ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating and VHSL Seasons

Feb 17, 2003
Not to long ago I voiced my opinion on officiating this year letting a lot of rough play happen (especially away from the ball). The past three games I have watched has been officiated extremely well. So I wanted to give credit where credit was due. Whistles were blown early in the game (including several fouls away from the ball) and it set the tone for the rest of the game. I will note... one look at the officiating crews in all 3 games and I thought to myself these crews will probably do pretty good.

I know this would probably turn into a complete mess but it would be pretty cool if school administration (using coaches input) could give a quick rating and comments on each official to either praise them or point out things they could do better. But coaches all seem to have different interpretations of how a game should be called so again this would probably just be a mess.

Officials will never be perfect and with the VHSL having to combine girls and boys seasons together in the winter to make "everything right in the eyes of the law"... it has stretched the officials thin... throwing inexperienced officials into the fire to quickly. The VHSL had to cater to just a few people due to results of some court rulings against the VHSL. This resulted in cramming both gender sports into the same season. Not only is basketball officiating taking a hit but also facility usage in schools that have both gender sports being played in the same season attempting to share one gym, tennis courts, etc. In some sports it just makes good sense to play the genders in different seasons. It would be hard to ever convince the VHSL to do it though since our courts of law burned them for having genders played in different seasons.

Without a doubt basketball and tennis should be played in different seasons due to facility usage, allowing the same coach to coach both genders, less strain on officiating in basketball, etc. But how could we ever convince the VHSL to change it back after the court of law sees differently?

Article on switching of girls VHSL sports seasons

Girl's basketball should be played in winter, same as boys.

As for fouls away from ball, I hate it when they're called , (unless it's blatant). Wishy washy fouls away from ball should not be called.

I once had a referee tell me that "good referees don't call three seconds". Everyone has their own opinion.

This post was edited on 1/30 3:38 PM by ShenandoahIndian

I have only seen 3 seconds called once this year, and that was in a 38 point blow-out that refs were trying to keep margin from exceeding 50.

Very few refs call it these days. I can recall when it got called most every game.

We all have seen "touch fouls" called and then a player gets knocked into the 2nd row of bleachers, and no foul gets called.

I remember once a player got hit really hard, blood on floor, player on floor, but no foul was called.

During the injury TO, I asked the ref: "How dam hard does a player have to get hit before a foul is called " ?

I think we've all seen the same things Hampton. They do have a hard job... getting some kind of consistency is nice. I thought the referee in the article explained how things should be called. Applying it from paper to the basketball floor is the hard part. There are definitely some teams that also don't coach the way the coach in the article states.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT