ADVERTISEMENT

Patriot HS hires Sean Finnerty has new HC

He's been at Liberty for 7 years and done a solid job. Personally, I think Battlefield got the better hire, but Finnerty will be fine at Patriot. Like Otnorot said, Girolmo was the OC under Finnerty for a few years. If I remember correctly, that was the last time Liberty had a really explosive offense and went to the state semis. Finnerty will certainly have the athletes to run the spread, though, so things should go well for him.

Hopefully he brings in some enthusiasm and breaths some life into the program. Kids are a little down on the program right now though. Which is kinda odd because they have had pretty good success the last few years. It will be interesting to see who he brings in with him for staff positions.

They will never really be short on athletes, just a matter of making those athletes better football players.

IMO he is an average coach. The wins appeared to decline the longer he was at Liberty. I’m sure Liberty will be happy depends on who they hire.

IMO he is an average coach. The wins appeared to decline the longer he was at Liberty. I’m sure Liberty will be happy depends on who they hire.

I looked at his tenure there after they announced the hire. It sure looked like he was better there earlier in his tenure. Kids at Patriot seem to be excited. But that also tells you what they thought the last two years.

Reactions: OCBoy
I looked at his tenure there after they announced the hire. It sure looked like he was better there earlier in his tenure. Kids at Patriot seem to be excited. But that also tells you what they thought the last two years.
The Buzzo affect wore off

Reactions: Rev_Real
Best of luck to coach Finnerty at Patriot. Not sure if the negative comments about him are necessary - but I guess it comes with the territory.

More importantly. Are they true?

I doubt a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks posting on message boards know the inner workings of the Liberty football program under coach Finnerty. It's easy to sit in the stands and call a coach out... It's hard to dedicate your life to the grind that is being a high school football coach - especially a head coach. I've said it before on here - if you know how to do things better then put down the keyboard and pick up a whistle and go coach. If you decide to stick with the keyboard - then why post anything negatively about any of these coaches that pour so much into helping mold young men? It's easy to criticize others for perceived shortcomings - but at the end of the day no one has any real insight into any of these programs - except for maybe a few coaches who post on here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though and I guess this board provides an avenue to express those opinions. I realize coaches don't pay any attention to these boards and even if they do - put zero stock in what any of us have to say. I don't think anyone on here though would like it if random people - who know nothing about how you go about doing your job - had a platform to criticize how you do your job.

But hey - I guess those guys signed up for it right? I guess it comes with that huge pay check those guys get for the countless hours they invest in student-athletes.

Reactions: aw19752
I doubt a bunch of arm chair quarterbacks posting on message boards know the inner workings of the Liberty football program under coach Finnerty. It's easy to sit in the stands and call a coach out... It's hard to dedicate your life to the grind that is being a high school football coach - especially a head coach. I've said it before on here - if you know how to do things better then put down the keyboard and pick up a whistle and go coach. If you decide to stick with the keyboard - then why post anything negatively about any of these coaches that pour so much into helping mold young men? It's easy to criticize others for perceived shortcomings - but at the end of the day no one has any real insight into any of these programs - except for maybe a few coaches who post on here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though and I guess this board provides an avenue to express those opinions. I realize coaches don't pay any attention to these boards and even if they do - put zero stock in what any of us have to say. I don't think anyone on here though would like it if random people - who know nothing about how you go about doing your job - had a platform to criticize how you do your job.

But hey - I guess those guys signed up for it right? I guess it comes with that huge pay check those guys get for the countless hours they invest in student-athletes.
I actually do have an inside source and will post my opinion without going in to detail. You or anyone else can defend or assume what you want.

I actually do have an inside source and will post my opinion without going in to detail. You or anyone else can defend or assume what you want.

I don't put a lot of stock into what Johnny's parents have to say about Liberty's program... So continue to post your uninformed comments... Best of luck Coach Finnerty!

I don't put a lot of stock into what Johnny's parents have to say about Liberty's program... So continue to post your uninformed comments... Best of luck Coach Finnerty!
Haters going to hate. That's just what they do because they're haters.

Reactions: falcettik
Your so misinformed!
OCBoy is right. I, too, have direct (not Johnny's parents) understanding of how Liberty operates. It's a good program, and Finnerty is a good coach- but they only did well when they had exceptional size or talent. Of course I wish Finnerty well, and I think he will do solidly with a change of scenery. I just also think Girolmo will do better at Battlefield.

Reactions: OCBoy
From what I hear Coach Finnerty is bringing in a good culture to the program. He will be successful if he is able to realize the talent he has and adjusts the style around it. Patriot has some of the top athletes in the entire area to run a spread and get his play-makers the ball, which is something the former HC excelled at. Hopefully he gets a solid offensive coordinator that knows how to operate an offense with many talented skilled positions. Basic things that may have worked at the smaller school size probably won't work at the Virginia 6A level to win a District/State Championship. On defense he was successful at liberty and my guess will run the same style D and just make sure the players are disciplined in assignments. I wish him the best of Luck!!!

Last edited:
From what I hear Coach Finnerty is bringing in a good culture to the program. He will be successful if he is able to realize the talent he has and adjusts the style around it. Patriot has some of the top athletes in the entire area to run a spread and get his play-makers the ball, which is something the former HC excelled at. Hopefully he gets a solid offensive coordinator that knows how to operate an offense with many talented skilled positions. Basic things that may have worked at the smaller school size probably won't work at the Virginia 6A level to win a District/State Championship. On defense he was successful at liberty and my guess will run the same style D and just make sure the players are disciplined in assignments. I wish him the best of Luck!!!

He will have plenty of kids to run out there and be competitive with. You don't need the best kids in HS to be good. Solid coaching and a disciplined team will take you far at this level. They do lose most of their OL though. They will need to find some kids who can fill in there. I think the kid who was the backup QB this year will give them a greater advantage at that spot going forward. They will have a good group of WR's and a couple solid RB's as well.

They need a huge change to the defensive side of the ball. They will have good talent coming back, but their scheme needs an upgrade. Hopefully he brings in somebody that will accomplish the scheme part of it.

I know there a few very solid returners that were looking to leave. I think the new HC will give them something to think about because that (past staff) was their driving force in looking to leave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT