ADVERTISEMENT

People are funny

When LCA went after the VHSL to force them to allow their participation, it may have been ok in my book if they had taken the high road, presented their case in court, and allow a judge to decide on merit.

But that is not what happened.

The now thoroughly disgraced Jerry Falwell Jr, led by his enormous ego, and using Liberty Universery money, bullied the VHSL by basically presenting “an offer that they can’t refuse.”

Falwell obtained the services of a top New York City law firm and had them March into the VHSL office and essentially said the following.

“We have unlimited resources, and intend to use them to bring the VHSL to its knees. In fact, the VHSL will almost assuredly be wiped out financially and cease to exist if you fight us. So agree to allow LCA to become a member or continue to fight their request at your peril.“

Even by that point in time, the League had expended a tremendous amount of money that was intended to provide services for student activities across the state. The League had no choice.

I really have no I’ll feelings for the kids and the coaches at LCA. But, I will never forgive Falwell Jr., and those that were charged with oversight responsibilities, for the damage they caused the VHSL, and as a consequence of their strong arm tactics, what they took away from all of our kids across the Commonwealth.

It all boils down to this. Falwell Jr. said, “that Nobody is going to deny me what I want, and this includes the VHSL.”
WWJD??? Evidently lawyer up and put the screws to ya!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
2021 Disclaimer: First off please know my responses are not meant in any way to be inflammatory! or personal against you...Dont know you, but im sure you are a darn fine American!

The assertion that all schools recruit is false, and is like saying its ok for one school to do something because another school may do it. The old cliche "would you jump off a bridge if everyone did it" applies here. Some schools follow the rules, and always have and have done so with success on the field as well. The argument is not against LCA its against the VHSL and the fact that they are allowing direct rules violations because a Private school should have never been allowed to Play for the Public State Championship. Different situations, different rules. Never Should have happened!

Also, a lot of people complained when it happened, ALOT. However, the VHSL let it happen and showed no concerns for any complaints at that time, and still do not! Yes the victories bring back it back up, but the complaints are the same they originally were.

The Seminole is one of the best and proudest districts in the state year in and year out...if they decide to stick together they may make things interesting.

Absolutely, VA does have different rules...in NC just as you said once you hit middle school you can pretty much pick where you can go assuming you have transportation.

Last thing, remember last season when LB and Harliss came under so much fire for "recruiting" it actually caught the attention of the VHSL and he had to fight tooth and nail to change opinions and it may have hurt his program in the long run! Now I am in no way saying that LB did nothing wrong or did everything right. The issue is that it was a big deal because he coaches at a Public School in the VHSL, with Public School rules, and Public School funds. LCA does not have to live by the same rules which is insane seeing that they could play for the Championship that LB played for last year...If I was LB and Harliss I would throwing LCA in the face of the VHSL daily.

Let me debunk some of the myths and false things you asserted into my claim:

as I highlighted recruiting is done by every school whether it is blatant, covert, with intent or unintentional - let me give you an everyday example heck it happens during pickup games. An athlete playing travel sports with an athlete from another program/school saying it’d be nice to play together during the year not just during travel season. It’s not egregious or something that isn’t conversed about among young athletes and their peers but is this a violation of the HS bylaws but would someone say this is recruiting I believe so. Not all schools have an open recruitment and say hey come on down to my school we shall give you x y and z for your ability, sometimes things are more subtle but recruiting happens whether big or small and if you want to be blind to it keep living in the dark. They don’t have open season on the elite athletes in central VA, the private school just offers a different education model and puts the “Christian” values into their curriculum where public’s cannot. A parent can still pay/get sponsors to send their child to LCA, is that for athletic or academic purposes split the hair or whatever but that’s not necessarily recruiting in my eyes. That’s this thing we have called “choice” - the same way some feel they do/don’t have to wear a mask, it’s not the state or government’s responsibility to tell you where your kid can or cannot go to school.

VA has areas of open enrollment and you see athletes funneling to schools with a specific “program” although they’re going to be a stud in the athletic department more than anything else. I’m also not from NC that’s just an example , but notice how much people in central VA are in a tissy fit about what’s fair and what’s not, when ultimately what does it matter if the kid is getting an education and opportunity to change their surroundings/life.

LB was cleared of the claims but IMO who wouldn’t want to play on a team in central VA that’s getting kids power 5 offers, the attention is going to be on their tape/team film, you get one chance to stand out as an opponent and multiple opportunities as a teammate. You still have to be a “dude” to get those looks and offers but your exposure might be higher than it would at a little sister of the poor who just has you producing stats.

Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I don’t think anyone ever said it only happens at LCA. Don’t think anyone is under the illusion that it doesn’t happen elsewhere in the state as well.
(But I don’t really get the argument that if it happens elsewhere too then why are we even talking about it)

my point is different areas in VA have different attendance zone standards so in some areas open enrollment can allow for a school to “load up” on talent or recruit as many feel LCA is doing. My point is every school recruits to an extent whether it’s by the player, coach, ad, administrator, parent, alum, travel coach etc there’s always a voice saying the grass is greener here. (was one of the better athletes in my area and multiple coaches, players, etc expressed how I could help, or be a better fit at a different school). I’m just confused why it’s only a major issue when a perpetrators are winning…when LCA was the doormat everybody was so happy the privates couldn’t win in the Seminole now they’ve adjusted/acclimated and now it’s they recruit.LCA never had a specific zone but if they are pulling from HHS zone see the pioneers stats and appearances from 2000-now they have talent and a surplus of it, ask Woody what the halls of glass look like compared to brookville in terms of athletes walking around and if there’s still kids in The school they’d love to have out there.

The issue is the "host families" and "scholarships" that make this rule irrelevant.
Absolutely! That's why I used reside in quotes. Public schools are no different though as far as where an athlete "resides." People use fake addresses all the time in public and private school. Not saying it's right. It's just a fact.

Reactions: rainman17
Thank you for your response...as I stated nothing was meant as personal. Also I do not think anything I said needs "debunking" or is a Myth. Also the statement "if you want to be blind to it keep living in the dark" ...I am not blind I have decent eyesight for an old man LOL and its not dark where I live...it is daytime. LOL.

I am well aware that players talk to each other especially during travel sports (travel teams and whether they are good or bad for kids in sports is a great topic for a new thread)...but saying that is the same thing as what LCA did and is doing, is like comparing taking an extra penny from the tray at the gas station to a bank robbery. Yes its all theft, but one is far worse and on a far larger scale, than the other and should carry a higher penalty for sure.

I know what choice is, and that we have it :) but if we allowed every athlete who was decent in the state to go to whatever school they wanted...then Oscar Smith, Phoebus, Hampton, and Salem would have to build new schools to hold them all. There has to be some rule on this, and there is...my issue is that LCA doesn't have to follow it and the VHSL is allowing it. Nothing against LCA...they are doing exactly what the VHSL allows them to do.

Additionally, I find it a bit surprising that you believe kids talking to one another on travel squads to be recruiting but you do not think schools offering scholarships and host families to be so.

"A parent can still pay/get sponsors to send their child to LCA, is that for athletic or academic purposes split the hair or whatever but that’s not necessarily recruiting in my eyes."

I appreciate and respect your opinion, however I respectfully disagree with some of your logic. But that is the great thing about choice...we get to choose what we think and how we see things. Have a great day! :)

Right is right and wrong is wrong. When we dont address wrongs then we have today's society of if everyone is doing it then why bother. Look at that big mess!

Well if society had more common sense I don’t think we would in this mess at all, but that’s not a conversation we can agree on as a whole. Common sense isn’t so common or generally accepted as it once was.

Right is right wrong is wrong…people attempted to address wrongs long before they got to being as wrong as they did but that didn’t stop our country from discriminating and creating unfair laws/practices against African Americans , women, Japanese and others. At one point they believed what’s right is right and wrong is wrong (segregation, discrimination, internment camps were right) until someone showed them the truth that it was wrong what they previously thought . Hindsight can be 20/20 but you have to remember how we got to where we at.

Let’s not be facetious about this…

Bottom line is that it happens. LCA is just the one that most people around this area hear about.
Schools here get frustrated with playing LCA and seeing kids on their team that live in their district that could be helping their team.
It's no secret that they have done it in the past, shoot I was at a game one year and a couple in front of me had a kids number all over their outfits. I asked if that was their son and they responded that , "he lived with them". Kid was 6'4" 300 lbs and could move pretty well. Same year we had a kid who left our county (school wise) to play for them on the line and ended up in the NFL for several years. Same kid had a brother that had similar size to transfer out to LCA during middle school years, but I don't think he ended up doing much but it wasn't for lack of size.
No VHSL grade requirements, (I don't think SOLs) and no age restriction. (they use to be able to promise a nice full or partial scholarship to LU as well)
Don't know if they still do but I know for a fact they "reclassified" several kids having them repeat 8th grade so they had an extra year of eligibility (red shirt year) which makes a huge difference on the field.

All in all the sour taste in my mouth is that it was largely known this happened and they would deny it which shot their credibility.
Just for the record VHSL doesn't necessarily have grade requirements in the sense of a GPA requirement. The only academic requirement that VHSL has is that a student-athlete pass 5 of 7 classes the previous semester if they are on 7 class schedule or 3 of 4 classes if they are on block schedule . LCA also has to follow this rule because they are a VHSL member school.

Thank you for your response...as I stated nothing was meant as personal. Also I do not think anything I said needs "debunking" or is a Myth. Also the statement "if you want to be blind to it keep living in the dark" ...I am not blind I have decent eyesight for an old man LOL and its not dark where I live...it is daytime. LOL.

I am well aware that players talk to each other especially during travel sports (travel teams and whether they are good or bad for kids in sports is a great topic for a new thread)...but saying that is the same thing as what LCA did and is doing, is like comparing taking an extra penny from the tray at the gas station to a bank robbery. Yes its all theft, but one is far worse and on a far larger scale, than the other and should carry a higher penalty for sure.

I know what choice is, and that we have it :) but if we allowed every athlete who was decent in the state to go to whatever school they wanted...then Oscar Smith, Phoebus, Hampton, and Salem would have to build new schools to hold them all. There has to be some rule on this, and there is...my issue is that LCA doesn't have to follow it and the VHSL is allowing it. Nothing against LCA...they are doing exactly what the VHSL allows them to do.

Additionally, I find it a bit surprising that you believe kids talking to one another on travel squads to be recruiting but you do not think schools offering scholarships and host families to be so.

"A parent can still pay/get sponsors to send their child to LCA, is that for athletic or academic purposes split the hair or whatever but that’s not necessarily recruiting in my eyes."

I appreciate and respect your opinion, however I respectfully disagree with some of your logic. But that is the great thing about choice...we get to choose what we think and how we see things. Have a great day! :)

Of course but my example was simply that just an example of how a kid may be “recruited” whether it’s a full on press or a simple hey this would be cool…what LCA is doing is playing within their natural element, kids have some “host families”/“residences” but that doesn’t mean it’s LCA athletics funded.

the choice thing as i said - results from attendance zoning, if I live in Richmond and can get to all the Richmond schools and am allowed to go to any of them why am I pigeonholed into going to school that doesn’t meet my needs academically or athletically because it’s the closest one to my residence? The theory of all the kids going to those specific schools is flawed logic…think as to why every athlete just doesn’t to play at bama — they offer more than 25 kids and you could walk-on (NIL could pay for the tuition) instead there’s 120+ FBS programs with full rosters.

i believe that all of its recruiting, the “host/residence” the kids being kids the coach etc, I just don’t harp on it as the end of the world I realized it’s actually a better option to have options.

you aren’t speaking in myths but the debunking is more about the claims I’ve asserted and how they have slightly been construed

Reactions: martinsvillebulldog
Speaking of building new schools to hold them all, Salem just effectively built a new school so come on down! Was that recruiting?

In all seriousness though, a kid talking to another kid about going to play at another school is not recruiting. Recruiting would be a coach or school official initiating a conversation with parents or the kid about moving over.

The LB situation was not recruiting. A few kids decided they wanted to leave one school and go to another close by where more kids were getting offers.

Bobby masssie in my opinion went where he was supposed to. Which is why he went to ole miss and made it to the league I don’t think that would’ve happened at Appomattox when he was there under the current coach I can see it being possible but back then not as much.
Bottom line is that it happens. LCA is just the one that most people around this area hear about.
Schools here get frustrated with playing LCA and seeing kids on their team that live in their district that could be helping their team.
It's no secret that they have done it in the past, shoot I was at a game one year and a couple in front of me had a kids number all over their outfits. I asked if that was their son and they responded that , "he lived with them". Kid was 6'4" 300 lbs and could move pretty well. Same year we had a kid who left our county (school wise) to play for them on the line and ended up in the NFL for several years. Same kid had a brother that had similar size to transfer out to LCA during middle school years, but I don't think he ended up doing much but it wasn't for lack of size.
No VHSL grade requirements, (I don't think SOLs) and no age restriction. (they use to be able to promise a nice full or partial scholarship to LU as well)
Don't know if they still do but I know for a fact they "reclassified" several kids having them repeat 8th grade so they had an extra year of eligibility (red shirt year) which makes a huge difference on the field.

All in all the sour taste in my mouth is that it was largely known this happened and they would deny it which shot their credibility.
Speaking of building new schools to hold them all, Salem just effectively built a new school so come on down! Was that recruiting?

In all seriousness though, a kid talking to another kid about going to play at another school is not recruiting. Recruiting would be a coach or school official initiating a conversation with parents or the kid about moving over.

The LB situation was not recruiting. A few kids decided they wanted to leave one school and go to another close by where more kids were getting offers.

I can give you examples from my college sports team: athletes from other schools (prior to transfer portal) were the ones who recruited players for their coaches because a coach can’t have contact with a player from another program so if you think that player to player recruitment is a farce you are oblivious. Players are the easiest way to recruit because as you said it can’t be traced directly like a coach, booster, or administration which is why I include all of this in recruiting but hey I’m just the kid who went through the process got recruited by HSs and my university, played college sports, and have several friends and former teammates in professional sports organizations/leagues to pool my knowledge about how these things go on and exist not just here in VA but everywhere.

Last edited:
The issue is not that they recruit. We all know they do most teams in the district do it. But they do have more to offer than any other school in the district. So it is different. If they want to recruit then so be it but go back to the private school ranks and play a national schedule like the big boys do (we all know they have to money to front that kind of a project). I don't think it is just the fans that have the problem with LCA it is coaches and ADs also.

Let me debunk some of the myths and false things you asserted into my claim:

as I highlighted recruiting is done by every school whether it is blatant, covert, with intent or unintentional - let me give you an everyday example heck it happens during pickup games. An athlete playing travel sports with an athlete from another program/school saying it’d be nice to play together during the year not just during travel season. It’s not egregious or something that isn’t conversed about among young athletes and their peers but is this a violation of the HS bylaws but would someone say this is recruiting I believe so. Not all schools have an open recruitment and say hey come on down to my school we shall give you x y and z for your ability, sometimes things are more subtle but recruiting happens whether big or small and if you want to be blind to it keep living in the dark. They don’t have open season on the elite athletes in central VA, the private school just offers a different education model and puts the “Christian” values into their curriculum where public’s cannot. A parent can still pay/get sponsors to send their child to LCA, is that for athletic or academic purposes split the hair or whatever but that’s not necessarily recruiting in my eyes. That’s this thing we have called “choice” - the same way some feel they do/don’t have to wear a mask, it’s not the state or government’s responsibility to tell you where your kid can or cannot go to school.

VA has areas of open enrollment and you see athletes funneling to schools with a specific “program” although they’re going to be a stud in the athletic department more than anything else. I’m also not from NC that’s just an example , but notice how much people in central VA are in a tissy fit about what’s fair and what’s not, when ultimately what does it matter if the kid is getting an education and opportunity to change their surroundings/life.

LB was cleared of the claims but IMO who wouldn’t want to play on a team in central VA that’s getting kids power 5 offers, the attention is going to be on their tape/team film, you get one chance to stand out as an opponent and multiple opportunities as a teammate. You still have to be a “dude” to get those looks and offers but your exposure might be higher than it would at a little sister of the poor who just has you producing stats.
I’m not going to get into every issue, because there’s a lot here and you’re painting with an awfully large brush(ie “all schools recruit”). But I will address this repeated claim that transferring to a school with big time players increases a kid’s likelihood of getting offers. I have had conversations with two different individuals in the last year that are in college recruiting, one of whom is the assistant recruiting coordinator for an SEC school — both individuals said that not only will transferring to a new school not help, but due to the rapidly changing landscape of transferring between programs in college ball, it could even hurt them if they come across as someone who will transfer the moment they’re not getting what they want. LCA starting QB is a perfect example of this. His numbers last year were absolutely no better than average. Him transferring to LCA had nothing to do with his offers. He has and will continue to get offers because he’s an excellent student and seriously impresses at camps - that’s it.

Reactions: VolNation85
I’m not going to get into every issue, because there’s a lot here and you’re painting with an awfully large brush(ie “all schools recruit”). But I will address this repeated claim that transferring to a school with big time players increases a kid’s likelihood of getting offers. I have had conversations with two different individuals in the last year that are in college recruiting, one of whom is the assistant recruiting coordinator for an SEC school — both individuals said that not only will transferring to a new school not help, but due to the rapidly changing landscape of transferring between programs in college ball, it could even hurt them if they come across as someone who will transfer the moment they’re not getting what they want. LCA starting QB is a perfect example of this. His numbers last year were absolutely no better than average. Him transferring to LCA had nothing to do with his offers. He has and will continue to get offers because he’s an excellent student and seriously impresses at camps - that’s it.

The claim isn’t that it will get them offers, but the claim is that it will increase their exposure that’s the difference that’s my point on playing with big time players. You get exposure you get a few more eyes that you don’t get. The LCA QB went to camp and got his offer, tests well and decent tape, I do know for a fact because of Rice and the QB more coaches are paying attention to LCA film.

If transferring hurts a players chances why are these SEC schools and others taking all the kids at IMG? I know for sure they didn’t start out or get zoned to go there…but again let’s just leave it as this - you believe what you feel and I’ll do the same. I’m in tune with a lot on the high school and college landscape not just here in VA which is where my claims and assertions have risen from. Agree to disagree or whatever but you’ll find what I’m saying is accurate when you dig in and do some research.

Last edited:
The claim isn’t that it will get them offers, but the claim is that it will increase their exposure that’s the difference that’s my point on playing with big time players. You get exposure you get a few more eyes that you don’t get. The LCA QB went to camp and got his offer, tests well and decent tape, I do know for a fact because of Rice and the QB more coaches are paying attention to LCA film.
I can definitely see your point. I am just not convinced it gives them that much more exposure. I really do not think that College recruiters at any level are looking at Zach Rice's highlight for anything besides Zach Rice. In fact I almost feel like it is better to play against that talent for exposure. If your highlight reel has you beating Zach Rice or even doing decent against him, thats gonna get you exposure!

Reactions: CVAfootballfan
And my claim, as supported by people that are actually in recruiting, is that transferring to a school for the purpose of more exposure in hopes of getting an offer is misguided. And again, LCA starting QB got his offers as a result of his performance in the classroom and at camps, NOT his performance in a bulldogs uniform.

I can definitely see your point. I am just not convinced it gives them that much more exposure. I really do not think that College recruiters at any level are looking at Zach Rice's highlight for anything besides Zach Rice. In fact I almost feel like it is better to play against that talent for exposure. If your highlight reel has you beating Zach Rice or even doing decent against him, thats gonna get you exposure!
Agreed but playing against rice gives you one chance to show college coaches, where if you’re on the tape with him and they constantly see you flashing aside from him you have an opportunity to be seen more than that one time. Again you still have to be a dude/player that’s making noise but you see where I’m going…if I’m opposite of rice and I’m washing my blocks the same way he is I guarantee I will get looks, think of the LB OL multiple years multiple recruits, all were biggins but I think Hanson started the trend of big time offers and film.

And my claim, as supported by people that are actually in recruiting, is that transferring to a school for the purpose of more exposure in hopes of getting an offer is misguided. And again, LCA starting QB got his offers as a result of his performance in the classroom and at camps, NOT his performance in a bulldogs uniform.
Misguided potentially but you didn’t say how it didn’t get more views/exposure…secondly what’s your thoughts on IMG cause multiple players transferred there for exposure and a chance to be better prepared for college. Same with multiple other schools in the private leagues in the DMV because public Programs aren’t it..again think what you want but I guarantee you if rice transferred twice in the last two years he’d still have those offers, but schools wouldn’t be sniffing around LCA the same way they are now

Misguided potentially but you didn’t say how it didn’t get more views/exposure…secondly what’s your thoughts on IMG cause multiple players transferred there for exposure and a chance to be better prepared for college. Same with multiple other schools in the private leagues in the DMV because public Programs aren’t it..again think what you want but I guarantee you if rice transferred twice in the last two years he’d still have those offers, but schools wouldn’t be sniffing around LCA the same way they are now
Yes, if you’re a nationally ranked power 5 dude there is probably precious little you could do to hurt your chances of CONTINUING to get offers - but that’s not who we’re talking about - we’re talking about kids who aren’t getting offers and have been led to believe that transferring to another school will change that. Absolutely nothing carries even close to the weight that classroom performance and camps do. Don’t believe me? Ask a recruiter.

Reactions: martinsvillebulldog
Just for the record VHSL doesn't necessarily have grade requirements in the sense of a GPA requirement. The only academic requirement that VHSL has is that a student-athlete pass 5 of 7 classes the previous semester if they are on 7 class schedule or 3 of 4 classes if they are on block schedule . LCA also has to follow this rule because they are a VHSL member school.
Yea, I didn't mean a GPA requirement but the 5 of 7 classes deal.
Thanks for pointing that out and I wasn't sure if LCA had that imposed on them either.

The vhsl doesn’t “investigate” they are like the high court and make decisions based on what has been investigated and proven by the districts.. it’s up to the district to investigate and prove the wrong doing. In this case the Seminole district needs to investigate and prove the wrong doing. The problem with this is how do you prove it? its one thing to say it’s going on but it takes a lot of $$$ to prove it. Private investigators to sit on houses etc, it’s just not going to happen. The whole Harless deal with recruiting never made it out of the Blue Ridge district. Why? It couldn’t be proven. Did he recruit? Who knows? Are the parents that took their kids to said shool going to come out and say he recruited us? No.. other than proving something that is hear say into fact, what case do you have? It sucks, But if a parent is willing to move, pay for a apartment to get his kid to another school that is better for them and their family then so be it. But if a school is offering scholarships then they shouldn’t be able to play in a public High school league where they’re no scholarships. For the most part I think we can agree a private school offers a better education than public, why wouldn’t a family want that for their kid. Still doesnt make it right for them to compete with schools that don’t offer the same. The last part of this statement is merely my opinion private vs public.. not going to debate that, but the first part about districts investigating etc is fact.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT