ADVERTISEMENT

Rappahannock v Galax - 2021 Boys Soccer VA State Championship + a little soccer history

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Rappahannock v Galax for the Boys Soccer Virginia Class 1 State Championship

Round Two

Galax has won 3 State Championships in a row and 5 of the last 6 state titles.

No 1A Region A team has ever won it.

However, I think the time has finally come.

I predict that the Rappahannock Raiders will upset the undisputed Soccer King, Galax, and be crowned the first state champion from Region A - Class 1.

(I may be a bit biased so we shall see :))

Should be a heck of a war.

Game will be held in Warsaw on Wednesday at 5 pm.

Last edited:
This will be the first boys state soccer championship ever played in Regions A or B.

The modern VHSL Group A Boys Soccer tournament began in 1999.

No Region A - Class 1 high school has ever won it, though many have come close.

In fact, the only Region A Group A (Class 1 and 2 were combined until 2013) high school to ever win a state title was 2A Nandua in 2003. Nandua knocked out Essex that year in the Region playoffs over on the Eastern Shore on the way to win states.

The only Region B - Class 1 team to ever win it was Riverheads in 2016. They had an amazing superstar or two that year, if I recall correctly.

Besides Riverheads' big year, Galax has dominated boys soccer since 2014 winning all the state titles since then except the one in 2016. So Galax has won three in a row and 5 of the last 6 state titles.

Hopefully, I think and predict that streak finally comes to an end this season and we have a new State Champion from the East.

Go Rappahannock Raiders!

I was on that 2003 Essex team. I believe they beat us 4-0 or 5-0 (similar to the year before). JM was also always in the mix those years and lost in overtime in the State Championship in 2002. It was really fun having them in our district and then Nandua waiting for us in regionals (2002 to 2005).

Good luck to Rappahannock.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Before there was a Group A soccer tournament, there was a state invitational (I believe it was regions A & B) that Lancaster won a few times and Northumberland may have won once or twice. Your boy Chris Valdrighi would know all about that.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Before there was a Group A soccer tournament, there was a state invitational (I believe it was regions A & B) that Lancaster won a few times and Northumberland may have won once or twice. Your boy Chris Valdrighi would know all about that.

Yes, prior to 2000 was before my time in Soccer, but yes, I get reminded often who ruled Region A and the NND back in the day during the 90s lol.

Yes, there is a great banner up in Northumberland with one or two State Invitational Championships from the 90s/80s. The old timers love to let me know what's up ha.

I do remember the awesome Bowis boys of NHS and some of the Lancaster stars. Like you said, it is unfortunate that they did not have a chance to play the entire state in those days (I don't think).

Of course, these days, I am the old timer now. Rappahannock has been the overall kings of the Neck/Region A for the last 5 years I think so I like to remind them on occasion what was up before then in the Neck lol.

Also, to be fair, W&L has been in the mix steady for about the last 15 years as well as the main big rival to the Essex and now Rappahannock teams.

Washington and Lee also lost to Galax in the State title game out west - in 2015 I believe. So they came close as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT