ADVERTISEMENT

PLEASE READ: High School Coaches

I’ve seen a few kids from NoVA refer to it as VPI. A lot of kids just don’t know. You’d be surprised at the number of athletes going to these schools who can’t even write a legible paragraph. My point is, teach them the right way so they don’t look and sound like they don’t belong.

Edit: if you’re gonna add University to it, then say Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University… Virginia Tech University isn’t correct.

Last edited:
While we are on the topic, allow me to tell you exactly how it is out here in the business world.

First, the vast majority of the applicants we receive are really decent kids, from a moral and ethical standpoint. Sadly, that is about where the good news stops. Almost all are naive about common sense stuff. This may sound silly, but here are a couple of examples. They are lost when you tell them that their tags are about to expire on their car, or your tire is low, puts some air in it at the shop and have someone look at it and see if it can be plugged. Typically, they are clueless and just stare at you with their mouth open.

Now, tell those kids what to do, and they will do a good job. The point is, this is the type of kids we are sending out of high school into the workforce. They are are so far behind in accountability, common sense, and most of all the “figure it out for yourself“ attitude.

I have fussed on the high school level, and on the college level, to the point I’m out of words. But, I’m not giving up.

For others looking for young employees, I’ll give you a couple of tips that have worked for me. Find a kid that was serious about an athletic activity, that was taught by a tough coach that held them accountable. And keep your eyes open for kids that were officers at the local or state level of the FFA. I also keep my ears open about a kid that is active in scouting. Especially a boy (or girl now), that has achieved Eagle Scout status, or for girls in scouting that earned the Gold Award, (formally know as the Golden Eaglet of Merit Award).

Another tip to those of you that are looking for employees, or want to help kids to have a better chance to land a decent job with upside potential, join as many advisory committees as you can. My self and my Director of Operations are active in several committees on the high school and college level, and on state sponsored programs that have an impact on student outcome, plus numerous committees and groups that directly affect the preparation of kids for the real world of a working environment.

Incidently, my Director of Operations is an Eagle Scout, and a former state officer in the FFA, and he is currently the President of the local FFA alumni that is extremely active. I have two former Dinwiddie football players, and I don't need to tell you that they work their ass off and always “find a way”. I’ve got my eye on another player, that incidently was All State this year in football. I’ve got a guy working for me that was an engine tuner and pit crewman on a National Championship Drag Racing team. Another that has retired from Phillip Morris AND Dominion Energy, and is a grizzled old vet from the Viet Nam war. (And seriously, when he was in Nam, he was never officially there. So that explains a lot about what he was doing.) Another that works for me has a JROTC background.

So what’s my point? If you are young, get involved with something that interest you. If you are an employer, investigate your potential employee and see what they have done other than going through the motions. And finally, for business people, get involved. Don’t bitch about the poor quality of the candidates but do nothing more than gripe, Get off your ass and get involved.

Last edited:
While we are on the topic, allow me to tell you exactly how it is out here in the business world.

First, the vast majority of the applicants we receive are really decent kids, from a moral and ethical standpoint. Sadly, that is about where the good news stops. Almost all are naive about common sense stuff. This may sound silly, but here are a couple of examples. They are lost when you tell them that their tags are about to expire on their car, or your tire is low, puts some air in it at the shop and have someone look at it and see if it can be plugged. Typically, they are clueless and just stare at you with their mouth open.

Now, tell those kids what to do, and they will do a good job. The point is, this is the type of kids we are sending out of high school into the workforce. They are are so far behind in accountability, common sense, and most of all the “figure it out for yourself“ attitude.

I have fussed on the high school level, and on the college level, to the point I’m out of words. But, I’m not giving up.

For others looking for young employees, I’ll give you a couple of tips that have worked for me. Find a kid that was serious about an athletic activity, that was taught by a tough coach that held them accountable. And keep your eyes open for kids that were officers at the local or state level of the FFA. I also keep my ears open about a kid that is active in scouting. Especially a boy (or girl now), that has achieved Eagle Scout status, or for girls in scouting that earned the Gold Award, (formally know as the Golden Eaglet of Merit Award).

Another tip to those of you that are looking for employees, or want to help kids to have a better chance to land a decent job with upside potential, join as many advisory committees as you can. My self and my Director of Operations are active in several committees on the high school and college level, and on state sponsored programs that have an impact on student outcome, plus numerous committees and groups that directly affect the preparation of kids for the real world of a working environment.

Incidently, my Director of Operations is an Eagle Scout, and a former state officer in the FFA, and he is currently the President of the local FFA alumni that is extremely active. I have two former Dinwiddie football players, and I don't need to tell you that they work their ass off and always “find a way”. I’ve got my eye on another player, that incidently was All State this year in football. I’ve got a guy working for me that was an engine tuner and pit crewman on a National Championship Drag Racing team. Another that has retired from Phillip Morris AND Dominion Energy, and is a grizzled old vet from the Viet Nam war. (And seriously, when he was in Nam, he was never officially there. So that explains a lot about what he was doing.) Another that works for me has a JROTC background.

So what’s my point? If you are young, get involved with something that interest you. If you are an employer, investigate your potential employee and see what they have done other than going through the motions. And finally, for business people, get involved. Don’t bitch about the poor quality of the candidates but do nothing more than gripe, Get off your ass and get involved.
Perfectly said DP, thank you for this brother. This too is so important.

I’m a school counselor and work with these athletes. For those who don’t know, these kids still have to fill out a college application even if they do get a full ride offer to go to that school. Most don’t capitalize their names, street address and school they attend, write like they text, they misspell words, don’t care to proofread or my favorite.. “i go to timbercreek highschool”… So yes, @EPJr, it’s very cringy and sad that young adults can’t read, spell and fill out a simple application. I go hard for this as a HUGE majority are our black students and we must teach them because they are already viewed as just athletes to attend these universities.

Rant complete!

Perfectly said DP, thank you for this brother. This too is so important.

I’m a school counselor and work with these athletes. For those who don’t know, these kids still have to fill out a college application even if they do get a full ride offer to go to that school. Most don’t capitalize their names, street address and school they attend, write like they text, they misspell words, don’t care to proofread or my favorite.. “i go to timbercreek highschool”… So yes, @EPJr, it’s very cringy and sad that young adults can’t read, spell and fill out a simple application. I go hard for this as a HUGE majority are our black students and we must teach them because they are already viewed as just athletes to attend these universities.

Rant complete!
How many times has it been said? Virtually none of these kids will make a living from football. But every one of them will need to make a living.

And just like they compete for playing time, they compete for jobs and promotions. They might slide by in some civil service or some government jobs, but in the real business world it’s “produce” “improve” or “goodbye, we will mail you your final check!”

As a "veteran/seasoned/valued" employee, I'm asked to review resumes and participate on interview panels. It's been a really interesting shift over the last 10 years. Candidates that wouldn't have made it through the initial screening 10 years ago, have become, in some instances our best candidates. My favorite part? Feel like dropping the F-bomb during your interview? LET IT FLY!!! These young'ns don't care... Disclaimer: NOT EVERY candidate has been this way, but WOW have I seen some interesting interviews.
This topic could get out of control in a hurry. LOL!

As a "veteran/seasoned/valued" employee, I'm asked to review resumes and participate on interview panels. It's been a really interesting shift over the last 10 years. Candidates that wouldn't have made it through the initial screening 10 years ago, have become, in some instances our best candidates. My favorite part? Feel like dropping the F-bomb during your interview? LET IT FLY!!! These young'ns don't care... Disclaimer: NOT EVERY candidate has been this way, but WOW have I seen some interesting interviews.
This topic could get out of control in a hurry. LOL!
No doubt that many of us on this forum have experiences just like you, gwb. I just shake my head when I deal with young people for entry level jobs. But, some of the candidates for mid to upper level leadership positions just astound me. Maybe I’m just a dinosaur for some of my expectations, but my standards are what they are, and I will not bend.

I’m also on the Board of Directors for a scholarship fund. Don’t you think that applicants would at least check for spelling errors and proper grammar? Nope, not usually.

Back to the point of this thread. Coaches, set the example. Act in a manner that when the kids emulate you they shine. Demand that your kids pay attention to details in EVERYTHING they do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT