ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus Phantoms 2022

PHSBlue&Gold

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 15, 2003
I am here to tell you that this Phoebus team is very special this year. They will be even better than last year's State Championship team IMHO. I don't want to use the word juggernaut but the Phantoms are bigger, stronger, faster, and deeper at just about every position. They are lights out on defense and very aggressive on both sides of the ball. I can honestly say that I truly believe that this team can and will be a stiff challenge for everyone on their schedule (even Oscar Smith). I was very hesitant to make my prediction last season going into that game but I will say that I feel much more confident in this Phoebus team in 2022. Remember the name Nolan James (QB transfer from Nansemond River). He's the most gifted QB I've seen in the Peninsula District since Tyrod Taylor of Hampton many years ago. I give any team a chance on any given night but I love the what I've seen from the Phantoms so far. They're hungry like one of those great Phoebus teams of the Bill Dee days but with a much more explosive offense. Good luck to everyone in Class 3 on a great season!

I am here to tell you that this Phoebus team is very special this year. They will be even better than last year's State Championship team IMHO. I don't want to use the word juggernaut but the Phantoms are bigger, stronger, faster, and deeper at just about every position. They are lights out on defense and very aggressive on both sides of the ball. I can honestly say that I truly believe that this team can and will be a stiff challenge for everyone on their schedule (even Oscar Smith). I was very hesitant to make my prediction last season going into that game but I will say that I feel much more confident in this Phoebus team in 2022. Remember the name Nolan James (QB transfer from Nansemond River). He's the most gifted QB I've seen in the Peninsula District since Tyrod Taylor of Hampton many years ago. I give any team a chance on any given night but I love the what I've seen from the Phantoms so far. They're hungry like one of those great Phoebus teams of the Bill Dee days but with a much more explosive offense. Good luck to everyone in Class 3 on a great season!
One thing is for sure this year, your rivalry game with Hampton will be a total blowout. This has to be the worst Hampton team in 50 years.

I don’t see a challenge on your schedule other than Oscar Smith. And unless they have improved a lot by your game, I will pick Phoebus.

Am I correct, Phoebus will move back up to 4A next year?

The difference is Nolan James. He was an absolute monster on Thursday. If he plays on that level this year, then nobody will beat us this year.

Mark Wagner was good but James is DIFFERENT and he’s surrounded with 2 speed backs and 5 very good WRs.

Last edited:
The difference is Nolan James. He was an absolute monster on Thursday. If he plays on that level this year, then nobody will beat us this year.

Mark Wagner was good but James is DIFFERENT and he’s surrounded with 2 speed backs and 5 very good WRs.
One game at a time, but Phoebus does look great this year!! The Nolan kid reminds me of Taj Boyd.

He's way more mobile than Boyd was. He's more like a Tyrod Taylor clone lol
I agree. I'm so glad you said that. Too me Nolan is a mix of both and he has moxy in the pocket. Would you say Taylor was better than Boyd?? PhoebusFan seems to think that Boyd was waaayyy better than the Nolan kid because he knew the offense better and threw it a little better. Hell Boyd was in the Phoebus offense for three years. He should've known it better compared to James who just got there. With that being said, Phoebus has got one behind center and a ton of weapons this year. If they play to their potential every game, they will be a tough out. It's one game at a time but I'm definitely going to be at that Oscar Smith game at Darling this year.

He reminds me much more of Tyrod Taylor than he does Boyd. I'm not saying he's Tyrod or Boyd, but his quicks and quick release are a lot like Tyrod's. Phoebus is probably one of the top 5-6 teams in the state of Virginia this year, even playing Class 3. Phoebus is that good this year. Maxpreps likes them. Maxpreps ranks Phoebus right now as the 5th overall team in the State of Virginia.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I agree. I'm so glad you said that. Too me Nolan is a mix of both and he has moxy in the pocket. Would you say Taylor was better than Boyd?? PhoebusFan seems to think that Boyd was waaayyy better than the Nolan kid because he knew the offense better and threw it a little better. Hell Boyd was in the Phoebus offense for three years. He should've known it better compared to James who just got there. With that being said, Phoebus has got one behind center and a ton of weapons this year. If they play to their potential every game, they will be a tough out. It's one game at a time but I'm definitely going to be at that Oscar Smith game at Darling this year.

Tajh Boyd was an all American QB that every FBS program in the nation wanted. Tajh played the last 10 games of that 2008 season on a torn ACL and no one knew until the Army All American game which he got MVP of. Nolan James is good but he doesn’t belong in Tajh Boyd talks. All love though respect ya opinion

Reactions: rainman17
Might as well just save everyone the trouble and order rings for Phoebus now. Let the rest of 3a get a head start on basketball season.

Tajh Boyd was an all American QB that every FBS program in the nation wanted. Tajh played the last 10 games of that 2008 season on a torn ACL and no one knew until the Army All American game which he got MVP of. Nolan James is good but he doesn’t belong in Tajh Boyd talks. All love though respect ya opinion
No one is speaking on accolades. We all know how great Tajh Boyd was at Phoebus and afterwards. I'm just stating the obvious that Nolan is clearly a more athletic QB than Boyd was in HIGH SCHOOL! Nolan is more comparable to Tyrod Taylor than Tajh Boyd. That's it. It doesn't mean that he's overall the better Qb or even as accomplished as Taylor or Boyd were. He just reminds me more of Taylor and is the best I've seen SINCE Boyd.

Might as well just save everyone the trouble and order rings for Phoebus now. Let the rest of 3a get a head start on basketball season.
No need to feel that way. As I clearly stated in my first post that any team can get beat on any given Friday. I just feel this this is a very strong Phoebus team in 2022, perhaps the strongest team they've had since Coach Jeremy Blunt's had during his tenure. They will be a tough out for anyone they play. No one seemed to have a problem when everyone wanted to put LCA, Lord Botetourt, and others on this same pedestal in seasons in the past.

No need to feel that way. As I clearly stated in my first post that any team can get beat on any given Friday. I just feel this this is a very strong Phoebus team in 2022, perhaps the strongest team they've had since Coach Jeremy Blunt's had during his tenure. They will be a tough out for anyone they play. No one seemed to have a problem when everyone wanted to put LCA, Lord Botetourt, and others on this same pedestal in seasons in the past.
I am just trying to save everyone the trouble of getting their hopes up. Lets just size up the rings now for the Phantoms. Everyone predicted LCA last year as the champs a few weeks in and that worked out. I mean why would anyone like LB or LCA with the "top ranked RB" even want to put their kids through losing to the great Phoebus.

I am just trying to save everyone the trouble of getting their hopes up. Lets just size up the rings now for the Phantoms. Everyone predicted LCA last year as the champs a few weeks in and that worked out. I mean why would anyone like LB or LCA with the "top ranked RB" even want to put their kids through losing to the great Phoebus.
I'm not going to entertain your posts because I can't get that time and energy back. Good luck to you and yours on this season.

I love the confidence in this dude just hope you don't have to eat crow.
Why should someone not be confident in the Phantoms??? Did you not see where they have the next great NFL prospect at QB? They're better than the team that won the title last year so why would they not win it all?

Why should someone not be confident in the Phantoms??? Did you not see where they have the next great NFL prospect at QB? They're better than the team that won the title last year so why would they not win it all?
Actually no, no person ever wrote Phoebus had a future NFL prospect. Why would you write something like that when you know that it was never written? Nobody in this thread ever declared Phoebus the state champion, but only commented on how they have a great team this year, so again, why would you write something like that? You stated everyone was picking LCA to win the title last year. Actually, no they weren't. Many were, but many in the Tidewater felt Phoebus had a shot. Because Phoebus appears to have a better team than last year does not mean people have automatically stated Phoebus will win the title this year, but you simply inferred that when not one single person in this thread wrote or suggested it. What is your deal man?

Actually no, no person ever wrote Phoebus had a future NFL prospect. Why would you write something like that when you know that it was never written? Nobody in this thread ever declared Phoebus the state champion, but only commented on how they have a great team this year, so again, why would you write something like that? You stated everyone was picking LCA to win the title last year. Actually, no they weren't. Many were, but many in the Tidewater felt Phoebus had a shot. Because Phoebus appears to have a better team than last year does not mean people have automatically stated Phoebus will win the title this year, but you simply inferred that when not one single person in this thread wrote or suggested it. What is your deal man?
Easy there buddy it is simply exaggerating on how fans were over hyping the Phantoms after a few games. Also if you say the kid is more athletic than Boyd easy to exaggerate into a NFL prospect. These are high school kids two weeks into the season and yall talk about how great they are. This board is so far from the good ole days when you could come on here and argue high school sports with people.

They are better than the team last year. You sir are very sarcastic. It was mentioned that a former player was good in high school and went on to become a good NFL player Nothing wrong with saying a player reminds them of another player. It's their opinion. Its the message boards. The Phantom faithful should be optimistic and confident. Any team can be beat, but I love what I have seen thus far and it is clearly one of the best Phoebus teams i've seen in a while. Whether they win the State Championship or not is yet to be determined, but they will be considered the favorite and rightfully so. They are ranked number 1 in division 3 for a reason. It might be hard to accept but that sir is a fact.

Easy there buddy it is simply exaggerating on how fans were over hyping the Phantoms after a few games. Also if you say the kid is more athletic than Boyd easy to exaggerate into a NFL prospect. These are high school kids two weeks into the season and yall talk about how great they are. This board is so far from the good ole days when you could come on here and argue high school sports with people.
Who is your team??? lol

My God man, do you read the posts? Who overhyped Phoebus after a few games? How do you form that conclusion when local fans simply stated this Phoebus team looks to be better than last? How is that "overhyping"?
How does being more athletic than Boyd "translate to being an NFL prospect"? He is more athletic than Boyd. Does that make him an equal or greater QB? Of course not, and nobody ever wrote he was. There's 50 plus intangibles to being anything close to Boyd and him being more athletic is 1 of the 50. There's the other 49 that nobody claimed to make. You made that leap, not other posters.

I'm all about arguing and debating football, but don't use fallacy and hyperbole to put words into other's mouths when they literally haven't stated anything you are claiming they are saying. If you don't like Phoebus, then simply say it, or say how they are absolutely not the automatic state Champs which is fair and reasonable and up for fun debate, but don't come at it in a way where you try to make it out like someone wrote something that literally was not written or inffered.

They are better than the team last year. You sir are very sarcastic. It was mentioned that a former player was good in high school and went on to become a good NFL player Nothing wrong with saying a player reminds them of another player. It's their opinion. Its the message boards. The Phantom faithful should be optimistic and confident. Any team can be beat, but I love what I have seen thus far and it is clearly one of the best Phoebus teams i've seen in a while. Whether they win the State Championship or not is yet to be determined, but they will be considered the favorite and rightfully so. They are ranked number 1 in division 3 for a reason. It might be hard to accept but that sir is a fact.
Fattyhawk, so because Phoebus looks to be better than last year, then...
1. Every Phoebus fan just declared the Phantoms as State Champs to give em the rings now.
2. Because the QB has qualities or reminds fans of a former NFL QB, then automatically every Phoebus fan just declared the Phoebus QB as the next great NFL star.

I'm kidding of course, but it is just mind-boggling at the logic of this one poster who somehow, some way comes up with that logic. In truth, the example here by this poster is the perfect definition of fallacy and hyperbole.

Fattyhawk, so because Phoebus looks to be better than last year, then...
1. Every Phoebus fan just declared the Phantoms as State Champs to give em the rings now.
2. Because the QB has qualities or reminds fans of a former NFL QB, then automatically every Phoebus fan just declared the Phoebus QB as the next great NFL star.

I'm kidding of course, but it is just mind-boggling at the logic of this one poster who somehow, some way comes up with that logic. In truth, the example here by this poster is the perfect definition of fallacy and hyperbole.
I'm still waiting for him to mention his team...lol Crickets

This is too funny. Nobody is calling Phoebus world beaters, but at this point it seems clear they should be the favorite. Lake Taylor and maybe even Hopewell will challenge in them in their own region. And everyone knows at the state level crazy things can happen.

I would imagine he’s a LCA fan. They are a bunch of pain in azzes, collectively, but I haven’t seen any post on these boards.
Yep gotta agree Bo sure sounds like one of them. Phoebus broke their hearts last year in the title game and LCA coach Frank Rocco refused to give the Phoebus coaches and players any credit for their victory. Said his team had been dealing with injuries.BS

Hopewell is very very good they lost their first game to varina 4a and they are ranked number one in Richmond area and number 1 in group 4 in the state. Hopewell will be there along with Phoebus lake Taylor, and Lafayette Petersburg.

Hopewell is very very good they lost their first game to varina 4a and they are ranked number one in Richmond area and number 1 in group 4 in the state. Hopewell will be there along with Phoebus lake Taylor, and Lafayette Petersburg.
They smacked Hermitage 5 scores to 1 in a scrimmage. Lots of people are saying “it’s just a scrimmage” but they dominated a Class 5 contender full of upperclassmen. Hopewell is legit.

They smacked Hermitage 5 scores to 1 in a scrimmage. Lots of people are saying “it’s just a scrimmage” but they dominated a Class 5 contender full of upperclassmen. Hopewell is legit.
Hopewell will always be relevant and well coached. Smacking Hermitage is ok but Hermitage hasn't done much in a few years. Time will tell the story but I know the bluedevils will be a tough out as well.

Hopewell will always be relevant and well coached. Smacking Hermitage is ok but Hermitage hasn't done much in a few years. Time will tell the story but I know the bluedevils will be a tough out as well.
Herm was on the come up until Bedwell resigned. Saw them play last year and they weren’t disciplined as a Varina, Dinwiddie or Highland Springs team. Definitely have the talent.

Yep gotta agree Bo sure sounds like one of them. Phoebus broke their hearts last year in the title game and LCA coach Frank Rocco refused to give the Phoebus coaches and players any credit for their victory. Said his team had been dealing with injuries.BS
Yeah i can’t believe he said that bs on the news. I would love to line it up again this year. They couldn’t move the ball on us last year with the #1 Ot in the nation…it’s going to be hell this year with a way better trenches for Phoebus. They were overrated we should’ve scored 2-3 more times but the offense last year would go through dry spurts.

One game. Against a completely overmatched Menchville. I will wait. With access to better training, nutrition and coaching, the games in the playoffs, especially at the top should still be competitive in the division 3-6. I will wait. But, bigger, stronger, faster sounds like a great movie title.

The impressive feat was that those earlier Phoebus teams beat the much larger schools for those championships.

I do know that Darling Stadium will be rocking it in November & I wouldn't miss this game if I can help it!!

What I heard in Rocco’s post game interview was pure arrogance and privilege. Phoebus was the better team and if they play this year, it will be in a blowout in the Phantoms’ favor. Sowers, the TE, kept LCA in that game.

No where close to a Lynchburg Cheating Academy fan. Just like stirring the pot. Funny how it takes a person exaggerating comments and over reacting to comments about a team to create a meaningful thread on here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT