ADVERTISEMENT

REMATCH... Gretna travels to Appo this time !

The name Gridiron and liking turf just doesn’t jive. Lol!
Yea bud, not much turf up this way unless you are at a bigger school.
Appo field will be much better than Gretna’s I would think.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Appomattox field definitely better shape . Gretna needs to start investing some money into there The facilities . Get rid of That water wheel install some sprinklers !!!

Gretna’s field is not that bad. Looks bad because has some dead spots where nobody bothers using water wheel to water last summer. It has not been played on any rain and is not tore up none.

Gretna’s field is not that bad. Looks bad because has some dead spots where nobody bothers using water wheel to water last summer. It has not been played on any rain and is not tore up none.
There is a big difference in the upkeep of the facilities in Pittsylvania County. Tunstall’s fields are probably the best kept south of Louisa County (fields that use natural grass). Is the county in charge of the fields or is it up to the school?

County does nothing to them. Boosters have maintained Gretna’s field for years along with buying them new uniforms every two years, buys their cleats and padded girdles every year. County has never done nothing for the facilities all booster clubs. Yes Tunstall field is best but they on end of county that gets all the money spent on them.

Went to college at Bluefield Baptist, wont impressed with it then.

Gretna has played there twice. One of the nicest stadiums they have played at. First time was an epic game up there in the sleet with Vic Hall playing Ahmed Bradshaw. Gretna pulled that one out and the following weekend won their first title.
And the 2nd time, Gretna put a whipping on a Graham team going through a serious funk. Since then, the stadium has had numerous upgrades and so has the team. Take a look at the link.

https://www.smokingmusket.com/2019/...h-school-football-stadium-is-in-west-virginia

County does nothing to them. Boosters have maintained Gretna’s field for years along with buying them new uniforms every two years, buys their cleats and padded girdles every year. County has never done nothing for the facilities all booster clubs. Yes Tunstall field is best but they on end of county that gets all the money spent on them.
I agree, I went to Tunstall and they get everything. Buddy Brown used to cut the field personally. I’m hopeful the Hawks can make some noise Friday. Been a long time coming.

Does either Appo or Gretna have turf? I was thinking Appo did not but wasn’t sure about Gretna.

Dont think u should be too worried. Look what Graham did to Union on their grass field. I dont see anyone beating Graham as long as they stay healthy, disciplined and dont overlook anyone. To beat Union like that on their home field was impressive. They're just loaded. Held Union to 0 first downs in the first half with a bruiser like Polier in the backfield. Are you kidding me? Just unbelievable!

APPO APPO HERE WE GO, HERE WE GO. GIVE ME SOME OF THAT CHURCH CLAP, HERE WE GO. SINGLE WING LOL BETTER BRING A BUCKET FULL THE RAIDERS ARE HUNGRY. On a very serious note, i pray for a good injury free game of all players, good luck to my gretna friends here and in gretna.

thankfully for all 2A, it's not 2016 and that same buzzsaw lol. That 2016 team was a MACHINE and j is destroyed everyone. Although I would love to see that physical 2016 Appo team against the last couple of Graham teams. Both teams had the athletes to cover the others and both had electric QBs and smothering defenses.

I do have a question, has Appo always been such an overtly religious team? Has that caused any issues? I know 99% of people around the area are religious and stuff, but I was never religious and I might have felt uncomfortable playing under someone who was so outwardly religious and seemingly made it a part of the team. I'm not trying to raise a fuss whatsoever, if the Appo kids and program is cool with it I have no issues with it, was jus curious if that has ever been an issue.

Appo community as a whole is a religious farming community. Old school values which are dimminishing as they are everywhere. Coach Smith is an overtly religious man with a strong Christian faith which makes him a great fit for Appo. I've always been curious about the religion part myself in that to my knowledge has never been an issue. It was a big issue at Heritage and main reason Coach Smith is no longer there. None of the players or whatever are forced into prayer circles or participate in any way. Staff and players are not joined together so there is public seperation from religion. Coach Smith does a great job coaching in all phases and not just on the field. He truely wants and tries to teach the kids to do the right thing and be successful in life no matter what that may be.
Yeah that 2016 team was unstoppable, those boys played together from the first time they ever played football as kids, it's great to watch them back when they were 7 yr old mites lol.

Appo community as a whole is a religious farming community. Old school values which are dimminishing as they are everywhere. Coach Smith is an overtly religious man with a strong Christian faith which makes him a great fit for Appo. I've always been curious about the religion part myself in that to my knowledge has never been an issue. It was a big issue at Heritage and main reason Coach Smith is no longer there. None of the players or whatever are forced into prayer circles or participate in any way. Staff and players are not joined together so there is public seperation from religion. Coach Smith does a great job coaching in all phases and not just on the field. He truely wants and tries to teach the kids to do the right thing and be successful in life no matter what that may be.
Yeah that 2016 team was unstoppable, those boys played together from the first time they ever played football as kids, it's great to watch them back when they were 7 yr old mites lol.

I didn't figure anyone was forced into anything, that's a big issue waiting to happen lol. But I could see if a kid wasn't religious but felt pressure to participate in those activities to be a team player, I jus always wonder about that. Clemson is the same way, very overtly religious and uses it as a big recruiting tool. I have no issues with it if everyone is cool with it. I was jus curious if there was ever any discussion with Smith about it, you don't wanna see anyone ostracized for their beliefs either way, but at the HS level in the area, it usually doesn't matter as most everyone has the same religious leanings.

Reactions: oldfool2
We love Coach Smith for ALL he does for these kids.
His service for these boys goes soo far beyond football. He truly is a dad to a lot of these boys and the only “positive” that a lot of them get to experience.
thankfully for all 2A, it's not 2016 and that same buzzsaw lol. That 2016 team was a MACHINE and j is destroyed everyone. Although I would love to see that physical 2016 Appo team against the last couple of Graham teams. Both teams had the athletes to cover the others and both had electric QBs and smothering defenses.

I do have a question, has Appo always been such an overtly religious team? Has that caused any issues? I know 99% of people around the area are religious and stuff, but I was never religious and I might have felt uncomfortable playing under someone who was so outwardly religious and seemingly made it a part of the team. I'm not trying to raise a fuss whatsoever, if the Appo kids and program is cool with it I have no issues with it, was jus curious if that has ever been an issue.

28-0. Looked like Gretna was moving the ball, inside the Appo 25 and then the QB throws the game ender INT that was returned for a TD. Hard to understand his process there, just threw it up on first down.

Game ended up 35-14 with Gretna scoring on some of the “two’s”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT