ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey chasing history

1MoreHokie

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2005
If you ask any Salem fan 40 or older they'll tell you the greatest RB in Salem's illustrious history was Marcus Parker. His junior season in 1991 rewrote Salem's entire record book in yards (2161), ypc (9.6), ypg (154.5), TDs (28), and carries (225). He would later receive an offer to play for Frank Beamer and even scored the first TD of the 1995 Sugar Bowl. A freak knee injury during the offseason in HS derailed what many thought was going to be a special career.

Coming into the state title game Ramsey's numbers are:

2056 yards
11.4 ypc
27 TDs
158.1 ypg
181 carries

Salem's records aren't well kept (I had to plug the long-since dead link of the old site that kept these numbers into archive.org and find a working link) and the ypc has been knowingly beaten at least once by Coleman Fox but the rest are definitely still in place.

I doubt that anyone knew before now that he's on the cusp of doing this and rewriting Salem history. For some reason curiosity struck me and I was curious as to what Parker's numbers were and was shocked at how close he is to all those numbers.

Last edited:
I said after RB Luke Owens got unfortunately injured and lost for the season in the CS game that this team would go as far as Ramsey would take them and he has responded beautifully. He has reached his capability and I'm thrilled the staff has allowed it to happen finally.

If you want a quick before/after when Ramsey stopped splitting carries...

Ramsey First 7 Games (did not play vs Amherst week 1):

796 yards
8 TDs
75 carries
This includes a 7 carry, 149 yard, 4 TD game against CS during which Owens got hurt. Owens came down in the 3rd so I don't consider this to be part of "Ramsey-only" time. Consider those numbers for the first 7 games, though.

Ramsey Last 6 Games:

1260 yards
19 TDs
106 carries

All things equal as a fan, these last few weeks has been the best RB play I've ever seen from a Spartan. He runs like he was put on this earth specifically to do just that and it's been so much fun to watch raw talent just go to work. I wasn't old enough to be doing anything but rolling down the hill while Parker was scoring TDs but I'd love to see what older Salem fans think of the comparison.

If you ask any Salem fan 40 or older they'll tell you the greatest RB in Salem's illustrious history was Marcus Parker. His junior season in 1991 rewrote Salem's entire record book in yards (2161), ypc (9.6), ypg (154.5), TDs (28), and carries (225). He would later receive an offer to play for Frank Beamer and even scored the first TD of the 1995 Sugar Bowl. A freak knee injury during the offseason in HS derailed what many thought was going to be a special career.

2056 yards
11.4 ypc
27 TDs
158.1 ypg
181 carries

Salem's records aren't well kept (I had to plug the long-since dead link of the old site that kept these numbers into archive.org and find a working link) and the ypc has been knowingly beaten at least once by Coleman Fox but the rest are definitely still in place.

I doubt that anyone knew before now that he's on the cusp of doing this and rewriting Salem history. For some reason curiosity struck me and I was curious as to what Parker's numbers were and was shocked at how close he is to all those numbers.

His yards per carry are insane for someone with that many carries.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Not that this changes your point, but I believe Parker was a sophomore in 1991. That is the year that Salem lost to Spotsylvania in the 2A Div. 4 state championship (the year prior to the debacle in Richlands). I remember Parker having the same illusiveness as Ramsey and I believe that his speed was probably close. I don't remember Parker taking as many "risks" as Ramsey does when he makes his electrifying runs. The best game that I can remember from Parker’s 1991 season was against Tunstall in the playoffs when he had something like 340 yards. Back then before the days of the internet, it was a big deal to get mentioned in USA Today and I can remember that he was cited for that performance.

Reactions: mike salem
Not that this changes your point, but I believe Parker was a sophomore in 1991. That is the year that Salem lost to Spotsylvania in the 2A Div. 4 state championship (the year prior to the debacle in Richlands). I remember Parker having the same illusiveness as Ramsey and I believe that his speed was probably close. I don't remember Parker taking as many "risks" as Ramsey does when he makes his electrifying runs. The best game that I can remember from Parker’s 1991 season was against Tunstall in the playoffs when he had something like 340 yards. Back then before the days of the internet, it was a big deal to get mentioned in USA Today and I can remember that he was cited for that performance.

You're probably right. I know he played in '92 but I also remember hearing about that horrible injury so I wasn't sure if he missed a season or if he had enough time to rehab in the offseason and still play.

My dad is pretty fond of a game he had against Graham who, apparently at that point, had some insane D that had allowed almost no points very late into the season and Parker apparently shredded them.

In 1989, Graham hadn't allowed a single point through something like 7 or 8 games before Salem beat them 23-6. Marcus Parker was in 8th grade then so not on the team. Richard Goodpasture was the primary RB and, of course, Stephen Magenbauer was the QB in 1989. Graham went on to win the AA-D3 state championship.

Salem lost at Graham in 1990, which was the only regular season loss from 1989-1992. Salem throttled Graham early in the 1991 season, which was an indicator of how good that team was. 1991 was Parker's sophomore year.

Parker's injury was after the 1992 season. He came back in limited duty late in the 1993 season. Obviously, Parker was missed but Jomo Nelson had a great year at RB in his absence. Salem's bigger problem that year was QB play.

2056 yards
11.4 ypc
27 TDs
158.1 ypg
181 carries

I am also glad they have "turned him loose " so to speak. He has become a terrific runner who has good instincts and sees the field very well. It has been fun watching him progress from the rec days up to now. Hopefully he has another good game left for Saturday!
Probably needs to be dug into deeper as too but It looks like Craft may have broken a few of the kicking records. LIke you said Salem does not keep very complete stats but I hear that he is on the cusp of a couple as well.

Reactions: salemfan32
While I wouldn't rank him as the best RB in Salem history, I'd say that Dennis Haley was the best overall athlete to play at RB (and likely overall). It's almost a shame that Salem had so many weapons in 1998-1999. If Haley had been the clear focus of the offense, his stats could've been off the charts.

While I wouldn't rank him as the best RB in Salem history, I'd say that Dennis Haley was the best overall athlete to play at RB (and likely overall). It's almost a shame that Salem had so many weapons in 1998-1999. If Haley had been the clear focus of the offense, his stats could've been off the charts.
Dennis was an incredible athlete! After all he did play professional football. I agree Ramsey is a much better runner of the football. Ramsey runs harder and has a gear that Dennis didn't have. Dennis was the better, more rounded athlete (2 sport star) but the the only Salem RB I've seen that can come close to comparing to Ramsey is Parker.

Reactions: southbottomU
We didn't get to see parker his senior year because of injury. A real shame. Parker and Ramsey best ever at Salem. Fox next then Haley. Haley better athlete than running back. Moved to linebacker at uva.

Salem also has been blessed with some great receivers; Barnett (most talented), Spradlin (best hands), and here's a blast from the past Kevin Phipps (best after the catch); but I think you can make a great argument for Viante Tucker as the best all around receiver in Salem history.

Not trying to start something, just don't know the answer. Is this the kid that didn't play last year? If so, what about before that, did you guys see this coming?

Not trying to start something, just don't know the answer. Is this the kid that didn't play last year? If so, what about before that, did you guys see this coming?
Ramsey was dismissed from the team last year after the 8th. game. Salem rallied around their excellent qb Beckley, an excellent linebacker and fullback Fox, and wide receiver and corner Tucker. The team got great contributions from Owen, Quinn just to name a few and went on to win the State Title without Ramsey. I'm pretty sure most Salem fans knew how talented Ramsey was. He had started at defensive end as a sophomore. Had a great year on that 14-0 team

Reactions: Gunz41
Ramsey was all-region DE his sophomore year and should have been all-state if not for a naming blunder. I'm not joking, he was the starting DE (across from older brother Alex) and had an incredible year, like double digit sacks, 5 FF, a ton of TFL, etc. He was a monster. He naturally made the all-region team but was mysteriously absent entirely from all-state and another Salem lineman, whose name I can't even remember, was given his stats and all-state recognition. It was utterly bizarre.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Ramsey was all-region DE his sophomore year and should have been all-state if not for a naming blunder. I'm not joking, he was the starting DE (across from older brother Alex) and had an incredible year, like double digit sacks, 5 FF, a ton of TFL, etc. He was a monster. He naturally made the all-region team but was mysteriously absent entirely from all-state and another Salem lineman, whose name I can't even remember, was given his stats and all-state recognition. It was utterly bizarre.

Wow. That does sound strange. Bad for Ramsey, good for the other kid I guess

Since this is the Salem history thread, I thought I'd mention that this isn't the first time that Salem and Louisa have met for a state championship.

In 1994, Salem topped Louisa 67-59 for the Group AA boys' basketball state championship. Salem finished 25-1 with the only loss to Cave Spring. Probably the most remarkable thing about that season were the 6 wins against Northside, capped by an OT win the state semi-finals, which were the only losses suffered by the Vikings that year.

It was, I think, only the second season for coach Charlie Morgan. I also think it was only the third state championship in any team sport won by Salem after golf in the early 1980s and softball in 1991. It was a watershed moment for Salem, which would have to wait until 1996 for the first football state title.

Reactions: one man and RKE Fan
Yeah Shelton was a beast! I was only 5 years old at the time, so my father told me stories lol. He was the head coach at Monticello before returning here. His son Chris plays on the team now.

Some other interesting parallels from that game is Kevin Garst whom was a star guard on that team is now Salem's varsity basketball coach. Also if my memory recalls correctly, Salem's best player Mark Byington who was also a very good QB was in line to become the starter on the football team after the graduation of All State QB Tra Wilson. However, he decided either before his sophomore or junior season that he wanted to concentrate on basketball. Guess it was a good choice since he went onto star at UNCW and I believe is coaching as well.

Since this is the Salem history thread, I thought I'd mention that this isn't the first time that Salem and Louisa have met for a state championship.

In 1994, Salem topped Louisa 67-59 for the Group AA boys' basketball state championship. Salem finished 25-1 with the only loss to Cave Spring. Probably the most remarkable thing about that season were the 6 wins against Northside, capped by an OT win the state semi-finals, which were the only losses suffered by the Vikings that year.

It was, I think, only the second season for coach Charlie Morgan. I also think it was only the third state championship in any team sport won by Salem after golf in the early 1980s and softball in 1991. It was a watershed moment for Salem, which would have to wait until 1996 for the first football state title.
I remember those 6 Northside losses all too well! I was in the stands for all 6 contests as a big Viking fan with close friends on that team. As bad as the semi-final loss stung, the game earlier in the season when we had Salem beat baring a last second miracle, which was carried out by a great pass and tip in at the buzzer by Woolwine (I think), hurt the most. Salem was awesome on the hardwoods that year and Byington was phenomenal. I always thought he was under-recruited. He was similar to JJ Redick with his range, but much more athletic. As much as I wanted Northside to win, I always kind of hoped to see him get a break-away. I remember him stealing the ball against Porterfield in the Semis and finishing with a monster dunk.
Back to football, I've talked to several Salem folks close to the football program and they have nothing but great things to say about Louisa and their coach. They respect them big-time and are preparing for a war. Is is Saturday yet??

Bringing back memories for me as well. That's was my class for Salem and one of my old boyfriends was on that Northside team and loved seeing them get beat. Mark is now the head coach for Georgia Southern. I hung out with a lot of Northside crew we probably know each other.

I remember those 6 Northside losses all too well! I was in the stands for all 6 contests as a big Viking fan with close friends on that team. As bad as the semi-final loss stung, the game earlier in the season when we had Salem beat baring a last second miracle, which was carried out by a great pass and tip in at the buzzer by Woolwine (I think), hurt the most. Salem was awesome on the hardwoods that year and Byington was phenomenal. I always thought he was under-recruited. He was similar to JJ Redick with his range, but much more athletic. As much as I wanted Northside to win, I always kind of hoped to see him get a break-away. I remember him stealing the ball against Porterfield in the Semis and finishing with a monster dunk.
Back to football, I've talked to several Salem folks close to the football program and they have nothing but great things to say about Louisa and their coach. They respect them big-time and are preparing for a war. Is is Saturday yet??

Reactions: RKE Fan

Those six games against two fairly evenly matched teams with all of them going one way and having them play a big part in determining the state champion were just remarkable. I wonder if it's ever happened elsewhere. I would really like to see Coach Pope win a state championship since he and the Northside community deserve it, and frankly it'd be nice to see him win it after the controversies with Coach Torrence. Though, it seems like 1994 really was the best chance that Northside had.

Reactions: RKE Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT