ADVERTISEMENT

People are funny

BoKnowsSports

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 19, 2021
LCA hasn’t been a contender in football since the VHSL let them compete with the public schools.. Haven’t heard a peep from fans until now. Been reading some stuff on how “they shouldn’t be allowed to compete because they have too much talent”. Just thinking out loud.

Reactions: rainman17
LCA hasn’t been a contender in football since the VHSL let them compete with the public schools.. Haven’t heard a peep from fans until now. Been reading some stuff on how “they shouldn’t be allowed to compete because they have too much talent”. Just thinking out loud.
They have won a VHSL state championship in baseball. They haven't shown me anything in football, to this point, that makes me think they have too much talent. They have a decent chance to make the state championship game this year, but they will have a very solid opponent.

Was last year the first year they had to play down in class 3. I know they had to play in class 4 when they first entered.
They have created their own bed to sleep in with their past "claims" so I have no issue letting LCA deal with that reputation now.

Last edited:
I think if they were playing by the same rules as everyone else and winning then the argument of to much talent would be justified. The way the operate now and the persona they try to give off is what irritates most people.

Reactions: Bolts4Life
The issue is that LCA is still a Private School! All Private Schools in the state can recruit, because Privates do not have to play by the same rules as Publics. However, because of constant litigation and the LU funds to support it, now LCA gets to play in VHSL Public School playoffs but still recruit like a Private. This is extremely unfair to the Public schools who enforce VHSL policy and especially to the ones who have been sanctioned for violation. This is no knock on LCA the players, coaches, or fans...it is just a harsh reality. The VHSL is currently allowing one of its teams to openly recruit and are unequally enforcing their own rules. This says, they fear litigation more than they support fair play! Once again, no knock on LCA if they let my team recruit I would be excited too!

Last edited:
Just for my own knowledge, is LCA allowed to take kids from outside of the city limits. I know at one time, there was a multiplier that said that if they had kids from X number of school district, that they would be bumped up in classification. For example, they could take kids from the city, but if they got kids from Bedford Co, they would get bumped a classification, if they took kids from Amherst Co, they might get bumped another classification. I know it was discussed at one time as a way to level the playing field and discourage recruiting and transfers.

I don't know what the final decisions were in regards to this so that is why I am asking.

The way I understood it was that LCA could pull kids who were zone for one of the city schools not sure which one Heritage or Glass but not both since they dropped down in classification. The problem arises when they are getting students who are not in that zone. Like offers to have host families for student athletes the they can "offer a better education opportunity" those kids just happen to be really good athletes at the same time. Or the blatant disregard for VHSL rules like no practice and team activities during the quarantine shut down and LCA student athletes posting videos of team of team work outs online.

Reactions: VolNation85
When LCA went after the VHSL to force them to allow their participation, it may have been ok in my book if they had taken the high road, presented their case in court, and allow a judge to decide on merit.

But that is not what happened.

The now thoroughly disgraced Jerry Falwell Jr, led by his enormous ego, and using Liberty Universery money, bullied the VHSL by basically presenting “an offer that they can’t refuse.”

Falwell obtained the services of a top New York City law firm and had them March into the VHSL office and essentially said the following.

“We have unlimited resources, and intend to use them to bring the VHSL to its knees. In fact, the VHSL will almost assuredly be wiped out financially and cease to exist if you fight us. So agree to allow LCA to become a member or continue to fight their request at your peril.“

Even by that point in time, the League had expended a tremendous amount of money that was intended to provide services for student activities across the state. The League had no choice.

I really have no I’ll feelings for the kids and the coaches at LCA. But, I will never forgive Falwell Jr., and those that were charged with oversight responsibilities, for the damage they caused the VHSL, and as a consequence of their strong arm tactics, what they took away from all of our kids across the Commonwealth.

It all boils down to this. Falwell Jr. said, “that Nobody is going to deny me what I want, and this includes the VHSL.”

I personally know of one player for LCA from another district and should have played for Appo.

When LCA went after the VHSL to force them to allow their participation, it may have been ok in my book if they had taken the high road, presented their case in court, and allow a judge to decide on merit.

But that is not what happened.

The now thoroughly disgraced Jerry Falwell Jr, led by his enormous ego, and using Liberty Universery money, bullied the VHSL by basically presenting “an offer that they can’t refuse.”

Falwell obtained the services of a top New York City law firm and had them March into the VHSL office and essentially said the following.

“We have unlimited resources, and intend to use them to bring the VHSL to its knees. In fact, the VHSL will almost assuredly be wiped out financially and cease to exist if you fight us. So agree to allow LCA to become a member or continue to fight their request at your peril.“

Even by that point in time, the League had expended a tremendous amount of money that was intended to provide services for student activities across the state. The League had no choice.

I really have no I’ll feelings for the kids and the coaches at LCA. But, I will never forgive Falwell Jr., and those that were charged with oversight responsibilities, for the damage they caused the VHSL, and as a consequence of their strong arm tactics, what they took away from all of our kids across the Commonwealth.

It all boils down to this. Falwell Jr. said, “that Nobody is going to deny me what I want, and this includes the VHSL.”
All of what you said was also reported by local news during the litigation era. This is by far not the first time i have seen this in print. BTW does anyone know the salary Rocco gets? Ive heard rumors and it's rather high.

The way I understood it was that LCA could pull kids who were zone for one of the city schools not sure which one Heritage or Glass but not both since they dropped down in classification. The problem arises when they are getting students who are not in that zone. Like offers to have host families for student athletes the they can "offer a better education opportunity" those kids just happen to be really good athletes at the same time. Or the blatant disregard for VHSL rules like no practice and team activities during the quarantine shut down and LCA student athletes posting videos of team of team work outs online.
This represents a major component of the VHSL By-laws. The VHSL has no authority, ability, or established resources to investigate alleged violations.
The reporting of violations must basically be “self reported” by the Principal, and/or in some instances the District representative. Truthfully, the VHSL exist by Charter as a self run and self regulated entity. Except in rare and unusual circumstances, the League office makes no rules or decisions, nor investigates violations.

Reactions: VolNation85
All area schools are aware of student athletes at LCA and other surrounding schools that should not by rule be there or ones from the past. The problem is that most times schools will not report this for fear people in glass houses should not throw rocks. Can not call another program out on things if your program is not 100% clean. Also a lot of the ADs are friends and do not want to make others upset.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Are you referring to Bo Henson while he was AD at glass? Lol They got busted, i have forgotten what the penalty was.

I can tell you that one of their key starters came from Bedford county, did not move from Bedford county, nor was forced to sit out a year. I had heard that covid might have freed up some of those rules but I have no idea how.

Last edited:
I have heard from several people 2 of which I trust a lot and according to them they have different rules for a lot of things one of which how they pay for officials. I want get into the other small things but was curious what would happen if everybody in the Seminole refuses to play LCA (I have heard this is being discussed). What penalties if any would happen to teams in Seminole if they did this?

The thing about your private and parochial schools is that while most of them have larger attendance boundaries (or in some cases none at all), they also tend to look for a different type of student athlete. Bigger pond, fewer fish type of deal. The only ones with really full blown recruiting imo are your national programs - Good Counsel, Gonzaga, etc.

All schools recruit whether its blatant or covert. Kids want to team up with other kids, *it'd be great to play with you my life would be easier and we would win state*, coaches saying man you are exceptional, I really could use someone like you in our program, boosters facilitating moves and enticing families to come, alum finding talent and funneling it to their Alma mater.

Nobody complained when they were getting their asses handed to them when they first came in, now they downsized and went to a smaller class and now we are in an uproar because a few starters didn't start their career at LCA and they have won a few games. If there was an exodus from the JF program its not because they're recruited, look at the record since Christmas left and the last year of his second stint the program has been in decline. All this speculation into what they are or aren't doing, and you can outside report a program for issues within it, you have to provide evidence to do so.

Nobody will stop playing LCA as they are a member in the Seminole now, all the local schools play them and will continue to compete with LCA.

I feel like some of you all would lose your top with how things are done in other states: middle school is a free agency of sorts, you can attend any school within your county/area as long as your application is accepted.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
All schools recruit whether its blatant or covert. Kids want to team up with other kids, *it'd be great to play with you my life would be easier and we would win state*, coaches saying man you are exceptional, I really could use someone like you in our program, boosters facilitating moves and enticing families to come, alum finding talent and funneling it to their Alma mater.

Nobody complained when they were getting their asses handed to them when they first came in, now they downsized and went to a smaller class and now we are in an uproar because a few starters didn't start their career at LCA and they have won a few games. If there was an exodus from the JF program its not because they're recruited, look at the record since Christmas left and the last year of his second stint the program has been in decline. All this speculation into what they are or aren't doing, and you can outside report a program for issues within it, you have to provide evidence to do so.

Nobody will stop playing LCA as they are a member in the Seminole now, all the local schools play them and will continue to compete with LCA.

I feel like some of you all would lose your top with how things are done in other states: middle school is a free agency of sorts, you can attend any school within your county/area as long as your application is accepted.

It's technically against NCHSAA, but power shifts in the I-Meck 4a. Sometimes upwards of six or more players all going from one school to another. Those rules are so difficult to enforce in larger urban areas with more transient populations it just tends to get overlooked. Then you have Forsyth County with open enrollment.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I think a few localities in VA offer students the opportunity to select which High School they attend. It’s typically based on the different specializations available at the various schools. I’m sure it is manipulated to attract kids with football potential to a certain school.

Was last year the first year they had to play down in class 3. I know they had to play in class 4 when they first entered.
They have created their own bed to sleep in with their past "claims" so I have no issue letting LCA deal with that reputation now.
Last year wasn't the first year in Class 3. I believe it was 2017 0r 2018.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Just for my own knowledge, is LCA allowed to take kids from outside of the city limits. I know at one time, there was a multiplier that said that if they had kids from X number of school district, that they would be bumped up in classification. For example, they could take kids from the city, but if they got kids from Bedford Co, they would get bumped a classification, if they took kids from Amherst Co, they might get bumped another classification. I know it was discussed at one time as a way to level the playing field and discourage recruiting and transfers.

I don't know what the final decisions were in regards to this so that is why I am asking.
When they first joined VHSL they were allowed to pull kids from anywhere, city or county. Since the multiplier has been dropped a student-athlete must "reside" (have an address) within the same school zone as Heritage. A student that is not an athlete may still attend LCA regardless of their address.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I can tell you that one of their key starters came from Bedford county, did not move from Bedford county, nor was forced to sit out a year. I had heard that covid might have freed up some of those rules but I have no idea how.
Yep, the QB?

I have heard from several people 2 of which I trust a lot and according to them they have different rules for a lot of things one of which how they pay for officials. I want get into the other small things but was curious what would happen if everybody in the Seminole refuses to play LCA (I have heard this is being discussed). What penalties if any would happen to teams in Seminole if they did this?
Nothing would happen if they refused to schedule them. Each school is allowed to create it's own schedule. The only possible issue would be if a school didn't find a replacement game. That would then hurt their own playoff points.

It's technically against NCHSAA, but power shifts in the I-Meck 4a. Sometimes upwards of six or more players all going from one school to another. Those rules are so difficult to enforce in larger urban areas with more transient populations it just tends to get overlooked. Then you have Forsyth County with open enrollment.

So you pretty much agree that it happens in more places than Lynchburg VA where LCA is located if I’m reading what you’re saying correctly.

So you pretty much agree that it happens in more places than Lynchburg VA where LCA is located if I’m reading what you’re saying correctly.
I don’t think anyone ever said it only happens at LCA. Don’t think anyone is under the illusion that it doesn’t happen elsewhere in the state as well.
(But I don’t really get the argument that if it happens elsewhere too then why are we even talking about it)

Reactions: Bo Bob
Right is right and wrong is wrong. When we dont address wrongs then we have today's society of if everyone is doing it then why bother. Look at that big mess!

Bottom line is that it happens. LCA is just the one that most people around this area hear about.
Schools here get frustrated with playing LCA and seeing kids on their team that live in their district that could be helping their team.
It's no secret that they have done it in the past, shoot I was at a game one year and a couple in front of me had a kids number all over their outfits. I asked if that was their son and they responded that , "he lived with them". Kid was 6'4" 300 lbs and could move pretty well. Same year we had a kid who left our county (school wise) to play for them on the line and ended up in the NFL for several years. Same kid had a brother that had similar size to transfer out to LCA during middle school years, but I don't think he ended up doing much but it wasn't for lack of size.
No VHSL grade requirements, (I don't think SOLs) and no age restriction. (they use to be able to promise a nice full or partial scholarship to LU as well)
Don't know if they still do but I know for a fact they "reclassified" several kids having them repeat 8th grade so they had an extra year of eligibility (red shirt year) which makes a huge difference on the field.

All in all the sour taste in my mouth is that it was largely known this happened and they would deny it which shot their credibility.

Reactions: BigWinners
I highly doubt Region D would let that happen. The Region can say that you will not qualify for the playoffs if you don't play all your district games. Sorta like what happened to Roanoke Co schools in the Spring.

2021 Disclaimer: First off please know my responses are not meant in any way to be inflammatory! or personal against you...Dont know you, but im sure you are a darn fine American!

The assertion that all schools recruit is false, and is like saying its ok for one school to do something because another school may do it. The old cliche "would you jump off a bridge if everyone did it" applies here. Some schools follow the rules, and always have and have done so with success on the field as well. The argument is not against LCA its against the VHSL and the fact that they are allowing direct rules violations because a Private school should have never been allowed to Play for the Public State Championship. Different situations, different rules. Never Should have happened!

Also, a lot of people complained when it happened, ALOT. However, the VHSL let it happen and showed no concerns for any complaints at that time, and still do not! Yes the victories bring back it back up, but the complaints are the same they originally were.

The Seminole is one of the best and proudest districts in the state year in and year out...if they decide to stick together they may make things interesting.

Absolutely, VA does have different rules...in NC just as you said once you hit middle school you can pretty much pick where you can go assuming you have transportation.

Last thing, remember last season when LB and Harliss came under so much fire for "recruiting" it actually caught the attention of the VHSL and he had to fight tooth and nail to change opinions and it may have hurt his program in the long run! Now I am in no way saying that LB did nothing wrong or did everything right. The issue is that it was a big deal because he coaches at a Public School in the VHSL, with Public School rules, and Public School funds. LCA does not have to live by the same rules which is insane seeing that they could play for the Championship that LB played for last year...If I was LB and Harliss I would throwing LCA in the face of the VHSL daily.

Last edited:
When they first joined VHSL they were allowed to pull kids from anywhere, city or county. Since the multiplier has been dropped a student-athlete must "reside" (have an address) within the same school zone as Heritage. A student that is not an athlete may still attend LCA regardless of their address.
The issue is the "host families" and "scholarships" that make this rule irrelevant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT