ADVERTISEMENT

Glenvar @ Radford

Intrinsicrewards

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 16, 2011
From a Glenvar fan: I hope Radford does the right thing and is able to move the Region final to a field with a visitor side. This game has been in the making for a long time. Cburg is done, and Salem Stadium is also a good possibility just to name two. Having Radford and Glenvar fans on the same sideline is not a good idea.

As far as the game goes, Glenvar has a mountain to climb but it can be done. Radford is firing on all cylinders and looks like the best team in the state. I predict a closer game than the one a few weeks ago and we all know the Glenvar miracles that can happen on the field against Radford if it comes down to the final play. Testament to both teams for getting this far.

From a Glenvar fan: I hope Radford does the right thing and is able to move the Region final to a field with a visitor side. This game has been in the making for a long time. Cburg is done, and Salem Stadium is also a good possibility just to name two. Having Radford and Glenvar fans on the same sideline is not a good idea.

As far as the game goes, Glenvar has a mountain to climb but it can be done. Radford is firing on all cylinders and looks like the best team in the state. I predict a closer game than the one a few weeks ago and we all know the Glenvar miracles that can happen on the field against Radford if it comes down to the final play. Testament to both teams for getting this far.
I agree with you. This is where regional autonomy is laughable. One would hope that the VHSL would make Radford move the game. But they won't as that requires leadership. And we know the VHSL lacks that.

I could see Radford not moving the game out of spite and to limit any visiting atmosphere.

The game should be moved to either Pulaski County or Christiansburg. I wouldn't move it to Salem as that would be a de facto home game for Glenvar even though they are the lower seed.

Or, they could do something completely crazy. They could see if they can get the game moved to Lane Stadium, market the hell out of it; albeit with short notice, and try to get an awesome attendance. But I'm not sure if that stadium is being used next weekend though.

Reactions: toughy299
I mean, unless they're moving the game to Saturday, I would imagine Salem Stadium is not a realistic possibility for a rather obvious reason. Handful of schools between the distance of Radford to Glenvar that I'm sure could fit the purpose, however.

I agree with you. This is where regional autonomy is laughable. One would hope that the VHSL would make Radford move the game. But they won't as that requires leadership. And we know the VHSL lacks that.

I could see Radford not moving the game out of spite and to limit any visiting atmosphere.

The game should be moved to either Pulaski County or Christiansburg. I wouldn't move it to Salem as that would be a de facto home game for Glenvar even though they are the lower seed.

Or, they could do something completely crazy. They could see if they can get the game moved to Lane Stadium, market the hell out of it; albeit with short notice, and try to get an awesome attendance. But I'm not sure if that stadium is being used next weekend though.
1a and 2a should be playing at Lane every year. Virginia should do better. A lot of states play at their local colleges. Heck 3a-6a play at colleges correct? Not saying theres anything wrong with salem. But makes an awesome experience for everyone

Reactions: MarlburlMan
I'm a Radford fan and am for moving the game. Christiansburg or Blacksburg is where it should be moved. The setup with the temp seats is poor and it would be wrong to have the Glenvar game at our stadium.
Fairlawn, do you think if we moved the game to Pulaski we would have some of their fans root against us? I ask because I feel like our guys like playing there and might retain a slight more advantage due to the location and community aspect. Also, grass is more like a home game.

Fairlawn, do you think if we moved the game to Pulaski we would have some of their fans root against us? I ask because I feel like our guys like playing there and might retain a slight more advantage due to the location and community aspect. Also, grass is more like a home game.
Knowing the PC fans I'm familiar with, some would root for us, a few against, but most probably wouldn't go. The problem with moving the game to Pulaski is that it gets a little tricky with the legal beauracratic side. It's not a state game, but a Regional Game and moving a regional game to another county that doesn't have a Class 2, Region C team would be very rare. It's happened, but very rare because it's not a state game, we get into Pulaski County rules, etc. It's not difficult at all when talking about the state semifinals and neutral sights at the state level, but a whole other ballgame at the regional level. There is also the issue of Glenvar. Glenvar could argue, Radford is the home team and if the game is moved, it's not fair to make us travel further than Radford (even though it's not much further).

Not to totally shift the direction of this thread, but RCPS handled this so poorly. I know a few names are used as scape goats but I see it as a collective of failures. The home bleachers are in the same shape, even after repairs. Leadership, especially in regards to infrastructure, has been really inept for 20-30 years. The main campus itself is probably the most delapitated and unmaintained in all of SWVA. That is not hyperbole.

1a and 2a should be playing at Lane every year. Virginia should do better. A lot of states play at their local colleges. Heck 3a-6a play at colleges correct? Not saying theres anything wrong with salem. But makes an awesome experience for everyone
This, I disagree with. Having five or eight thousand fans in a 65,000 seat stadium is laughable. All six state title games should be held at Liberty.

This, I disagree with. Having five or eight thousand fans in a 65,000 seat stadium is laughable. All six state title games should be held at Liberty.
Witnessed a few state title games at JMU and they were still electric. Not single person was concerned about the stadium being at 25 percent capacity. There are ways to make it right. Also, playing 2 title games at one facility in the same day is kind of atrocious. Trying to fit in 6 over a course of a few days would be equally as bad.

Witnessed a few state title games at JMU and they were still electric. Not single person was concerned about the stadium being at 25 percent capacity. There are ways to make it right. Also, playing 2 title games at one facility in the same day is kind of atrocious. Trying to fit in 6 over a course of a few days would be equally as bad.
Nothing wrong with JMU. I like Liberty because it does have some hill sections in case there is a mega capacity crowd that would supersede 25,000.

Nothing wrong with playing two games at one facility at a day. In Texas, they play three per day.

If you play three per day in Virginia (11/3/7) on Friday and Saturday, that would be amazing. That's in a six class setup. We could do two per day (3/7) in a four class setup.

I'm sorry, but if you are saying that playing two state title games at one location is "atrocious", then you're just lazy and are looking for a reason to complain. There are some people who would like to stay and watch multiple games. Heck, there can be teams from the same area/district that fans want to cheer on. Multiple games at a facility in a single day...or even the course of two days allows for that.

A great festival of football. And Liberty...and I'm sure JMU also has the adequate warmup/practice field and locker room facilities to accommodate without any issues. The VHSL is just too lazy to make the event special. They get to the stadium, throw their sponsored ads on the video board that rotate all day, have one concession stand open on either side, have the Liberty people input the game stats, and that's it.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
Playing 2 games at one facility is about the money and the fans (not the fans of the actual teams competing).....why is that a bigger priority than the players themselves? My biggest case in point is that these young men play Friday night all season. It is a quintessential element of high school football. They live for that time and place. The guys who get a deep run in the playoffs usually play at 2:30ish on a Saturday. I don't love that but I understand it. Most players would agree.

Fast forward to the state championship. One of the games is played at 11:30 and 12:00 to "accommodate" the celebration of football. 12 is the time that scrubs play. Not championships. Let them all play under the lights one last time.

I don't give a rat's donkey what Texas does. If I did, I would move to Texas.

Reactions: RadfordCat
It’s a shame Radford is allowed to host any playoff game without adequate visitor seating. The VHSL is a joke for allowing it. Radford obviously deserves home field advantage. Let them choose alternate location. It’s kind of $hitty they didn’t do this on their own and that the VHSL didn’t step in. I would hope it would be moved for state semis if Radford wins. The RCPS is an utter failure , totally inept for not fixing this situation prior to the season starting.

As per the actual game, stop the QB stop them, duh! Can any team at this point do that? Glenvar will need to keep Radford’s offense off the field, eat the clock if they have any chance of winning. I think Radford’s defense can be exploited by a really good offense but I don’t know if Glenvar’s offense is up to that task.

It’s a shame Radford is allowed to host any playoff game without adequate visitor seating. The VHSL is a joke for allowing it. Radford obviously deserves home field advantage. Let them choose alternate location. It’s kind of $hitty they didn’t do this on their own and that the VHSL didn’t step in. I would hope it would be moved for state semis if Radford wins. The RCPS is an utter failure , totally inept for not fixing this situation prior to the season starting.

As per the actual game, stop the QB stop them, duh! Can any team at this point do that? Glenvar will need to keep Radford’s offense off the field, eat the clock if they have any chance of winning. I think Radford’s defense can be exploited by a really good offense but I don’t know if Glenvar’s offense is up to that task.
I don't think many people realize that Landen Clark is also one of the best defensive backs in the state. It's really kind ludicrous how impactful he is on a game. Radford may not win another game, but people need to realize he has put together one of finest VHSL careers in any division. Not many guys can run, pass, be all over the field and still play safety the way he does. I'm admittedly biased, but CCC receiving and offer to UVA before Landen is crazy. If he was at a bigger school and only played one way....I don't care what side....he would be a 4 star prospect.

@MarlburlMan both are deserving of the attention they receive. I have no knowledge but I thought Clark got an offer to play QB (which is what he wants to do allegedly) and that’s the one he had committed to.

Playing 2 games at one facility is about the money and the fans (not the fans of the actual teams competing).....why is that a bigger priority than the players themselves? My biggest case in point is that these young men play Friday night all season. It is a quintessential element of high school football. They live for that time and place. The guys who get a deep run in the playoffs usually play at 2:30ish on a Saturday. I don't love that but I understand it. Most players would agree.

Fast forward to the state championship. One of the games is played at 11:30 and 12:00 to "accommodate" the celebration of football. 12 is the time that scrubs play. Not championships. Let them all play under the lights one last time.

I don't give a rat's donkey what Texas does. If I did, I would move to Texas.
Wow. Aren't you just triggered? The 11:30/5 setup for this year is terrible.

Playing two games at one facility is not about money. The ticket prices per game with no re-entry are still around what one would normally pay per game even though they've been increased to $12 this year. If the VHSL were smart, they would work out a rent deal with the facility for three days (day before and then the two days of games). I'm sure the host university would cut them a break. They could also work out deals with local hotels and restaurants as well for those coming from out of town. That's not even thinking outside the box. That's just using common sense.

And I'm just talking about how streamlined the whole deal is. State title games have been played on Saturdays for several decades. For a long time, they were played at 1:30 and then the VHSL moved to neutral sites permanently in 1998. If we're doing neutral sites for a state title game, then why not make it a big deal?

Another point of mine is that even though some people perceive the games being played at college campuses as special, it truly isn't due to the VHSL's lack of gameday management. Nothing set up outside the stadium which marks the games as a big event. No acknowledgement of the incoming class to the Hall of Fame. No mention of past teams celebrating an anniversary of a state title win. Bands don't really perform because they've mailed their seasons in once playoffs start. Nothing.

And my point about Texas (which made you unhinged for some reason) was that you can tightly schedule while still providing a great experience for the kids along with the fans. I guess you don't want that though. And the whole Friday night lights thing...that's neither here or there when it comes to state title games. A pretty invalid comment when it comes to state title games.

And to your point, the 11:30/12 timing does not "accommodate" the celebration of football. Another asinine comment. The VHSL apparently thinks games need to be separated by five and a half hours when I guess they didn't look last year when the field was cleared after the Phoebus/Heritage game within 45 minutes of the game going final. You don't need that much time in between games especially at college locations that have adequate warmup facilities.

Sounds like you just want to go to one game, be miserable, and then leave. I bet you're fun at parties and give up at life easily as well.

If he is dead set on being a QB then maybe he just hasn’t been in front of the right people. Do I think he is a P5 QB? I am not sure but he is certainly worth entertaining the thought.

Knowing the PC fans I'm familiar with, some would root for us, a few against, but most probably wouldn't go. The problem with moving the game to Pulaski is that it gets a little tricky with the legal beauracratic side. It's not a state game, but a Regional Game and moving a regional game to another county that doesn't have a Class 2, Region C team would be very rare. It's happened, but very rare because it's not a state game, we get into Pulaski County rules, etc. It's not difficult at all when talking about the state semifinals and neutral sights at the state level, but a whole other ballgame at the regional level. There is also the issue of Glenvar. Glenvar could argue, Radford is the home team and if the game is moved, it's not fair to make us travel further than Radford (even though it's not much further).
Is it mostly local politics that you think wouldn't allow this to happen?

In my opinion it would be best for Radford to ask to move the game to Pulaski County, and would be smart for Pulaski County to accommodate that request. This would allow Radford to retain a semblance of home field while still playing on grass.

Im a Pulaski County fan but I know some of the kids on the Radford team and I am rooting for their success. I think there would be many more Pulaski County fans that would come out and pull for Radford than what you may think.

Is it mostly local politics that you think wouldn't allow this to happen?

In my opinion it would be best for Radford to ask to move the game to Pulaski County, and would be smart for Pulaski County to accommodate that request. This would allow Radford to retain a semblance of home field while still playing on grass.

Im a Pulaski County fan but I know some of the kids on the Radford team and I am rooting for their success. I think there would be many more Pulaski County fans that would come out and pull for Radford than what you may think.
Without going to deep into details, the school board at Radford is ruining a lot of things. Next time you vote, vote with your head and not your heart.

I recall Glenvar losing something like 33-0 to Giles in the regular season, then beating them 35-0 in the playoffs. 2015?. Anyway, point is that anything can happen

If I’m Radford I say screw everyone else. Unless the VHSL forces them, I’d play at home. They’ve earned home field, make the VHSL force them to move.
Yeah, unfortunately for Radford, the VHSL will get to make that decision in the semis.

Yeah, unfortunately for Radford, the VHSL will get to make that decision in the semis.
Yeah I think Radford should raise hell to hold this week at home but the next game if they advance should probably be at Pulaski or somewhere. You know what would be a great location that holds a ton and has plenty of seating? Mitchell Stadium or Bullitt Park! lolol.

Yeah I think Radford should raise hell to hold this week at home but the next game if they advance should probably be at Pulaski or somewhere. You know what would be a great location that holds a ton and has plenty of seating? Mitchell Stadium or Bullitt Park! lolol.
So what you’re saying is “ Go Glenvar!” 😂😂😂

Reactions: BigWinners
One reason to pull for Glenvar.

Yes. Radford has the right to play the game in a horse pasture if they want to. The question is whether they care about accommodating visiting fans or not. That's what it comes down to.

Did Glenvar have any key players out when they played Radford during regular season?
None that I recall. Radford came out firing on all cylinders, ready to play, extremely aggressive and smacked our boys right in the mouth and within just a few minutes into the 1st quarter it was 21-0, game over.

Glenvar needs to match that same intensity, and I think we will have a chance. Can't let Radford grab the momentum and put us on our heels again.

I would like to move it because the environment sucks. It's just not fun. Remember those UFC fights during Covid when you had 2 superstars fighting in front of 10 people in a banquet hall. Thats what it feels like with empty visitor stands. It's just a terrible atmosphere. Ever see the old Tulane games where they play in the Superdome and 6000 people are there or when Florida International plays in the Dolphins stadium. That's what it feels like to me. I hope to Gosh they move it and you might be surprised how many of the average fans at Ràdford feels the same.

Last edited:
Agree....Glenvar fans will be less likely to come if the game is at Radford HS, myself included with the NFHS option from my couch. Maybe that is what Radford wants, but it definitely won't look or feel or have the atmosphere of a Region Final with 2 arch rivals

Reactions: Boathead
Without going to deep into details, the school board at Radford is ruining a lot of things. Next time you vote, vote with your head and not your heart.
Actually it was the former superintendent. If they school board hadn't got involved, we would have ended up not playing any games at home. You can watch the meetings at the end of last year and early this year when he said we would play one or two home games at other facilities until the stands were complete. Everyone but him knew it would be delayed even more.

It is what it is at this point.

Go support your team and sit on the hill if you have to. Administration did what they did and here we are. Radford is undefeated and earned the #1 seed. I feel like the threads on all the games have turned into a whining fest by old people. Relax and enjoy the games. The kids deserve the support even if they played down by the river in Radford. I am sure the Glenvar boys would enjoy your support even if you had to stand the whole game.

Good luck to both squads this week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT