ADVERTISEMENT

respect for Champe now...?

Champe can beat Salem......Jefferson Forest is quite another conversation.
What differentiates JF & Salem in your mind? JF is good no doubt, but Salem is right there with JF with a better defense. If Champe is in an obvious passing situation look out for 36 & 38 coming from the DE's. They are the Ramsey brothers and they have a good 20 yard burst of speed!

What differentiates JF & Salem in your mind? JF is good no doubt, but Salem is right there with JF with a better defense. If Champe is in an obvious passing situation look out for 36 & 38 coming from the DE's. They are the Ramsey brothers and they have a good 20 yard burst of speed!

top to bottom i would agree...probably toughest overall (matt g. would certainly agree), but looking at the brackets I just keep going back to how interesting 4a is.... both east and west, and while i still think the east is probably better I still view it as the most competitive classification in the state.
Is the east really better top to bottom or does the east just have the best team in LT?

In my opinion, Champe matches up much better with Salem (trust me that the coaches at JC know much more about Salem than anyone in this board knew about the Knights.). What differentiates JF from Salem, Champe, and Woodgrove????
NAVY JONES.

In my opinion, Champe matches up much better with Salem (trust me that the coaches at JC know much more about Salem than anyone in this board knew about the Knights.). What differentiates JF from Salem, Champe, and Woodgrove????
NAVY JONES.
I believe Woodgrove can score more points and their defense can get more stops to pull it out.

“It was a tough game,” GW coach Nick Anderson said. “I hate it for our seniors. They fought hard all year long, and we’re going to miss them.”

With the game tied at 13, the Knights (11-0) took over at the GW 47 with 4:21 remaining in the game.

On the second play of the drive, Knights quarterback Zach Burdick found a lane after extending the play, and took off for 19 of his team-high 113 yards rushing.

“We knew that’s what was going to happen,” Anderson said. “If he didn’t see what he liked, and found a lane, he was going to take off. He did a good job with that. He ran hard all night.”

But it looked like the Eagles (10-2) would force a long field goal with over a minute left, after stopping John Champe at the GW 25 on third down. A dead-ball personal foul call changed that.

“They said it was pushing and shoving, which I thought was a tough call with just over a minute left in the game,” Anderson said. “We were getting a stop right there, it was going to be fourth down, and it ends up being half the distance to the goal. In a pile, when tackles are being made, shoving is tough to call.”

The Knights drove nine more yards to the GW 4, before deciding to kick the field goal on fourth and short.

GW had 38 seconds left to answer, and caught a break when John Champe hit the kickoff out of bounds, but only gained 10 yards on a Sam Branch scramble.

John Champe’s opening drive proved to be a deciding factor, as two trick plays helped John Champe to an early 7-0 lead in an otherwise defensive battle.

John Champe started the game with an onside kick, and then completed a 33-yard pass off a fake punt, after it looked like the Eagles (10-2) had forced a three-and-out.

Burdick scored two plays later on a 13-yard run for the early score.

GW didn’t score until late into the second quarter, after collecting the only turnover of the game.

Burdick fumbled the snap after John Champe drove to the GW 16, and senior linebacker John Stevens dove through the line to recover the fumble.

The Eagles then put together an 11-play, 81-yard drive, capped by a 10-yard CJ Graves touchdown to tie the game at 7. It was also the Eagles most productive drive through the air, as quarterback Sam Branch completed four passes for 55 yards.

Stevens came up big again in the middle of the third quarter.

John Champe once again drove into the red zone, but Stevens came up with a five-yard sack on 3rd and 10, and then blocked the field goal on fourth down.

But after a GW three-and-out, John Champe got the ball back at its 42 and scored three plays later.

GW pushed the Knights backwards to start the drive, forcing a 3rd and 17, but Burdick found Carl Garmon wide open up the right sideline for an easy 65-yard touchdown. A failed two-point conversion made it 13-7.

“It was a wheel route, and we were in man,” Anderson said. “Our guy just missed it.”

With GW’s offense continuing to struggle, Graves came up with a big play for the equalizer in the fourth quarter.

The senior tailback found a crease up the left sideline, shook off a tackle, and sprinted just out the reach of a hoard of Knights defenders for the 75-yard touchdown run. A missed PAT left the game tied at 13.

“The offensive line did a good job blocking,” Anderson said. “Graves was able to take off and run, he even broke a tackle and almost got tripped up. It was a great run by CJ.”

Graves finished the game with a game-high 137 yards rushing on 16 carries, and both GW touchdowns.

Reactions: OCBoy
NAVY JONES.
They have more than just Jones, don't forget about Miller. On the Salem side you've got guys like Donte Clayborne, Alex Ramsey, Viante Tucker. It's a team game & both sides have home run hitters!

Reactions: VolNation85
I know Trent-Miller is a very good player as are Salems skill players. I think Jones is just on a different level. I would be curious to see what his career total touchdowns would be (rushing and returns.)

Is the east really better top to bottom or does the east just have the best team in LT?

Others will disagree but I think east is better. Whomever comes out of is going to be better than the west. Hanover this season is better than Salem's line last season and cheetam is pretty good too. Hanover IMO is better than what Salem had last season on the offensive side. Probably not as good as Salem defensively last season though.

Others will disagree but I think east is better. Whomever comes out of is going to be better than the west. Hanover this season is better than Salem's line last season and cheetam is pretty good too. Hanover IMO is better than what Salem had last season on the offensive side. Probably not as good as Salem defensively last season though.
I for one disagree but everyone is entitled to their opinion. Do you have a prediction for the final?

I know Trent-Miller is a very good player as are Salems skill players. I think Jones is just on a different level. I would be curious to see what his career total touchdowns would be (rushing and returns.)
I agree, Navy is a different type of player but people seem to forget that in front of every great RB is a great offensive line (except for Barry Sanders and the Lions). I coach at a school in the same district as JF so I have witnessed first hand how big and how good the JF OL is. It has been very rare this year for any of JF's backs to be hit prior to being 4-5 yards down field. Combine that with two players the caliber of Navy and Cam and any defense is going to have problems.

Lake Taylor and JF if JF stays healthy. Lake Taylor repeats. But what do I know.
That's what I want to say too but I'm not 100% sure JF will be able to slow down Salem's offense enough to get past them. Of course this is assuming both Salem and JF win next weekend, neither or their games next week is a sure win.

They couldn't meet in the finals since 4A doesn't cross bracket the semis. They would play each other in the semis.
Woodgrove plays JF and Salem plays John Champe...I predict Woodgrove and Salem to win...My point is that one of the LC schools will win

Woodgrove plays JF and Salem plays John Champe...I predict Woodgrove and Salem to win...My point is that one of the LC schools will win
I agree I expect the same thing to play out as last year in what Liberty did to JF just this time it will be Big ole Woodgrove

Woodgrove is my second team out of the west. I think Salem beats champe but I think woodgrove or JF get Salem. Not knocking Salem they are good I just think they lost too much from last season and JF and woodgrove return a lot of the same players.

I got you. I misunderstood your post. I thought you were referencing the post about the finals prediction.

Reactions: Daboyz19
As
I agree, Navy is a different type of player but people seem to forget that in front of every great RB is a great offensive line (except for Barry Sanders and the Lions). I coach at a school in the same district as JF so I have witnessed first hand how big and how good the JF OL is. It has been very rare this year for any of JF's backs to be hit prior to being 4-5 yards down field. Combine that with two players the caliber of Navy and Cam and any defense is going to have problems.
Look I have seen JF and Hanover in person as good as they are up front Hanover is better and this is not an opinion. I could not believe how physical Hanover is up front. JF is good for the west and I really think they can come out of the west. I am really thinking of going to watch the champe game I am not family with them at all.

As

Look I have seen JF and Hanover in person as good as they are up front Hanover is better and this is not an opinion. I could not believe how physical Hanover is up front. JF is good for the west and I really think they can come out of the west. I am really thinking of going to watch the champe game I am not family with them at all.
I was thinking about going to that game as well but I'll probably head to Appomattox to watch them play Richlands in the 2A West region. Appomattox is loaded! No doubt JF has the best individual player but Appomattox might be the best all around tram in the Lynchburg area, hands down they have the best D, they only give up a little more than 6 points a game.

I don't know much about Hanover outside of the school colors, mascot, and they have an elite baseball program. What type of offense do they run?

I have not seen Appomattox, but they are not too far from where I live 45 min drive. Hanover is a read-option offense out of mostly pistol.

I have not seen Appomattox, but they are not too far from where I live 45 min drive. Hanover is a read-option offense out of mostly pistol.
Tough offense to stop if they have a smart qb.

I think the Appomattox game would be worth the drive and not just for Appomattox. From what I hear, Richlands is big, strong, and fast across the board. Both teams are almost mirror images of each other with Appomattox having a slight edge at the skill position but Richlands is probably better up front. Both teams are well coached and Richlands fans always travels well. Should make for a great environment and game. Any games this late in the playoffs should be a great game.

Totally agree and I wouldn't say that anyone in the West, other than Salem, is more respected than Champe right now with the possible exception of JF who earned a lot last season.
I just haven't heard any disrespect for them at all. Just when you look at the west from my perspective the teams I notice are Salem and Jefferson Forest. So that's the two teams I've talked about the most.

Tough offense to stop if they have a smart qb.

I think the Appomattox game would be worth the drive and not just for Appomattox. From what I hear, Richlands is big, strong, and fast across the board. Both teams are almost mirror images of each other with Appomattox having a slight edge at the skill position but Richlands is probably better up front. Both teams are well coached and Richlands fans always travels well. Should make for a great environment and game. Any games this late in the playoffs should be a great game.
Well their line is so physical and with a qb that is 6'3" 230-240 lbs. and he appears to read well they are tough. Devils has commented before though that Hanover may use cheetham too much and that's why the kid is hurt a lot..I don't really know if true or not but he would have a valid opinion.

I just haven't heard any disrespect for them at all. Just when you look at the west from my perspective the teams I notice are Salem and Jefferson Forest. So that's the two teams I've talked about the most.

Respect and disrespect are just words that people conjure up these days without giving an ounce of thought to what they mean.

Everyone respects all the teams and all the players, that's why we all follow the games so closely. The thing these days seems to be that people want the respect that championship teams get before they actually earn their rings.

Respect goes to all. Higher levels of respect follow jewelry and postseason accomplishment.

Respect and disrespect are just words that people conjure up these days without giving an ounce of thought to what they mean.

Everyone respects all the teams and all the players, that's why we all follow the games so closely. The thing these days seems to be that people want the respect that championship teams get before they actually earn their rings.

Respect goes to all. Higher levels of respect follow jewelry and postseason accomplishment.
tumblr_mtq7clXDuL1rikwsko1_400.gif

Didnt have to be at the game to recognize sore loser comments lol

I was at the champe game.... and agree the ejection of the kid was questionable.

But Champe did not play all that well. Had a sure TD pass dropped and another off the finger tips, and ran out the clock twice in the first half instead of attacking like normal.

Your correct this should have been a 2 TD game, but Champ should have won by the two scores.

Looking forward to seeing salem in person...

Don't know much about JC but this I do know....they've run the table thus far so I would not discount them if I were Salem. Undefeated is difficult regardless of your schedule. Comparing scores is sometimes grabbing low hanging fruit (and I am as guilty as anyone) when determining an outcome of a future game.

Playing at home should be an advantage for JC but Salem's players have experienced deep playoff runs. I don't have a dog in this fight but hope that both teams play well and that all in attendance see a good game.

Win or lose, any team still playing has experienced a very good season. Safe travels to all who are supporting their teams this weekend and in future weeks.

Reactions: hokievt96
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT