ADVERTISEMENT

Out of District Games to Watch

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
October is ending, which means tryouts are starting, which means the high school basketball season is almost here! Be sure to at least score-watch these games, because they could have big implications in possible playoff games at the end of the year. Notice these games are stricly between two 4A schools. So without further ado...

#19 Dinwiddie @ #2 Monacan, 11/28/16, 7:15pm
Rematch anyone? These two teams are in the same conference, and the last time they met was in the conference championship last year, a nail-biter where Monacan emerged 61-59, claiming Dinwiddie as one of it's many victims on it's miraculous run to the state title last year. Monacan has the potential to be every bit as good as last year, where Dinwiddie lost some key seniors.

Prediction: Monacan 71-58

#11 Heritage-Newport News @ #3 George Washington-Danville, 12/2/16 at 7:00pm
Another great rematch of last years playoffs. GW advanced past the Hurricanes 67-62 last year in the state quarterfinals. Heritage lost their top player in Jermaine Marrow, while the Eagles return almost everyone. The rankings might show a good game, but I see the Eagles by a decent amount in this one.

Prediction: George Washington 67-56

#6 Eastern View @ #22 Courtland, 12/2/16 at 6:45pm
Another conference clash, but this one might not be a great one. Courtland lost Jabari Allen, and even though Eastern View lost Musah Sackor, they still have lots of talent. Second year coach Patrick Thornhill is primed and ready to lead his team to another great season.

Prediction: Eastern View 72-55

#15 John Handley @ #14 Charlottesville, 12/2/16 at 7:30pm
The last time these teams met, it was a very different circumstance. Top seeded and one loss Charlottesville pounded the fourth seeded judges 75-56 in the conference 23 semifinals in 2015. Much has changed since then. Charlottesville is coming off another succsesful season, but after finishing 24-2 in 2015 their loss in the 2016 conference semifinals just wasn't enough. Handley has done a superb job of rebuilding, they finished last year with a 14-8 record and made it to the conference championship. Handley returns a strong nucleus of mostly sophomores and juniors. Charlottesville is looking to re-establish itself as one of the top programs in 4A. Should be a good one.

Prediction: Charlottesville 67-61

#8 William Fleming vs. #10 EC Glass, 12/17/16 at 8:00pm
When these two teams meet, it's always a good one. Fleming prevailed last year 61-56. The Colonials have a strong program, but they lost some key seniors, where EC Glass returns Oliver Gilbert and most of their bench. This should still be a good game, though. Both teams look to improve on their regional tournament appearances.

Prediction: EC Glass 60-55

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Great job on the write ups. I honestly thought GW was playing the Heritage Pioneers but I'm glad they're playing Heritage NN. Should be a very good season in 4a basketball. Might be the strongest division from top to bottom in the state.

What about William Fleming? I don't know much about them this year. I saw William Byrd play a few times this summer and they were in good shape, but I just don't know about Fleming. I know they lost a few seniors this year, but will they still be good?

What about William Fleming? I don't know much about them this year. I saw William Byrd play a few times this summer and they were in good shape, but I just don't know about Fleming. I know they lost a few seniors this year, but will they still be good?
I haven't seen them as of yet

October is ending, which means tryouts are starting, which means the high school basketball season is almost here! Be sure to at least score-watch these games, because they could have big implications in possible playoff games at the end of the year. Notice these games are stricly between two 4A schools. So without further ado...

#19 Dinwiddie @ #2 Monacan, 11/28/16, 7:15pm
Rematch anyone? These two teams are in the same conference, and the last time they met was in the conference championship last year, a nail-biter where Monacan emerged 61-59, claiming Dinwiddie as one of it's many victims on it's miraculous run to the state title last year. Monacan has the potential to be every bit as good as last year, where Dinwiddie lost some key seniors.

Prediction: Monacan 71-58

#11 Heritage-Newport News @ #3 George Washington-Danville, 12/2/16 at 7:00pm
Another great rematch of last years playoffs. GW advanced past the Hurricanes 67-62 last year in the state quarterfinals. Heritage lost their top player in Jermaine Marrow, while the Eagles return almost everyone. The rankings might show a good game, but I see the Eagles by a decent amount in this one.

Prediction: George Washington 67-56

#6 Eastern View @ #22 Courtland, 12/2/16 at 6:45pm
Another conference clash, but this one might not be a great one. Courtland lost Jabari Allen, and even though Eastern View lost Musah Sackor, they still have lots of talent. Second year coach Patrick Thornhill is primed and ready to lead his team to another great season.

Prediction: Eastern View 72-55

#15 John Handley @ #14 Charlottesville, 12/2/16 at 7:30pm
The last time these teams met, it was a very different circumstance. Top seeded and one loss Charlottesville pounded the fourth seeded judges 75-56 in the conference 23 semifinals in 2015. Much has changed since then. Charlottesville is coming off another succsesful season, but after finishing 24-2 in 2015 their loss in the 2016 conference semifinals just wasn't enough. Handley has done a superb job of rebuilding, they finished last year with a 14-8 record and made it to the conference championship. Handley returns a strong nucleus of mostly sophomores and juniors. Charlottesville is looking to re-establish itself as one of the top programs in 4A. Should be a good one.

Prediction: Charlottesville 67-61

#8 William Fleming vs. #10 EC Glass, 12/17/16 at 8:00pm
When these two teams meet, it's always a good one. Fleming prevailed last year 61-56. The Colonials have a strong program, but they lost some key seniors, where EC Glass returns Oliver Gilbert and most of their bench. This should still be a good game, though. Both teams look to improve on their regional tournament appearances.

Prediction: EC Glass 60-55
....and on Dec. 10th Heritage-NN comes to Eastern View for a game. Unusual for teams this far apart to play a regular season game against each other.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT