ADVERTISEMENT

question on a unusual penalty I saw tonight called...

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
At the Northumberland at Rappahannock game tonight, there were many, many flags thrown. Some calls were good, some so so. The game was a blowout so it didn't impact who won the game.

Here is the play that I though was unusual. Is it a correct call? Many of you guys are excellent with the rules knowledge etc.

Okay, in the 2nd half, Northumberland kicks off to Rappahannock. The RHS kick returner receives the kick and begins his return. A Northumberland defender is running hard up the middle in an attempt to be in position to make the tackle. A Rappahannock blocker runs in front of the running Northumberland player with his back to the NHS player (maybe trying to get ready to block?).

The Northumberland defender runs into the Rappahannock blocker's back and knocks him down, keeps up his pursuit, and goes (and I think) was in on the tackle of the Rapp ball carrier.

One of the referees was looking right at the play and threw the flag. He called an illegal block in the back on Northumberland. Rappahannock got another 15 yards added to their return (and later scored on this drive I believe).

Can the team trying to make the tackle get called on an illegal block in the back penalty? I thought it was unusual but certainly could be mistaken. Thanks to those who may know the answer.

At the Northumberland at Rappahannock game tonight, there were many, many flags thrown. Some calls were good, some so so. The game was a blowout so it didn't impact who won the game.

Here is the play that I though was unusual. Is it a correct call? Many of you guys are excellent with the rules knowledge etc.

Okay, in the 2nd half, Northumberland kicks off to Rappahannock. The RHS kick returner receives the kick and begins his return. A Northumberland defender is running hard up the middle in an attempt to be in position to make the tackle. A Rappahannock blocker runs in front of the running Northumberland player with his back to the NHS player (maybe trying to get ready to block?).

The Northumberland defender runs into the Rappahannock blocker's back and knocks him down, keeps up his pursuit, and goes (and I think) was in on the tackle of the Rapp ball carrier.

One of the referees was looking right at the play and threw the flag. He called an illegal block in the back on Northumberland. Rappahannock got another 15 yards added to their return (and later scored on this drive I believe).

Can the team trying to make the tackle get called on an illegal block in the back penalty? I thought it was unusual but certainly could be mistaken. Thanks to those who may know the answer.

UVACavs1

You can get a block in the back even if the person is going to make the tackle. It's like if a person is on defense and commits a hold in order for his teammate to run in and make the tackle. However from your recap it seems like it should be a no-call.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT