ADVERTISEMENT

Raiders vs Hawks

Bo Bob

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 1, 2016
So the hawks swoop into the Appomattox this Friday and it looks like it might be a wet night.
Gretna and Chatham seem to be tops in Pittsylvania County. Do the Hawks make a game out of it.

I know the Raiders need to cover kicks offs better. LOL!

Hawks seem to be finding themselves somewhat. I have only briefly observed them but if you let your guard down they will hurt you. I say Appo wins by 21 + so long as kickoff coverage improves. Appo will have an edge with a wet field condition Appos run game is too quick and optional to defend to shut it down.

Me too. Not being over in first half would be win for me. Lol
A running clock only in the 4th quarter would be a good performance for the Hawks. I think the only Dogwood team with a chance of doing that to Appo is Chatham because of their offense. Chatham is going to run and pound Appo every single play and may have a few drives that take a couple of minutes off the clock. Appo still would win big but the score won't look as bad with the way Chatham plays offense.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
A running clock only in the 4th quarter would be a good performance for the Hawks. I think the only Dogwood team with a chance of doing that to Appo is Chatham because of their offense. Chatham is going to run and pound Appo every single play and may have a few drives that take a couple of minutes off the clock. Appo still would win big but the score won't look as bad with the way Chatham plays offense.
Took a look at Chatham last night they are coming along pretty good. By the time they face Appo we will have certain key players back which should make a big difference on defense.

@BigDaddyFromThe434 when is Chatham going to play the Hawks? Sort of a wild 180 of offenses from a couple of years ago when both teams were last in the playoffs. Last time around the Hawks were ground and pound from Wing T and the Cavs were spreading and shredding it in the passing game. Now it seems the shoe is on the other foot for both teams

Took a look at Chatham last night they are coming along pretty good. By the time they face Appo we will have certain key players back which should make a big difference on defense.
How did you see Chatham last night? Some online film? Their game against Martinsville is tonight. I might catch that one then watch Dan River vs. Altavista Friday night. Chatham is pretty good right now with a lot of upperclassmen and should be good again next year but with no JV team and no underclassmen, I don't know how good they'll be after these two years. Plus there's no telling how long Jack Turner stays around.

I'd really like to see Appo at full strength. I've gotten to watch a little of them and they were good but something just seemed off. They weren't clicking like I would've expected. Some of that was without Tre at QB so that's one big difference. I look forward to seeing how good Appo is with everyone clicking.

@BigDaddyFromThe434 when is Chatham going to play the Hawks? Sort of a wild 180 of offenses from a couple of years ago when both teams were last in the playoffs. Last time around the Hawks were ground and pound from Wing T and the Cavs were spreading and shredding it in the passing game. Now it seems the shoe is on the other foot for both teams
I keep looking for that info but haven't heard anything out of either school. It's like they both want to imagine the game disappeared. I wonder if they learned something from the was Pittsylvania County/ Dogwood got 2 of the 4 Region 2C teams last year since Dan River didn't have to play Appo and take a loss. If Chatham never plays Gretna, neither team takes a loss and drops. Neither team gets a win and bumps up either. I'm just disappointed that it looks like the game won't be played. I always try to watch the Pittsylvania County schools play each other and since Chatham and Gretna look like the best two PCS schools this year it would've been an interested game.

It is quite the change on offenses. Chatham was air raid and almost seemed afraid to run and Gretna was running the wing and now it's switched, although I don't think Gretna is as pass happy as Chatham was a couple of years ago. A lot has changed at both schools with new coaches.

I keep looking for that info but haven't heard anything out of either school. It's like they both want to imagine the game disappeared. I wonder if they learned something from the was Pittsylvania County/ Dogwood got 2 of the 4 Region 2C teams last year since Dan River didn't have to play Appo and take a loss. If Chatham never plays Gretna, neither team takes a loss and drops. Neither team gets a win and bumps up either. I'm just disappointed that it looks like the game won't be played. I always try to watch the Pittsylvania County schools play each other and since Chatham and Gretna look like the best two PCS schools this year it would've been an interested game.

It is quite the change on offenses. Chatham was air raid and almost seemed afraid to run and Gretna was running the wing and now it's switched, although I don't think Gretna is as pass happy as Chatham was a couple of years ago. A lot has changed at both schools with new coaches.
I am almost of the opinion you should be required to make up in district games or have a certain number of minimum contests for postseason participation. In earlier years if you did not play a team in your district that was within 2 classifications of you then you were not eligible for postseason play. If COVID could be used to duck games, which I am not saying is the instance here, but certainly could be in different circumstances, then if I was a Dogwood team I would conveniently be sick on Appomattox week, just like if I was a 1A team I would conveniently be sick when the Red Team was on the schedule. I am sure there are plenty of other districts who could think of their own major opponent dip, duck, dive, and dodge from.

Reactions: BigDaddyFromThe434
How did you see Chatham last night? Some online film? Their game against Martinsville is tonight. I might catch that one then watch Dan River vs. Altavista Friday night. Chatham is pretty good right now with a lot of upperclassmen and should be good again next year but with no JV team and no underclassmen, I don't know how good they'll be after these two years. Plus there's no telling how long Jack Turner stays around.

I'd really like to see Appo at full strength. I've gotten to watch a little of them and they were good but something just seemed off. They weren't clicking like I would've expected. Some of that was without Tre at QB so that's one big difference. I look forward to seeing how good Appo is with everyone clicking.
Yeah you saw us when we were very low on having starters available, some stil not back and our qb not back to full speed now and not playing any defense. I have subscription to NFHS so i can watch any game. It's not bad for watching a game already played, but live streaming makes me want to shoot the tv with a shotgun. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: ClarkeFan83
Still on fence about Chatham. With wins against Nelson, Tunstall, and Prince Edward and loss to Patrick County it is hard to gauge. Tonight against Martinsville want tell much either. Next week against William Campbell will tell the tale for me. Chatham has started season like this many times before but ends up showing in end level of competition in non district games.

Still on fence about Chatham. With wins against Nelson, Tunstall, and Prince Edward and loss to Patrick County it is hard to gauge. Tonight against Martinsville want tell much either. Next week against William Campbell will tell the tale for me. Chatham has started season like this many times before but ends up showing in end level of competition in non district games.
IMHO Those wins were practices. Yes Chatham does seem to get better in late season. Tonights game will atleast show if they are improving.

Chatham falls 29-21 to Martinsville. MHS much improved and Chatham has only beaten them once since 1992, believe that was 2019 though. However, not really sure what that says given DR and MHS played even. My guess is the Dogwood, outside of Appomattox continues to be a wild wild race for second

Chatham falls 29-21 to Martinsville. MHS much improved and Chatham has only beaten them once since 1992, believe that was 2019 though. However, not really sure what that says given DR and MHS played even. My guess is the Dogwood, outside of Appomattox continues to be a wild wild race for second
Also means the dogwood should be called deadwood this year, it's very weak. Dang i remember back in the day when Martinsville was playing E C Glass and whipping them circa the early 70's.

People have been talking Chatham up as a good team but their wins are against:
Prince Edwards (1-4) with the win against Nelsons and a loss to Cumberland! Cumberland had lost 39 in a row but has won 2 of their past 5 games.
Tunstalls (1-3) and was coming off a covid pause when they played Chatham. Tunstalls's only win was their opener against Dans Rivers who had like 18 new starters.
Nelsons Countys (1-4) with the only win against Cumberland.

Losses were to:
Patricks Countys (2-3) with wins against Chathams and Tunstalls
Martinsville (3-3) with wins against Chathams, Dans Rivers, and Moreheads

At this point I would take Gretna to finish second based on their big win against William Campbell.

All I know is Buckinghams (see what I did there @BigDaddyFromThe434 ) plays tonight for just the fourth time (counting one scrimmage) since they lost to East Rock in the 2019 playoffs. Meanwhile, our neighbors to the West have gotten to play 21 times (counting scrimmages this year, Gretna tonight, and the 3 extra playoff games they got in 2019). Unreal what COVID has done. Drive a few miles west and that's the difference of 2 whole seasons of development! I always said one thing that keeps the Appo train rolling is their kids essentially play an extra season or two by the time their careers are done with all the playoff games.

All I know is Buckinghams (see what I did there @BigDaddyFromThe434 ) plays tonight for just the fourth time (counting one scrimmage) since they lost to East Rock in the 2019 playoffs. Meanwhile, our neighbors to the West have gotten to play 21 times (counting scrimmages this year, Gretna tonight, and the 3 extra playoff games they got in 2019). Unreal what COVID has done. Drive a few miles west and that's the difference of 2 whole seasons of development! I always said one thing that keeps the Appo train rolling is their kids essentially play an extra season or two by the time their careers are done with all the playoff games.
It's like college teams making bowls versus not making a bowl game. Bowl teams get an extra 4-6 weeks of practice and continually get better. It really adds up over the course of a few years. Covid was a whole nother deal that canceled full seasons for teams. Kind of makes Martinsville more impressive in getting to 3-3 after not playing at all last year and going winless in 2019.

Looking specifically at Appo, they've played an extra five games a year for about 6 years straight. Every two seasons they've played an additional season compared to non-playoff teams. Same could be said for Riverheads with the run they're on.

Reactions: BigWinners
It's like college teams making bowls versus not making a bowl game. Bowl teams get an extra 4-6 weeks of practice and continually get better. It really adds up over the course of a few years. Covid was a whole nother deal that canceled full seasons for teams. Kind of makes Martinsville more impressive in getting to 3-3 after not playing at all last year and going winless in 2019.

Looking specifically at Appo, they've played an extra five games a year for about 6 years straight. Every two seasons they've played an additional season compared to non-playoff teams. Same could be said for Riverheads with the run they're on.
I agree with your thinking as it does make sense. Personally did not know Martinsville did not play during spring season.

I agree with your thinking as it does make sense. Personally did not know Martinsville did not play during spring season.
Actually haven't played any sports since the Winter 2019-2020 season. Their poor spring sports lost both the 2020 and 2021 seasons, but regardless, hats off to Coach Martin and the Dogs. They hung close with a surging Halifax too! Could easily finish 4-6 or 5-5

Reactions: lyhsports
People have been talking Chatham up as a good team but their wins are against:
Prince Edwards (1-4) with the win against Nelsons and a loss to Cumberland! Cumberland had lost 39 in a row but has won 2 of their past 5 games.
Tunstalls (1-3) and was coming off a covid pause when they played Chatham. Tunstalls's only win was their opener against Dans Rivers who had like 18 new starters.
Nelsons Countys (1-4) with the only win against Cumberland.

Losses were to:
Patricks Countys (2-3) with wins against Chathams and Tunstalls
Martinsville (3-3) with wins against Chathams, Dans Rivers, and Moreheads

At this point I would take Gretna to finish second based on their big win against William Campbell.
Yea I knew Chatham had really played down this year so far. I think WC beats them next week and are probably fourth in district. It's looking like my Hawks might be the second best team in district that still doesn't say much. Know everyone here is proud of what Coach Miller is doing regardless of how rest of season goes. They are also very young. Pittsylvania County teams are down this year but they too barely had a spring season. County wouldn't even let them practice until all other teams had already started playing games. Then came up with that revised only county schedule. Just about could say none of the county teams have really got to play in two years and it shows.

Actually haven't played any sports since the Winter 2019-2020 season. Their poor spring sports lost both the 2020 and 2021 seasons,
What a shame! No reason they couldn't have played and waded the same waters that all of the other teams did.
Those poor kids in that county were robbed (even if a crazy season) of things they can NEVER experience again.

Yea I knew Chatham had really played down this year so far. I think WC beats them next week and are probably fourth in district. It's looking like my Hawks might be the second best team in district that still doesn't say much. Know everyone here is proud of what Coach Miller is doing regardless of how rest of season goes. They are also very young. Pittsylvania County teams are down this year but they too barely had a spring season. County wouldn't even let them practice until all other teams had already started playing games. Then came up with that revised only county schedule. Just about could say none of the county teams have really got to play in two years and it shows.
Coach Miller is doing a great job with Gretna. They are very young. My nephew played the whole second half at LB. He just got called up to varsity as a freshman a couple of weeks ago.

Reactions: oldfool2
What a shame! No reason they couldn't have played and waded the same waters that all of the other teams did.
Those poor kids in that county were robbed (even if a crazy season) of things they can NEVER experience again.
I know I might hurt some feelings but the truth is, we had a school board member lose a family member to Covid. This individual did not even want our schools or sports to open back up this school year. Fought tooth and nail to stop the little mini season we had in the spring. Very touchy subject and I feel for his lose but grief is what is costing our children in this county their future. We have school board elections in November and you can rest assure this will be fixed as parents in this county are irrate. They were protesting at school board meetings but now they have labeled that as domestic terrorism and FBI can lock these mom's up. I stated to them just vote in November if you didn't like it. That's all you can do. I'm sure I've hit some nerves with this subject. I just got call from school this week stating if masks are not on at sporting events they will shut them down.

Sad story for the board member no doubt and i pray for him and his family. However in the meantime life goes on and we keep moving forward. So are the Gretna whoever's going to try and push their agenda on Appo tonight?

Sad story for the board member no doubt and i pray for him and his family. However in the meantime life goes on and we keep moving forward. So are the Gretna whoever's going to try and push their agenda on Appo tonight?
No has nothing to do about who you playing as I have seen some suspicious of timing with each opponent. They have pretty heated conversation on that on D1 boards. The fight to close our school is pretty much over and they know it.

Reactions: Bo Bob and oldfool2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT