Region B #1 Louisa vs. #4 PH-Ashland

Who Wins?

• Louisa Co.

Votes: 38 65.5%
  • PH-Ashland

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Come on man, don't blame the JD like always. The JD had nothing to do with this. Louisa beat Ponax, and look what Ponax just did to undefeated Freedom in their first year in Class 6. Louisa losing two key pieces of the offense had more to do with tonight's loss than the JD did.
Maybe but the JD is falling on hard times. I think the duration of a tough schedule helps a team improve. Louisa has not been in a battle since the Ponax game. Don’t blame injuries either that’s part of the game. You thought the offense would be more dynamic with Hunter. PH did something right to hold a team scoring 42 points a game to 15. I just believe the magic mineral runs are going to stop for a while. Louisa will continue to win the JD but dont see a deep run next year in playoffs. In our area Louisa is the team to beat so not saying they are trash but when you are constantly battle tested I think this makes you better for games like tonight is all. Good luck to PH.

Maybe but the JD is falling on hard times. I think the duration of a tough schedule helps a team improve. Louisa has not been in a battle since the Ponax game. Don’t blame injuries either that’s part of the game. You thought the offense would be more dynamic with Hunter. PH did something right to hold a team scoring 42 points a game to 15. I just believe the magic mineral runs are going to stop for a while. Louisa will continue to win the JD but dont see a deep run next year in playoffs. In our area Louisa is the team to beat so not saying they are trash but when you are constantly battle tested I think this makes you better for games like tonight is all. Good luck to PH.
I’ve changed my mind on that theory. I use to believe the same. I think if your team plays tough games every year at some point then you don’t have to play a lot of them every year. They just got beat by a team that played tough.

I'm not blaming the injuries. I knew you would say that. I'm making the point that they were more important than the schedule, because the schedule had absolutely nothing to do with the loss.

I'm not blaming the injuries. I knew you would say that. I'm making the point that they were more important than the schedule, because the schedule had absolutely nothing to do with the loss.
Got it. Well that’s your opinion. We are glad to see those defensive players leave. Good luck next year.

I heard that PH defense was just pushing Louisa around most the game. Louisa couldn’t match their physicality. I wasn’t there though and can’t say for sure. Seemed like a heck of a game to watch though.
U would be correct

A complete cakewalk is one thing but really don't think you need to load up just to "prepare" for the POs. When Salem made finals 4 years in a row the RRD was anywhere between bad and putrid. Clemson would be an example of this working in college. Doesn't matter that the ACC is garbage, they still steamrolled Bama because they were simply the better team. Cream always rise to the top.

I can see why he went for 2. I don't agree with it, but it can't be changed now. We had just completed a great drive, had all the momentum, there was still too much time left, and 2 points would've forced PH to score a TD. It was already obvious that PH had a great kicker, he would've booted a 40+ yarder easily if he had to. Plus we had missed a PAT earlier, so who knows if it would've happened again or not.

That leads me to something I've wondered all year: why does #35 kick PATs and not #43, the kid from Spain? He hit the 47 yard FG against Courtland. #35 has missed some PATs all year.

Coaches have tough decisions to make and that’s the decision he thought would put his team in a position to win the game.

Take for example Nicky Saban in the Championship game a few years ago. He benched Jalen Hurts at halftime and went with true Freshman Tua and ended up winning. What a brilliant move that most questioned at that time.

Pete Carroll when he decided to throw the ball at the goal line when he had Marshawn Lynch. Unfortunately that play didn’t work and he was criticized for it but look at him today and he’s still an awesome coach.

Same happened today with Louisa’s coach. Either way the last I saw was that you play your hardest for 48 minutes and that’s what defines the W or L.

Coaches have tough decisions to make and that’s the decision he thought would put his team in a position to win the game.

Take for example Nicky Saban in the Championship game a few years ago. He benched Jalen Hurts at halftime and went with true Freshman Tua and ended up winning. What a brilliant move that most questioned at that time.

Pete Carroll when he decided to throw the ball at the goal line when he had Marshawn Lynch. Unfortunately that play didn’t work and he was criticized for it but look at him today and he’s still an awesome coach.

Same happened today with Louisa’s coach. Either way the last I saw was that you play your hardest for 48 minutes and that’s what defines the W or L.
Sounds good but nah

Well i was surprised Louisa only scored 15.
Not sure if you were at the game, but PH shut us down in the redzone twice in the first half while we moved the ball well between the 20s, and both teams ate up a ton of a clock, especially PH. It was the type of game I expected. We may not have played each other in many years, but it's considered a rivalry.

Not sure if you were at the game, but PH shut us down in the redzone twice in the first half while we moved the ball well between the 20s, and both teams ate up a ton of a clock, especially PH. It was the type of game I expected. We may not have played each other in many years, but it's considered a rivalry.

Sounds like a good game to have on schedule in future

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Louisa beats Ponax by blocking the winning FG, winning by 1.

Louisa loses to Patrick Henry by 1 on a game winning FG.

Ponax beats Freedom on a game winning FG.

Do football gods really exist? Or is it proof how important special teams truly are? I haven't seen a high school football season like this!

Not hard winning in the JD if you care about football. Was hoping we would do something but we were not on Louisas level. Louisa is a good program but the JD does not have another school that cares about football like Louisa in our district. The JD does not help Louisa for the playoffs either. The program loses a lot after this year. So we will see what they have down the road.

I would love to see Louisa County back in the Battlefield District. We're at seven teams so plenty of room for now.

Time of possession was the key they kept Louisa offense off the field that's why we only had 15 they had the ball the entire 3rd quarter and we couldn't get them off the field.

Time of possession was the key they kept Louisa offense off the field that's why we only had 15 they had the ball the entire 3rd quarter and we couldn't get them off the field.

That’s what surprised me with that defense being so good with all of those ballers on that side of the ball. I mean after reading this post I would not have thought Louisa defense would not get beat by one man running the ball right at them. It sounds like PH controlled the tempo of the game by simply controlling the line of scrimmage. Most frustrating thing as a coach when you can’t get the ball back and you are watching the clock tick away. Again good game and good luck to PH and to the new look Lions next year.

MineralMagic

NewGood stuff everybody! Awesome to see so much talent in our region. I'll just speak on Louisa guys because they're all I've really seen this year besides the teams they've played. No doubt there are other studs throughout the region.

Offensively, I think you have to go with Jarett. He's the JD PoY and just does unreal things. His balance, vision, and ability to make people miss is crazy. Plus, the fact that he has played 3-4 different positions for Louisa means he's smart and can adapt, not just a one-trick pony. He's definitely surrounded by other big time playmakers too, which can help give him more opportunities. Louisa has guys like Robinson, X. Hunter, Washington, Shelton, and Morgan who could all arguably be PoY material too.

Defensively, it would tough to choose just one guy in Louisa. Sims got DPOY and is definitely deserving of it, but Aaron Aponte, Adrain Williams, Derrick Barbour and Alex Washington are next level defensive players. Aponte, Williams, and Barbour look basically unblocked every snap. The DC told me they have over 30 sacks between the 3 of them so far this year - Aponte with 14 of them. Washington does everything from safety to LB, is lock down in coverage and does a great job coming downhill on the run.

Reactions: one man and Senex
Louisa beats Ponax by blocking the winning FG, winning by 1.

Louisa loses to Patrick Henry by 1 on a game winning FG.

Ponax beats Freedom on a game winning FG.

Do football gods really exist? Or is it proof how important special teams truly are? I haven't seen a high school football season like this!

Special teams are very important. I saw a team not long ago who went for 2 every time (even when they were up BIG), and said that it was going to cost them down the road. Sure enough it did. And I can't count how many teams have been cost because of bad and/or slow snaps

Just a few thoughts....

I think it’s important to give PH credit. They came in and played GOOD football. They controlled the LOS on both sides and ultimately that’s what it came down to. I personally wish them the best. PH’s defense was very good. They controlled the LOS and had great pursuit to the ball. It was hard for Louisa to get into a rhythm doing anything. Their offense was able to just grind out the clock, but I don’t think it was easy on them. It’s not like it was big play after big play. I think they had to earn it and chip away a play at a time. They just were overwhelming at the point of attack and Louisa had trouble stuffing it. The QB was a phenomenal athlete and was just super elusive and hard to tackle.

Next, and this is my opinion and I understand that this whole website is to discuss these things, I get that. Buuuut, I find “bleacher coaches” extremely aggravating. It’s so easy to sit back with a hotdog in your hand and make better calls. Just go to the booth and grab a head set next time. Better yet, instead of spending time with your family every night go to practice and bestow your bounty of knowledge on the team. All coaches play to win on all teams, especially the Louisa coaches. I know several of them well enough to know that they hate losing at anything. They put the time in and more importantly they know their kids and what they’re capable of doing. They make calls based off of those decisions. I’m personally not going to question a coach that has been with a team that has gone 36-3 over the past 3 years. Some of these “fans” can be so fair-weather and quick to judge. Stop assuming you know what’s going on. Realistically, unless you’re a coach you have no clue what’s going on. Maybe the kicker was hurt or they weren’t confident - he missed an EP earlier. Maybe the coach wanted to put them in a situation where they had to score to win? I don’t know and neither does anybody else beside the players and coaches in that locker room. I’m proud of the team this year and wish PH the best if luck against Dinwiddie.

IMO, Louisa has now had 5 teams that were capable of winning it all, 2006, 2010, '17, '18, '19, and they couldn't get it done. To me, there's a glaring reason why, but that can be debated amongst everyone else, and that's all I will say.

Thank you to all the seniors who played their hearts out. Jarett & Buck Hunter, Adrain Williams, Derrick Barbour, Austin Sims, Noah Robinson, Aaron Aponte, Alex Washington, Logan Yancey, David Munoz, Gabe Cuozzo, Kalup Shelton, Will Griffis, Dwaine Robinson, Dylan Brown, and Matt Akers. You all got it done on the field and in the classroom, and can't make Louisa County anymore proud!

Last edited:
Reactions: mbonape1
IMO, Louisa has now had 5 teams that were capable of winning it all, 2006, 2010, '17, '18, '19, and they couldn't get it done. To me, there's a glaring reason why, but that can be debated amongst everyone else, and that's all I will say.

Thank you to all the seniors who played their hearts out. Jarett & Buck Hunter, Adrain Williams, Derrick Barbour, Austin Sims, Noah Robinson, Aaron Aponte, Alex Washington, Logan Yancey, David Munoz, Gabe Cuozzo, Kalup Shelton, Will Griffis, Dwaine Robinson, Dylan Brown, and Matt Akers. You all got it done on the field and in the classroom, and can't make Louisa County anymore proud!

I don't know what the reason is, and didnt see them this year, but the other years I did either in person or live video and I think they were. An unfortunate break last 3 years.

And from how it appears they will be a factor most years. And by far the greatest atmosphere (with respect to pre game and halftime) I have seen.

The perfect game for me would be the atmosphere at Louisa, with the food from Stonewall Jackson, and the team being Stuarts Draft.

For anyone who hasn't, you really need to add both Louisa and Stonewall Jackson (Quicksburg) to your football bucket list.

Reactions: MineralMagic
I don't know what the reason is, and didnt see them this year, but the other years I did either in person or live video and I think they were. An unfortunate break last 3 years.

And from how it appears they will be a factor most years. And by far the greatest atmosphere (with respect to pre game and halftime) I have seen.

The perfect game for me would be the atmosphere at Louisa, with the food from Stonewall Jackson, and the team being Stuarts Draft.

For anyone who hasn't, you really need to add both Louisa and Stonewall Jackson (Quicksburg) to your football bucket list.
What’s so good about stonewall I’m curious?

What’s so good about stonewall I’m curious?

The concession food. It's more like a restaurant. Just a few things I remember (I think some change): Chicken tenders, mozzarella sticks, my favorite is the Carroll Burger (cheeseburger with homemade chili and fried onions), they had like deep fried desserts too but that isn't something I eat. I'm thinking fried pickles, fried oreos and I am sure a bunch of other stuff as well.

I'll put it this way, this is the 1st year in awhile that they haven't been in our district, and I looked at their schedule to see if they were home on our BYE week. And it's not real close to me either

Reactions: OCBoy and Bcope83
Just a few thoughts....

I think it’s important to give PH credit. They came in and played GOOD football. They controlled the LOS on both sides and ultimately that’s what it came down to. I personally wish them the best. PH’s defense was very good. They controlled the LOS and had great pursuit to the ball. It was hard for Louisa to get into a rhythm doing anything. Their offense was able to just grind out the clock, but I don’t think it was easy on them. It’s not like it was big play after big play. I think they had to earn it and chip away a play at a time. They just were overwhelming at the point of attack and Louisa had trouble stuffing it. The QB was a phenomenal athlete and was just super elusive and hard to tackle.

Next, and this is my opinion and I understand that this whole website is to discuss these things, I get that. Buuuut, I find “bleacher coaches” extremely aggravating. It’s so easy to sit back with a hotdog in your hand and make better calls. Just go to the booth and grab a head set next time. Better yet, instead of spending time with your family every night go to practice and bestow your bounty of knowledge on the team. All coaches play to win on all teams, especially the Louisa coaches. I know several of them well enough to know that they hate losing at anything. They put the time in and more importantly they know their kids and what they’re capable of doing. They make calls based off of those decisions. I’m personally not going to question a coach that has been with a team that has gone 36-3 over the past 3 years. Some of these “fans” can be so fair-weather and quick to judge. Stop assuming you know what’s going on. Realistically, unless you’re a coach you have no clue what’s going on. Maybe the kicker was hurt or they weren’t confident - he missed an EP earlier. Maybe the coach wanted to put them in a situation where they had to score to win? I don’t know and neither does anybody else beside the players and coaches in that locker room. I’m proud of the team this year and wish PH the best if luck against Dinwiddie.

Gold!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT