ADVERTISEMENT

Radford vs Giles

Aug 23, 2016
Pembroke
Wondering if there are any reports from the game? I know the score was very one sided but if anyone went to the game is Giles that bad or is Radford that good this year? Just from a few highlights I saw it seemed Radford had the single wing shut down.

Radford should be pretty good this year I would say. How good, I dont' know but they are not be taken lightly.

Reactions: oldfool2
We are pretty solid. Well coached, kind of good at everything, but not great at anything. Come playoff time, if we could get a few breaks and balls bouncing our way, we could possibly make the Appo game interesting (if both of us get that far). We have some talent and the talent disparity between us and Appo is not such a divide that we wouldn't at least have a chance. But, lots of football left and that one is a ways off, again, if we get that far and if Appo gets that far.

Radford is very good at the skill positions. The line obviously isn't as good as it was last year but with the return of PJ and Cobbs and Mabry it makes them dangerous. Rupe is a solid QB. Starting defense hasn't given up a TD. the 2 TDs scored so far were opposing starters against Radford second string and JV although the opponents haven't been that good.

As for the Giles game, to run that offense, they need talent on the offensive line and there isn't much there. they triple teamed the DE Kanipe and still didn't move him. Ratcliffe was able to break a few up the middle but nothing outside. The biggest problem for them was turnovers. Ratcliff broke free for a TD but was stripped and fumbled in the endzone. Also he fumbled in the first series to give the Bobcats their first TD.

PJ suffered a bone bruise early in the Alleghany game and did not play in this one. resting him to get ready for Glenvar.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
We are pretty solid. Well coached, kind of good at everything, but not great at anything. Come playoff time, if we could get a few breaks and balls bouncing our way, we could possibly make the Appo game interesting (if both of us get that far). We have some talent and the talent disparity between us and Appo is not such a divide that we wouldn't at least have a chance. But, lots of football left and that one is a ways off, again, if we get that far and if Appo gets that far.
I think you have given a good assessment of both teams. Im hoping we make it to playoffs and do well. Im bothered by our schedule this year as we are not playing against tough teams.

Thanks for the updates. I was afraid the talent level for Giles would be the downfall for the spring season. When an offense is so ingrained in the entire football culture it is very hard to adjust when the talent level falls below what you need to successfully run that offense. I feel for the Ratcliff kid too, he has more heart than most players out there but just does not have the line in front of him. The tide has shifted for now in Giles county. Narrows is the up and coming football program. This can change over time with player development and sheer numbers.

Good luck to all the teams playing this spring. Hope they all stay safe and COVID free.

I still feel Radford will be a big hurdle. Like said above if they have PJ on the field and some other athletes to take some pressure off him, that’s a dangerous combination.

Also like stated above, I’m VERY CONCERNED over the easy schedule that Appomattox has to play. It’s hard to motivate a team to work hard to prepare when they they know they’ve already beat a team badly.
It’s going to be interesting when playoffs role around.

I still feel Radford will be a big hurdle. Like said above if they have PJ on the field and some other athletes to take some pressure off him, that’s a dangerous combination.

Also like stated above, I’m VERY CONCERNED over the easy schedule that Appomattox has to play. It’s hard to motivate a team to work hard to prepare when they they know they’ve already beat a team badly.
It’s going to be interesting when playoffs role around.
Same with Dan River. As good as they are, they won’t have any competition with 3 games. Wish Appomattox and GW Danville could’ve played this spring.

Reactions: oldfool2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT