ADVERTISEMENT

Rd.2 Courtland (9-2) vs. Eastern View (9-2)

Who wins?

• Courtland

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • Eastern View

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters

DEVILSLB99

VaPreps All District
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2005
Courtland got revenge on King George and Eastern View roared back to beat Chancellor.

Very excited for this contest. Courtland was very focused and ever since their loss to King George three weeks ago they have been determined, intense and very efficient, especially on defense. If they can maintain their intensity, not turn the ball over and play Cougar football, I believe they'll make it to round three.

I think it is a close game with EV squeaking it out in the end. I think their line play in the second half is the difference. Or maybe a special teams play by EV #3.

I guess I can save my $8 and stay at home then. Seriously, I think EV will have to play really well and not squander scoring opportunities to have a chance. I still think they can do it but it will definitely be an uphill battle.

Last edited:
I would go and support my team whether they were a huge favorite or huge underdog, thats the fun of high school football, but looking at this matchup:

EV has given up only 3 100 yard rushers in a game this season, but they lost two of those games (Chancellor & Sherando) and the third time was Wisdom again from Chancellor, but the Chargers were so beat up that EV managed to win that game. Now looking at Courtland, they will bring two (possibly 3 if Lawson is able to play) 1,000 yard rushers and come right at EV and be physical and get after the Cyclones. That doesn't account for Courtland's defense which is as fast a defense as EV will have seen on season (trust me no one in the evergreen district matches Courtland, or the two other teams EV lost to).

EV may keep it close for a while, but in the end Courtland will wear down the Cyclones and win by at least 3 TDs

Alot of factors can effect this game turnout, weather conditions being one of them.... On paper yes Courtland is the favorite but anything can happen, that's why games are played. I have listed a few things in which I feel both team must limit..
for Courtland - Turnovers(got to hold on to the ball) / Possible Player Fatigue (guys going both ways, force EV into quick 3 and out situations) / Missed tackles ( Ev depends on its play makers in space alot)
For EV - Player Fatigue ( Courtland gonna run the ball, run the ball, and run the ball... limit long drives) / Redzone Efficiency (Was terrible last week against Chancellor in redzone, they have to take advantage of short field situations and Courtland TO's. / Turnovers ( Stallings and company will have to secure the ball all game and cut down on TO's)

EV did not play nearly a perfect game last week and still handled Chancellor easily. If they limit the turnovers and convert in the red zone this game will be a lot closer than people think. EV's defense will test Courtland's run game. Turnovers will decide this game...

Reactions: Smallfry2015
Im curious, with both teams being as good as they are (take it how you want) why is it all about whether or not EV can stop Courtland, why is not about can Courtland stop EV's offense, they have proven to do it in the air and on the ground. Yes EV will have to stop Courtland which is a tuff task, but i think Courtland stopping EV's offense is a bigger question. Good luck to both team and i will also agree who ever wins the turnover battle will win the game as is the case with two good teams and playoff football.

I thought the same thing Zeus but did not want to sound like a big Homer. I am curious as to whether Courtland will kick/punt to #3 or avoid him like Courtland did last week. EV had good field position most of the night due to the short KOs and punting away from him.

Courtland 42-13.....this will not be a close game
Depends on which Courtland team shows up. I tend to agree with most everyone here, that the KG loss was a turning point for them. Then they go and blow out a very strong JM and KG the 2nd time around. I'm not going to count a shutout of a team with "0" victories as anything to take claim significance.

But........the Cougar Defense has been playing light's out lately against strong squads. The offense has been jumping to the lead right out of the gate. They are finally playing as they have always been capable. Their heads seem to be on right and understand that their chance to truly compete for a State Championship is THIS year. They also seem to FINALLY understand that they need to take a "no prisoners" attitude.

I think 42 - 13 can be the score. If they play like they have since KG, that can very well be. But historically, the Cougars have to often come into games they should win and just play very poorly. Plus EV isn't going to give it away. This is the playoffs. You come in flat, you lose. So give EV their due. They're very good also. GL to both on Friday.

Reactions: danbeatty65
I'm just happy they're letting EV play in this game... and maybe just maybe if things go there way they won't lose by 30

The reason EV has to stop Courtland offense is because they will eat up the clock, and take 3-4 yards a pop all night. I have seen Courtland teams do this for years... No matter how explosive a teams offense can be... its not effective if its not on the field much.... Yes EV can score, that's proven..... It's defense will have to win this game.

EV can win this game.... Just stop the run...
As Rick Flair would say
" To be the man, you got to beat the man"........

I hope it is a close game so the drive from Culpeper to Courtland is worth it, but with the empirical evidence at hand, Courtland is easily 3 TDs better than Eastern View. The reason no one mentions EV offense against Courtland defense is because the Courgar D can be and is down right dominant at times. I look no further than what they did to the #1 team in 5A North, Massaponax, or what they did to JM or how they handled a healthy Chancellor and downright crushed King George in round 1. EV hasnt seen the speed that the Cougar D has or the physicality of the Courtland front 7. EV is a better team than earlier in the year, and they are healthy, but they are not in the same league as Courtland, and Friday will bear that out.

I'm just happy they're letting EV play in this game... and maybe just maybe if things go there way they won't lose by 30

Lol, love the sarcasm and enthusiasm, however, the EV train ride ends on 11/20/2015!

I like to use stats to rationalize opinions, they are objective.

Courtland's strength of schedule is much tougher than EV's. Don't believe me? Go to VHSL Reference and look it up. I used the 10 Regular season games. EV's avg. rank of opponent is 141.1; Courtland's is 106.9. This was done using the "State Ranking."

If you use "Division Ranking" EV avg is 26.8; Courtland 22.8. Closer, but, no cigar. Massaponax is the best team around here. Courtland lost a 1 pt game. Tougher schedule belongs to Courtland. I respect what EV has done, but it end tomorrow night. EV has not seen a back 7 on defense as physical and fast as Courtland's; and they haven't seen a trio or RB's like Courtland's. Oh, all the axises of the Wing-T.

If the Cougars lose, it't on them and congrats to EV.

Courtland 49 EV 21

Courtland is favored and should be......they've played a tougher schedule and have more impressive wins....they have historically been great.....BUT, if EV can keep it close into the 2nd half the have a shot. EV is one of the best conditioned teams you will see...maybe not as talented overall as Courtland, but you won't see the EV team get tired.

During the playoffs it doesn't matter the strength of schedule and who's played who. You gotta show up on every night and produce. If EV is still in it in the second half look out.

During the playoffs it doesn't matter the strength of schedule and who's played who. You gotta show up on every night and produce. If EV is still in it in the second half look out.

That's the point, by the second half it won't be close, if it's eve close at all in the first half

I love the setup here, even if EV wins they already won't get any credit. Courtland either wins or they beat themselves... They can't be beat by EV.

As the old saying goes, defense wins championships and I think that the comments that speak to Courtland's defense are germane. In 11 games they've given up a total of 103 points and have four shutouts. As someone else pointed out, as long as the offense doesn't turn the ball over, I believe the Cougars are a formidable team the rest of the way. That loss to KG a few weeks ago rocked them and the level of focus and ferocity with which they've been playing since then is impressive. Looking forward to a good, clean game with no injuries on either side and both teams giving their best.

@FLSVarsity: Jabari Allen's 24-yard TD catch from Eilbirn gives Courtland 20-6 lead on Eastern View

Cougars in complete control, the rout is incoming

Courtland with 158 rushing yards in the 1st quarter.
78 and 67 adds up fast, doesn't it. Defines a couple of big plays, not the game. Still 36 minutes to go. Plenty of time for EV. Cougars must keep hammering and step on necks. Don't let them breath because EV will not go away easily. Cyclones can score quickly too.

Refs need to let them play... Refs are doing more to EV than Courtland is... Don't see all the hype of Courtland

Courtland had had 3 tds called back by penalty

@Ron_CSEsports: Courtland has its 3rd TD of the night negated by penalty. Illegal man downfield seems to be a favorite of this crew

So much for Eastern View hanging around, game is well in hand, Cougars in complete control

Chet Wilborne finds Jabari Allen on a 26-yard TD pass. Courtland 41, Eastern View 13. 10:21 4th

42-13 looks like it's gonna be a dang good call

One play after D'Ago Hunter returns a fumble to Courtland's 6, Justin Pollard finds the end zone. Courtland 41, Eastern View 20. 8:06 4th

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT