ADVERTISEMENT

Poquoson vs Central Woodstock

Who wins and why?

• Poquoson

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Central Woodstock

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters
Only reason for choosing Poquoson is because they’re from region A. I do believe they have the skill and defense to win. Central will have to get an early lead and not let Poquoson hang around.

• Haha
Reactions: AnyGivenFriday1969
From everything I have read on here from people. They are disciplined and play with great gap integrity

Reactions: gwb16
Pretty good D line. Their offensive line was great but play well enough for their offense to operate. They weren’t the best offense I’ve seen but defense is great.
Gotcha, I only ask because imo that’s CW strength. They pretty physical vs teams up here.

Doesn’t mean much now, but Poquoson came to CW in 2013. CW won 22-14. Think that was 3A playoffs then.

Reactions: gwb16 and KWcavs360
I believe that was 3a. Poquoson has to be pretty stout defensively holding a explosive KW offense to 7. Defense is both teams strengths I see a 14-10 type of game. Hoping for a CW win for Shenandoah County and the Bull Run. I am a Ram to the core but I pull for the County and Bull Run when we are done.

I know nothing about Poquoson other than them beating Richlands back in 2010, and that they are tough every year. Word up here in SWVA is, you have to beat em on the field, bcause you aren't going to outcoach them. I've heard about their coaching for years, so it has to be good if it reaches this end of the state.

CalPreps has CW winning 26-7 with 88% chance they win. I’m not sure how accurate since they got 3 of the 2A regional championships wrong this week.

CalPreps has CW winning 26-7 with 88% chance they win. I’m not sure how accurate since they got 3 of the 2A regional championships wrong this week.
I just don't see Central winning by 19 over Poquoson. I don't know if they win the game outright.

It's why I picked em to play for the State title in week 1. Huge up front and physical as Hades, loaded with seniors, and a team that gave KW a great battle last year.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
It's why I picked em to play for the State title in week 1. Huge up front and physical as Hades, loaded with seniors, and a team that gave KW a great battle last year.

I was at that Central/King William game last year. Fantastic high school game. Not trying to take anything away from Graham, but at least by the score comparisons that semifinal game were the two best teams in Class 2 last year IMO. Woodsotck almost came back from double digits in the last couple of minutes. That KW running back was insane.

Reactions: KWcavs360
I was at that Central/King William game last year. Fantastic high school game. Not trying to take anything away from Graham, but at least by the score comparisons that semifinal game were the two best teams in Class 2 last year IMO. Woodsotck almost came back from double digits in the last couple of minutes. That KW running back was insane.
We were so spoiled last year! It’s a shame Covid messed up the 2020 season for that team. I agreed tho, central struggled to run the ball but was very proficient at passing the ball. The QB WR combo they had last year was great, they threw it all over the yard. KW has another great one in the making in Zai Shelton, brother of this years KW QB. He’s a 7th grader now but he will be an elite athlete once he’s in high school.

We were so spoiled last year! It’s a shame Covid messed up the 2020 season for that team. I agreed tho, central struggled to run the ball but was very proficient at passing the ball. The QB WR combo they had last year was great, they threw it all over the yard. KW has another great one in the making in Zai Shelton, brother of this years KW QB. He’s a 7th grader now but he will be an elite athlete once he’s in high school.
Yes-that was quite the duo. Both graduated. I remember thinking KW’s d line did a fantastic job limiting Central’s run game.

Falcon’s QB this year is only a sophomore and their stud RB is a junior so they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon.

One thing about Graham and would it have made a difference, I don't know. Graham had basically two first team All State LB's out for that game. One was the QB who couldn't move and he was fast. He played with a broken fibula and was first team All State LB. The other one wasn't All State yet, but he will be first team all State this year. That's a monumental loss when playing against an All American RB when you have what are basically not 1, but 2 All State LB's out. Additionally, the QB position. The team that Appomattox and KW played in Graham was not the same team that they were the first 13 games. Would it have mattered? No way to know, but they were injured at the very worst posiiion you could be injured at when facing a back the caliber of King William and Claiborne.

One thing about Graham and would it have made a difference, I don't know. Graham had basically two first team All State LB's out for that game. One was the QB who couldn't move and he was fast. He played with a broken fibula and was first team All State LB. The other one wasn't All State yet, but he will be first team all State this year. That's a monumental loss when playing against an All American RB when you have what are basically not 1, but 2 All State LB's out. Additionally, the QB position. The team that Appomattox and KW played in Graham was not the same team that they were the first 13 games. Would it have mattered? No way to know, but they were injured at the very worst posiiion you could be injured at when facing a back the caliber of King William and Claiborne.
Credit to KW who won the State Title straight up. They were awesome. The other LB you are talking about is Sawyers, who leads Graham in tackles this year and will be first team All State. He was worthy of All State last year. You just can't lose 2 LB's of that caliber against a KW and that RB and not be effected. Our QB was very fast and threw it well, and he couldn't run, but couldn't even throw the ball past 20 yards. I think the game would have been closer and in contention, but I think that KW was one of the better Class 2 teams I've seen in many years. What history should say? KW is the State Champions and was the Best Team in Class 2 Virginia in 2021 and simple at that.

Hokie1Pokie, I agree with you. I was blown away watching KW in Salem. After the season, I thought to myself how good Central is going to be this year when reading about all the juniors they returned (that are now seniors) and how tight the score was with KW in the semi's. It's hard to beat a senior laden battle tested team and Central is that. Poquoson has it hands full. Anyone know about the Bull Islanders? I read earlier on this board midway in the season that they are actually young?

P.S. Claiborne got much of the headlines and deservingly so, but KW's line was just incredible last year. They were big, strong, and fast and got after the ball at a crazy level for a Class 2 team that you just don't see very often.

I was not aware of the injuries Graham had, definitely makes sense that it would make a big difference in a game like that, who knows what would have happened. Seems like Graham has a great shot to win this year, we'll see what happens! If you made me pick right now, I think it'll be Graham/Central for the title but at this point there is no way to know. Good luck to all four teams.

The teams that gave central trouble and or beat them this year stopped the run first and put pressure on the young quarterback. He can throw it well if he has time, if he is pressured he tends to just throw it up for grabs . That works when you have a Ben Walters, Boyce and Lopez who are taller than most DB's they have faced this year. Not sure how that would play out with Db's that are the same size or taller and play pretty good technique. You have to slow down the bruiser Forbes and the tailback Barahona first if not they will run it down your throat. If it is a close game say tied or Central down by 2-3 at the end of the game. Coach Yew will let Retrosi kick it. In the game against Strasburg in Woodstock Retrosi kicked a 48 yarder that would have been good from 53-55 yards. He gets touchbacks on almost every kickoff. This game will be won in the trenches. When Poquoson has the ball they will need to block Gaige Lewis and Lopez if they do not get them blocked it will be a long day for the Islanders. The Islanders better be able to handle crowd noise as well. All of Shenandoah County will be there and supporting the Falcons. Even this Ram fan because a State Title in the county in Football will be the first ever. We are rivals when playing each other but when there is only one left standing we get behind them. Buckle up it is going to be a slugfest Saturday in Woodstock.

In Strasburg this past Friday the Falcons made some key adjustments from the first matchup and they worked wonderfully for the Falcons. They double teamed the D lineman Holliday and doubled Colby Shaw the two who wrecked havoc in the first matchup. That allowed the running game to be dominant. They forced 2 key fumbles on what would have been 2 touchdowns for the Rams. Central has put it all together at the right time and will be a tough out for anyone moving forward.

Almost gameday any final thoughts on this one. I have to go with Central to get over the hump and play for a state title for the first time in school history for football. Central wins 21-20 because of the strong running of Tyler Forbes and their strong defense.

How does the field hold up with this weather? I am going to say with Centrals run game and line play this is a race to 21. With all due respect, I am not so sure Poquoson can consistently stop then. Should be a great game. Good luck and safe travels to those heading to the game.

How does the field hold up with this weather? I am going to say with Centrals run game and line play this is a race to 21. With all due respect, I am not so sure Poquoson can consistently stop then. Should be a great game. Good luck and safe travels to those heading to the game.
I didn’t think Poquoson could consistently stop KWs running game either but they did all game. Definitely a team no one wants to overlook. They’re not the biggest or the fastest but they play as 1 unit and are pretty good. Good luck to both teams today.

I didn’t think Poquoson could consistently stop KWs running game either but they did all game. Definitely a team no one wants to overlook. They’re not the biggest or the fastest but they play as 1 unit and are pretty good. Good luck to both teams today.
Completely agree. The difference imo is that KW is definitely more speed/cut and running with power at times. Central is smashmouth downhill with a touch of speed occasionally. Minor difference in one sense but could play a part.

The field should be fine. Did not get a lot of rain here. 2-3 years ago when it was constant rain all day and most of the game when they played Strasburg in the playoffs it did not hold up well at all. 4 hours to kickoff and a nice breeze here field should be good to go

A very good season for Poquoson, all things considered...local paper said Central has 20 players weighing 200 pounds, or more, while Poquoson has 1...the Islanders do more w/less better than anyone.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT