ADVERTISEMENT

Pick em Week 1 Comments

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Posted just to get this thread started.

Remember, it helps Mike if we do not post anything but our picks on the "Pick em" thread.

Hey Mike, who won the pick em last year?

Reactions: mike salem
I see y’all didn’t put the Highland Springs game in the pick’m?!

That's an easy one, according to the VHSL Master schedule they don't have a game Week 1!
But they do! It’s not on the vhsl master schedule. They play Avalon(MD) next Friday at home. Their SECOND game is at OSmith. They play 2 out of state teams this season,starting with Avalon.

But they do! It’s not on the vhsl master schedule. They play Avalon(MD) next Friday at home. Their SECOND game is at OSmith. They play 2 out of state teams this season,starting with Avalon.
I checked the master schedule for the Pick Em. Next week's game should definitely make the cut.

Reactions: HooSprings
I understand that Dinwiddie is a tough place to get a win but think GW will come away with a victory! Courtland is my shocker pick of the week!!!!

What does Northside look like this year? I know they have a solid program and were good last year - but I took Pulaski (even with the injury to the QB) because of the buzz on the board about Pulaski. Thoughts on this game?

For some unknown reason, I've always rooted for the Smithfield Packers. I know in recent years it's because of my good buddy GWB. But, I liked them before I got to know him.

Sadly, GWB doesn't have good things to say about where the program is headed. Consequently, I just couldn't pick them this week.

I see that I'm in the minority in picking Centreville. I know very little about teams up that way, but they seem to have a lot of returning starters.

I struggled with MV vs LCA. In the end, I think LCA will be much improved, and I feel like MV has lost their swagger in the last few years.

The Courtland faithful always feel like that "this is their year!" And they should. That's what loyal fans are supposed to do. But Louisa is..., well..., always Louisa. A tough out, week in week out. Courtland is pretty darn predictable. They try to do what they do, and always try to do it well. But when they can't, they don't seem to be able to adjust. Louisa knows this, and will be prepared. Louisa is darn good at being prepared, if you hadn't noticed. Sorry Lewis, I don't see this upset happening.

Even though I took Hampton, my upset would be Kecoughtan winning this one.

Well gang, after tonight, just four more nights before there is some real football being played somewhere. It's been a LONG off season, hasn't it?

For some unknown reason, I've always rooted for the Smithfield Packers. I know in recent years it's because of my good buddy GWB. But, I liked them before I got to know him.

Sadly, GWB doesn't have good things to say about where the program is headed. Consequently, I just couldn't pick them this week.

I see that I'm in the minority in picking Centreville. I know very little about teams up that way, but they seem to have a lot of returning starters.

I struggled with MV vs LCA. In the end, I think LCA will be much improved, and I feel like MV has lost their swagger in the last few years.

The Courtland faithful always feel like that "this is their year!" And they should. That's what loyal fans are supposed to do. But Louisa is..., well..., always Louisa. A tough out, week in week out. Courtland is pretty darn predictable. They try to do what they do, and always try to do it well. But when they can't, they don't seem to be able to adjust. Louisa knows this, and will be prepared. Louisa is darn good at being prepared, if you hadn't noticed. Sorry Lewis, I don't see this upset happening.

Even though I took Hampton, my upset would be Kecoughtan winning this one.

Well gang, after tonight, just four more nights before there is some real football being played somewhere. It's been a LONG off season, hasn't it?
It’s fine I will just change my pick but I’m not going against my GW Eagles lol!!!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Nor I against the Generals.

It should be a hell of a game. Forecast isn't great, but I've seen hotter opening games. 89 for the high, but no rain forecast. Visiting side faces East, so it will be a lot better at KO on your side.

Nor I against the Generals.

It should be a hell of a game. Forecast isn't great, but I've seen hotter opening games. 89 for the high, but no rain forecast. Visiting side faces East, so it will be a lot better at KO on your side.
Will be a hell of game and no one on both teams gets injured! As far as attendance how many fans show up for the Generals heard it was a lot but number wise what would you say?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Hard to predict, being Labor Day weekend. A lot of folks have there final vacation next week, because we don't start school until the following Tuesday. If it was a couple of weeks later I would say a total crowd of 2000 or better would be a good guess. If we have 1000-1200 paying fans on our side next week, that would be a decent crowd.

I've leaned to not predict the turnout. For games when I expect a huge crowd, I find myself saying, where is everybody? And the next week when I think the crowd will be unusually small, they are steadily streaming through the turnstiles. Go figure!

I get to know the total ticket sales on the Monday after the home games, so I've gotten pretty good at estimating the actual attendance at game time. But predicting...? That's a whole different deal.

Incidently, we do have a home game that could be a boom or a bust. I think it's in early Oct., the County Fair is going on at the same time as the game. Not a good deal for either, but it is what it is.

Minor issue : Lafayette/ Goochland is Friday not Thursday. Warhill home to Heritage NN is on Thursday at Wanner Stadium.

Thank you @Lafayette I fixed the error. The VHSL Master schedule had both games listed as Thur IIRC.

Come on gang, send in your picks. I know there is plenty of time left, but don't wait until the last minute and then forget.

How many did we start the season with last year Mike? 63 sticks in my brain. Only 12 so far. A lot of folks need to get busy. Remember, you can edit later if you change your mind, so get your picks in.

Come on gang, send in your picks. I know there is plenty of time left, but don't wait until the last minute and then forget.

How many did we start the season with last year Mike? 63 sticks in my brain. Only 12 so far. A lot of folks need to get busy. Remember, you can edit later if you change your mind, so get your picks in.

I don’t think Dinwiddie will come within 2TD’s of GW this year IMO! I’ve watched film and seen holes that Dinwiddie have no offense to General fans. GW’s running game will be a problem for the Generals and our WR are just too much for them this year! ;)

Having seen what Life Christian did to GW,how in the world can you make these statements. Dinwiddie is better than LCA! Plus...the game is AT Dinwiddie too!
GW has never played Life Christian, that was EC Glass. And I don’t have a dog in the fight but have you seen Dinwiddie’s rosters compared to Life’s roster. Cmon man! We get you don’t like LCA but the slander makes you lose credibility.

I have a lot of respect for the Generals program but they are young and that’s going to play a major factor I know some people will disagree with me but you will learn come Friday! Home field advantage is great but they still have to stop Graves RB, Watlington Brothers at WR on both ends, Edmonds(which you have not seen in any scrimmages) GW DL is just all around better than recent years! I’m going out on a limb and saying if GW loses this game I would really be shocked!!!

I don’t think Dinwiddie will come within 2TD’s of GW this year IMO! I’ve watched film and seen holes that Dinwiddie have no offense to General fans. GW’s running game will be a problem for the Generals and our WR are just too much for them this year! ;)
GW has to do it first. As talented as they are, they haven’t beaten a good team since they beat Courtland in 2014. If you want to dig deeper, they haven’t beaten a real good team since they beat Varina in 2007. That’s 12 years. Dinwiddie isn’t the Dinwiddie of 3-4 years ago but GW normally plays down to the level of their competition.

GW has to do it first. As talented as they are, they haven’t beaten a good team since they beat Courtland in 2014. If you want to dig deeper, they haven’t beaten a real good team since they beat Varina in 2007. That’s 12 years. Dinwiddie isn’t the Dinwiddie of 3-4 years ago but GW normally plays down to the level of their competition.
I understand what your saying but this year I will take GW by 2-3 TD’s

Reactions: NDRam
I have a lot of respect for the Generals program but they are young and that’s going to play a major factor I know some people will disagree with me but you will learn come Friday! Home field advantage is great but they still have to stop Graves RB, Watlington Brothers at WR on both ends, Edmonds(which you have not seen in any scrimmages) GW DL is just all around better than recent years! I’m going out on a limb and saying if GW loses this game I would really be shocked!!!
Just don't go betting your hair!

No one wouldn’t listen to me last year when I was telling you about the basketball team and I’m telling you now this game won’t be close!!! I know when my team is not as good as the rest of the state but everyone will be put on notice come Friday!

Now if you were meaning if you made a bet with someone on here and lost, no I don't want your hair haha. Good luck to both teams as I don't care who wins
Yes I would shave my head and post it to my Twitter account and Mike could verify because he follows me!!!! But whoever takes this bet needs to able to do the same on some platform

Reactions: mike salem
Yes I would shave my head and post it to my Twitter account and Mike could verify because he follows me!!!! But whoever takes this bet needs to able to do the same on some platform

Well I am glad you got the joke in the 1st one, I don't know if you did in 2nd. I'm saying that if you did lose your hair from bet I don't want the hair.

It was all because of how you worded it lol "... bet my hair, any takers." I know you meant anyone want to take the bet, but there are other ways to joke about it haha

Reactions: Lewis918777
Well I am glad you got the joke in the 1st one, I don't know if you did in 2nd. I'm saying that if you did lose your hair from bet I don't want the hair.

It was all because of how you worded it lol "... bet my hair, any takers." I know you meant anyone want to take the bet, but there are other ways to joke about it haha
I got it you didn’t actually want my hair

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT