ADVERTISEMENT

Playoffs 2016

WP02alum

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 22, 2009
How will 5A football playoffs be scheduled next year? Are we going back to four regions & having the state handle a final four once again like it used to be? Will the calendar have to shift at all from this past season or will it simply be a regional format difference with the same weekends?

How will 5A football playoffs be scheduled next year? Are we going back to four regions & having the state handle a final four once again like it used to be? Will the calendar have to shift at all from this past season or will it simply be a regional format difference with the same weekends?
The member schools have the right to alter the format. For instance, 4a west chose a different playoff format last year. They could change again this year if the majority voted for another change.

So the answer is, probably no changes in 5a, but still a possibility.

As far as dates, the VHSL has a master calendar that all schools, districts, conferences, and regions must adhere to. So, the dates will be either the same as last year, or one day different. I haven't looked, and I don't know how this year being leap year affected the dates. But, any change is minimal.

The change back to regions, and the dissolving of conferences, takes place for the 2017-2018 school year. And the regions may very well decide on different playoff formats. I have been told, that the VHSL simply tells the member schools to send us four teams per division, (groups), for the semi-state championship games. And how you get down to them is up to you.

The member schools have the right to alter the format. For instance, 4a west chose a different playoff format last year. They could change again this year if the majority voted for another change.

So the answer is, probably no changes in 5a, but still a possibility.

As far as dates, the VHSL has a master calendar that all schools, districts, conferences, and regions must adhere to. So, the dates will be either the same as last year, or one day different. I haven't looked, and I don't know how this year being leap year affected the dates. But, any change is minimal.

The change back to regions, and the dissolving of conferences, takes place for the 2017-2018 school year. And the regions may very well decide on different playoff formats. I have been told, that the VHSL simply tells the member schools to send us four teams per division, (groups), for the semi-state championship games. And how you get down to them is up to you.

Cool, so one more year of the current 2-Region setup?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT