ADVERTISEMENT

Now that we have schedules how will the Seminole play out?

Wow , no respect for LCA I like it ! Those recruiting , using religion as a money hoarder school . The more and more we go along , I like you more and more Blacknight ! . You got a good man down there in Oneman also, you ever guidance , look him up , he is top notch.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Heritage (10-0)
Amherst (7-3)
JF (6-4) could be better
Brookville (6-4)
Glass (6-4)
LCA (3-7)
Rustburg (3-7)
Liberty (1-9)

I thought that I'd put records in just for fun, but we all know that anything can happen in the seminole on any given week. I know 10-0 might be a stretch for Heritage, but I'm pretty high on them this year.

Well, it looks like the one thing we all agree about is that Rustburg has a lot of work ahead to prove us wrong.

Reactions: newleather
Everyone seems to be ranking Amherst pretty highly. I may be recalling it incorrectly, but I seem to remember someone saying Amherst graduated 28 seniors last year. If true, even if a majority of those seniors weren't starters, that is A LOT of senior leadership to replace, and would lead one to think there would be at least a bit of a drop-off.

Are the Lancers simply loaded with experience coming back, or are there other reasons they're being highly regarded by so many? Do they have so-called skill position players back, a majority of their O line back, certain defensive layers (line, 'backers, backfield) back, etc.? What is driving the optimism?

I ask purely out of ignorance and not being familiar with their program and wanting to learn. Thanks!

The lancers will be in for a tough season this go around. To my knowledge they return the QB. RB is a big question trying to replace Page and Woodfolk. I heard they had a transfer from heritage. They have a up and comer in Frank Ross he needs to stay in the weight room all summer so he can withstand the brutal Seminole. The offense line loses alot but they will be anchored by Braxton and Tinsley who are very athletic for their size. Wr they have a couple returners but no real down the field weapons. The biggest ? Is the LB's and dB's. That's where they lost the most. They have a strong young LB that played as a soph last year filling in for Tyree some last year. If he has been working on his lateral movement this summer he will be hard to beat. It's hard to replace a Spencer who made so many plays for the team the last few years. They should make the playoffs at 5-5 this year.

Last edited:
The lancers will be in for a tough season this go around. To my knowledge they return the QB. RB is a big question trying to replace Page and Woodfolk. I heard they had a transfer from heritage. They have a up and comer in Frank Ross he needs to stay in the weight room all summer so he can withstand the brutal Seminole. The offense line loses alot but they will be anchored by Braxton and finally who are very athletic for their size. Wr they have a couple returners but no real down the field weapons. The biggest ? Is the LB's and dB's. That's where they lost the most. They have a strong young LB that played as a soph last year filling in for Tyree some last year. If he has been working on his lateral movement this summer he will be hard to beat. It's hard to replace a Spencer who made so many plays for the team the last few years. They should make the playoffs at 5-5 this year.
I think you are right Mark. I'm pretty sure Wikki said they graduated 28. We could be mistaken in our picks. But remember, we are talking about the Seminole District Standings, not 4a Region D standings.

The lancers will be in for a tough season this go around. To my knowledge they return the QB. RB is a big question trying to replace Page and Woodfolk. I heard they had a transfer from heritage. They have a up and comer in Frank Ross he needs to stay in the weight room all summer so he can withstand the brutal Seminole. The offense line loses alot but they will be anchored by Braxton and Tinsley who are very athletic for their size. Wr they have a couple returners but no real down the field weapons. The biggest ? Is the LB's and dB's. That's where they lost the most. They have a strong young LB that played as a soph last year filling in for Tyree some last year. If he has been working on his lateral movement this summer he will be hard to beat. It's hard to replace a Spencer who made so many plays for the team the last few years. They should make the playoffs at 5-5 this year.

What do you think are the differences are between the inexperienced Amherst team of 2015 and this one coming up? I know that the playmakers from last years team were juniors, yet they beat everyone in the Seminole except for an explosive Jefferson Forest team. I did not have the opportunity to see Amherst last season, but they seem like they have a program where there is continuity with the coaching staff and they are always developing good football players. It could be that the rest of the Seminole will be better than teams in the recent past(with the exception of Rustburg and Liberty) and will challenge them more than in seasons past. But Hey, we will see once the season starts. Can't wait to see all the teams from the Seminole battle it out!

One difference is Page, Tinsley, Spencer and co. were already on varsity as freshman and sophomores. They took their lumps as young bucks. The projected starter at RB didn't get the game speed exposer that he should had as a soph. From the games I saw early on in JV last year he should have been on varsity from the start. He might have sat, but he would have gained valuable varsity experience on the clean Jersey crew. He did get bumped up towards the end. JF and heritage should battle out at the end of the season for the district championship. Heritage has a stud at rb, and a two headed monster at qb from what I've been told Jf started a stable of sophs. That's stayed in almost every game they played last year. They even gave Amherst a scare last year. Once woody gets all the riff raff off the team, which I think he did last year I think they will be good. It takes balls to kick some of your starters off the team! Liberty has good coaching they just miss those pieces they had 10+ years ago. Brookville with the Qb will be a tough win. They Wr's will mostly be new. And then there is LCA you never know what or who they might have in their back pocket. Good coaching, but who knows what athletes they might seem through the system. As far as retaining coaches it's kinda hard to replace a coach when he is a buddy of yours. As far as that goes bring back Gouldthorp. You gotta have balls to fire Crouch! Lol. If Goldy wasnt retired I think things would be a lil different round hogtown and Amherst.

Last edited:
Well, it looks like the one thing we all agree about is that Rustburg has a lot of work ahead to prove us wrong.
I have said for years that Rustburg would be a better fit in the Dogwood district. They have built in rivalry games with Appo and AltaVista, and scrimmage William Campbell every year. They are right off 29 and travel would be easy to the southern teams. They are a very low 3a and every game would be competitive. They don't have that luxury in the Seminole. Most weeks they are outmatched and outmanned. Last season was great for them, but they had a lot of seniors. Nelson County is way off the beaten path, and Rustburg would be a perfect fit, and they could play Heritage and Brookville as ood games.

I have said for years that Rustburg would be a better fit in the Dogwood district. They have built in rivalry games with Appo and AltaVista, and scrimmage William Campbell every year. They are right off 29 and travel would be easy to the southern teams. They are a very low 3a and every game would be competitive. They don't have that luxury in the Seminole. Most weeks they are outmatched and outmanned. Last season was great for them, but they had a lot of seniors. Nelson County is way off the beaten path, and Rustburg would be a perfect fit, and they could play Heritage and Brookville as ood games.
Well said and very logical. I've said since the Western Valley District disbanded in 2013 to let Halifax County (easily accessible down 501) and GW Danville (easily accessible trip down 29) join the Seminole and Franklin County join one of the Roanoke districts. Those schools have no business playing in the Piedmont. Rustburg to the Dogwood would definitely make a lot of sense.

I totally agree. Playing the Dogwood schedule would be a much better fit for the Devils. They do not have the depth to compete with the much larger schools every year. I would much rather see them play Gretna or Dan River than Amherst or JF. In fact, I have them picked to finish about 3-7....if they were in the Dogwood I would think 5-5 would be the mark. Not a huge jump, but a lot more competitive than losing by double digits in district games.

Well said and very logical. I've said since the Western Valley District disbanded in 2013 to let Halifax County (easily accessible down 501) and GW Danville (easily accessible trip down 29) join the Seminole and Franklin County join one of the Roanoke districts. Those schools have no business playing in the Piedmont. Rustburg to the Dogwood would definitely make a lot of sense.

For Halifax and GW, it could be a travel time and money thing. If they were in the Seminole they would have to travel more than an hour for away games. The competition would fit and I would love to see them, especially GW in the Seminole.

You are right. Franklin County needs to be in the Blue Ridge or the River Ridge district.

@DanvilleSportsHead , just curious, what has you sold on Jefferson Forest?
Lost to 2x state champ MV by 1
They took 3a runner up SR and a very good Amherst team (pre-Turner injury) down to the wire.
They BEAT Heritage
Lost by 1 to a very good Rustburg team
Lost to a good Brookville team by 1.
Glass and Liberty were growing pain loses IMO

They lost what 21 starters from the state semi final team and started a lot of sophomores and juniors last year.. They pretty much were playing with a JV team. They will be back this year, faster and stronger. The Seminole will make a man outta ya! And yesssir DP, they have Bob Christmas and an improved defense. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it but look out for JF this year!

Can't so much dismiss their two "bad" losses just because they were to lesser teams, though.

Just for fun, let's look at JF's losses and then check out the quality of wins of those teams.

Patrick Henry - 1 win over a team with 8+ wins (Blacksburg)
Magna Vista - 1 win over a team with 8+ wins (Martinsville)
Staunton River - 4 wins over a team with 8+ wins (LB, Magna Vista, Rustburg, Hopewell)
Rustburg - 4 wins over a team with 8+ wins (Division 1 Altavista, Brookville, Heritage, Spotswood)
Amherst - 3 wins over a team with 8+ wins (Salem, Heritage, Rustburg)
EC Glass - 0 wins over a team with 8+ wins
Liberty - 0 wins over a team with 8+ wins
Brookville - 2 wins over a team with 8+ wins (Albemarle, Amherst)

Frankly, I feel I'm making a concession at 8 wins because 8 isn't a particularly great win total to me. The win totals drop by 33% if you remove 8 win teams.

Half of those losses came to teams who between them racked up 2 victories against 8+ win opponents. The other half, well, opinions may vary (honestly I'd consider Amherst the best team of all 8 and maybe Brookville second, SR and Rustburg are deceiving).

Point being, I think their schedule looks like it had more teeth than it really did. I still don't think they have any sort of replacement for their offenses from 2014-2015 (their offensive point total dove almost 400 points this past season!) and they haven't really seemed to play D since Christmas returned, they simply banked on being able to outscore the opposition.

Rank 1-8 by overall record: (listed below alphabetically)

Amherst
Brookville
EC Glass
Heritage
Jefferson Forest
Liberty
LCA
Rustburg
I think
Heritage
Amherst
Jefferson Forrest
EC Glass
Brookvile
LCA
Rustburg
Liberty
I agree with this order more than the others. Amherst lost lots of skilled players but the QB is back. I think Heritage will be the team to beat. Amherst will not be a pushover either

Wow , no respect for LCA I like it ! Those recruiting , using religion as a money hoarder school . The more and more we go along , I like you more and more Blacknight ! . You got a good man down there in Oneman also, you ever guidance , look him up , he is top notch.
It's not the lack of respect for LCA, it is their opinion. Maybe they lost a lot of players. This year will be the real test for them playing a full season in the district.

Reactions: aimhighveteran
JF' offense without Navy Jones and Cam Miller-Trent is a slow paced offense that does not score as quickly as the 2014-2015 teams. Their offense is centered around gaining three or four yards per play, driving the ball down field and running down the clock. They are very good at running the ball. Rising Junior Marvin Blake and Rising Sophomore Keenan Cupit are a great 1-2 punch along with the other running backs on that roster.

That strategy is not effective when the defense gives up big plays. Against EC Glass Blake was very successful running the ball but he was out for the rest of the game with injury. But the defense gave up a 20 yard TD run after a turnover, a 75 yard TD run and an 80 yard hook and ladder play.

I watched them play Heritage last year and they played very good defense against the run and the pass and only gave up 12 points. If they just play better defense they will win games.

Bob Christmas is an excellent coach and JF will be more experienced and ready to shock some people this year.

Rank 1-8 by overall record: (listed below alphabetically)

Amherst
Brookville
EC Glass
Heritage
Jefferson Forest
Liberty
LCA
Rustburg
I hope you are correct Mike but don't think they will finish first. Heritage will be the team this year. Not sure how good JF or Brookville will be either. I know Amherst has the toughest schedule of all of them. We have Salem and GW

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I also heard it may be a tough year but not sure if I believe in that persons opinion

Reactions: MrSir#5
I hope you are correct Mike but don't think they will finish first. Heritage will be the team this year. Not sure how good JF or Brookville will be either. I know Amherst has the toughest schedule of all of them. We have Salem and GW
I wasn't ranking the teams myself, I just posed the question and put the teams in alphabetical order. I do think Heritage will be the frontrunner with a good battle for runner-up among Amherst, Brookville, EC Glass, and Jefferson Forest. The bottom third will likely be LCA, Rustburg, and Liberty.

Lost to 2x state champ MV by 1
They took 3a runner up SR and a very good Amherst team (pre-Turner injury) down to the wire.
They BEAT Heritage
Lost by 1 to a very good Rustburg team
Lost to a good Brookville team by 1.
Glass and Liberty were growing pain loses IMO

They lost what 21 starters from the state semi final team and started a lot of sophomores and juniors last year.. They pretty much were playing with a JV team. They will be back this year, faster and stronger. The Seminole will make a man outta ya! And yesssir DP, they have Bob Christmas and an improved defense. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it but look out for JF this year!
I don't know how improved their defense will be with a new defensive coordinator.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I know it was just 7 on 7 but Glass won the Cville 7on 7 championship by beating Charlottesville who has their share of quality playmakers. Glass has some very good skill guys. I'm big on RB/LB Patterson. He's a game changer.

Yeah, the 7 on 7 doesn't say too much, especially since Charlottesville runs a triple option. The game will definitely be won/lost up front. I can't wait to see the matchup between RB Folley and Glass LB Thomas Patterson.

Patterson is a great player with a great attitude who lets his play on the field do the talking. He played RB after the original starter was injured for the season. He should do very well in his second year at the position. He is a heck of a linebacker though.

Glass quarterback DreSean Kendrick made some great plays with his feet in the last 3 games at QB last year. Expect him to do more in the air. He will have plenty of weapons to work with.

I'm anticipating 2 6'2"+ wide receivers on the outside including the one who started at quarterback for the first 7 games. He looked good at WR and on defense in the last 3 games last year. The receivers in the slot positions will be fast especially senior Tre Alexander who is a burner. If the can put the ball in his hands this year, he will make some huge plays for the Hilltoppers.

Either way the Offensive and defensive lines will have to be strong and make plays to increase EC Glass' chances to get wins against quality opponents this year.

JF' offense without Navy Jones and Cam Miller-Trent is a slow paced offense that does not score as quickly as the 2014-2015 teams. Their offense is centered around gaining three or four yards per play, driving the ball down field and running down the clock. They are very good at running the ball. Rising Junior Marvin Blake and Rising Sophomore Keenan Cupit are a great 1-2 punch along with the other running backs on that roster.

That strategy is not effective when the defense gives up big plays. Against EC Glass Blake was very successful running the ball but he was out for the rest of the game with injury. But the defense gave up a 20 yard TD run after a turnover, a 75 yard TD run and an 80 yard hook and ladder play.

I watched them play Heritage last year and they played very good defense against the run and the pass and only gave up 12 points. If they just play better defense they will win games.

Bob Christmas is an excellent coach and JF will be more experienced and ready to shock some people this year.
Aka the same strategy Salem has done for years. Make smart and methodical plays and eat up clock. Look at how well it has worked for them.

Reactions: wikki and lyhsports
Yeah, the 7 on 7 doesn't say too much, especially since Charlottesville runs a triple option. The game will definitely be won/lost up front. I can't wait to see the matchup between RB Folley and Glass LB Thomas Patterson.

Patterson is a great player with a great attitude who lets his play on the field do the talking. He played RB after the original starter was injured for the season. He should do very well in his second year at the position. He is a heck of a linebacker though.

Glass quarterback DreSean Kendrick made some great plays with his feet in the last 3 games at QB last year. Expect him to do more in the air. He will have plenty of weapons to work with.

I'm anticipating 2 6'2"+ wide receivers on the outside including the one who started at quarterback for the first 7 games. He looked good at WR and on defense in the last 3 games last year. The receivers in the slot positions will be fast especially senior Tre Alexander who is a burner. If the can put the ball in his hands this year, he will make some huge plays for the Hilltoppers.

Either way the Offensive and defensive lines will have to be strong and make plays to increase EC Glass' chances to get wins against quality opponents this year.
Is the QB any relation to Andre Kendrick from the '95 runner-up squad?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT