ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4B VHSL Ratings - Oct. 24th

Before Thursday night Monacan and Dinwidie were going to fight it out for 1/2 and Louisa and EV for 3/4. 3 out of 4 EV's OOD lost Thursday all but sealing their fate. Then Dinwiddie and Monacan lost. Now it's Dinwiddie and EV in the 3/4 boat and Louisa and Monacan fighting for 1/2.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Before Thursday night Monacan and Dinwidie were going to fight it out for 1/2 and Louisa and EV for 3/4. 3 out of 4 EV's OOD lost Thursday all but sealing their fate. Then Dinwiddie and Monacan lost. Now it's Dinwiddie and EV in the 3/4 boat and Louisa and Monacan fighting for 1/2.
I understand but this thread was about scheduling. Can poke holes in anyone. At the time of scheduling they scheduled two rivalry games they must play and a playoff team in TA and a state semi team with Bville.

As an AD you need to be able to do the math, predict wins of other teams 2-3 years in the future, and have the networking skills to get the right teams to play you. And that's just for your football team''s schedule.
I assume you just meant this as a generic statement?

Unlike LancerDad, I do know our AD. I assure you he has the necessary math skills, and is as clairvoyant as anyone could be when trying to predict how a football team will perform one, two, or three years down the road.

What you did not point out is, that to a large part, it is beyond the ability of a lone AD to schedule an opponent. First, you have to get a response from a team that you place an inquiry with. A good 50% of the teams reached out to never respond back. Not in just our situation, but in almost every AD's situation. Of the other 50%, most of them have no interest. The few that want to schedule a two game cycle have to see if they can, A). Get the blessing of their Coach, Principal, and in some cases, their school Superintendant, and then B). is there a date in both schools calendar that will work?

Most never realize the work that goes into something that sounds a simple as finding three OOD opponents, (three games in our particular situation.)

Another thing that often occurs is that of simply maintaining a scheduled cycle with a school as a favor.

School A wins 8-10 games a year, school B is fortunate to win 1-2. Sounds like exactly what neither team wants, correct. But, when team A starts looking, nobody wants to schedule a team that they will probably not be able to beat, and team B starts looking and the unsaid thing by potential opponents is, "we will get virtually NO points from playing them". Both AD's are intimately aware of each other's difficulties. And maybe team B agree to play team A a few years ago when they couldn't fill a date? So you don't just kick them to the curb.

The bottom line? It's not as simple as just saying "we are going to play team XYZ next cycle".

It's also not as simple as this team was a playoff team before, etc. You have to look down the road at what they have, what they are losing, as well as every other team on THAT teams schedule.

I can tell you that TA was not a top talked about team in this area, so just looking at past performance doesnt give the whole picture.

That's not to downplay the schedule, it's just to show as DP said there is A LOT more than goes into it than just they were good here, so we couldn't have known etc.

Reactions: Louisadad
Yes, a generic statement. I took a long time to say what you did, "we're going to play XYZ next cycle".
The part of an AD needing others to work with was the networking part of my statement. Some AD's are very personable and friendly and people want to work with them. Others not so much. It's a skill and one that not everyone has.
TLDR: we agree.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I would think that the best case scenario would be to get someone you can beat in a weak district so they will rack up a bunch of wins. It doesn't matter who your opponents beat as long as they win.

LOL, in a perfect world you want all of your opponents to achieve the impossible, 9-1!!!

Yes, a generic statement. I took a long time to say what you did, "we're going to play XYZ next cycle".
The part of an AD needing others to work with was the networking part of my statement. Some AD's are very personable and friendly and people want to work with them. Others not so much. It's a skill and one that not everyone has.
TLDR: we agree.
I like what the networking part can accomplish when it's used for the right reason.

Last edited:
LOL, in a perfect world you want all of your opponents to achieve the impossible, 9-1!!!
That’s the downside in playing a mostly District schedule like Lafayette, while one opponent wins but the other has lost. No real gain. Of course it avoids all of your opponents ending up with a losing record.

That’s the downside in playing a mostly District schedule like Lafayette, while one opponent wins but the other has lost. No real gain. Of course it avoids all of your opponents ending up with a losing record.
Job security type thing. LOL. I never thought of it from that angle. With a 9 game district schedule, as long as you beat all of your opponents, your total points are almost completely guaranteed. A neat benefit for something that I otherwise don't particularly care for.

Who is looking most likely to be the eighth seed in Region A?

Job security type thing. LOL. I never thought of it from that angle. With a 9 game district schedule, as long as you beat all of your opponents, your total points are almost completely guaranteed. A neat benefit for something that I otherwise don't particularly care for.

Who is looking most likely to be the eighth seed in Region A?
Right now struggling Smithfield. After getting wiped out by Poquoson 4 days ago at 55-0 and was 48-0 at halftime they are having some problems. May be seeing us in first round but here this time.

Right now struggling Smithfield. After getting wiped out by Poquoson 4 days ago at 55-0 and was 48-0 at halftime they are having some problems. May be seeing us in first round but here this time.
Yeah, gwb was at that game. He was highly disappointed in every aspect of the Packers efforts.

I'm really kind of shocked. When we played them they did a good job. We had more depth and were probably better conditioned, but they didn't just lay down and quit. I get the impression that is what they did this week.

48-0 at the half was bad! I guess you saw where Manchester had it at 70-0 over Hermitage with 6 minutes to go in the first half? Now that is really sad. Manchester was substituting long before it got that bad. Hermitage just stopped trying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT