ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus is completely dominating Heritage…

I stopped watching after the second deep pass.

Should’ve took the points when they had two free field goals. They could’ve built some confidence. Now they’re confidence is completely shot.

If the three late games follow the three early games in terms of not being that competitive I think it is a strong argument that Virginia would be much better served with 3(possibly 4) classifications than the current 6. Title games featuring HS vs. Freedom, Dinwiddie vs. Phoebus, and the D2 winner vs. Riverheads would be much more intriguing than the current 6 game slate, at least in my opinion.

If the three late games follow the three early games in terms of not being that competitive I think it is a strong argument that Virginia would be much better served with 3(possibly 4) classifications than the current 6. Title games featuring HS vs. Freedom, Dinwiddie vs. Phoebus, and the D2 winner vs. Riverheads would be much more intriguing than the current 6 game slate, at least in my opinion.
I think that is a reasonable position, especially this year, but I think 3 is too few most years IMO. Reducing it to 4 or 5 would be better, if you're going to reduce it.

Disagree, this is an exceptionally rare circumstance with wire-to-wire across the board in all divisions, it's not indicative of a larger problem unless it becomes a constant pattern. Don't forget HSHS is in C6 next year, Phoebus is in C4 next year, and RH in C2, this isn't quite what you think it is really.

Disagree, this is an exceptionally rare circumstance with wire-to-wire across the board in all divisions, it's not indicative of a larger problem unless it becomes a constant pattern. Don't forget HSHS is in C6 next year, Phoebus is in C4 next year, and RH in C2, this isn't quite what you think it is really.

KR also drops to 3A next year too.

There might be just an organic shift after the reclassification.

KR also drops to 3A next year too.

There might be just an organic shift after the reclassification.

Most likely will be. This is akin to them going up to 12 in the CFP then the top 4 teams being top 4 all year and making the semis/playing for the title, it doesn't mean we need to go down from 12 to 4 if that happens unless it becomes a constant problem. This is just a very weird year in Virginia, usually there's more suspense at the top of at least 3-4 classifications. People have basically crowned the champs in all six divisions for several months now and as it stands they're batting 3-0 on that front today and it's hard not to see 6-0 as inevitable.

My position has not changed in years, it is just that this year the title game disparities provide another point of reference. My belief started many years ago when you had teams with .500 or less records making the playoffs. The early round games continue to be decidedly one-sided. I understand playoff expansion at all levels(pro, college and high school) is generally a revenue driven proposition. My preference would be for playoffs to be more a reward for regular season accomplishment than the present model.

We probably would benefit from more divisions rather than less. For example, this season Phoebus was one of the largest Class 3 schools, thus, the reason they're moving to Class 4 next year; Heritage was on the smaller side of Class 3 this year. Heritage was closer to being a Class 2 school and Phoebus closer to Class 4 in terms of population. The same with Riverheads in Class 1. They have been one the largest Class 1 school for some years now, in fact, they have more students than some Class 2 schools and they're moving up next season.

IMO a breakdown something like this would make playoffs and state games more competitive...
Class 1- 250 and under
Class 2- 251 to 499
Class 3- 500 to 749
Class 4- 750 to 999
Class 5 - 1000 to 1249
Class 6- 1250 to 1499
Class 7- 1500 to 1749
Class 8- 1750+

Reactions: OCBoy and SFUWO
We probably would benefit from more divisions rather than less. For example, this season Phoebus was one of the largest Class 3 schools, thus, the reason they're moving to Class 4 next year; Heritage was on the smaller side of Class 3 this year. Heritage was closer to being a Class 2 school and Phoebus closer to Class 4 in terms of population. The same with Riverheads in Class 1. They have been one the largest Class 1 school for some years now, in fact, they have more students than some Class 2 schools and they're moving up next season.

IMO a breakdown something like this would make playoffs and state games more competitive...
Class 1- 250 and under
Class 2- 251 to 499
Class 3- 500 to 749
Class 4- 750 to 999
Class 5 - 1000 to 1249
Class 6- 1250 to 1499
Class 7- 1500 to 1749
Class 8- 1750+
It didnt mean anything in 2018

Class 1- 250 and under
Class 2- 251 to 499
Class 3- 500 to 749
Class 4- 750 to 999
Class 5 - 1000 to 1249
Class 6- 1250 to 1499
Class 7- 1500 to 1749
Class 8- 1750+
If VHSL did go to eight classifications (extremely unlikely, IMO) would you drop to just 8 teams per classification in the playoffs? And what happens to the regions? Four regions aren't viable when you have so few teams in each classification/region and you would probably have to go to either a N/S or E/W two region format like we had a few years ago. The bigger issue is going to be travel-lots of anti-travel people now and an eight classification system might impact that, depending on how the schools broke out in the new system.

Please don’t change the subject of the post. Congrats to the Phoebus Phantoms. Back to back state champs

Most likely will be. This is akin to them going up to 12 in the CFP then the top 4 teams being top 4 all year and making the semis/playing for the title, it doesn't mean we need to go down from 12 to 4 if that happens unless it becomes a constant problem. This is just a very weird year in Virginia, usually there's more suspense at the top of at least 3-4 classifications. People have basically crowned the champs in all six divisions for several months now and as it stands they're batting 3-0 on that front today and it's hard not to see 6-0 as inevitable.
I decided to be hard headed and voted against the Sprinters. But with the first 3 games that were not so competitive change will be welcome.

If VHSL did go to eight classifications (extremely unlikely, IMO) would you drop to just 8 teams per classification in the playoffs? And what happens to the regions? Four regions aren't viable when you have so few teams in each classification/region and you would probably have to go to either a N/S or E/W two region format like we had a few years ago. The bigger issue is going to be travel-lots of anti-travel people now and an eight classification system might impact that, depending on how the schools broke out in the new system.
I think you could still do at least 16 teams in each classification. I would think travel would be less of an issue because the regions would have fewer teams. 4 regions with 4 teams per region.

What do you mean?
Enrollment. Heritage won the first meeting in 2018. Phoebus was just clearly the better team hands down. We just had to play one game at a time regardless of enrollment, schedule, or classification. They played teams from division 6, 5, 4 and 3. They beat them all.

Reactions: VolNation85
Please don’t change the subject of the post. Congrats to the Phoebus Phantoms. Back to back state champs

Congrats to Phoebus, they were obviously the better team like everyone knew they were. And I even agree with the message here...

But the hypocrisy in this post is absolutely astonishing. Wanting the post to be kept on subject, but had no issue with talking about Phoebus and how great they were (AND ARE!!!) in threads not about them.

Congrats to Phoebus, they were obviously the better team like everyone knew they were. And I even agree with the message here...

But the hypocrisy in this post is absolutely astonishing. Wanting the post to be kept on subject, but had no issue with talking about Phoebus and how great they were (AND ARE!!!) in threads not about them.
Cool.

Hands down, one of the better teams I’ve seen in years. I’ve seen a lot of high school football.

Very. And if you don't see it, then you only respect your view and opinion.

Like I said, I agree that what should be talked about here is Phoebus. I guess I am just old school and think you should show respect for others and practice what you preach.

It is what it is. Again Congratulations to your team

Class 1- 250 and under
Class 2- 251 to 499
Class 3- 500 to 749
Class 4- 750 to 999
Class 5 - 1000 to 1249
Class 6- 1250 to 1499
Class 7- 1500 to 1749
Class 8- 1750+
Leave it at 6 classes and do away with regions.. Move all playoff games to Satuarday(for travel) best 24 teams in each class ranked based on points. Bracket them out and play ball. That way it gives the best road for the 2 best teams to play in the title game. No one really cares about a region title anyway!!

Leave it at 6 classes and do away with regions.. Move all playoff games to Satuarday(for travel) best 24 teams in each class ranked based on points. Bracket them out and play ball. That way it gives the best road for the 2 best teams to play in the title game. No one really cares about a region title anyway!!

So 8 teams get a BYE?

Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, these schools NEED the money that comes from playoff games and the resulting gate. So yes, while we may get some blowouts, attendance with closer games is valuable for that.

You won't see a lot of fans travel for games hours away (aside from a few programs and diehard fans).

For the purpose of your proposal, the previous system gave better results. But not every class did same thing. And there were games that resulted in 5+ hour drives and were over in 1st quarter.

I am not an everybody gets a participation trophy guy, but even if we get some blowouts, it gives a lot of kids the opportunity to play one more time.

Do you really think that George Wythe, Central Woodstock, Heritage, Kettle Run, Maury, and James Madison would rather have not played today?

So 8 teams get a BYE?

Whether people want to acknowledge it or not, these schools NEED the money that comes from playoff games and the resulting gate. So yes, while we may get some blowouts, attendance with closer games is valuable for that.

You won't see a lot of fans travel for games hours away (aside from a few programs and diehard fans).

For the purpose of your proposal, the previous system gave better results. But not every class did same thing. And there were games that resulted in 5+ hour drives and were over in 1st quarter.

I am not an everybody gets a participation trophy guy, but even if we get some blowouts, it gives a lot of kids the opportunity to play one more time.

Do you really think that George Wythe, Central Woodstock, Heritage, Kettle Run, Maury, and James Madison would rather have not played today?
Unfortunately in todays climate, fans won’t hardly travel across town to an away game so that’s a moot point. The bracket stays the same as it is, you just do away with regions. 1. 2, 3, 4 would head up a particular bracket(what used to be a region) you still have 24 teams in the play offs, same as now, no byes, 1 plays 24, 2 plays 23 and so on and so on. Higher rank hosts until the state which would be at the neutral site that’s been contracted . Same as now.

Last edited:
Reactions: catchtds
Unfortunately in todays climate, fans won’t hardly travel across town to an away game so that’s a moot point. The bracket stays the same as it is, you just do away with regions. 1. 2, 3, 4 would head up a particular bracket(what used to be a region) you still have 24 teams in the play offs, same as now, no byes, 1 plays 24, 2 plays 23 and so on and so on. Higher rank hosts until the state which would be at the neutral site that’s been contracted . Same as now.

24 leaves a BYE at some point, that is my point in asking.

1v24
2v23
3v22
4v21
5v20
6v19
7v18
8v17
9v16
10v15
11v14
12v13

1v12
2v11
3v10
4v9
5v8
6v7

1v6
2v5
3v4

I disagree that nobody cares about a regional title. Those are a definitely a big deal across the state.

Reactions: otnorot

But I didn't comment back on the other, I apologize.

Like I said, when we had East/West and 16 per, there were trips at around 6 hours iirc. And that was having the 2 closest regions together.

But you also need to think of it in broader picture (if you aren't already) and realize that Class 3 and Class 4 are the easiest areas to do what you are suggesting, and not that there is anything wrong with it, but I believe you are a Salem guy so that would be what you are most familiar with.

But Class 1 and 2 are way too spread out for that to conceivably work and it not cripple these schools. We also are already at a disadvantage when it comes to funds compared to other larger schools

Central Woodstock to Graham is 248 miles. And that isn't the largest gap, just the example of today.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT