ADVERTISEMENT

Region A Top 10 Boys Soccer teams and notes (last week of reg season)

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Top 12 Region A Boys Soccer teams (as of May 5th, 2019)

Top 6
1) Windsor 8-2-1
2) Rappahannock 9-2
3) Franklin 7-5
4) West Point (?) see notes, no AD at WP?
5) Washington and Lee 7-4
6) Northumberland 7-3-2

Bottom 6
7) Mathews 5-7
8) Middlesex 4-6
9) Northampton 2-6-1
10) Essex 0-11-1
11) Lancaster 1-8
12) Surry - were losing, team quit, forfeited 0-12?

Reactions: Soccerfan98
notes -

1) Since the upset by Northumberland, Rappahannock has run off 5 wins in a row by a combined score of 30-4.

Rapp's Edward Headley has emerged as a scoring sensation to add to the many others. Rapp will be hard to stop in the playoffs.

Rematch - Rapp travels to Northumberland this Wednesday.

2) W&L has significantly improved over last season - credit to long term coach RJ Sudduth and his players.

3) Northumberland's has only 3 losses- scores were all 0-1 and lost at the end of games (one a PK). Will a money striker emerge to carry them through the playoffs?

5) I am not sure what West Point's record is? No update since March 24th - only school in region A to not follow VHSL's directions and update scores - did WP lose their AD like that beloved, longtime French teacher who was dismissed in the Fall? A recent WP graduate recently told me things have changed at WP....

6) Windsor and Franklin at the top???? We shall see...last time I saw Windsor, they were down 4-0 in the 1st 10 minutes v an old powerhouse Neck team, who put all the subs in after that. Let's assume that they have improved. I hope so.

Reactions: MGF
Thank you for all the info us soccer guys really appreciate it but let's try and keep it about soccer and the kids and not about teachers. West Point has posted all there scores @ tidewaterdistrict.org. The only score not posted that 1 saw was from 5/1 They lost to Mathews 1-0 which they tied the 1st game they played 2-2. They lost to Rapp 2-1 and they beat Washington and Lee early in the season 2-1but like you said W&L is much improved Congrats to those kids and the coaches. West Points hiccup was a tie to Essex??? Lol Mathews has had a tough schedule Gloucester 7-0 Poquoson 2-0 Northumberland 5-4 Rapp 2-1 and 6-1 and the lost to King William twice. There also missing Multiple starters over the last few weeks and I believe Middlesex is in the same injury boat as Mathews but I'm guessing a few teams could be like that @ the end of the season. And thats about all i know about the Tidewater.

Thanks again for the info not many people are posting so i thank you sir

Reactions: MGF and uvacavs1
According to what's posted and the loss to Mathews you mentioned, WP only has 4 wins then?

WP just played a 2-1 game to top Rapp (they would destroy Windsor who will get the top seed it looks like) but tied Essex?

The top Tidewater and NND teams will be in the final four (is my prediction, even though two other teams are rated in top 3 now)

As for the AD, I think that WP did lose their good AD from last year so maybe they do not have one this year? There was a lot of confusion as to who would be the football coach too. New leaders I guess... KW people probably think it is amusing...good luck to WP.

Wnl 7-4-1 not sure that changes anything

Thanks - just accidentally left out the tie- a big one v Northumberland!

It does make a difference. W&L may be ahead of West Point but it is real close. That would make W&L 4th.

If I can get an accurate record on WP, Northumberland may slip ahead of WP as well.

According to what's posted and the loss to Mathews you mentioned, WP only has 4 wins then?

WP just played a 2-1 game to top Rapp (they would destroy Windsor who will get the top seed it looks like) but tied Essex?

The top Tidewater and NND teams will be in the final four (is my prediction, even though two other teams are rated in top 3 now)

As for the AD, I think that WP did lose their good AD from last year so maybe they do not have one this year? There was a lot of confusion as to who would be the football coach too. New leaders I guess... KW people probably think it is amusing...good luck to WP.
It’s a miracle how West Point only lost 2-1 to rapp, WPs Goalie had at least 40 touches on the ball. They have an AD (he coached the West Point State basketball team when they played against Thornhill) He left WP soon after and just came back this year to be AD. They also got a new football coach and principal this year:

New principal is the biggest change at WP. Mark Dorsey had been in the building as an administrator at WP for QUITE a long time before moving on to Hampton City to boost his retirement.

French teacher was beloved (from what I’ve been told) but not long-time. Not sure when Polly Harrell retired, but it was well after 2000.

I know WP TRIED to hire a new football coach last spring/summer, but the same guy as before continued as HC once August rolled around. Has WP actually hired a new FB coach?

New principal is the biggest change at WP. Mark Dorsey had been in the building as an administrator at WP for QUITE a long time before moving on to Hampton City to boost his retirement.

French teacher was beloved (from what I’ve been told) but not long-time. Not sure when Polly Harrell retired, but it was well after 2000.

I know WP TRIED to hire a new football coach last spring/summer, but the same guy as before continued as HC once August rolled around. Has WP actually hired a new FB coach?
West Point hired a new football coach, a couple of months ago. Jack Lawson, who previously had been the jv coach. Very good guy and well respected by everyone in the community.

Also WP did hire a new coach last year, but he then resigned to take a job in Northern Virginia, so Coach Briggs returned as coach. Coach Briggs has since moved to North Carolina and is an assistant coach on a team down there.

Reactions: WP02alum
In the battle for 1st place for the NND regular season title and between the Region A 2 and 3 seeds (NHS and W&L were tied), Rapp won 2-1 in a thriller.

With a good size, loud crowd cheering both sides on in Northumberland, Rapp scored literally with less than 5 seconds left in the game (after taking a free kick from right outside the 18). NHS had missed a PK earlier in the game.

Rapp's Edward Headley (see the above post in the notes about Rapp) scored both big time goals- setting off celebrations on one side and heartbreak on the other.

NHS' Bay Wiggins scored a pretty goal in the 2nd half to make it 1-1. NHS goalie Joe Schindler made a few spectacular saves to keep the Indians in the game.

W&L continues playing well with a 5-1 whipping of Lancaster.

Standings after last night's games.

1. Windsor-6.54 (1 game remaining)
2. Rapp-6.00 (2 games remaining)
3. W&L-5.19 (2 games remaining)
4. Franklin-4.79 (1 game remaining)
5. Northumberland-4.64 (regular season completed)
6. West Point-4.40 (3 games remaining)
7. Mathews-4.17 (regular season completed)
8. Middlesex-3.00 (2 games remaining)
9. Northampton-2.80 (2 games remaining)
10. Essex-1.12 (2 games remaining)
11. Lancaster-0.82 (2 games remaining)

The top groups look solid, but there's some teams here in the middle of the pack that could be dangerous when the tournament starts up. West Point is always a tough team to play and Mathews is getting healthy and playing some decent ball lately.

Not sure what you mean by no love for the 2 or 3 seed Rapp is the favorite to win it all lol. Looks like Play2win said the top looks solid. I think the top includes 2 and 3 lol

When 4 of the 5 best teams in Region A are in one bracket that is what I was saying. And it was a complement to those teams because all 4 are very very good.

Ok I see what your saying cause Rapp will have to play Mathews and W&L would play West Point. My opinion for top 4 teams in the region would be

1.) Rapp
2.) W&L
3.) Northumberland
4.) Mathews
5.) Would be a toss up of Windsor and West Point

Reactions: uvacavs1
Great to see my friends VHSL FOOTBALLER and MGF on here!!! Hope you guys do great in the tournament! I know you both are very proud!!! Good luck Pointers!!!

RAPP won the NND regular season title for the 4th year in a row on Wednesday night, 4-0 at W&L (who was still in contention). It might be the 5th year in a row for Rapp (unless WL won in 2015. Essex won in 2014 and many years before that.)

NND Soccer Playoffs

Tonight 1 RAPP wins 8-0 over 4 Lancaster (who had knocked Essex out in the play in game). Edward Headly with the hat trick, 5 other Raiders scored.

2 W&L wins over 3 Northumberland 1-0. The Eagles broke through in the final 10 minutes of the game.

NHS has lost 5 games this season ( all by 1 goal, 4 by a score of 1-0, and all in the final 12 minutes of the game. If NHS can score a bit more....

WL at RAPP for NND Tourney Title on Monday (I think)

Then the Regions start!!!

Tidewater district tournament got kicked off with Middlesex the 4 seed pulling out the upset against #1 seed King William 2-1. They played twice in the regular season with King William winning both games 5-0. Congrats to the kids from Middlesex.

2nd games was #2 Mathews beating #3 West Point 7-1 not sure what happened to West Point. Mathews will host Middlesex Monday for the district championships. Best of luck to both teams.

Tidewater district tournament got kicked off with Middlesex the 4 seed pulling out the upset against #1 seed King William 2-1. They played twice in the regular season with King William winning both games 5-0. Congrats to the kids from Middlesex.

2nd games was #2 Mathews beating #3 West Point 7-1 not sure what happened to West Point. Mathews will host Middlesex Monday for the district championships. Best of luck to both teams.
Mathews came out hot with their freshman striker who put on a great show

West Point came out slow missing 3 starters and left two early fouls to Mathews which led to 2 Free kick goals. With 10 min left in the first half, West Point’s fearless keeper charged out near the top of the 18 towards Mathews freshman striker who put on a show tonight and went down and left the game to an injury. They had to play the rest of the game with a backup keeper who’s had no experience all season, It all went down hill from there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT