ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, Officials…

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
What are you guys and gals watching for this year? Where will the coaches be confused about calls. What will you pay special attention to, to try to protect the kids?

How much trouble are you going to have having full crews throughout the season?

2022 NFHS Points of Emphasis are sportsmanship (conduct of coaches and players specifically), targeting / defenseless players, and legal uniforms / equipment (with most prominent issue being the knees covered by pants/pads… yes, fashion police).

I know our association is putting a major focus on the new rule change with passers able to legally ground the ball outside the free blocking zone now. Another big focus is working on effective communication with head coaches, or knowing how to diffuse or stop conversations if it’s being taken too far.

Also, our association along with a few others across the state will be experimenting with moving the Umpire position into the offensive backfield (like a Center Judge), as is done in NCAA and NFL. A lot more movement for the U in this position so it may not be for all shapes and sizes of traditional Umpires, but with the right individual in the position it has a ton of upside.

Across the state, officials associations are requiring schools to move a certain number of games to Thursdays due to a lack of officials on the roster. Hopefully most games in our area will still have full 7-person crews, but you may see more Thursday games than you’re used to over the next few seasons while associations still recover from the COVID-related retirements and non-returners from the last 2 years.

Last edited:
VA Official hit is out of the park with his post. Everything he said is right.

One of the things that has some of us worried might turn out to be nothing, but we'll see. It's about allowing the ball to be grounded outside the free blocking zone.

The NCAA rule allows this exception only for the player who receives the snap. If there's a halfback pass or a trick play where some other player is going to throw a forward pass, and he dumps it, there is no tackle box rule and it could be intentional grounding 4 inches from the sideline.

The NFHS doesn't offer this, so in theory, a tailback takes a toss and is heading to the sideline and sees he's going to take a loss, he could simply throw the ball forward for an incomplete pass. This would be very risky because it would be IG if the ball doesn't make it to the line of scrimmage, plus there's a good chance the pass would be hurried and could be batted and intercepted. But the rule, as stated, allows for it.

The deterrent is that there's a 95 percent chance that there are ineligibles downfield. If the ball doesn't make the line, it's IG but if it does, then ineliibles downfield come into the equation. That's one of the stipulations that makes it hard to officiate.

Lots of stuff to keep up with on the football field. The average fan has no clue how much goes on with officials working a game.
I know. You guys have to preplan which team you are going to be sure wins the game and how many penalties you are going to call on each team. And oh yeah, which players and coaches you are going to eject. I almost forgot, how many penalties you are going to call that you just make up rules as the game goes along? That is a busy schedule.

You do realize that I’m being totally facetious, don’t you?

I’m back in the press box for the first time after a two year hiatus. I’m excited to be involved once again. I missed being around the gang that helps be sure the kids can play the game we all love.

I hope all of you guys have the best season of your careers.

Reactions: VAOfficial
I know. You guys have to preplan which team you are going to be sure wins the game and how many penalties you are going to call on each team. And oh yeah, which players and coaches you are going to eject. I almost forgot, how many penalties you are going to call that you just make up rules as the game goes along? That is a busy schedule.

You do realize that I’m being totally facetious, don’t you?

I’m back in the press box for the first time after a two year hiatus. I’m excited to be involved once again. I missed being around the gang that helps be sure the kids can play the game we all love.

I hope all of you guys have the best season of your careers.
I only referee basketball. Unreal how we can plan out how the game is going to end, Down to who is going to take the game winning shot from Steph Curry range. If I could do that scenario I could hit the lottery everyday and not have to worry about putting on a VHSL shirt anymore.

I only referee basketball. Unreal how we can plan out how the game is going to end, Down to who is going to take the game winning shot from Steph Curry range. If I could do that scenario I could hit the lottery everyday and not have to worry about putting on a VHSL shirt anymore.
LOL, especially after you have basically been blind the entire rest of the game.

And then you have what I think is one of White Hats pet peeves, fans screaming about a missed call when they are applying a NCAA or NFL rule to a High School game. Like, ” hey dumb ass, that ball was uncatchable!”

On a serious note, I hope you have been doing well. Every year I think my life will slow down and I can travel, as I would like to ride out and take you to lunch. And every year I just seem to get busier. But God willing, April of 2024 when I turn 70, that’s it. No matter what. Hopefully you will still have a whistle around your neck then, and I can come to one of your games.

Reactions: bowlingref
LOL, especially after you have basically been blind the entire rest of the game.

And then you have what I think is one of White Hats pet peeves, fans screaming about a missed call when they are applying a NCAA or NFL rule to a High School game. Like, ” hey dumb ass, that ball was uncatchable!”

On a serious note, I hope you have been doing well. Every year I think my life will slow down and I can travel, as I would like to ride out and take you to lunch. And every year I just seem to get busier. But God willing, April of 2024 when I turn 70, that’s it. No matter what. Hopefully you will still have a whistle around your neck then, and I can come to one of your games.
I will be 70 in two weeks. I reffed one game last year and crew was another guy that is 77. The lady in the crew is 75. One of the coaches said we were his Geriatric crew for the evening.

Reactions: oldfool2
One game I worked year the visiting team lost by 2 points. The coach was whiffed and thought we were responsible for his team losing. Had the losing team with the whiffed coach later in the week. The coach apologized to me for his comments. When he looked at the score book. They had gone 2 for 14 from the free throw line and lost by 2 points.

One game I worked year the visiting team lost by 2 points. The coach was whiffed and thought we were responsible for his team losing. Had the losing team with the whiffed coach later in the week. The coach apologized to me for his comments. When he looked at the score book. They had gone 2 for 14 from the free throw line and lost by 2 points.
I will be 70 in two weeks. I reffed one game last year and crew was another guy that is 77. The lady in the crew is 75. One of the coaches said we were his Geriatric crew for the evening.
Did they refer to you as “pops” and “granny”. LOL
I tell you what, if you can keep up to with the game at even the JV level, you are in darn good shape.

My buddy was a coach for a number of years, and nothing made him madder than to lose like that. Especially late when the only chance the other team had was to foul and hope to get the rebound and convert it. And then did.

I remember a game years ago when UVA was up by 10 over Miami with :35 to go. Miami tied it on a buzzer beater and went on the win in OT. Needless to say, missed foul shots was the primary result.

Did they refer to you as “pops” and “granny”. LOL
I tell you what, if you can keep up to with the game at even the JV level, you are in darn good shape.
Getting harder to keep up every year. No Pops deal yet. Lots of other names though. One fan called me a piece of Crap last year. Only a different word was used.

Getting harder to keep up every year. No Pops deal yet. Lots of other names though. One fan called me a piece of Crap last year. Only a different word was used.
LOL, and that might have been one of the nicer things that you were called!!! Thick skin, my friend, thick skin.

Well gang, did anyone experience any weird or unusual situations this past week?

We had a minor one of no consequence here at Dinwiddie.
With Dinwiddie up 55-0, GW had gotten down to within striking distance. As the running clock ran down to zero, the signal came that the game was over, the cannon fired, the siren blared, the players celebrated and made their way to the sidelines. The problem was that GW used their final time out to stop the clock with two seconds left.
After a few minutes of confusion, the teams assembled back on the field and GW made a field goal to end the game at 55-3. No harm no foul.

How about your games? Any issues with the rule changes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT