ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4B

May 22, 2016
Yes the seedings are crazy for this region. Caroline could possibly play Easter View, Courtland or King George. That district have quite a few teams in the region. Caroline have taken care of all those teams. If they not playing for the Region’s Championship it will be the biggest upset to date in 4A Ball.

Yes the seedings are crazy for this region. Caroline could possibly play Easter View, Courtland or King George. That district have quite a few teams in the region. Caroline have taken care of all those teams. If they not playing for the Region’s Championship it will be the biggest upset to date in 4A Ball.
But also Caroline could lose to any of those teams too. IMO it wouldn’t be that big of an upset. Courtland lost to Caroline by only a few points every time they played. EV beat Caroline in Caroline and KG has the team to do it just not sure they have the coaching to do it

I think coaches have done a good job for the most part. Players themselves play the game and need to step up during this time of the season. It’s not game one anymore no excuses.

I think coaches have done a good job for the most part. Players themselves play the game and need to step up during this time of the season. It’s not game one anymore no excuses.
Players play the game but everyone knows high school sports can be all about coaching. The coaching at KG is a little inexperienced with that group. If the courtland coach would have stayed at KG I’m sure that KG team would be a lot different from where it’s at now.

How can that be the biggest upset when Caroline has lost to EV and almost lost to the other?

Reactions: OCBoy
It’s a new season now this time of the year. I think most have Caroline as winning this region. So you guys don’t think there can be an upset, I do. To me either of the top 4 can take a L. If a 5 seed or lower come out on top yes that’s an upset.

Surely an upset, but I wouldn't call it the "biggest upset to date in 4A". I'd say that about a team like Loudoun Valley losing early.

What teams in 4B have a downlow presence besides Courtland?

It’s a new season now this time of the year. I think most have Caroline as winning this region. So you guys don’t think there can be an upset, I do. To me either of the top 4 can take a L. If a 5 seed or lower come out on top yes that’s an upset.
I definitely wouldn't expect them to loose.....and they should be favored, but it wouldn't surprise if either Caroline or Louisa lost.

I definitely wouldn't expect them to loose.....and they should be favored, but it wouldn't surprise if either Caroline or Louisa lost.
Moving forward, I would be shocked if either Caroline or Louisa would beat LV or LT. Handley is in the same category as Caroline/Louisa for me.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Moving forward, I would be shocked if either Caroline or Louisa would beat LV or LT. Handley is in the same category as Caroline/Louisa for me.
Well handley and LV will meet in the Semifinals if they both win their first game against 4D champion/ runner up. I look for the final four to be Lake Taylor Huegunot Loudoun Valley Handley

Reactions: mccall33
The guy from KG is a good post player if he can stay in the game (fouls) and if the coach uses him correctly.....2 big "ifs" though.
Indeed, but also the problem for KG is that they honestly do not have the guards or the overall supporting cast around Stepney to sustain a run. Yes, they did beat EV and they played JM close once and Courtland close once, but they also lost to Spotsy twice.

Courtland is a big threat IMO. Their inside game and physical defense enabled them to play Caroline tough in two out of the three games they played. They also swept JM and honestly should’ve beaten EV at least one of the two times they met. The Cougars could really be positioned well to make a nice run here.

You can put Handley in any category you want but I guarantee they are 1 of 3 teams that can win STATES. Caroline and Louisa are not on that level. Handley was down 4 TO LV in the last 90 seconds with 3 times the fouls called on them. They lost to Maury by 5 without their 2nd best player. They had one bad game on the road against Spotswood.

Reactions: mccall33
You can put Handley in any category you want but I guarantee they are 1 of 3 teams that can win STATES. Caroline and Louisa are not on that level. Handley was down 4 TO LV in the last 90 seconds with 3 times the fouls called on them. They lost to Maury by 5 without their 2nd best player. They had one bad game on the road against Spotswood.
In the loss to Spotswood, the Blazers were 23 of 25 from the foul line.

Handley is tough but a little too guard oriented. Would like to see them play GW Danville in the next few weeks.

I agree... 4A vs 4C for state championship

I'm only going off of one game that I saw Handley play at EV. EV had them beat and let it slip away at the end. EV is a scrappy team, but I think they would loose by 20+ to LV or LT. Now Handley might be one of those teams that can play with the top teams, while at the same time play down to other competition. I just didn't get the impression that they were a dominant team. EV played Wythe a few weeks ago and they looked a lot better than Handley.

I'm only going off of one game that I saw Handley play at EV. EV had them beat and let it slip away at the end. EV is a scrappy team, but I think they would loose by 20+ to LV or LT. Now Handley might be one of those teams that can play with the top teams, while at the same time play down to other competition. I just didn't get the impression that they were a dominant team. EV played Wythe a few weeks ago and they looked a lot better than Handley.
John Marshall and George Wythe are better than most competition in 4A. And that Handley game you may be referring to was last year.

Guys I really don't think any of these 4B teams are dominant over the others when we start talking about the top 5-6 teams. I guess we are about to find out. I would not be shocked if any of them lost or won. Would it really be a MAJOR upset if Caroline didn't win region B? I'd say that is a bit extreme.

It may be a bit extreme but, I’m only using the word upset do to most people thinking they’re coming out the region as champs. I do believe though this region will produce a few classic type of games. If teams play at its best I think Louisa and Caroline will have their hands full but still will meet for the ship.

Reactions: mbonape1
Guys I really don't think any of these 4B teams are dominant over the others when we start talking about the top 5-6 teams. I guess we are about to find out. I would not be shocked if any of them lost or won. Would it really be a MAJOR upset if Caroline didn't win region B? I'd say that is a bit extreme.
Any team that beats Louisa or Caroline wont be an upset. Both of those teams are very beatable in a very average region. I said it before I wouldn't be surprised if Caroline or Louisa both didn't make it to the regional championship. If any team is to beat them I would say Monacan beating Caroline and Huegunot or Midlothian beating Louisa.

Not buying that either one will get beat before they play each other
Why not? Tell me what Caroline or Louisa has that Huegunot or Monacan doesn’t? You put Monacan and Huegunot in the Jefferson or battlefield and they would have similar records to Caroline Louisa. They both will be battle tested before they face Caroline Louisa

@OCBoy I wouldn't call Huguenot battle tested. They've lost to or gotten blown out by every good team they've played (split with Monacan), with a bad loss to James River. And I don't think strength of schedule matters that much in basketball. Look at VCU's basketball team this season as one example. They hung with UVA and Texas, got crushed by Dayton and UR.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
@OCBoy I wouldn't call Huguenot battle tested. They've lost to or gotten blown out by every good team they've played (split with Monacan), with a bad loss to James River. And I don't think strength of schedule matters that much in basketball. Look at VCU's basketball team this season as one example. They hung with UVA and Texas, got crushed by Dayton and UR.
Compare those teams to Louisa

@OCBoy I haven't seen them, so I can't compare them. I haven't seen Caroline either. I've been waiting for you to do it, since you've seen all four teams. But I can confidently say Louisa has some of the most overall length most people see on a high school team. And if Poindexter were playing, they'd probably have the best shooter on the floor in every game.

@OCBoy I haven't seen them, so I can't compare them. I haven't seen Caroline either. I've been waiting for you to do it, since you've seen all four teams. But I can confidently say Louisa has some of the most overall length most people see on a high school team. And if Poindexter were playing, they'd probably have the best shooter on the floor in every game.
Lol obviously I haven’t seen them in person or else I wouldn’t have to ask for comparisons. And here go the IF’s.....

Lol obviously I haven’t seen them in person or else I wouldn’t have to ask for comparisons. And here go the IF’s.....
So basically the only things to back up your strong opinions are "those teams play in Richmond" and "other teams fans on a message board hype up their team too much".

I’ve seen Louisa play all year. I’ve seen Caroline beat Louisa in a game that Louisa quite honestly should have won. There are some good talent in the Richmond area. The Jefferson District is still a tough district. @OCBoy To me Louisa deserves its ranking right where VAPreps have them. I’m just hoping for a Louisa/Caroline rematch. I believe Louisa had one of the toughest 4A schedules this year too.

Louisa is a good ball club and so is Caroline. They played fine schedules. I just don't think any one team is head and shoulders above the others in this region.

The dominion district is tough with GW and Bird twice for each Dominion team. JR somehow gave teams trouble. They won a few they shouldn't have but they aren't bad. Midlo is decent and can beat you if you take them lightly. Monacan and Huguenot are pretty even. Both can def send you home but they are a little too inconsistent for my taste as most athlete centric teams are. When they are on they are on though. Huguenot appears to be surging at the right time.

I just don't think any team is a runaway favorite. I believe that Louisa and Caroline can play ball and have a slightly better chance at advancing bc of consistency. I believe them to be the most consistent night in and night out.

I think the 4a conference statewide is down this year compared to the last couple of years.

So basically the only things to back up your strong opinions are "those teams play in Richmond" and "other teams fans on a message board hype up their team too much".
See you wanna go there let’s go.... don’t think I’m the one you want to go there with. Yes I’ve seen them play on film not in person. And if that were the case of those teams being from Richmond it could be quite credible. I have an opinion on here just like everyone else. If I choose to say something out of what I know and have seen for myself then I’ll do it. And if Louisa is the only team you’ve seen then you need to take a few seats because all your doing is trying to boast Louisa and them beating Albemarle.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT