ADVERTISEMENT

Question for 4A North teams

one man

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
With this gap that we've seen in the finals between North-South/West-East, however you wish to separate regions. How long will it take for North teams to start trying to scheduling the South teams during the regular season? Though LT this year and Dinwiddie last year were superior to the best the North had to offer, those two teams were very much superior to the rest of the South as well. It's hard to say as a whole how much better, if at all, the South is from lets say top 8 to top 8. Salem for one, I would think would try to start trying to schedule some Richmond/Tidewater area schools to prepare themselves better for these deep playoff runs. I know it will be difficult as Peninsula district(Phoebus, Heritage) and SE district(Kings Fork, Deep Creek) play in 9 team districts so they only get 1 out of district game to schedule. Those Eastern District(Norfolk, Portsmouth) teams have two or three I think. Even if your not playing LT or Dinwiddie or Phoebus, trying to schedule teams from that area would seem like the thing to do for these Northern powerhouses like Salem, GW, JF, Liberty, Sherando if they want to compete come state title game. Though like I said earlier, when you have a LT this year or Dinwiddie last year, a team that is just that much better than anyone else in the class, regardless of region, it may not matter.

I wonder the same. Like we pointed out before, Louisa had the golden opportunity to play Dinwiddie next year and turned it down, and they'll be in the same region. I do know Charlottesville enthusiastically reached out to LT but LT didn't even respond. C'ville ended up scheduling Dominion. Varina reached out to some teams in our area, and they're the same caliber of team as the East teams.

Honestly no knock on Charlottesville, but playing a 4a team that is .500 isn't real beneficial to us when we have opportunities to play better programs. As a program we are trying to really test ourselves. That is why we have played the last four cycles:
C.D. Hylton
Battlefield
GW-Danville
Amherst
Bird
Phoebus
Oscar Smith

Originally posted by DEVILSLB99:
Honestly no knock on Charlottesville, but playing a 4a team that is .500 isn't real beneficial to us when we have opportunities to play better programs. As a program we are trying to really test ourselves. That is why we have played the last four cycles:
C.D. Hylton
Battlefield
GW-Danville
Amherst
Bird
Phoebus
Oscar Smith
I'm just saying your AD didn't even respond with a "no thanks". Is your OOC schedule set up for next year yet?

I feel like most teams already have their schedules for next year finished, so in order for North teams to begin putting South teams in their schedule. It will take another year or two for North teams to get rid of opponents to make room for the South teams. If I was in control of the situation in any division I would get rid of ultimately playing 7 or 8 games against opponents just in your area and proceed to turn it into a NFL type structure. Gonna use Salem for instance, they play teams like Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, Northside, William Byrd, Carroll County, Pulaski, and C-burg. I say teams need to start having one goal and that is a State Championship so no more playing teams because your a rival or so you can win the RR district. A team like Salem needs to schedule teams like Liberty-Bealton, Sherando, Courtland, GW-Danville and play those teams as their normal scheduled games and stop playing down all the time. Within that schedule they also need to have at least 4 teams of who are from either 4A South, all of 5A, and the possible 6A school. If a team like Salem is ever going to win another State Championship they have to play harder teams in a format like this because at the end of the season nobody could care less who won the River Ridge District, their conference, and the 4A north/south, the only things team want are State Championships and IMO this is the best way to do it. If you are gonna complain about travel costs and all that then you might as well stop wondering why your team didn't win and thats its because you didn't wanna pay a little extra to see some real competition.

Originally posted by west garden:
I feel like most teams already have their schedules for next year finished, so in order for North teams to begin putting South teams in their schedule. It will take another year or two for North teams to get rid of opponents to make room for the South teams. If I was in control of the situation in any division I would get rid of ultimately playing 7 or 8 games against opponents just in your area and proceed to turn it into a NFL type structure. Gonna use Salem for instance, they play teams like Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, Northside, William Byrd, Carroll County, Pulaski, and C-burg. I say teams need to start having one goal and that is a State Championship so no more playing teams because your a rival or so you can win the RR district. A team like Salem needs to schedule teams like Liberty-Bealton, Sherando, Courtland, GW-Danville and play those teams as their normal scheduled games and stop playing down all the time. Within that schedule they also need to have at least 4 teams of who are from either 4A South, all of 5A, and the possible 6A school. If a team like Salem is ever going to win another State Championship they have to play harder teams in a format like this because at the end of the season nobody could care less who won the River Ridge District, their conference, and the 4A north/south, the only things team want are State Championships and IMO this is the best way to do it. If you are gonna complain about travel costs and all that then you might as well stop wondering why your team didn't win and thats its because you didn't wanna pay a little extra to see some real competition.
Nice first post, welcome aboard. I agree with everything you said. It's just that money talks, so no matter what, travel costs and gate money will come first.

He didn't respond because he didn't know what we are doing. I find the games and we are in negotiations with teams. But I see what you're saying I had the same thing happen to us by a lot of teams.

That's a great 1st post

Couldn't agree more. For football purposes, the whole district schedule should be thrown out. For other sports where you have to play teams home and away in the same season, then you want to schedule area teams. If you only have 5 away games in football, you damn sure can make at least 2 or 3 long trips to get a great game and get the return trips the following year. You are also right, try to get some 5A teams from fredricksburg or the ashburn schools, they have played teams from Norfolk to Bealeton to Richmond recently. They won't mind scheduling a team that is 4A as long as that team is going to win 8 or 9 games, the points are just as good as a 5-5 5A team. When I was in HS and still to this day, Liberty(Bedford) always played at least 1 game against a team from another area. We played Nottoway my fr-so year, Dinwiddie jr-sr year, they've scheduled Harrisonburg and Buckingham the past two cycles. Though Hburg has fallen in terms of quality, playing unfamiliar opponents that have different caliber of players as you see in your district slate is only going to help your team get better whether you win or lose. As you said, money will come into play at some schools but I don't think Salem has many financial issues. They should keep Northside, PH, CBurg, Pulaski, CS, HV and Byrd for rivalry purposes, leaving 3 more games that could be scheduled around the state. That would be enough to get your team more prepared for a deep playoff run.

Originally posted by HoosFan05: Nice first post, welcome aboard. I agree with everything you said. It's just that money talks, so no matter what, travel costs and gate money will come first.
If there are schools out there who cannot afford to make ONE big trip every other year, then they may want to consider not playing at all.

That level of hardship can almost assuredly come only from mismanagement of funds.

Originally posted by HoosFan05: Nice first post, welcome aboard. I agree with everything you said. It's just that money talks, so no matter what, travel costs and gate money will come first.
If there are programs that are so financially stricken that they cannot afford to pay for ONE long trip every two years for a regular season game, someone should perform an audit of them to figure out who has mismanaged their money so poorly.

If there are programs that are so financially stricken that they cannot afford to pay for ONE long trip every two years for a regular season game, someone should perform an audit of them to figure out who has mismanaged their money so poorly.

Originally posted by HoosFan05:
Nice first post, welcome aboard. I agree with everything you said. It's just that money talks, so no matter what, travel costs and gate money will come first.

Someone should be fired for mismanagement of funds if there is a football program out there who is financially incapable of playing one big-time road game every other year.

Someone should be fired for mismanagement of funds if there is a football program out there who is financially incapable of playing one big-time road game every other year.

I think many teams had rather play some lesser team down the street to get easy win, rather than play tougher oppoenents.

Give credit to Amherst, they usually schedule tough opponents

A closer trip for Salem might be to head south into North Carolina and playing teams out of Greensboro, Winston-Salem, or High Point. There is some really good football down there.

I think the VHSL requires you play everyone in your district unless you have a waiver like Martinsville does with Frankiln County.

I agree that the results of the state finals were deceptive. Lake Taylor this year, and Dinwiddie last year were unbelievably good teams and had a pretty easy time with everyone in the South (we won't talk about Monacan, because that bit of data doesn't support my argument). I don't think the average 4A team in the South is ahead of the average 4A team in the North, but a team coming out of the south with a 10-0 record had probably been beating mostly 5A and 6A teams all year while one coming out of the North probably not so much.

I actually think that helped Bird in the finals this year. Tuscarora was just one of about six or seven teams Bird played on that level this year, where Bird was probably the only team Tuscarora saw that was on their level.

Bird had to play: Lake Taylor, Manchester, Monacan, James River, Cosby, and Thomas Dale in the regular season (all of who won at least one playoff game in 5A or 6A, or made the state final 4 in 4A. Then they faced Atlee (8-2) in the first round of the playoffs who was ranked very high in most systems and had been scoring points in gobs, then #1 Highland Springs, followed by #1 Hermitage, and then the 5A champ from the Eastern Region in Salem. Honestly, Tuscarora was just another day at the office, except for all the trappings of it being a state championship.

Lake Taylor, likewise, faced a lot of smoke, and it was disguised from many of us because the Eastern Region has the smaller schools in the 757 and often gets beat by some of the 2200 student juggernauts when they play out of district, but most of that Eastern District can play.

I just feel like, whatever else you want to say, the teams out west are still basically playing an old AA schedule in the regular season and their playoffs are against other schools who do the same. The schools in the Richmond area and Southeast are basically still playing AAA and the playoffs feel like old AAA playoffs. If you're Dinwiddie and you want to avoid getting thumped by the likes of Thomas Dale and other 6A and 5A powers in the Central Region, you'd better raise your level of play. I still think eventually, the old districts will disintegrate due to this, but I'm not sure how long that's going to take.

As stated, welcome WG. Very good first post. Look forward to having you add your opinions.

Like was stated above, the time is here for districts to take the steps to allow freedom to their members to schedule football games to their benefit. After discussions with our AD and others, I'm convinced that maintaining districts is very important to all other athletics. But, district football has become counter-productive.

The VHSL will need to remove the points benefit for playing district opponents. This freedom from "required" district scheduling will be a tremendous enhancement to what has proven to be a pretty darn good system and playoff format.

I always use the Central District as a prime example of the problems with district scheduling for football. The CD runs from 3a to 6a. 3a Colonial Heighs has to play 3a Petersburg and Hopewell. No Harm, no foul there. It is what it is. Dinwiddie, a 4a team and the only 4a team in the CD, is tough for them for sure. But, Dinwiddie has not always been the challange they have become for Colonial Heights.

But then they have nothing left but 5a and 6a teams, Matoaca, Prince George, Meadowbrook, and Thomas Dale. That's a mighty tough obstacle to overcome to have a decent season, and hopefully make the playoffs.

Is it worth it just to say you played teams nearby?

I kind of got away from the theme of the thread, but in a way it all fits together. I agree that to really make improvements in your football program, you have to step out and experience other football systems. Maybe you don't have to go after games with every killer team in the state. But, there is a proven benefit to experience the differences in how other areas tend to play the game.

Posted before I read your's Matt, but excellent explanation.

This post was edited on 12/15 11:02 PM by DinwiddieProud

I guess another way to look at is this.

# of opponents from each class this year (6A, 5A, 4A, 3A) regular season

Salem (2, 0, 6, 2)
Lake Taylor (1, 3, 6, 0)

Tuscarora (0, 4, 3, 2)
L.C. Bird (3, 2, 3, 2)

That doesn't look like Bird and Lake Taylor played much harder schedules,though maybe a little harder, but look at this stat:

Number of regular season opponents who were AAA before realignment:

Salem 2
Lake Taylor 10

Tuscarora 2
L.C. Bird 10

If you include the playoffs before they met up, Salem still only added one game against a former AAA team.

Salem 3
Lake Taylor 14

I still think there's a whopping difference in the regular season schedules of the best teams in the Eastern part of the state, especially in 4A and 5A, and having played monsters before you get to the state finals is a big help.

Is C'ville referring to Centreville or Charlottesville? I would be surprised if Lake Taylor played Charlottesville. I'd be surprised if they turned down Centreville.

One last thing. It won't last forever...it won't last long at all. Remember when Florida State came into the ACC? At first they seemed unbeatable, but while they've stayed good, they've definitely had no monopoly on titles. Teams will rise to the level they need to in order to compete. I promise you that these losses are making the teams out West stronger and stronger. It won't be long.

Originally posted by GilliamRatings:
Is C'ville referring to Centreville or Charlottesville? I would be surprised if Lake Taylor played Charlottesville. I'd be surprised if they turned down Centreville.
Charlottesville.

Yeah I would not say that every 4a south team is loaded, but I would also say that the 4a north has some teams that are automatic wins too for an average high school football team. I will take the jefferson district because I have seen all of those teams. The top 4 this year would have been average to even below average in the south. Powhatan, Monticello, Western Albemarle, and Louisa. The rest of the teams were awful in the district including 5a Orange and 5a Albemarle! Again, I am sure that the South has some bad teams, BUT the amount of bad 4a teams in the north far out weigh the south bad teams because what computers like the Cal Prep and many northern schools do not take into account when the 4a North champ and 4a South champ meet is a true SOS as mentioned above.

If you look at the top 32 teams according to vhsl reference the 4a south has more teams than the 4a north in the top 32. The south only has 7 schools in the state rankings from 33-52, which I am sure they are bad too. To me when a Powhatan team goes 9-1 in the regular season with a loss to Hopewell and then a loss to a 5-5 mediocre south team what does that really say about the 4a north to me that game is that verifies the 4a north is not that strong minus SALEM. Powhatan blew out Louisa, Monticello and Western Albemarle. I would venture to say that if Powhatan was in the north this past season they would not have been a one and done in the north playoffs. No one in the north was going to beat SALEM what was there avg margin of victory before the state championship game for salem? So you have one team in the north heads and shoulders above the rest of the north and then Lake Taylor heads and shoulders above everyone else.

I just do not get the argument that at this point in time the top tier northern teams are as good as the top tier south teams, and I think if the northern coaches really felt that they were able to beat the southern teams they would schedule them more for out of district games, but these coaches know they need points and know they need wins so they schedule teams they know they can beat. Thats what I love about Lake Taylors coach he wants to be the best they want the top teams in the state and do not care about a school being division 5 or 6. I am sure there are holes in my argument, but at this time whoever wins the east next year is going to roll in the state championship again.

I disagree. I do think a West team will win it eventually, but consistently the East will win 4a. Kids can easily hope district lines in the East because of how urbanized the 804 and 757 are, with the West being so spread out it makes it much harder for parents to move to another school. The east has a much larger population to pull from vs. the west as much as you crunch numbers the more you can pull from in a smaller area the easier it is to find talent. I am in no way saying that the past two state champ teams have recruited kids or anything like that just easier to get a kid from another district is all.

Dinwiddie had its first transfer in the past five years. We start developing our kids in rec ball. Coach Mills teaches each coach his system.

We are more rural than Salem or any of the Northern Virginia teams. We don't even have a wal mart. Tractor supply did come to town this year. Lol.

Originally posted by maroons1:
Are you guys trying to schedule Ocean Lakes?
Ocean Lakes is in the eleven team Beach District. They don't play an out of district game.

Yes you are one of the few in the east like that. I was referring more to tidewater and richmond area.

Welcome! And.....what color is the sky in your world?

I'm sorry, I really am. I tried so hard to refrain from saying anything but - my gosh. What kind of make-believe world do you live in, where every public school has the funds to travel three or more hours for half of their games, and where all the schools are legitimate state contenders?

"I would get rid of ultimately playing 7 or 8 games against opponents just in your area and proceed to turn it into a NFL type structure."

You do realize we're not dealing with NFL budgets, resources, and TV deals here, right? So, if you were in control of the situation, you'd be able to somehow produce the vast oceans of money needed for every team in the state to travel like that? We're talking about public education - an entity that's been notoriously underfunded for some time now. In the 2013-2014 school year, Salem's travel budget was shot after the fall sports season, due to the tremendous increase in travel for all sports to conference and regional events. Events that, under the previous system, used to all be held within an hour of most of the schools in the old regional setup. 4A North (soon to be 4A West) stretches from North Carolina to up near Maryland! If you think travel costs are an excuse, think again. They're a very harsh reality that every AD has to deal with.

And, who do you think is going to attend all of these games between opponents from far-flung corners of the state, that have no geography or history in common? Attendance is kind of an important issue for most schools, you know. Since there is no NFL-type TV deal, most schools find that money from football attendance is rather critical for their sports programs. You do remember that games now start at 7:00 pm, yes? How many people do you think will travel from, say, Bealeton to Salem to make a 7:00 pm game on a Friday? I can tell you this - they didn't bring too darn many for a Saturday afternoon regional championship game. And if a 4A South team came to town? Lake Taylor brought maybe 700 or 800 fans to Liberty - on as nice a mid-December afternoon as you'll get, on a day when they were heavily favored to win a state championship. So, how many people are they going to get to take off work to make the five-hour trip from Norfolk to Salem for a 7:00 Friday kickoff, for a regular season game? Wow - real financial windfall, there. And you're suggesting that the entire schedule be made up of games like that.

So, please - everyone complaining about the schedules of Salem and other 4A North teams: get a damn grip. This isn't the NFL, or even major college football. Salem can't just jet down to Florida or Alabama to play every other week, and if you're talking about a 4A North team playing half it's games every season in Tidewater, or even Richmond, it may as well be the same thing. Or, maybe we should lay off half the city employees to be able to play everywhere you think we should be playing?

And, another newsflash: Salem's schedule is not the problem, as far as winning state championships is concerned. People (mostly uninformed) have been talking about Salem's "weak" schedule for decades. It used to go hand-in-hand with all the recruiting talk. In '98 and '99, all Salem's detractors wanted to talk about was how their weak schedule was going to do them in against powerhouses Lafayette and Park View - especially Park View. So, untested Salem won both games, despite the fact that we hadn't seen anyone close to our finals opponents. [That's actually not true - in '98, Martinsville was every bit as tough as Lafayette turned out to be.] The problem this year was - Lake Taylor is friggin' awesome! Like Dinwiddie last year, LT was head-and-shoulders above all other 4A South teams. And I include Monacan in that statement; it took the worst game LT has played in probably five years for Monacan to be in position to win. So, if Lake Taylor was that much better than all the other 4A South teams, what would it gain Salem to break the bank to travel to a Heritage or Phoebus? The experience wouldn't have helped them against Lake Taylor, because Lake Taylor was far superior to both those teams. When Salem is good enough to win the state again, they will - regardless of who they've played that year. So, quit dragging Salem over the coals because they failed to beat a team that ended up ranked third overall in the entire state. There were probably only half a dozen teams - all in 6A - that would have had a legitimate shot at Lake Taylor this year. They were the heavy favorites from July for a reason.

You're also overlooking the fact that - unless something has changed - teams are still required to play every other team in their district, within two classifications. That means Salem is required by the VHSL to play Patrick Henry, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Carroll County, Hidden Valley, and Pulaski County. You know - the teams in our area, that we've played forever. In years when we did win state titles. Schools that will actually bring people to watch the games - people who pay money that gets used to support the entire sports program. At least (even in these times of declining attendance evrywhere) way more people than the opponents you're proposing. Northside-Salem has returned to being one of the state's best rivalries. And I hate to tell you, but over the past six seasons, Northside would have won at least four out of six from all four of the 4A North schools you mentioned.

"I say teams need to start having one goal and that is a State Championship..."

Oh, really? Is that what you say? In a given year, that's a realistic goal for maybe ten percent of the 306 public schools that play football. The coaches of the other ninety percent would say back to you , "You're nuts. We don't have the resources, the facilities, or the talent, and we never will." That's why, for most schools, district championships still mean something. It's at least a realistic goal, something attainable for the kids. Regional titles should mean something, too - especially when you're in a 28-team region! North or South, being the best out of that many schools is an accomplishment. Salem's usually among that top ten percent that can set its sights on a state crown, but that doesn't mean the district or regional titles along the way mean any less. And no - placing that emphasis on the smaller steps along the way aren't what hurt Salem last Saturday. I think that was more the ten or so guys with D1 talent that were wearing red jerseys.

So, again - sorry. A poster whom I greatly respect, one man, thought that you made a great first post, but I just can't go along with him. I just took a three-month hiatus from these boards, and that's the kind of post that might lead to a more permanent arrangement.

I agree with you that it will not last forever, however, FSU may not have been a good analogy as the ACC was basically FSU and the eight dwarfs for a very long time(first decade in ACC?) prior to FSU's slide coupled with expansion. On the 4A front I said when R&R was implemented it would be 3-5 years and I thought much closer to 5 before the North would be considered a real threat to the South and nothing I have seen so far changes my opinion. Were cross brackets in effect it is doubtful the North would have had a team in the finals either of the first two years. As it has been pointed out here in other posts the combination of urban districts making movement across attendance zones easier, greater population density, a much higher level of area opponents, etc., are all factors. I believe it will eventually change because teams out west will raise their games to compete and I believe the 4A schools in the South will lose some of their talent to higher classification schools.

Neither Martinsville or Tunstall play FC under the VHSL rule that allows teams to opt out of playing a district opponent classified more than 2 classifications higher. It is also the reason Cave Spring fought so hard against PH dropping to class 5A.

The beach is centrally funded and they will never give that up. They want to keep all the gate money in the beach.

I think you are spot on - the "old" AAA has been superior to the "old" AA

in the 2013 and 2014 playoffs (i.e. first two years of the new alignment structure).........and I mean no offense to the "old" AA, by the way. I do expect that a Salem or Amherst, etc. will win the 4A title, and probably sooner rather than later, but I think that 4A South overall will be stronger as long as the districts are essentially the same.

Not much has changed for the 4A South schools, they are still playing their old district schedules and mostly schedule their non-district games like they used to. I think 4A North has a problem in that area. Playing a 5A Albemarle, Orange or 6A Stafford in non-district game is not going to help you get better. District games against a Fluvanna, Spotsylvania or Caroline aren't going to help you get ready for the post-season either. Courtland does play a fne 5A Massaponax program annually - it may help them some but I don't think its enough.

Re: Welcome! And.....what color is the sky in your world?

Originally posted by SpartanOfYore:

The problem this year was - Lake Taylor is friggin' awesome! Like Dinwiddie last year, LT was head-and-shoulders above all other 4A South teams.
A majority of the time, the 4A champ is going to be on the same level as those two teams.

Re: Welcome! And.....what color is the sky in your world?

Not in your league for overall history but I agree. You must be at this level to win 4A, in my experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT