHead I enjoy your posts on 4a board, but I strongly disagree with your assessment here. There is a BIG difference in being a lot better than someone, even doing some things you shouldn't and what sounds like here blatantly embarrassing an inferior opponent with your starters. That is trying to inflict as much damage as possible to someone who can't help it. Remember they are KIDS, they don't deserve that. It also could be dangerous.

Man I always hear about 3rd, 4th string guys. JV kids scoring. Play hard blah blah.
Play hard with your backups. Whatever. But don't lie and say 4th string guys were scoring. A true 4th string guy would mean they're the 33-44th best on the team. I've been to a game almost every Friday night, mostly 1a/2a teams and might've seen over 40 on the sideline by 1 or 2 teams.

Again, I'm not arguing what is running it up, what is classless, what coaches should do etc. I'm just saying stop lying to yourself and us by saying 4th string because that's not true.
I'm also not so sure about all these JV kids obviously playing more than 40 quarters and fans posting about it on here.

Man I always hear about 3rd, 4th string guys. JV kids scoring. Play hard blah blah.
Play hard with your backups. Whatever. But don't lie and say 4th string guys were scoring. A true 4th string guy would mean they're the 33-44th best on the team. I've been to a game almost every Friday night, mostly 1a/2a teams and might've seen over 40 on the sideline by 1 or 2 teams.

Again, I'm not arguing what is running it up, what is classless, what coaches should do etc. I'm just saying stop lying to yourself and us by saying 4th string because that's not true.
I'm also not so sure about all these JV kids obviously playing more than 40 quarters and fans posting about it on here.

I dont know what games you have seen, and not questioning that, but most teams, even 1a and 2a have that many, especially when adding jv players. Yes there is a 40 quarter limit, and if you know the rule about that then you know that 1 play in a quarter amounts to a quarter, but some of teams are very good and beat their opponents and don't play starters all game. Also, using Stuarts Draft as example, their JV game was cancelled, so they have those quarters to play on Varsity.

I know the ones in SD game only, so not making statement on another game, but being in press box we had to ask coaches a lot of kids names because they weren't on varsity roster, they were moved up for this game.

But as far as roster size, I would say that including the JV players who dress for Varsity games, that 6 out of 10 teams have 40+ kids. And that's just in this area, I know that Richlands last year had that many in state semi game and Appomattox had that many

This is just one more reason Wallace needs to go. I dont care how bad a team is, there is no way any team is going to score 80 points unless they are trying to. It is shameful to score more in the second half than the first. I have to agree with many of the other posts that these are kids and that takes precedent over any rivalries or hard feelings. Demoralizing kids is certainly nothing to hang your hat on. This man has embarrassed his team, his school, his community, and himself. I would be surprised if this guy retains his coaching position with what he has done to Buckingham football and i would also be surprised to see him get another head coach job after this fiasco.

Buckingham has 8th graders on their team for crying out loud. They have what?? 20 players dressing out.
A Buckingham guy clearly stated they had their starters in during the fourth quarter and the JV kids, the backups,, only had one drive.
Did you bother to read my post at all?
Guess not.
If a team is subbing liberally and playing conservative with the backups and still scoring, there's nothing you can do. But playing starters into the 4th up 70? Tasteless.

Reactions: obguthr
Y'all know my opinion on running up score and the KIDS, and this one sounds like one of the worst displays.

I'll use my school as an example. SD was playing an inferior team, and SD was also without a few starters. Their 1st 4 plays of game were all Res. They were subbing, minus the backup (now/last night's starter) mid way through 2nd quarter. I understand him being in there to get experience as he could be starter again. It was 42-0 half. Jvs played a lot in 2nd half (the 9th graders who had moved up since they didn't have a game) and final was 42-10.

@DanvilleSportsHead I enjoy your posts on 4a board, but I strongly disagree with your assessment here. There is a BIG difference in being a lot better than someone, even doing some things you shouldn't and what sounds like here blatantly embarrassing an inferior opponent with your starters. That is trying to inflict as much damage as possible to someone who can't help it. Remember they are KIDS, they don't deserve that. It also could be dangerous.

This is an excellent post. In the NFL, if a team can win by 100, have at it. But not HS kids.

Aren't most JV teams finished by this time of the year anyway?

I think BC would curb stomp your Mama if you know what I mean.

I smell frustration. And no, since its BC, they probably wouldn't stomp my mama. She would win 5 out of 10 giving the mighty Knigjts that usual .500 record.

Remember this BC fan. I made a post about my team praising them and only a prediction that they would play for the dance. You gave your opinion that Appo would crush them.....and that's a fair opinion. But, I also get to critique your team. You don't get to decide which 2 teams are talked about. You don't get to claim, "he attacked BC or took a cheap shit." I have an opinion, my critique of BC just like you have yours of Poqouson. You then got angry and tried to make it personal.

Totally out of line and uncalled for. Hopefully the VA Preps admin sees this.

I have been reading other threads and history and I this is certainly uncalled for and a big no no, and being on here a LONG time I can't say I remember bc having any other big issues, but the other poster has had a lot of "questionable behavior."

Just a few examples: saying teams are God awful and things of the sort.

At some point last year he got "into it" with someone and said he would never start something, then when didn't like my opinion on a game of my team, called me a complete idiot and tool. That was starting it. That was all after a contradiction that if a team outgains another by double then they weren't evenly matched, after saying earlier in year a team who got beat in every category and on scoreboard was better.

Now, while all the trash talking isn't my style, I dont see where it's something that shouldn't be allowed. There are certainly occasions where it goes WAY too far, this being one. But remember this whole back and forth started from BC saying Appomattox would beat Poquoson badly, and lucus didn't like that opinion. Both are allowed to have their opinions, and both should be received with respect.

What bothers me is when people don't accept someone having a differing opinion than themselves and it turns to this. In my opinion, if someone is going to act as if they know it all, and their opinion is the only that matters, then they need to have knowledge of situation. You simply make things look bad for yourself when you talk bad about things (who's going to make final 4), and don't even know how the playoffs are set up.

But as for this back and forth, one has shown many times that they will act in this way, and another hasn't. The one who hasn't went far overboard though

Jv plans 10 games just like varsity. They play the same length of regular season games as varsity on the same weeks. Usually play either wed night or thurs night.

Thats not universally true at all. Some JV teams see their season ending two weeks before the varsity. And some games were held on Mondays or Tuesdays. It just depends on the school and schedule.

Reactions: gwb16
Have had good conversations with BK on here for years. Remember some good playoff games between Buckingham and Gretna. Though people do not always agree it has always been respectable. Have noticed alot of new posters that make outlandish comments on here this year. One thing I learned is to watch what you say because you could end up eating your words. Anything can happen on any given Friday night. Think most that have been on here for awhile know and understand this.

Reactions: Gunz41
Have had good conversations with BK on here for years. Remember some good playoff games between Buckingham and Gretna. Though people do not always agree it has always been respectable. Have noticed alot of new posters that make outlandish comments on here this year. One thing I learned is to watch what you say because you could end up eating your words. Anything can happen on any given Friday night. Think most that have been on here for awhile know and understand this.

It's not just new posters though, there are quite a few seasoned vets doing same thing

Reactions: gwb16
But remember this whole back and forth started from BC saying Appomattox would beat Poquoson badly, and lucus didn't like that opinion.

The above is partially true and partially false. The opinion given that Appo would beat Poqouson was respected and I AGREED then and still do. But, with BC giving that opinion and critique, I also get to give an opinion of Poqouson vs BC. After all, my post wasn't about Appo. It was about Poqouson and he brought Appo into the mix (valid to do by the way.) But, I simply brought BC into the mix and stand by the opinion that Poqouson would absolutely smash them worse than Appo would beat Poqouson. And from this point.....that's when he made it personal.

Again, I respect the opinion of Appo beating Poqouson. I think Appo beats any AA team and heck no, I don't like the opinion of Appo beating Poqouson, but I respect it. But, I also have an opinion of Poqouson vs BC.

Why get so defensive tho? The Region A and B people seem to write off Region D completely, but no one from SWVA throws a fit. Just let it go, meditate. Find your mantra lolol

Why get so defensive tho? The Region A and B people seem to write off Region D completely, but no one from SWVA throws a fit. Just let it go, meditate. Find your mantra lolol

Great post, but better suited with intentions for BC guy. As for meditation, if one wanted to do that, then its cool. This is a message board though, not a meditation board. Thoughts and opinions are great things, not "thrown fits." Having a response to ones opinion and dialogue are great things, not "being defensive." Lastly, no need to "find a matra." This isn't a video game, its a message board. Be yourself and give your opinions is my take, just like you recently just gave yours in your last post.

Last edited:
Totally out of line and uncalled for. Hopefully the VA Preps admin sees this.
Oh but him saying a team being doggy raped is not out of line? Don't care who sees it if you notice I posted it. All I said was Poquoson wouldn't beat Appomattox how was I so out of line from the get go? I'm not frustrated at all but when you get insulted for an honest opinion you fight fire with fire. He said my kids would get "doggy raped" that's appropriate?

Oh but him saying a team being doggy raped is not out of line? Don't care who sees it if you notice I posted it. All I said was Poquoson wouldn't beat Appomattox how was I so out of line from the get go? I'm not frustrated at all but when you get insulted for an honest opinion you fight fire with fire. He said my kids would get "doggy raped" that's appropriate?
Didn't see that on here but wrong is wrong. If he said that then you should have reported him no questions asked. We don't make personal attacks on here. That's a no no.

I have been reading other threads and history and I this is certainly uncalled for and a big no no, and being on here a LONG time I can't say I remember bc having any other big issues, but the other poster has had a lot of "questionable behavior."

Just a few examples: saying teams are God awful and things of the sort.

At some point last year he got "into it" with someone and said he would never start something, then when didn't like my opinion on a game of my team, called me a complete idiot and tool. That was starting it. That was all after a contradiction that if a team outgains another by double then they weren't evenly matched, after saying earlier in year a team who got beat in every category and on scoreboard was better.

Now, while all the trash talking isn't my style, I dont see where it's something that shouldn't be allowed. There are certainly occasions where it goes WAY too far, this being one. But remember this whole back and forth started from BC saying Appomattox would beat Poquoson badly, and lucus didn't like that opinion. Both are allowed to have their opinions, and both should be received with respect.

What bothers me is when people don't accept someone having a differing opinion than themselves and it turns to this. In my opinion, if someone is going to act as if they know it all, and their opinion is the only that matters, then they need to have knowledge of situation. You simply make things look bad for yourself when you talk bad about things (who's going to make final 4), and don't even know how the playoffs are set up.

But as for this back and forth, one has shown many times that they will act in this way, and another hasn't. The one who hasn't went far overboard though
I didn't even say Appomattox would beat Poquoson badly all I said was Poquoson wouldn't beat Appomattox period. What was so wrong about that? Especially when he said the same thing lol!. I said Appomattox would manhandle Goochland and non of you guys got bent out of shape. That's the difference between weak people.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT