ADVERTISEMENT

Rd. 3 Woodgrove (11-1) at Jefferson Forest (11-0)

Who wins

• Woodgrove

Votes: 19 48.7%
  • Jefferson Forest

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters
WOW!

JF offense is for REAL!

Their speed killed us tonight!
Their Defense got the job done!

GL to JF next week!!!

JF is a neat place with a ridiculous atmosphere and their fans very hospitable.

GREAT SEASON WOLVERINES!

JF very slow 4th q. Just been running it up the middle and draining clock. Not running any big plays. Game over. How bout that Woodgrove defense? Good game both sides
I can't recall seeing a game like this. I watched almost all of this on line. Hard to believe anyone remaining in 4A West will be able to stop,them. They must have had over 300 rushing yards with not a runner being touched and Woodgrove is pretty good.

I can't recall seeing a game like this. I watched almost all of this on line. Hard to believe anyone remaining in 4A West will be able to stop,them. They must have had over 300 rushing yards with not a runner being touched and Woodgrove is pretty good.
Not saying they will but if it is anyone that could it would be Salem

No, I didn't forget. Salem hasn't faired well in road play-off games lately and salem didn't play that great last week. Looks like it adds up to a loss against j. Champe.

No, I didn't forget. Salem hasn't faired well in road play-off games lately and salem didn't play that great last week. Looks like it adds up to a loss against j. Champe.
"Lately" as in when? They didn't have a road playoff game last year until the state championship. And they won 35-7 last week. Maybe you are thinking of a different Salem. @mike salem do you know what he is referring to? I surely don't

You are right that Salem didn't look good last week in the 1st half, you are right Salem hasn't historically faired as well on the road in the playoffs. You may be right about the outcome, but I'm not convinced Champe is on that level yet. (Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time) If Champe wins tomorrow then JF will be the West representative.

"Lately" as in when? They didn't have a road playoff game last year until the state championship. And they won 35-7 last week. Maybe you are thinking of a different Salem. @mike salem do you know what he is referring to? I surely don't
Salem didn't look sharp in the 1st half against Amherst. Salem, historically, hasn't had as much success on the road in the playoffs as they have at home. I'm just not convinced Champe is on that level yet, but we'll find out tomorrow. If Champe wins tomorrow then JF will be the West representative based on what I heard tonight.

I was waiting for a playoff team to finally be confident enough in their KO coverage to kick it deep. Finally found one. Kicked one deep, Cam Miller goes 80+ for a TD. Onside every other KO.

Reactions: VolNation85
H
I was waiting for a playoff team to finally be confident enough in their KO coverage to kick it deep. Finally found one. Kicked one deep, Cam Miller goes 80+ for a TD. Onside every other KO.
Hope the next team isn't afraid to swallow their pride and squib kick...at least for their sake

Just got stat sheet. JF had over 400 offensive yards in the first half alone. Got conservative second half to seal the deal, over 500 total.

VolNation BE AWARE that quality coaching is not limited to the Roanoke area. John Champe will be more than ready for Salem. The winner gets JF.....not a destination that either team fares well against.

VolNation BE AWARE that quality coaching is not limited to the Roanoke area. John Champe will be more than ready for Salem. The winner gets JF.....not a destination that either team fares well against.
Thanks for the reminder but I am well aware of that. In fact, I never mentioned anything about the coaching in the Roanoke area, I simply mentioned one coach from that area. In no way was I implying that Magenbauer represents the entire Roanoke area. But I also know that Magenbauer has the resumé to back up my statement

Salem's all-time record in true road playoff games (games played on an opponent's home field) is 10-10. Not terrible, for playoff competition. The home playoff record is 39-9, a winning percentage of .813. So while the Spartans haven't fared as well on the road as they have at home over the decades, I'm going to hazard a guess that no school in Virginia that's played twenty or more true road playoff games has won more than eighty percent of them. In other words - that home record sets a pretty high bar. Salem is 8-2 in neutral site playoff games. That's an overall 18-12 away from Salem Stadium in the playoffs.

Salem has indeed lost its lost four road playoff games, going back to 2007. Three of those four losses were tough, hard-fought affairs that could have gone either way. None of this year's varsity was on the team in 2007, and only a very few were on the varsity for the last road playoff loss at Sherando, two years ago. So I don't see that as being any kind of factor.

I am quite encouraged by last night's Woodgrove-JF result.

Just curious, how is that encouraging? Woodgrove's D was supposed to be the best in the west, allowing just over 8 pts per game I think. 450 yards and 49 points in one half before conservative calling and play style drained the second half clock. Meanwhile their RB who has almost 2,000 yards on the year was held under 70.... Just throwing some figures out.

Reactions: OCBoy
Just curious, how is that encouraging? Woodgrove's D was supposed to be the best in the west, allowing just over 8 pts per game I think. 450 yards and 49 points in one half before conservative calling and play style drained the second half clock. Meanwhile their RB who has almost 2,000 yards on the year was held under 70.... Just throwing some figures out.
I think he is simply talking about comparing teams from the Roanoke area to the Loudoun area. Not sure how much relevance that will have today. He is certainly not "encouraged" by that score for a potential game next week with JF.

Gotcha, just
Didn't Navy have an 80 yd TD run?

I was wondering because jfcav1 said the 2,000 yard rusher was limited to 70 yards? Did Navy lose yards on his other plays or what? He had a big TD reception as well. I know Miller had some big runs so I was trying to figure out who he was talking about.

H
I was wondering because jfcav1 said the 2,000 yard rusher was limited to 70 yards? Did Navy lose yards on his other plays or what? He had a big TD reception as well. I know Miller had some big runs so I was trying to figure out who he was talking about.
He was referring to the RB from Woodgrove

Reactions: mike salem
Well, no Cinderella story for Champe. Great run for them, but Salem was just too much. Perhaps this could be a "spring board" for future playoff runs. They got their feet wet, and sometimes that enough to move forward with confidence.
Champe's run game never got going and that put everything on the QB. Kid can sling it around though and is a solid athlete! Bright future for him... But, you can't live on that without an established run game. The difference was up front... Salem's OL and DL played well all day, got pressure, slowed the run, and got off the field when they needed. If they want to get another shot at LT, they better play well or JF is gonna have a legitimate shot at winning next week. Can they slow Jones and Miller who racked up serous yardage against Woodgrove. Might be a barn burner!!!

Looks like it didn't come down to coaching after all...or did it?

Looks like it didn't come down to coaching after all...or did it?
Champe was out played coached hustled etc Champe players didn't even appear hyped up for the game. Salem showed all the hype. Salem side was completely filled one hour before kickoff

Reactions: salemfan32
Champe was out played coached hustled etc Champe players didn't even appear hyped up for the game. Salem showed all the hype. Salem side was completely filled one hour before kickoff
I'm not surprised. That was more of a rhetorical question for @bceagle47 lol

Congrats to Salem and good luck next week. If Salem out hustled, out coached, out hit, out hyped Champe that would explain why they won big. Salem is always top notch and Champe will be a better program after playing them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT