ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus vs Brentsville District

Fairlawncat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 24, 2018
The Phantoms have tons of speed and athleticism and Calpreps favors them big in this game by a score of 38-8. But, the game is played on the field, not in California on a computer simulator. Phoebus has to be careful not to look ahead to LCA, same with LCA not looking ahead to Phoebus.

The Phantoms have tons of speed and athleticism and Calpreps favors them big in this game by a score of 38-8. But, the game is played on the field, not in California on a computer simulator. Phoebus has to be careful not to look ahead to LCA, same with LCA not looking ahead to Phoebus.
Phoebus defense has been rock solid except for Oscar Smith (does that even count?) and offense methodical. That score could be about right.

I haven’t watched Phoebus, have saw Brentsville on a few occasions. With that, Brentsville has decent size up front on both sides of the ball, the sophomore QB is athletic, but can’t say one thing stands out about them. They aren’t real explosive on O in my opinion. They do play good team D. I’d say Phoebus big, again my opinion, due to the athleticism overall. Region B was on the weak side this year, no real Offensive teams stood out, think that will be an issue this deep in playoffs.

I have been reading some of the comments and for the most it sounds like everyone is expecting Phoebus to win comfortably. I am a diehard Phantom Fan and have been since 1989 but this era of Phoebus football seems to always make games harder than they should be. I can't put my finger on why that's the case. I just know that we have to get back to coming out with a high level of intensity and cut out the penalties nullifying big plays. I'm not going to disrespect Brentsville District because they're here for a reason as well. This time of the year anything can happen. It's been far too many occasions that my Phantoms have lost playoff games that we had no business losing.

Phoebus defense has been rock solid except for Oscar Smith (does that even count?) and offense methodical. That score could be about right.
Oscar Smith has absolutely destroyed their playoff opponents by larger margins than they beat Phoebus. I said they would after they beat the Phantoms.
Phoebus has quietly returned.
Will they win it all? Who knows?
They're in position to become relevant again. I'm definitely pulling for the PD champs.

Reactions: PHSBlue&Gold
28-0 7:15 3rd quarter. Phoebus is completely dominating. Not much of a state semifinals

For some reason the guy that records all of Phoebus game live on YouTube is it recording.

Region 3B was weak, especially if a NW district team wins it!
Couldn't really comprehend the possibility of Meridian/George Mason playing Phoebus in football...obviously they're in the same division, just a matchup I never would have envisioned.

Definitely. Great challenge like you want in a title game. Phoebus did this without their star player KK Gray #2. He was sidelined with a minor injury but will be ready next Saturday.
AND not fair that LCA gets to play on their home field.

That was one of the more complete games that Phoebus has played in a while and it couldn't come at a better time even with star WR/CB Kymari Gray sidelined (concussion protocol). He will be fine for next week's state championship, Once he returns Phoebus must continue to spread it around!

Reactions: fattyhawk2013
That was one of the more complete games that Phoebus has played in a while and it couldn't come at a better time even with star WR/CB Kymari Gray sidelined (concussion protocol). He will be fine for next week's state championship, Once he returns Phoebus must continue to spread it around!
I agree. Phoebus played probably their best game since the LT game. Noone has been able to stop or slow LCA this year. They are big up front and have a decent qb and running back tandem. Phoebus has a ton of athletes and speed to burn. They must start fast and spread the ball around to Mayo, Bass, the two Grays, Pruitt, Taylor and Gatling Jr. Both teams are playing top level competition in each other. Although Phoebus lost to Oscar Smith, I think they benefit from playing that game. LCA is not Smith but a juggernaut in their own right. Phoebus matches up with LCA, and is playing their best ball. LCA is most likely the favorite but if Phoebus beats them I wouldn't be surprised. It comes down to coaching, field position, adjustments and mistake free football. Might have to make this trip.

Right now I would rate LCA a 3 point favorite. But this is a very even game. I’ll be watching on NHFS .

Reactions: PHSBlue&Gold
Right now I would rate LCA a 3 point favorite. But this is a very even game. I’ll be watching on NHFS .
I’m asking this as a legitimate question so please take it that way. It’s always been my understanding that it’s not supposed to be legal , once an offensive lineman puts a defender on the ground for the offensive lineman to hold the defender there. If they continue to block that’s one thing, but I didn’t think they are allowed to hold the defender down. Anyone with rules knowledge want to clear this up for me?

I’m asking this as a legitimate question so please take it that way. It’s always been my understanding that it’s not supposed to be legal , once an offensive lineman puts a defender on the ground for the offensive lineman to hold the defender there. If they continue to block that’s one thing, but I didn’t think they are allowed to hold the defender down. Anyone with rules knowledge want to clear this up for me?
Illegal Personal Contact
Rule 9 Section 4 Article 3c
No player or nonplayer shall:
Pile on any player who is lying on the ground.

Personal foul-15 yards.

Illegal Personal Contact
Rule 9 Section 4 Article 3c
No player or nonplayer shall:
Pile on any player who is lying on the ground.

Personal foul-15 yards.
Thank you for the response, I really appreciate it. I thought that was the case but didn’t know for sure. I saw it happen every time I watched LCA play this year when they were going against smaller, quicker defensive linemen. The frustrating part is that there was usually at least one referee looking right at the situation and no flags were thrown. The LCA line is big and pretty good, they don’t need that advantage. But if it isn’t going to be called I can understand them continuing to do it. I genuinely hope that there is a top level crew of refs in their game against Phoebus. I know reffing is a tough job but I just want To see it called fair.

Reactions: Repeat1stDown
Hopefully NFHS gets their act together. They get a D- so far. I'm about to ask for my money back. They usually do well with the State Championships though.

AND not fair that LCA gets to play on their home field.

But it’s not their home field, it’s the flames LCA just uses the facility since there isn’t a football facility in Lynchburg but city stadium that’s already split by 2 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT