ADVERTISEMENT

Region 1-B Playoff Question

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Last year there was a whole week to conduct these playoffs, as there will be again this year. So they alternated each night, so fans would not have to miss a girls or boys game if their school happened to still be alive in both. I think the girls played M/W/F and the boys on the other three nights. Does anyone know if it will be done that way again this year?

Go to the Shenandoah District website and it will give you a link to the 1-B standings for both boys and girls. You can then figure it out by using the normal 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. format. The only thing I have committed to memory, for obvious reasons, is that the Riverheads boys have the number one seed and will host number eight Franklin on Tuesday the 25th, and the girls have the number two seed and will host number 7 Rappahannock County on Monday the 24th. From that point on, the games alternate each night with the highest seeded team always hosting. I assume the Surry girls will be the heavy favorites but with the boys.....who knows? My hope is that the Gladiators have been toughened up by their Shenandoah schedule and will therefore be OK, but there could easily be other teams out there who could have also handled RHS' schedule. I am not happy with having to wait the extra week but it is what it is.

Go to the Shenandoah District website and it will give you a link to the 1-B standings for both boys and girls. You can then figure it out by using the normal 1 vs. 8, 2 vs. 7, etc. format. The only thing I have committed to memory, for obvious reasons, is that the Riverheads boys have the number one seed and will host number eight Franklin on Tuesday the 25th, and the girls have the number two seed and will host number 7 Rappahannock County on Monday the 24th. From that point on, the games alternate each night with the highest seeded team always hosting. I assume the Surry girls will be the heavy favorites but with the boys.....who knows? My hope is that the Gladiators have been toughened up by their Shenandoah schedule and will therefore be OK, but there could easily be other teams out there who could have also handled RHS' schedule. I am not happy with having to wait the extra week but it is what it is.
Sussex boys will be will tricky, they are gritty

This region is wide open in my opinion between Sussex, Carver, Cumberland, and Riverheads. Franklin could even pull off an upset or two.

I was looking for Riverheads to do better in the district then they did but they might get hot at the right time and make a run. I could be wrong but I don’t think are district has any heavy weights just some good teams

As you guys know from reading my posts all these years, I tend to be very optimistic where Riverheads is concerned. While it is true that they finished at the bottom of the Shenandoah this year with a 3-7 record, there are stories behind that. First of all, three other teams finished just ahead of them at 4-6, so if just ONE game had turned out differently, RHS could have finished anywhere from 3rd to 5th. Also of the Gladiators' seven losses in district play, four of them came by five points or less, one more by 7 points even though they had a double digit lead in the second half, and even the remaining two losses (by 17 at Stuarts Draft and by 13 at Staunton) were better games than they sound. And remember everyone else in our district is either Class 2 or Class 3. So the question to be answered.........was Riverheads just a few bounces here and there away from being fairly even with the other teams in a strong district, which should help them out against Class 1 competition............or was the Shenandoah weak overall, so that the Gladiators will just be facing more of the same level of competition they have already faced and may in fact make a quick exit? I just wish we didn't have to wait an entire week to start finding out!

The Staunton Leader website now has a story online detailing all the local teams that will be involved in playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT