Who wins

• Blacksburg

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Glass

Votes: 50 67.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the third year in a row that Blacksburg has been a contending team.
2016 3a state champion , started off 5-5 but finished with ring
beating Lord Botetourt 56-34
Brookville 63-35
Heritage 24-17
Phoebus 26-12
Staunton River 28-20

2017 12-2
lost in region championship 33-32 to Salem
2018 12-0 will play for region championship

All stats point to a close game.
Blacksburg 12-0
Glass 11-1

Biggest wins Blacksburg
Lord Botetourt 45-35
Salem 24-21
Pulaski twice

Glass
lost to Heritage in rivalry game, teams share same stadium
JF twice Byrd 28-21, Brookville

Blacksburg averages 34.5 points
points given up 11.8

Glass averages 41.5
points given up 14.4

I think Glass is where most people thought they would be where most people thought Blacksburg would drop off. Blacksburg is probably not quite as explosive offensively but better defensively than last year. Blacksburg runs the spread and will run or pass. Blacksburg QB is tall and a three year starter.
Definitely an interesting stat line but numbers don't always show the whole picture. I would be willing to bet that Glass has played a tougher schedule just by nature of the district schedule. Glass is giving up 14.4 points but two games were against the #1 offense in Region 4D, JF. JF averaged right at 50 points per game and Glass held them to 35 and 28 respectively. The 28 points was the lowest any team held JF to this year (they scored 28 on GW too).

No doubt. You can look at it both ways. Glass scored 126 points against JF, which inflated their offensive numbers. This game will come down to sustained drives and execution. Glass lost to Heritage and had a close one against Byrd. They had tough ones against JF twice, Heritage, Brookville. Blacksburg played Salem, Pulaski twice and Lord Botetourt. They beat LB by 10, who beat Byrd 34-16. LB and Northside
both beat Byrd , who was third in the Blue Ridge.Northside beat Heritage 69-26 , who beat Glass. In the end my heart and guts predict, like most computers, throwing out Heritage game, Glass in a close one. My mind says that Blacksburg could pull it out. In fact, statewide, these teams might both be underrated. I feel like the winner goes to state against either Lafayette, Lake Taylor or Dinwiddie or possibly this is the year of the Cyclones.

Reactions: VolNation85
Matchups are very important in this one. Glass run game vs Blacksburg Front (7?). ECG pass rush vs. Blacksburg passing game. Not sure of what glass will do this year, but I expect Ty Foster to play Defense and shadow Terry. He did a pretty good job last year.

Matchups are very important in this one. Glass run game vs Blacksburg Front (7?). ECG pass rush vs. Blacksburg passing game. Not sure of what glass will do this year, but I expect Ty Foster to play Defense and shadow Terry. He did a pretty good job last year.
I doubt Foster will play defense. There's really no need for him to. The Glass secondary has done a great job without him so far this year. They have 16 INTs as a unit. 18 if you count two that were caught but overturned because of penalties away from the play.

Last edited:
Reactions: lyhsports
I doubt Ty will play defense. There's really no need for him to. The Glass secondary has done a great job without him so far this year. They have 16 INTs as a unit.

That’s true. Secondary was good last year also though, even though Horsley will be playing. The secondary is much better this year. It would be good to have Ty just play offense. Just know Reeves is on the field every defensive snap this time.

Reactions: VolNation85
What's the injury report for both teams? Everyone is talking about how good both teams are but are both teams healthy? This could be a deciding factor.

Definitely an interesting stat line but numbers don't always show the whole picture. I would be willing to bet that Glass has played a tougher schedule just by nature of the district schedule. Glass is giving up 14.4 points but two games were against the #1 offense in Region 4D, JF. JF averaged right at 50 points per game and Glass held them to 35 and 28 respectively. The 28 points was the lowest any team held JF to this year (they scored 28 on GW too).
I don’t think Glass has played a tougher schedule. Northside and LB are as good as anyone Glass has played.

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Glass has not played Dinwiddie. they did play out of district 1-9 Charlottsville, Halifax and Franklin County. Franklin County is by far the best of those.

One item I will bring up is that our opinions mean nothing. We sit on here and fight about who thinks what or they played who. The game will be played on a field by players and coaches. No matter what sport I have been surprised at times. I will tell you one truth. Sometimes the best team over the course of the year does not win. The other team executes their plan better. I remember when AAA Cave Spring was 18-10 and lost most of those games when Redick was hurt.They ended up being the first basketball team , with double digit losses, to win a title since 1940. He went to Duke and has been in the NBA for years, being a very good NBA player.

Reactions: lyhsports
I don’t think Glass has played a tougher schedule. Northside and LB are as good as anyone Glass has played.
Blacksburg didn’t play Northside. And what about after LB? Salem and Pulaski are good but they would have finished 5th place or lower in the Seminole this year.

Last edited:
Heritage lost to Northside about 40 and they were the champs. I think the game before that Northside beat the third place team in River Ridge by 1. North side had a running clock against Heritage.

Liberty is decent but they are in a lousy region in the playoffs. Brookville hasn't been good down the stretch. Blacksburg, Pulaski and Salem all would hold their own against the top three in Seminole. Roanoke area has much better football right now the last few years. Salem, Northside, Lord Botetourt, Glenvar,William Byrd and even Staunton River the last couple.

The Seminole is the best district top to bottom in this area. Salem scrimmaged brookville and got beat down. Now I understand Salem always is bad in scrimmages but Salem was down this year. The northside vs heritage game is hard to explain, but it’s football. I believe glass is better than heritage this year they were just not better that day. I say all of this not to diminish Blacksburg because they are legit and I expect a one score game decided in the 4th quarter

Liberty is decent but they are in a lousy region in the playoffs. Brookville hasn't been good down the stretch. Blacksburg, Pulaski and Salem all would hold their own against the top three in Seminole. Roanoke area has much better football right now the last few years. Salem, Northside, Lord Botetourt, Glenvar,William Byrd and even Staunton River the last couple.
We're just gonna have to agree to disagree LOL

Reactions: freeatlast2013
One item I will bring up is that our opinions mean nothing. We sit on here and fight about who thinks what or they played who. The game will be played on a field by players and coaches. No matter what sport I have been surprised at times. I will tell you one truth. Sometimes the best team over the course of the year does not win. The other team executes their plan better. I remember when AAA Cave Spring was 18-10 and lost most of those games when Redick was hurt.They ended up being the first basketball team , with double digit losses, to win a title since 1940. He went to Duke and has been in the NBA for years, being a very good NBA player.
I was at the state semi final game when J.J. lit up the Vines Center with a couple of 3's from just past half court. What a talent J.J. is.

The Seminole is the best district top to bottom in this area. Salem scrimmaged brookville and got beat down. Now I understand Salem always is bad in scrimmages but Salem was down this year. The northside vs heritage game is hard to explain, but it’s football. I believe glass is better than heritage this year they were just not better that day. I say all of this not to diminish Blacksburg because they are legit and I expect a one score game decided in the 4th quarter
River Ridge won Div 4 and Div 3 titles in 2016. So I would think that is pretty good. This yr the Seminole is good at the top as usual. The Blue Ridge is also good at the top. Brookville and Liberty-Bedford are on par with Byrd and Pulaski. The bottom of the District I will give the Seminole the edge. Amherst would beat Hidden Valley and Cave Spring this yr. I’m not sure about Rustburg. The bottom of the Blue Ridge is really bad. So at the top I think all three districts are on par. At the bottom I take the Seminole.

River Ridge won Div 4 and Div 3 titles in 2016. So I would think that is pretty good. This yr the Seminole is good at the top as usual. The Blue Ridge is also good at the top. Brookville and Liberty-Bedford are on par with Byrd and Pulaski. The bottom of the District I will give the Seminole the edge. Amherst would beat Hidden Valley and Cave Spring this yr. I’m not sure about Rustburg. The bottom of the Blue Ridge is really bad. So at the top I think all three districts are on par. At the bottom I take the Seminole.
Rustburg would have dragged river ridge’s bottom half. Also would have snuck up on one of top teams out there.

Who each other played certainly doesnt matter at this point. It mattered a little in regular season because of points.

But come on fellas, let's keep the same standard for each, i.e. scrimmages. If you are going to count one, then count another, not use a scrimmage of 2 teams not involved in the game to try and make a point, and not use games between teams that arent involved, especially when you want to just throw out the results of a game.

Dont know much about either team, but just reading it doesnt seem like anybody is expecting a blowout, but trying to use these things that dont matter for the discussion would have you believe Blacksburg will win by 6+ touchdowns since Northside beat Heritage so bad and Heritage beat Glass.

I could semi get on board with the "who played the seemingly harder schedule" but to use a result of a game here or there, even trying to use scrimmages to say teams (who aren't playing anymore) would be way down in a district seems like a unnecessary shot to me. You can always use one specific parameter to beef up your argument, but so can someone else. 6 degrees of separation can give you about 25 teams who would be the "best."

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Hope everyone enjoyed themselves, had lots of things to be thankful for, which quite a ways down that list would be football, as there are a lot of people who have things to be thankful for as well as reasons to have a heavy heart

Just for the record I didn’t try to use the dinwiddie game, someone said Glass played them and then somebody said they didn’t. I was just pointing out correctly it was a scrimmage. I personally think the 8 teams left in 4a are all capable of winning the title. Blacksburg and glass are both really good football teams and I am excited to see how they match up. Could be an instant classic.

Okay I’m going to the tech game at 3:30. I am gonna park over by the Panera Bread by the University book store. I think it’s like a 20 minute walk to Lane stadium. If I’m not frozen over I may try to make it to Blacksburg high school for the game. How far is the high school from that location? Also what time do you think I would need to leave the tech game to make the walk back over to the car and drive to the high school by 7pm?? Thanks!

Okay I’m going to the tech game at 3:30. I am gonna park over by the Panera Bread by the University book store. I think it’s like a 20 minute walk to Lane stadium. If I’m not frozen over I may try to make it to Blacksburg high school for the game. How far is the high school from that location? Also what time do you think I would need to leave the tech game to make the walk back over to the car and drive to the high school by 7pm?? Thanks!
This game is at Christiansburg High School, not Blacksburg High School.

Reactions: btowenatc
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT