ADVERTISEMENT

Region A Championship #1 Lafayette vs #2 Lake Taylor

Who wins

• Lake Taylor

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Lafayette

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters
LT is always a tough out and I have been thoroughly impressed with Lafayette since they moved up to 4a - been right in the post-season mix year every year! Two great programs right here!

LT v Eastern View will be a dandy next week!
Back to 3a next few years. LT will be tough next year as their Qb and big RB are Sophs! Entire team was fast and quick. But not many fans? Maybe 150.

In a nutshell, Lafayette’s defense could not contain the veer all night especially when the QB kept the ball. On offense the running game worked well in spurts but the over thrown passes, two for certain TDs were key. The Qb usually on target, was not tonite. The pass rush was intense. LT was the far better team.
Yea what about the two long runs called back for LT? One was a TD the other down to the 2. Those are for certain two scores left on the field for LT. Bottom line is like the past teams that have defeated Lafayette in the playoffs LT matched their intensity up front and beat them up. Lafayette is used to overwhelming their opponents up front and tonigh it was the other way around. Lafayette’s TDs came on their first possession of the 1st half and 2nd half in between that it was tough sledding.

Reactions: OCBoy
Back to 3a next few years. LT will be tough next year as their Qb and big RB are Sophs! Entire team was fast and quick. But not many fans? Maybe 150.
LT NEVER had had a huge fan base. Been complaining about this for years.

Yea what about the two long runs called back for LT? One was a TD the other down to the 2. Those are for certain two scores left on the field for LT. Bottom line is like the past teams that have defeated Lafayette in the playoffs LT matched their intensity up front and beat them up. Lafayette is used to overwhelming their opponents up front and tonigh it was the other way around. Lafayette’s TDs came on their first possession of the 1st half and 2nd half in between that it was tough sledding.
You forget Lafayette got down to LT’s 5 yard line right before the half but little time and no time outs left left that score on the field and the wide open Lafayette #22 downfield for an easy TD in the 4thQ that was overthrown. Tough sledding but there were opportunities besides the two scores.

You forget Lafayette got down to LT’s 5 yard line right before the half but little time and no time outs left left that score on the field and the wide open Lafayette #22 downfield for an easy TD in the 4thQ that was overthrown. Tough sledding but there were opportunities besides the two scores.
Bottom line both teams left some plays out there, but let’s not take away from the fact LT controlled the game. How did Lafayette get there? One of their 7-8 PI calls they received? Got down to the 5 and got sacked with no timeouts. That was a clock management issue. We are talking about bonafide plays called back-LT vs missed opportunities-Lafayette. The QB missed the mark.

Last edited:
Bottom line both teams left some plays out there, but let’s not take away from the fact LT controlled the game. How did Lafayette get there? One of their 7-8 PI calls they received? Got down to the 5 and got sacked with no timeouts. That was a clock management issue. We are talking about bonafide plays called back-LT vs missed opportunities-Lafayette. The QB missed the mark.
I said to the fans around me we will know defensively in the first 5 minutes how the game would go. LT controlled the game and continually gashed the Lafayette defense. The Lafayette offense was going for first downs with each snap, LT was going for TD’s. When you are forced to throw and you are a wing T team, it’s a problem, and these problems usually occur In the playoffs when the competition is a step up and you may get behind,

Well said Lafayette. The Rams defense is always tough; however, although executed well their bland offense seems to let them down.

Well said Lafayette. The Rams defense is always tough; however, although executed well their bland offense seems to let them down.
Right on BN! The wing T is in my opinion a tough offense to win deep in the playoffs as the passing game is always going to be needed at that stage but your QB and receivers just haven’t got the reps to adjust and be effective.

I said to the fans around me we will know defensively in the first 5 minutes how the game would go. LT controlled the game and continually gashed the Lafayette defense. The Lafayette offense was going for first downs with each snap, LT was going for TD’s. When you are forced to throw and you are a wing T team, it’s a problem, and these problems usually occur In the playoffs when the competition is a step up and you may get behind,
I stated earlier in the week that the offense would struggle against the LT defense. They put everyone up close and dare you to throw. They bring a lot of pressure so plays are ran faster than QB are use to.

Reactions: Lafayette
LT NEVER had had a huge fan base. Been complaining about this for years.
They have a lot of "fans" that show up for the state championship game after not seeing them play all season. They probably had 3x more fans in the state championship game than they had during their playoff home games for two seasons.

They have a lot of "fans" that show up for the state championship game after not seeing them play all season. They probably had 3x more fans in the state championship game than they had during their playoff home games for two seasons.
Straight facts

The stats tell it all:

Lafayette total yards 137 averaging 3 yards a rush and 8 yards on their 4 completions. Lafayette averaged nearly 350 during the season.

Lake Taylor total yards 419, averaging nearly 8 yards per rush and 25 yards per catch on their six completions.

Lafayette also lost the punt battle with Tyler out who is also the punter besides top Rb as they averaged 18 yards on their 4 punts( honestly I can punt better) with Lt only punting once.
Lafayette did win the penalty battle, 33 yards to 134.

Last edited:
Congrats to LT. They deserved to win last night. They made the plays that we didn’t. The 2 screen plays really hurt and I think changed the game. Lafayette actually sustained longer drives but the big plays and turnovers were the difference. 14-14 in the 3rd quarter and then the wheels came off the bus.

Lafayette did things last night to beat themselves that I haven’t seen in years. Multiple pre-snap penalties, horrible kicking game, blown assignments etc. LT is a good team and took advantage of it. Hats off to them.

Good luck to all still in it moving forward.

Congrats to LT. They deserved to win last night. They made the plays that we didn’t. The 2 screen plays really hurt and I think changed the game. Lafayette actually sustained longer drives but the big plays and turnovers were the difference. 14-14 in the 3rd quarter and then the wheels came off the bus.

Lafayette did things last night to beat themselves that I haven’t seen in years. Multiple pre-snap penalties, horrible kicking game, blown assignments etc. LT is a good team and took advantage of it. Hats off to them.

I am still trying to fiqure out how on a 40 man roster of Lafayette’s caliber no one can punt the ball, at all!

Great season by the Rams the game went as I thought. I knew Jeff would be the difference with his running ability and LT would be able to block Lafayette consistently up front.

Well, that one stung for obvious reasons, but it's my turn to congratulate LT w/a tip of the cap...they were as advertised; aggressive, physical and athletic...I'd be surprised if they didn't win it all.

Reactions: Lafayette
Well, that one stung for obvious reasons, but it's my turn to congratulate LT w/a tip of the cap...they were as advertised; aggressive, physical and athletic...I'd be surprised if they didn't win it all.
What's your take on the 2 teams that limited their scoring this year. Both 3A teams (Phoebus and Norcom). Did they both use the same formula?

What's your take on the 2 teams that limited their scoring this year. Both 3A teams (Phoebus and Norcom). Did they both use the same formula?
Both teams are solid defensively as you can see from their 7-6 3OT regional final they just played. LT was banged up with their best playmaker out I believe. Also the Phoebus game concluded a stretch of like 3 games in 10 days for LT. It was something crazy like that because of the weather.

Reactions: mbonape1
Both teams are solid defensively as you can see from their 7-6 3OT regional final they just played. LT was banged up with their best playmaker out I believe. Also the Phoebus game concluded a stretch of like 3 games in 10 days for LT. It was something crazy like that because of the weather.
I don't know. It seems like there has to be something else to it. If LT's scheme is drastically reduced do to 1 real good player, then I wouldn't be too worried. These 2 teams must be using a similar defensive scheme to slow down that veer.

I don't know. It seems like there has to be something else to it. If LT's scheme is drastically reduced do to 1 real good player, then I wouldn't be too worried. These 2 teams must be using a similar defensive scheme to slow down that veer.
They both have played LT multiple times in the past and are familiar with the veer. That is a big adavantage as on film you can’t really see it. I looked at the LT /Phoebus game on tape and it just seemed very different in person.

I don't know anything about either one, honestly, but they both play LT every year, so they're familiar w/defending the veer...now, both of those teams are solid on defense, as DEVILS said, but I think Lafayette was better than solid and look what happened to them. In my opinion, LT has a real advantage when they play someone for the first time, simply based on their unique offensive and defensive schemes/styles...w/the athletes they have, it's virtually impossible for their opponents to try and simulate in practice.

Looks like Lafayette and I were on the same page....

Kid was first team all district KR, PR, WR, and DB. Would be like taking Hunter off EV last year for a couple of games against state level competition. Also these teams like Rams said play yearly so they have years of film and knowing what works best. Put it this way...LT drove the field to beat Phoebus and I’m sure they scored more points on Phoebus than anyone else all year or close to it.

Kid was first team all district KR, PR, WR, and DB. Would be like taking Hunter off EV last year for a couple of games against state level competition. Also these teams like Rams said play yearly so they have years of film and knowing what works best. Put it this way...LT drove the field to beat Phoebus and I’m sure they scored more points on Phoebus than anyone else all year or close to it.
Yep, LT scored the most on Phoebus at 21. Second highest was New Kent in the playoffs at 16.

LT is very beatable. Lafayette just didn’t make the plays to do it. Lafayette did drive the ball down the field multiple times but ultimately did themselves in with really poor execution, penalities, kicking game and turnovers. Obviously LT had something to do with the poor Lafayette execution.

Keys are:
1. Be able to consistently throw the ball. LT will give you the chance make plays in the passing game. Need to capitalize. When they are beat they will hold and PI your receivers. They’ll take the penalty rather than give up the play.
2. Be able to protect to get the ball off.
3. Be able to get to the edge in the run game. LT does a good job of taking away inside run.
4. Focus on limiting screen game to #3. Kid is a stud and will win all 1 on 1s.
5. Make #2 beat you throwing the ball downfield. He is an elusive runner and runs the option really well. Doesn’t like to pitch.
6. Pay attention to #1. Seems like he has the tools and could be dangerous but #3, 2 and 12 were more impactful on our game.
7. Must keep your kids focused and ignore the noise that’s coming. It was a smack talking circus during pre-game and I could hear it in the stands. LT players talk non-stop, coaches seem to encourage it or certainly don’t limit it.

Before the Churchland AD gets upset, I’m not taking anything away from how they beat Lafayette last week. As stated earlier, they deserved to win. Like anyone though, and as Norcom proved, they are beatable and very susceptible to the passing game.

Good luck to both sides and congrats on playing for a state title game opportunity!

Last edited:
Yep, LT scored the most on Phoebus at 21. Second highest was New Kent in the playoffs at 16.
Not down-playing his abilities at all. Just saying I assume there are other guys to worry about if you focus on trying to shut him down.

Not down-playing his abilities at all. Just saying I assume there are other guys to worry about if you focus on trying to shut him down.
The Qb, Foster can pass very well and runs the veer option extremely well. But his running and quickness and speed are exceptional. He has a big time receiver in Javon Harvey who is dangerous. Malik Newton at RB is big at 6 2 and 215 and is fast and a good receiver on those screens. The other back, McNair and TE Wright contribute well. Everyone is aggressive and athletic- no paunchy 250-275 guys like on most HS teams. It’s the pressure of the 9 box that is difficult to prepare for. It’s speed and ability cuts off the outside runs and forces the Qb to throw earlier than he wants. Our Qb overthrew two passes to open receivers for TDs. It was the pressure that caused it. I think LT had 5 or 6 sacks. What did work at times was the pitch outs to our RBs. What we did not use I would advise EV to use is some shorter crossing patterns. They play man to man and those routes from the shotgun would work. We went to the shotgun some of the time but always longer pass routes.

The Qb, Foster can pass very well and runs the veer option extremely well. But his running and quickness and speed are exceptional. He has a big time receiver in Javon Harvey who is dangerous. Malik Newton at RB is big at 6 2 and 215 and is fast and a good receiver on those screens. The other back, McNair and TE Wright contribute well. Everyone is aggressive and athletic- no paunchy 250-275 guys like on most HS teams. It’s the pressure of the 9 box that is difficult to prepare for. It’s speed and ability cuts off the outside runs and forces the Qb to throw earlier than he wants. Our Qb overthrew two passes to open receivers for TDs. It was the pressure that caused it. I think LT had 5 or 6 sacks. What did work at times was the pitch outs to our RBs. What we did not use I would advise EV to use is some shorter crossing patterns. They play man to man and those routes from the shotgun would work. We went to the shotgun some of the time but always longer pass routes.
9 in the box? How is that possible? If you put 4 WR's in they gotta switch something.

Lake Taylor will play press man coverage with no safety help. The rest will be inside the tackle box.

LT is very beatable. Lafayette just didn’t make the plays to do it. Lafayette did drive the ball down the field multiple times but ultimately did themselves in with really poor execution, penalities, kicking game and turnovers. Obviously LT had something to do with the poor Lafayette execution.

Keys are:
1. Be able to consistently throw the ball. LT will give you the chance make plays in the passing game. Need to capitalize. When they are beat they will hold and PI your receivers. They’ll take the penalty rather than give up the play.
2. Be able to protect to get the ball off.
3. Be able to get to the edge in the run game. LT does a good job of taking away inside run.
4. Focus on limiting screen game to #3. Kid is a stud and will win all 1 on 1s.
5. Make #2 beat you throwing the ball downfield. He is an elusive runner and runs the option really well. Doesn’t like to pitch.
6. Pay attention to #1. Seems like he has the tools and could be dangerous but #3, 2 and 12 were more impactful on our game.
7. Must keep your kids focused and ignore the noise that’s coming. It was a smack talking circus during pre-game and I could hear it in the stands. LT players talk non-stop, coaches seem to encourage it or certainly don’t limit it.

Before the Churchland AD gets upset, I’m not taking anything away from how they beat Lafayette last week. As stated earlier, they deserved to win. Like anyone though, and as Norcom proved, they are beatable and very susceptible to the passing game.

Good luck to both sides and congrats on playing for a state title game opportunity!
Upset for what? All valid points...As evident by their one loss they aren't unbeatable. There are opportunities to be had, but you gotta make them. Everyone that has played LT knows this...Great season by the Rams.

Upset for what? All valid points...As evident by their one loss they aren't unbeatable. There are opportunities to be had, but you gotta make them. Everyone that has played LT knows this...Great season by the Rams.
Yes , Lafayette had a great season, just ended earlier than expected. I really thought this edition would get over the hump and get to the final in Liberty. Next year in class 3 and seeing Phoebus, Hopewell and Norcom in some fashion. Will miss the usual suspects in class 4.

Is EV a spread offense team?
I'm not smart enough to know what they actually run. Years ago it was apparent they ran the spread. Over the past several years they've had the line/RB's to power-run at you as much as they want, while still having very good WR's and QB's. Somebody smarter than me will have to tell you what that's called. In general they are very diverse. Last year when they couldn't run it against Dinwiddie, they threw it for a lot of yards. This year against Dinwiddie they ran it for a lot of yards.

They run a variation of the spread, but like most teams they try to establish the run using the read option. Lowry and Holmes are a good one two punch. EV ran some run, pass, option stuff against us as well on Friday. Didn't need to pass cause we couldn't stop the run. Lowry will need to find someone else besides Leake if forced to pass. LT can flat cover.

They run a variation of the spread, but like most teams they try to establish the run using the read option. Lowry and Holmes are a good one two punch. EV ran some run, pass, option stuff against us as well on Friday. Didn't need to pass cause we couldn't stop the run. Lowry will need to find someone else besides Leake if forced to pass. LT can flat cover.
I hope the EV QB has some real good quick feet. They come at you at full speed.

They are going to have to get Chance Graves and Noah Proctor involved. Proctor is a pure athlete and doesn’t get enough touches.

They are going to have to get Chance Graves and Noah Proctor involved. Proctor is a pure athlete and doesn’t get enough touches.
I've never seen a team play EV receivers straight up with no safety help. That will be interesting to see. Leake, Proctor, Spangler, Graves and others are very good athletes. If O-line can give the QB 3-4 seconds it will be interesting.

I've never seen a team play EV receivers straight up with no safety help. That will be interesting to see. Leake, Proctor, Spangler, Graves and others are very good athletes. If O-line can give the QB 3-4 seconds it will be interesting.
That’s the problem the o line has been missing assignments since the Louisa game and they have been breaking down

Nobody in Class 4 is going to run well against LT...to move the ball consistently, you'll have to get some yardage through the air. They make you earn everything...even if you burn 'em on a pass play, you've got to do it again and again, 'cause they don't change their defensive strategy at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT