ADVERTISEMENT

REMATCH... Gretna travels to Appo this time !

Correction on correction. Union came to Appo on 11/28/2015

Sometimes other things are more important. Hope your doing well.

Union lost to Clarke County in 2015. They did play Appomattox until 2016. 100%.

https://www.maxpreps.com/high-schoo...(appalachia,va)/football-fall-15/schedule.htm

They played at Appo in 2016 (big Appo win) and in BSG in 2017 (very tight Appo win, a fantastic game. Appo dominated first half, Union dominated second half but couldn't complete comeback. ST killed Union).

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
That wont supposed to post, caught my error and thought i had cancelled it.

LOL it's cool, I wish they had played in 2015. Union had defeated Richlands that year, they were a very, very good team that just didn't show up in Berryville and played sloppy. In the current system, Union would have been playing at home that game and they are a much better team at home.

Reactions: oldfool2
Just a few numbers for those saying officiating was unfair. Gretna had 5 penalties for 35 yds. Appo had 6 penalties for 40 yds.

Just a few numbers for those saying officiating was unfair. Gretna had 5 penalties for 35 yds. Appo had 6 penalties for 40 yds.
I was disappointed in some non calls from officials. Namely a couple pass interference that were not called. Also the Gretna td that was ruled out of bounds. What we saw on tape was interesting and i will let it go at that. But officials did not cost Gretna the game. Appomattox was once again just better. Their O and D lines were better than ours. Congrats to Appomattox.

I was disappointed in some non calls from officials. Namely a couple pass interference that were not called. Also the Gretna td that was ruled out of bounds. What we saw on tape was interesting and i will let it go at that. But officials did not cost Gretna the game. Appomattox was once again just better. Their O and D lines were better than ours. Congrats to Appomattox.
Another reply to Hawknation about boosters, county buying stuff and maintaining fields at gretna. County gives each of the four high schools an athletic supplement. It is left up to each school how they use it. It is not enough but it is what it is. You have to provide for non revenue sports as well as revenue sports. Boosters do not buy uniforms, girdles, etc. The school does. Boosters in the past did buy jerseys when Coach Saunders starting let seniors have their jerseys but the school buys the majority of what the football team needs.

Another reply to Hawknation about boosters, county buying stuff and maintaining fields at gretna. County gives each of the four high schools an athletic supplement. It is left up to each school how they use it. It is not enough but it is what it is. You have to provide for non revenue sports as well as revenue sports. Boosters do not buy uniforms, girdles, etc. The school does. Boosters in the past did buy jerseys when Coach Saunders starting let seniors have their jerseys but the school buys the majority of what the football team needs.
As for the Gretna field it is in poor condition. It does not drain well and it actually drains onto the field on the visitors side. It is weedy with numerous grasses and weeds competing for space. Press box and restrooms are embarressing to say the least. Tunstall has the best football facilities but it is not because they get more money. Their boosters work hard and SPEND the money on the facilities. I understand they had people who co signed loans to build that nice field and the really nice lights. Kudos to Tunstall fans and boosters.

Colonel, I think many small schools face the same budget concerns. My wife and I coach cross country. Our program is given $350 each year from the school to use on the program. $330 of that is to be used on Invitational fees that we're expected to attend. The school nor the boosters buy us uniforms or warm-ups. We have to fundraise to buy anything. Luckily we have supportive parents who work hard and then we have to spend our money wisely. It's hard being a small school with small budgets.

Colonel, I think many small schools face the same budget concerns. My wife and I coach cross country. Our program is given $350 each year from the school to use on the program. $330 of that is to be used on Invitational fees that we're expected to attend. The school nor the boosters buy us uniforms or warm-ups. We have to fundraise to buy anything. Luckily we have supportive parents who work hard and then we have to spend our money wisely. It's hard being a small school with small budgets.
It is sad that they at least dont buy uniforms for you folks. Gretna does buy uniforms for track/cc but warm,ups would be a booster fund raiser. At gretna we dont have one booster club but each sport or activity has its own club.

In my opinion Gretna somehow missed the boat on upgrading football facilities back between 2003 and 2011 , during which time they won 5 state championships. When you're no longer winning state championships, it's a lot harder to get stuff done.

Colonel 72 is correct about the restrooms and press box at Gretna. It's hard to comprehend those 2 areas are as bad as they are. The county spent 11,000 dollars to build the press box, which was very poorly designed and built. Someone should have visited other stadiums to obtain ideas about how a press box should be, then draw up the plans.
As for restrooms, it would probably be better if they planted bushes for fans to "go behind".

When I said boosters bought jerseys during Saunders tenure I meant that they bought only replacement jerseys for the ones given to seniors. We dont do that any longer and school buys ALL football paraphanalia.

We miss ya big guy!
thanks bro! Yeah, i like the boards but there are some super sensitive people on here that I like to avoid. Plus....I dont live in Appo anymore but i do watch the games via FB...so i dont know as much about the kids. Thats why I get on here and read post for the most part....My brother HolyFrog keeps me up to date as well, he goes to all the games as well.

But i do go to games out here in Hampton Roads. I enjoy watching Phoebus High who recently lost to Hopewell. Maury is a solid program in Norfolk. Lake Taylor is fun to watch as well in Chesapeake. LT is a school that runs same O that Appomattox runs. I remember coach smith saying only 4 schools in state run it.

Hope all is well though

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT