ADVERTISEMENT

Poquoson travels to Riverheads?

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I assume this is correct? Riverheads had the higher regular season power points rating?

Regardless, I’m rooting for those rough and tumble kids from down by the bay. They earned my respect years ago when we played an away/home series against them. The kids were tough, but good sports, and the fans were intensely loyal, but very respectful. They have a challenge ahead of them. But, who know’s, that is why they play the games.

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
Poquoson is a threat in every game. I remember them coming to Staunton a few years ago and gave a damn good Storm team all they wanted. They were overlooked that year a bit but this year could be even more dangerous. A killer schedule has them prepared to play against and beat anyone so it should be a good one next week in G’ville.

This game may look a lot like CW game . If Riverheads gets any teams D on their heals , it's over ! LB's must go to the mesh point. Snooze you loose . Red Team Big in this one . JMO

Reactions: 38SuperPower
Anytime RIverheads takes on someone, from what I’ve seen on film and a few times in Salem, I have to give them a nod as being the favored. Offense is unique. A combo of wing t and double wing double tight. Their on unique blend and very well executed. Think it’s just like in the old days when wing t was dominate. They have perfected what they do. Now if you wan to beat them, your dang Jimmy’s and Joes better be prepared. I don’t mean better athletes better prepared to get mauled. Because that’s what’s going to happen. Someone mentioned seeing Poqouson in Staunton. Staunton sure as hell wasn’t a Riverheads team. Better athletes perhaps but a lot softer and nowhere as near detail oriented. Saw Poquoson dismantle Richlands a few years back in Lynchburg. Once again Richlands not RH.

Count Poquoson out and that's making a mistake. Poquoson has the ability to beat Riverheads. I picked Riverheads in the pickem, and still do, but Poquoson can win the game. They led Lafayette by 10 point with 5 minutes left. That's all you need to know about Poquoson. Any Class 2 team that can do that is a very good football team.

Count Poquoson out and that's making a mistake. Poquoson has the ability to beat Riverheads. I picked Riverheads in the pickem, and still do, but Poquoson can win the game. They led Lafayette by 10 point with 5 minutes left. That's all you need to know about Poquoson. Any Class 2 team that can do that is a very good football team.
Riverheads won't take any team lightly, u make the final 4 you have a great team, if u can beat poquson, u will have a tough time with Radford or union or graham, that game today will be a dogfight, and the winner of that will have a dogfight vs Radford, so dogfights here on out, any team can win. GO BIG RED

Riverheads will of course have the task of coming back down to earth from what I am sure was a VERY emotional win last night. Many a team on many a level has had a big win one week and fallen flat the next so they will have to avoid that pitfall. The key to this game will be which team can adjust to the other the fastest and best. With no common opponents to refer to, it seems to me as if it will be a pretty darn hard game to predict.

Anytime RIverheads takes on someone, from what I’ve seen on film and a few times in Salem, I have to give them a nod as being the favored. Offense is unique. A combo of wing t and double wing double tight. Their on unique blend and very well executed. Think it’s just like in the old days when wing t was dominate. They have perfected what they do. Now if you wan to beat them, your dang Jimmy’s and Joes better be prepared. I don’t mean better athletes better prepared to get mauled. Because that’s what’s going to happen. Someone mentioned seeing Poqouson in Staunton. Staunton sure as hell wasn’t a Riverheads team. Better athletes perhaps but a lot softer and nowhere as near detail oriented. Saw Poquoson dismantle Richlands a few years back in Lynchburg. Once again Richlands not RH.
Dismantle? Thats a little strong as the final score was 23-17 and richlands had 150 yds in penalties. And the final drive was moving the ball extremely well which saw 3 holding calls to put them in 4th and 30+. But no doubt that poqouson team was a tough football playing bunch. As i posted in another thread if this years team is anywhere near as talented and well coached as that 2010 team then they will be a hard out.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
That 2010 for both Richlands and Poqouson both had a lot of talented players. Think not had several kids to go onto various universities and played several sports. If memory holds me correct Richlands led at halftime. Poqouson came out and ran the ball heavily while Richlands relied on the spread. Personally I thought Richlands was very talented. What I meant by dismantled, was Poqouson ran the ball keeping it from Richlands. I thought the 2015 and think somewhere around 2017 Richlands had two very good teams. Remember watching the game with Appotomax that was a mail biter.

Poquoson LIVES for the underdog title. Those kids feed off of it. I've watched it for years. They're never the biggest team but they are coached EXTREMELY well and play fundamental football as good as any team in the state.
They're battle tested. They're never intimidated. Interesting fact...that attitude transcends every sport at Poquoson High.

Poquoson LIVES for the underdog title. Those kids feed off of it. I've watched it for years. They're never the biggest team but they are coached EXTREMELY well and play fundamental football as good as any team in the state.
They're battle tested. They're never intimidated. Interesting fact...that attitude transcends every sport at Poquoson High.
Yep.

That Class 3 team, (Lafayette) that Poquoson led just a few weeks ago by 10 points with 5 or 6 minutes left won 49-0 today over Heritage of Newport News and advanced to the state semis.

Reactions: gwb16
They also barely won vs the 8 seed and 4 seed in regionals — one game does not make a team either way.

Why do the east teams never have their games on nfhs?
Each school has to agree to allow it. Plus, at stadiums like Darling, it’s a multi-use facility, so that complicates things.
If I’m correct, there is no cost to the schools. In fact, the school actually gets a few dollars in return.

I spent many years following Poquoson and was at the Staunton game. Staunton had much more talent. Poquoson had better technique. Discipline got Poquoson to the game, but just a couple of lapses in discipline cost them the game, it was that close.

You're absolutely right. That Staunton team is not this year's Riverheads team. Aside from a couple of players for the Gladiators, that Staunton team was more talented. However, Riverheads is the well oiled machine that Staunton was not.

Poquoson makes its living beating bigger, faster teams in the Bay Rivers District that aren't as hyper focused on the fundamentals of blocking and tackling. Riverheads does those things well, so this may present a problem for the Islanders.

I love both teams, but I don't think the boys from Bull Island have seen anything like what Riverheads does. Poquoson will make Riverheads earn it, but earn it they will, as they always have. I think it will be a low scoring game but Riverheads wins 21-6.

They also barely won vs the 8 seed and 4 seed in regionals — one game does not make a team either way.
You're sadly, grossly underestimating that #4 seed. King William played the toughest 2A schedule in the state this year. That was the Regional Championship game...ask anyone on the Poquoson coaching staff.... they'll agree.

But please.... continue to underestimate those Bull Islanders.... they're OK with it. And if that's what you need to tell yourself to make you feel confident... they're good with that. 👍

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I spent many years following Poquoson and was at the Staunton game. Staunton had much more talent. Poquoson had better technique. Discipline got Poquoson to the game, but just a couple of lapses in discipline cost them the game, it was that close.

You're absolutely right. That Staunton team is not this year's Riverheads team. Aside from a couple of players for the Gladiators, that Staunton team was more talented. However, Riverheads is the well oiled machine that Staunton was not.

Poquoson makes its living beating bigger, faster teams in the Bay Rivers District that aren't as hyper focused on the fundamentals of blocking and tackling. Riverheads does those things well, so this may present a problem for the Islanders.

I love both teams, but I don't think the boys from Bull Island have seen anything like what Riverheads does. Poquoson will make Riverheads earn it, but earn it they will, as they always have. I think it will be a low scoring game but Riverheads wins 21-6.
That's a good analysis. The only way you beat Poquoson is by playing disciplined football. And DO NOT allow them to get into your head because they're going to be jawing from the opening kickoff! 😂😂😂
I can't tell you how many PF penalities I've seen their opponents get over the YEARS of watching them play.

Reactions: obguthr
Funny how Riverheads is right back in the final 4 in class 2 with all the talk of them the past several years not being able to do it in class 2. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they don't have another ring when it's all said and done.
I think that was more of people saying they should not be in 1A. 1A overall is pretty weak and aside for a team here and there, that has been the case for a while. I think Essex runs away with it this year. Region C and D do not have a team you should be scared of.

Graham would have "probably" beat Riverheads last year. Year to year it is hard to say how many they would have won in 2a. I assume a couple at least. Nobody who follows football actual thought they would struggle in 2a, get off the Riverheads against the world narrative.

They will always be a tough out running that offense. As long as they have serviceable OL and tough runners. Controlling the clock and physically pounding the opposing teams Dline all game can wear on teams. I am not saying they run the tush push, I am just saying they are very similar in how they lineup and block over and over and over and over and over..... again.

My prediction is Riverheads vs Graham in the final. I am not sure Graham can stop a long drive from Riverheads. I watched them against Pulaski and if not for a lot of fumbles, Pulaski moved the ball fairly easy on them. With that said, I am not sure Riverheads can stop Clements. Union had nothing for him. We could see the semi's and finals all being high scoring.

Any of the final 4 will make for a great game in the final.

The "tush push", or its technical term "aiding the runner" has been a bit of a thorn in the side of Riverheads this year. In one game, I forget which one, the Big Red was flagged for it at least half a dozen times as it became one ref's pet call that night.

Friday night at Central we thought briefly that it might be deja vu all over again when it was called on something like our third or fourth play. But fortunately we never got flagged for it again.

The "tush push", or its technical term "aiding the runner" has been a bit of a thorn in the side of Riverheads this year. In one game, I forget which one, the Big Red was flagged for it at least half a dozen times as it became one ref's pet call that night.

Friday night at Central we thought briefly that it might be deja vu all over again when it was called on something like our third or fourth play. But fortunately we never got flagged for it again.
Interesting. I did not notice that during my scan of the game.

This thread is about Poquson playing Riverheads in a state semifinal. Anyone overlooking Poquson does so at their own risk. They literally were leading semifinalist Lafayette 14-0 late in that game. I am a homer and think this team has a good shot to win but as longtime stated, coming off an emotional win that frankly meant something internally to this group, we are set up for a letdown game if not careful. I do not think the coaches or players will fall in that trap but many a team has fallen to this scenario.

Having watched some of Poquson, they are crisp and play assignment football. Rarely make mistakes or are caught out of position. I disagree with whoever it is that keeps talking about them having tons of speed. I feel that both them and Riverheads would be at a disadvantage versus the two teams in the other semifinal.

IMO I feel it will be close early with the slight size advantage the Gladiators have on the line starting to take its toll by late 2nd early 3rd quarter. I wont predict a score until i study a bit more

Poquoson doesn't have a stand out speedster with alarming speed such as Clements from Graham, but they are deceptively fast. They are deceptively fast because the entire team can run. The RB, WR's, the Linebackers, the Secondary, the Defensive Lineman can all move and move in a hurry. If we look at team speed by measuring the 3 fastest kids such as Radford and Graham, sure Graham and Radford look fast and they are fast. The thing about Poquoson is, the entire team just plays fast. Watch when a team like Lafayette goes out for a pass and how fast the secondary of Poquoson closes. Watch how a Lafayette RB looks to have a step around the edge and how fast the linebackers for Poquoson close on the running back. I think they are way faster than people realize or give them credit for. Watch the Defensive Tackle in the 2nd quarter of the Lafayette game close on the opposite side of the play on the RB. That's the kind of speed I'm talking about with Poquoson. Call is speed or athleticism, but they have it.

Absolutely, they play phenomenal team defense with all of them flowing very well. I dont think they will be fooled on any play and are always where they are supposed to be. I have watched a pile of video and they have two or three that have wheels but I dont see that separation that you see with the top end guys. Hell we dont have that either so I aint hating on that at all. I love the way they play and look forward to the matchup. And i will go ahead and say this too, speed when in open space is one thing, being fast/quick in tight spots is a skill that some do not look for. I feel they have that type of speed

Poquoson doesn't have a stand out speedster with alarming speed such as Clements from Graham, but they are deceptively fast. They are deceptively fast because the entire team can run. The RB, WR's, the Linebackers, the Secondary, the Defensive Lineman can all move and move in a hurry. If we look at team speed by measuring the 3 fastest kids such as Radford and Graham, sure Graham and Radford look fast and they are fast. The thing about Poquoson is, the entire team just plays fast. Watch when a team like Lafayette goes out for a pass and how fast the secondary of Poquoson closes. Watch how a Lafayette RB looks to have a step around the edge and how fast the linebackers for Poquoson close on the running back. I think they are way faster than people realize or give them credit for. Watch the Defensive Tackle in the 2nd quarter of the Lafayette game close on the opposite side of the play on the RB. That's the kind of speed I'm talking about with Poquoson. Call is speed or athleticism, but they have it.
The wing back for Poquoson is going to run track in college, so obviously he has speed. Poquoson is very physical and fundamentally sound. I just am not sure they have enough offense. It'll have to be a low scoring game like the first RH-Central game for them to emerge victorious in my opinion.

Reactions: uvacavs1 and gwb16
The wing back for Poquoson is going to run track in college, so obviously he has speed. Poquoson is very physical and fundamentally sound. I just am not sure they have enough offense. It'll have to be a low scoring game like the first RH-Central game for them to emerge victorious in my opinion.
Yeah, I think to beat Riverheads, you have to have good lineplay and linebackers who don't get sucked up into the traffic.

Reactions: gwb16 and TS69
Pulling for Poquoson, but they have their work cut out for 'em...still a very good season, regardless of the outcome, especially since three impact players did not return.

As we creep ever closer what say the masses? The weather will be wonderful for this time of year with high 50's-low 60's forecast. Just glad there will be no rain

Fingers crossed. Supposed to be some light rain both Friday and Sunday but none on Saturday. Even expected to be cloudy so that no one will get a sunburn or lose a punt in the sun!

Reactions: oldfool2
I have no idea who wins this game. But make no mistake, Poquoson is no stranger to the wing-t or double wing. They have run it for decades themselves(no idea if they still are) and they have to defend Lafayette's version of it every year.

I think this game is a pick-em on a neutral field, but since it's in Greenville, give me the Red team by a FG in a game that takes less than an hour and 45 minutes to play.

Reactions: uvacavs1
I have no idea who wins this game. But make no mistake, Poquoson is no stranger to the wing-t or double wing. They have run it for decades themselves(no idea if they still are) and they have to defend Lafayette's version of it every year.

I think this game is a pick-em on a neutral field, but since it's in Greenville, give me the Red team by a FG in a game that takes less than an hour and 45 minutes to play.
It may be the fastest semi final game in VHSL history lol. I think Riverheads wins by a score but that’s solely based on CCC and past performance.

I have watched a pile of film on Poquoson and they arent flashy but they get it done over and over. I do see where they like to talk between plays, but I didn't see anything over the top with that either. I feel it will be a tight game and frankly if there are turnovers (I say if because neither turn it over a bunch) that could be the thing to make a difference. I see a race to 21 again this week and I am seeing 3 maybe 4 possessions a half max because both like to control the ball and by proxy the clock. I can't see a complete blowout by either team unless there are multiple turnovers or an unfortunate injury.

I have watched a pile of film on Poquoson and they arent flashy but they get it done over and over. I do see where they like to talk between plays, but I didn't see anything over the top with that either. I feel it will be a tight game and frankly if there are turnovers (I say if because neither turn it over a bunch) that could be the thing to make a difference. I see a race to 21 again this week and I am seeing 3 maybe 4 possessions a half max because both like to control the ball and by proxy the clock. I can't see a complete blowout by either team unless there are multiple turnovers or an unfortunate injury.
Can they (PHS) hit the big play like Riverheads can? In these tight, defensive slugfests with limited possessions, the big play is the ultimate equalizer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT