ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Season Top 10 Rankings

Amen to that! After last year, It is now seven times that RHS has advanced to the semi-final level, but we have had to travel every single time.

We have won at Surry, at Sussex, at Franklin, at George Wythe, at Galax, and last year at Essex. (And yes I am aware that two of those were played elsewhere because the "host" team could not host on its own field.) So that would leave Giles as our only semi-final loss and then of course there was the 2015 loss in the finals to Galax.

So yes a home game on semi-final Saturday is long overdue.

"William Campbell had Riverheads on the ropes last year" you say? I cannot check my records right this minute but you will have to refresh my memory on that one. I don't recall the Big Red being seriously challenged in the playoffs except for the Essex game.

As for the Gladiators' schedule this year, their toughest game on paper should be Central, and yes that one is at home. I will go along with the thinking that maybe Draft, Lee and Gap, or any combination thereof, "could" be tough games for them, but I still see RHS as the favorite in all three cases.

That does however leave two very tough road games...East Rock and Luray. The Eagles probably have their best shot ever to knock off RHS and Luray returns some quality players as well. I think they had one especially good junior running back last year.

One thing is for sure.....EVERYBODY'S gate receipts should be up this year. RHS will get some great home crowds because of that schedule and the Gladiators travel so well that any school loves to have us visit because of the extra gate and concession money. Rumor has it that Bath County is already making plans to widen the road over the mountain just to accommodate all that extra traffic on the 31st!!!
Go look at your post of the game recap on Nov 25th from the thread RH-WC on Nov 24th. Great as usual, but you said "to put it mildly the Gladiators were in big trouble late in the first half".
Tied at 14 at the half and then WC fumbled the second half away and then it was all over, but I just remembered that the Rosser kid who was the quarterback was all over the place with his speed and strength. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
When the talk is about the future of 1A teams , take a look at the Red Teams jv players !
Huge eight graders . About like Essex 's # 78 but having # 22 !.No joke , not kids with baby fat but young men already . One of the players dads pointed out some of these kids . Don't keep up with the young kids but these kids stand out in a crowd . Should be fun to watch when they grow up . Wonder how many Rings one kid can wear before graduation ?

1) BIG RED MACHINE- They have the crown until it's taken

2) Essex- This should be the year they break out again

3) Galax- Dixon

4) Chilhowie- Alot returning and we'll coached

5) WC- Solid group and we'll coached

6) Sussex- Great coaching and good competition

7) CB- 8) Nu- 9) Franklin - Don't know much about these 3 but seem to be solid teams

10) GW- Extremely young and we've lost ALOT this team worries me so much. The talent is always on the hill but idk how well this group will do until they come together. This may be a long season.

Reactions: obguthr
What about George Wythe? What do they have coming back?
Not a ton we have talent and we can win but the vibes are not good going in. This team will either be a big surprise or they will be the 1st losing record team in 25+ years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT