ADVERTISEMENT

Previous Playoff system

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
Just for fun, but currently if we had the East/West playoffs this is how things would shape up.

A/B
1. Stuarts Draft
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Clarke County
4. Buckingham
5. Greensville
6. Nottoway/Strasburg
7. Nottoway/Strasburg
8. Luray
9. Poquoson
10. East Rockingham
11. King William
12. John Marshall
13. Page County
14. Amelia
15. Nandua
16. Buffalo Gap

C/D
1. Ridgeview
2. Appomattox/Union
3. Appomattox/Union
4. Radford
5. Graham
6. Gretna
7. Central
8. Tazewell
9. Richlands
10. Floyd/Glenvar
11. Floyd/Glenvar
12. Dan River
13. Patrick County
14. Chatham
15. Fort Chiswell
16. Nelson County/James River

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I did this for the C/D bracket. you left out Chatham....who has more points than....Fort Chiswell, Nelson, and James River

I liked east/west better. You got to play a whole lot of different teams. I think that system led to the best championship games. With cross bracketing in final four, there was a greater chance the two best teams met in the end no matter what side (or region as in previous seasons) they were from.

Reactions: swva_havok_fan
Buckingham got to travel to some interesting places in the old model, which I enjoyed! Trip to King William in 2011, played Gate City in 2013 and 2014, Richlands in 2015. The cool thing was creating matchups we would NEVER see in the regular season. Avoid the rematches that are seen often in regional play now. I’d argue all sports need to go back to the East/West model but alas I think it’s gone for good.

That would have had Dan River traveling pretty much to West Virginia to face Graham.

Buckingham got to travel to some interesting places in the old model, which I enjoyed! Trip to King William in 2011, played Gate City in 2013 and 2014, Richlands in 2015. The cool thing was creating matchups we would NEVER see in the regular season. Avoid the rematches that are seen often in regional play now. I’d argue all sports need to go back to the East/West model but alas I think it’s gone for good.
Well said.

Remind me how the teams were paired up. I remember Appo playing Buckingham in 2015 in playoffs whom we also played regular season. Would that have been an abnominally since we were so close to start with.

Remind me how the teams were paired up. I remember Appo playing Buckingham in 2015 in playoffs whom we also played regular season. Would that have been an abnominally since we were so close to start with.
In 2015, Buckingham traveled to Richlands in 2nd round, then Appo hosted Richlands in 3rd round.

Your correct i just looked on fourseasons. Dont know why but i thought we played them and won in OT same as Richlands game. Old age i guess.

Reactions: Union_Fan
Your correct i just looked on fourseasons. Dont know why but i thought we played them and won in OT same as Richlands game. Old age i guess.
Moto yall won in OT first game of the regular season 14-7. Stopped us at the goal line a couple of times, and we scored with under 1:00 to play to force OT. An unreal matchup and probably the best game in the rivalry's history maybe!

Moto yall won in OT first game of the regular season 14-7. Stopped us at the goal line a couple of times, and we scored with under 1:00 to play to force OT. An unreal matchup and probably the best game in the rivalry's history maybe!
ok that makes sense to me now lol. I knew it was won in OT, was one hell of a game. Thanks for getting me straight.

Can't forget the 2010 game where we won on last second double pass.

Reactions: moto138
Can't forget the 2010 game where we won on last second double pass.
No doubt Buckingham used to rule the roost, good to see them back again. Hope Appo can stay competitive in coming years and other teams get stronger making for close tight games.

I too liked playing new teams and going to different stadiums.
Plus if the two strongest teams came out of one side they played in the championship.

Like when Appomattox played Richlands in 2016

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Just for fun, but currently if we had the East/West playoffs this is how things would shape up.

A/B
1. Stuarts Draft
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Clarke County
4. Buckingham
5. Greensville
6. Nottoway/Strasburg
7. Nottoway/Strasburg
8. Luray
9. Poquoson
10. East Rockingham
11. King William
12. John Marshall
13. Page County
14. Amelia
15. Nandua
16. Buffalo Gap

C/D
1. Ridgeview
2. Appomattox/Union
3. Appomattox/Union
4. Radford
5. Graham
6. Gretna
7. Central
8. Tazewell
9. Richlands
10. Floyd/Glenvar
11. Floyd/Glenvar
12. Dan River
13. Patrick County
14. Chatham
15. Fort Chiswell
16. Nelson County/James River

Thoughts?
Very interesting matchups that we won't see under the current system. Luray/Poquoson, Clark(e)/Amelia, Gretna/Glenvar, Central/Floyd, Dan River/Graham, just to name a few.

OTOH, teams will get to play for a region championship and have less traveling. I prefer the current system.

Very interesting matchups that we won't see under the current system. Luray/Poquoson, Clark(e)/Amelia, Gretna/Glenvar, Central/Floyd, Dan River/Graham, just to name a few.

OTOH, teams will get to play for a region championship and have less traveling. I prefer the current system.
Gretna/Glenvar is a possibility since they are both in C. ;)

Reactions: obguthr
Whole lotta travel, and that's expensive. The matchups are fun, but I don't mind the rematches if it saves 7-8hr trips.

But in this setup, Union would avoid Graham so may be we should switch back real quick lolol

You know if we hadn’t went to the east/west in 2011 when Gretna won state, they would not have even made playoffs. Goochland, Amelia, Appomattox, and Buckingham all has more power points and they would have been the four taking from Region B the previous year with Gretna being left out in fifth. At least they take eight now instead of four out of each region. From 2006 to 2009 if you made it out of Region B it got easier. That’s why I wished they stuck with East/West.

Reactions: Baseball215
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT