ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Droughts

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Inspired by a sports radio show I was listening to the other day on NFL playoff droughts.

What better time to talk about these things than now? The season is on the horizon, getting closer everyday and once the season gets here we will be talking games, players, etc... lost will be subjects like this so lets dive into the Class 4 teams.

These teams have gone the longest without even making the playoffs!

2011 for Park View (Sterling)
2016 for Denbigh
2017 for Charlottesville, Dominion & Jamestown.
2018 for Courtland, George Wythe (Richmond) & Gloucester.

See any of these teams busting through in 2023?

As for teams with the longest losing streak in the playoffs?

Halifax has not won a playoff game since winning it all in 1991, 9 straight losses.
Orange hasn't won a playoff game this century, 8 straight losses going back to 1998.
Powhatan surprisingly enough has 8 straight losses dating back to 2011.
John Handley has dropped 7 straight dating back to 2010.
Huguenot's last playoff was back in 2005, 6 straight losses.

See any of these teams snapping their streak in 2023?

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Courtland's drought shocks me a bit, but EV and King George have dominated the Battlefield of late. The Region B playoffs are tough to get in must less win a game. Powhatan has been good of late, but they will struggle to make the playoffs this year. My bets on Halifax or Handley. Both teams have a shot.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Park View is a weird one. They've never been as good as they were in the 80s and 90s when they won a state title and played for three others but they've never been awful until fairly recently when it seems like they just can't hire the right coach. For a program that's existed since the late 70s, nearly 40% (84) of their program's losses (222) have come since 2012, which is a staggering amount and mind you, they had such low turnout in 2018 the season was cancelled.

Huguenot snaps their streak this year.
I thought about the Falcons, but they would have to be a top four team to avoid playing Dinwiddie, Varina, or King George in the first round. In order to get a top four seed they would likely have to go 8-2 in the regular season. I guess it's possible. They are recruiting well. This may not end well. I just don't see the Region B coaches putting up with it.

I mean, what records typically make the playoffs for 7/8 seeds in B? Their absolute ceiling next year is 7-3 and I'll believe that when I see it. Does 5-5 or 6-4 make it in?

2023 Regular season records, seeds, and Districts.

#1 Dinwiddie 10-0 Central
#2 King George 10-0 Battlefield
#3 Varina 9-1 Capital
#4 Hanover 8-2 Capital
#5 Eastern View 8-2 Battlefield
#6 Matoaca 6-4 Central
#7 Patrick Henry 6-4 Capital
#8. Powhatan 6-4 Dominion

Park View is a weird one. They've never been as good as they were in the 80s and 90s when they won a state title and played for three others but they've never been awful until fairly recently when it seems like they just can't hire the right coach. For a program that's existed since the late 70s, nearly 40% (84) of their program's losses (222) have come since 2012, which is a staggering amount and mind you, they had such low turnout in 2018 the season was cancelled.
Demographics went against them. Unless they do a Freedom-Woodbridge and find coaches with connections who can get players from elsewhere in the county there's not much chance of a turnaround.

2023 Regular season records, seeds, and Districts.

#1 Dinwiddie 10-0 Central
#2 King George 10-0 Battlefield
#3 Varina 9-1 Capital
#4 Hanover 8-2 Capital
#5 Eastern View 8-2 Battlefield
#6 Matoaca 6-4 Central
#7 Patrick Henry 6-4 Capital
#8. Powhatan 6-4 Dominion
Matoaca is in group 5 this year.

I thought about the Falcons, but they would have to be a top four team to avoid playing Dinwiddie, Varina, or King George in the first round. In order to get a top four seed they would likely have to go 8-2 in the regular season. I guess it's possible. They are recruiting well. This may not end well. I just don't see the Region B coaches putting up with it.
Well stated. Are the other schools that are hurt because of the recruiting going to stay silent? Can they afford to risk the finger pointing at them for past accusations?

A bunch of crap on the horizon. What are we going to do with our spare time in the fall Danny?

Park View in Sterling, VA students are not interested in football, more soccer oriented. Expect the streak to continue.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT