ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus is completely dominating Heritage…

Ok, just leave it as is. Just a though .
But I don’t think a 5-5, 4-6 team,etc deserves to be in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Ok, just leave it as is. Just a though .
But I don’t think a 5-5, 4-6 team,etc deserves to be in the playoffs.

I agree with that. But I will say we have had champs at 5-5 I believe.

And in 3b, you would have only had 1 team qualify I believe.

I don't know if there is anything that is going to be perfect. I preferred the East/West thing, that at least gave the opportunity to have 2 teams from same "side".

Who cares about districts, regions, or classes and realignments. Six schools have been crowned champions today! These debates about other classes can be revisited in January or something. Today is a celebration for your state (Excuse me), Back To Back Class 3 State Champions, Phoebus Phantoms. You guys should be celebrating by having such a dominant program representing Class 3 and being debated with other elite programs as one of the top teams in the state in general regardless of classification! Class 3 is one of the toughest divisions in VHSL and we had to learn that hard fact with some disappointments in the past.

Who cares about districts, regions, or classes and realignments. Six schools have been crowned champions today! These debates about other classes can be revisited in January or something. Today is a celebration for your state (Excuse me), Back To Back Class 3 State Champions, Phoebus Phantoms. You guys should be celebrating by having such a dominant program representing Class 3 and being debated with other elite programs as one of the top teams in the state in general regardless of classification! Class 3 is one of the toughest divisions in VHSL and we had to learn that hard fact with some disappointments in the past.
Congratulations to Phoebus in their win and back to back championships. I saw great sportsmanship displayed by Phoebus.

They hate Phoebus it’s that simple but I wish they’d stop giving that energy to the kids.

They hate Phoebus it’s that simple but I wish they’d stop giving that energy to the kids.

Nobody here that I have seen has expressed hate for Phoebus, certainly not the players themselves.

Its the actions of those on here that caused ANY of this.

Find one post where anyone said anything CLOSE to what you are suggesting?

This is what bothers me. Say something like it is a fact and make those who disagree with you the bad guy. Wont speak for anyone else, but all I have said was needed to be respectful and to keep the same energy as you want to have when it is on the other foot.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS to PHOEBUS. Your team absolutely DESERVED AND EARNED it.

Reactions: VolNation85
Nobody here that I have seen has expressed hate for Phoebus, certainly not the players themselves.

Its the actions of those on here that caused ANY of this.

Find one post where anyone said anything CLOSE to what you are suggesting?

This is what bothers me. Say something like it is a fact and make those who disagree with you the bad guy. Wont speak for anyone else, but all I have said was needed to be respectful and to keep the same energy as you want to have when it is on the other foot.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS to PHOEBUS. Your team absolutely DESERVED AND EARNED it.
God you’re annoying. Did I specifically write that Va prep board members? We deal with lame adults and terrible sportsmanship every game in person.

Last edited:
God you’re annoying. Did I specifically write that Va prep board members? We deal with lame adults and terrible sportsmanship every game in person.

Well I would have a problem with that too. I don't what a lame adult is though? But if you have an issue with terrible Sportsmanship, why use it yourself on here?

But I take issue with suggestions of hate.

But the fact remains, you OBVIOUSLY have the best team in Class 3 this year and you should be PROUD. But that doesn't mean that you should go around displaying that love for your team by speaking negatively about others. You already know Phoebus was far superior, so does that mean that the other teams don't deserve praise for their players? Did Phoebus not deserve praise and accolades the years they had really good teams but didn't reach their goal? These seem like good kids at Phoebus, win or lose, and that in and of itself is reason to be proud.

Aa for this thread, I had ZERO intent to post, until you said to stick to how great Phoebus is. No problem, I agree on that. But then you also should be of the opinion that talking about how great Phoebus was and even more so how Dinwiddie cant hang and a bad matchup was inappropriate on a thread about Heritage and Christiansburg.

You see, I always think that kids and teams getting talked about shouldn't be rooted in negativity. And no matter how great a difference in one team and another that its about ALL these KIDS who go out and work hard to perform to represent their school.

Im done with this. Again congratulations to Phoebus and congratulations to their loyal fans as well. Enjoy it, because it doesn't happen every year. Hopefully someone can at least compete with them next year, as even though we love to see our teams win, it is much better to see a good, competitive game

He’s annoying??? Really??? Wow!!! You are a significant part of everyone’s reason for celebrating Phoebus moving to 4A.

Not one person in 3A has mentioned hating Phoebus players. Not one. Reflect on that for a minute.

Congratulations to Phoebus! What an awesome season! Truly dominating.

Last edited:
He’s annoying??? Really??? Wow!!! You are a significant part of everyone’s reason for celebrating Phoebus moving to 4A.

Not one person in 3A has mentioned hating Phoebus players. Not one. Reflect on that for a minute.

Congratulations to Phoebus! What an awesome season! Truly dominating.
Awww you don’t want me around anymore…I’ll make sure to come back to hype up Lafayette and Lake Taylor next year just for you. Let’s GO Rams and Titans! Hold it down for the 757! 757 Vs Everybody

Reactions: Lafayette
Class 3 is one of the toughest divisions in VHSL and we had to learn that hard fact with some disappointments in the past.
Yessir. I still remember walking out that Magna Vista game in shock then the Blacksburg game happened following year. We expected dominance and came in cocky and thought the Phoebus name would get us by. We fell off as a program for years and a lot questioned if we were ever going to make it back. Jeremy Blunt dealt with a lot of pressure in the background and to this day anything small Phoebus does will be blown out of proportion. That team bonded crazy last year when Blunt’s mother died and it became bigger than football. Through it all Blunt now has the whole city behind him and like he said yesterday on the news “Phoebus is back”!

Couldn’t have gotten back to the mountain top without the lumps. So shoutout to Magna Vista, Blacksburg, Heritage, Hopewell (2x), and Lafayette. Just a crazy stat since entering 3A the state championship has gone through us as we’ve been eliminated by the eventual champ or won the championship every year.

I know my posts may rub some the wrong way but Coach Bill Dee saved my life and I’m forever grateful to Phoebus and the Phoebus community. A lot of y’all see that we’re in Hampton but don’t realize Phoebus was once its own city so we have a big community feel. Even have our own downtown area.

So 8 teams get a BYE?

Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, these schools NEED the money that comes from playoff games and the resulting gate. So yes, while we may get some blowouts, attendance with closer games is valuable for that.

You won't see a lot of fans travel for games hours away (aside from a few programs and diehard fans).

For the purpose of your proposal, the previous system gave better results. But not every class did same thing. And there were games that resulted in 5+ hour drives and were over in 1st quarter.

I am not an everybody gets a participation trophy guy, but even if we get some blowouts, it gives a lot of kids the opportunity to play one more time.

Do you really think that George Wythe, Central Woodstock, Heritage, Kettle Run, Maury, and James Madison would rather have not played today?
From my understanding VHSL gets all money from playoff gate anyway.

Reactions: FoxesPride
But I didn't comment back on the other, I apologize.

Like I said, when we had East/West and 16 per, there were trips at around 6 hours iirc. And that was having the 2 closest regions together.

But you also need to think of it in broader picture (if you aren't already) and realize that Class 3 and Class 4 are the easiest areas to do what you are suggesting, and not that there is anything wrong with it, but I believe you are a Salem guy so that would be what you are most familiar with.

But Class 1 and 2 are way too spread out for that to conceivably work and it not cripple these schools. We also are already at a disadvantage when it comes to funds compared to other larger schools

Central Woodstock to Graham is 248 miles. And that isn't the largest gap, just the example of today.
A simple and easy fix is to just re-seed after regions. I would like to see them try this for a few years. Congrats to Phoebus and the other winners Yesterday, I followed Phoebus all year and watched them play Oscar Smith. Was never any doubt how their season would end

Enrollment. Heritage won the first meeting in 2018. Phoebus was just clearly the better team hands down. We just had to play one game at a time regardless of enrollment, schedule, or classification. They played teams from division 6, 5, 4 and 3. They beat them all.
Yes Phoebus was clearly the better team. My comment wasn't to say they weren't. The point was that school size does matter more often than not. In 2018 Phoebus and Heritage were closer in student population than this year.

Yessir. I still remember walking out that Magna Vista game in shock then the Blacksburg game happened following year. We expected dominance and came in cocky and thought the Phoebus name would get us by. We fell off as a program for years and a lot questioned if we were ever going to make it back. Jeremy Blunt dealt with a lot of pressure in the background and to this day anything small Phoebus does will be blown out of proportion. That team bonded crazy last year when Blunt’s mother died and it became bigger than football. Through it all Blunt now has the whole city behind him and like he said yesterday on the news “Phoebus is back”!

Couldn’t have gotten back to the mountain top without the lumps. So shoutout to Magna Vista, Blacksburg, Heritage, Hopewell (2x), and Lafayette. Just a crazy stat since entering 3A the state championship has gone through us as we’ve been eliminated by the eventual champ or won the championship every year.

I know my posts may rub some the wrong way but Coach Bill Dee saved my life and I’m forever grateful to Phoebus and the Phoebus community. A lot of y’all see that we’re in Hampton but don’t realize Phoebus was once its own city so we have a big community feel. Even have our own downtown area.
Coach Bill Dee saved my life too and he help put Phoebus on the map and turned a very bad program into a powerhouse. RIP.

Coach Bill Dee saved my life too and he help put Phoebus on the map and turned a very bad program into a powerhouse. RIP.
When I went to Phoebus I remember a 70 point beat down our team suffered. At one point there was only 12 players on varsity. Bill Dee worked magic at Phoebus. 4 titles in 8 years? I still remember when we finally beat the Hampton Crabbers.

Yes Phoebus was clearly the better team. My comment wasn't to say they weren't. The point was that school size does matter more often than not. In 2018 Phoebus and Heritage were closer in student population than this year.
Phoebus 1135 Heritage 1042 - 93 student difference, yet they made it to the championship. Congrats to Heritage on a great year. Like Coach Bradley said, They just ran into a buzzsaw. Thats it.

Reactions: MaroonandGold29
Phoebus 1135 Heritage 1042 - 93 student difference, yet they made it to the championship. Congrats to Heritage on a great year. Like Coach Bradley said, They just ran into a buzzsaw. Thats it.
Lafayette has around 1160. Why is Phoebus going to class 4?

Hmmm..... @Lafayette did you just snitch on your Rams? The VHSL numbers say you have 860. Is someone in Williamsburg falsely reporting enrollment numbers? Just kidding. I think your calculations may be off sir. These numbers constantly fluctuate and can be very frustrating. I don't like all the constant movement, nor do I like someone being well over the cap and still allowed to play down for two years. The VHSL approved the 23-24 realignment based on March 22 - June 2022 numbers. If you look at the numbers now many schools are well over the cap and we haven't even started the cycle. I just don't have an answer other than to possibly allow schools to project enrollment and to punish them if there is a significant increase during the two year period. Seems crazy, but I will give you this example. Phoebus played in Class 3 with 1,011 while Dinwiddie played in Class 4 with 960. I realize the numbers changed from the original forecast in 2021, but you can see my point. @Lafayette if your numbers are correct then your school is way over the cap for Class 3 and has one heck of an advantage.

Lafayette has around 1160. Why is Phoebus going to class 4?
Lafayette, If you find out why Phoebus is moving up let me know. I have a question for you. Do you remember any prediction that was made after the 1st week of the 2001 Peninsula District season?

Hmmm..... @Lafayette did you just snitch on your Rams? The VHSL numbers say you have 860. Is someone in Williamsburg falsely reporting enrollment numbers? Just kidding. I think your calculations may be off sir. These numbers constantly fluctuate and can be very frustrating. I don't like all the constant movement, nor do I like someone being well over the cap and still allowed to play down for two years. The VHSL approved the 23-24 realignment based on March 22 - June 2022 numbers. If you look at the numbers now many schools are well over the cap and we haven't even started the cycle. I just don't have an answer other than to possibly allow schools to project enrollment and to punish them if there is a significant increase during the two year period. Seems crazy, but I will give you this example. Phoebus played in Class 3 with 1,011 while Dinwiddie played in Class 4 with 960. I realize the numbers changed from the original forecast in 2021, but you can see my point. @Lafayette if your numbers are correct then your school is way over the cap for Class 3 and has one heck of an advantage.
Are the numbers you're referencing on the VHSL website? The "ADM" figures I've always looked at on their site differ from the ones you've quoted....

Hmmm..... @Lafayette did you just snitch on your Rams? The VHSL numbers say you have 860. Is someone in Williamsburg falsely reporting enrollment numbers? Just kidding. I think your calculations may be off sir. These numbers constantly fluctuate and can be very frustrating. I don't like all the constant movement, nor do I like someone being well over the cap and still allowed to play down for two years. The VHSL approved the 23-24 realignment based on March 22 - June 2022 numbers. If you look at the numbers now many schools are well over the cap and we haven't even started the cycle. I just don't have an answer other than to possibly allow schools to project enrollment and to punish them if there is a significant increase during the two year period. Seems crazy, but I will give you this example. Phoebus played in Class 3 1,011 while Dinwiddie played in Class 4 with 960. I realize the numbers changed from the original forecast in 2021, but you can see my point. @Lafayette if your numbers are correct then your school is way over the cap for Class 3 and has one heck of an advantage.
Yes sir. https://www.vhsl.org/alignment/alignmentdistrictregion-table/ Click on the adopted link and then look below and there is a pdf file with adm numbers ranked by class. Please understand my statement about the numbers for Lafayette were just tongue and cheek. I was basically picking on @Lafayette not insinuating anything.

Last edited:
Thanks, BN!

Does anyone know for certain if the current numbers are for grades 9-11, while the previous ones are for 9-12? If so, it would make sense as to why the current numbers are significantly less for a lot of schools....

It doesn't matter as much as people think it does. The best teams in Charlotte don't have the largest admins.

Last edited:
Thanks, DP...you and BN are on the stick! Glad you made that comment, as well, Mike, which is the only way the numbers make sense...don't want to hijack this thread, but I will say that I like having six classifications. It evens the playing field as much as possible once the post season begins, as it pertains to schools of similar enrollment playing one another.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Just want to give major respect and props to Coach Bradley of the Heritage Pioneers. His post game interview he gave on the news after the game let’s me know that y’all got a good leader over there. No excuses were made and respect was shown. I remember a particular coach from the same city last year after losing to Phoebus we don’t need to bring that up. Respect to Coach Bradley definitely a fan.

Thanks, DP...you and BN are on the stick! Glad you made that comment, as well, Mike, which is the only way the numbers make sense...don't want to hijack this thread, but I will say that I like having six classifications. It evens the playing field as much as possible once the post season begins, as it pertains to schools of similar enrollment playing one another.
Thank you, LHS. And I agree fully. A lot of folks have different ideas for how to class the schools, but most are not looking at the big picture. Developing a classification system that streamlines one area of the state tends to create monumental problems in another area. Also, it’s not just about football. It’s about ALL VHSL sanctioned activities.

What we have now is by far the best system than I have ever seen for our entire state. And I want to add this. The VHSL catches a lot of criticism from us out here in the peanut gallery. Some of it may be deserved, but most of it is not. A quick example, from my own sister no less. “The VHSL should put railings up at the ends of the concrete bleaches in Hopewell.“ “Don’t they care that some kid can fall 10’ to the concrete below?” Well sis, yes the do. But they have no more authority to force hand rail installation there than they would at your house. “But, but, but….,!“

This is just one of the types of things that the VHSL gets criticized for. The League must shoulder much of the fault for all of the misguided flack. They have done a really poor job of educating the public about their charter and their mission. Also, another VERY important fact. Rules don’t come from the folks at the League headquarters in Charlottesville. THE MEMBER SCHOOLS MAKE THE RULES. The executive Director can make a ruling in emergency situations only, but EVERY rule or change must be voted on and approved ultimately my the 318 member schools.

So, if you want something changed, you have to start by addressing it to your local high school AD and Principal.

Another often misunderstood fact. The school Principal “only” is the official representative to the League. However, the Principal can, and often does, designate his AD as his defacto representative.

I apologize for rambling on.

Not sure where you got those numbers, VHSL has Phoebus at 1011 and Heritage at 813 as of June 2022. But congratulations to the Phantoms!

Just want to give major respect and props to Coach Bradley of the Heritage Pioneers. His post game interview he gave on the news after the game let’s me know that y’all got a good leader over there. No excuses were made and respect was shown. I remember a particular coach from the same city last year after losing to Phoebus we don’t need to bring that up. Respect to Coach Bradley definitely a fan.
If we know anything about Coach Bradley, he doesn’t mince words or make excuses. And yea basically the first thing out of that coaches mouth was an excuse last year!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT